• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tac Ops Drag Bag Question

clj94104

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2011
United States
I am in the market for a drag bag but am a little lost on what I want to do. I hear so many good things about the Tac Ops drag bag, but am a little lost as to why it costs $100 more than the Condor, Eagle, etc. A lot of people are very happy with these bags, and I am sure for good reason, I was just hoping for some insight from people who have experience with them.

Thanks in advance,

~Chris

Re: Tac Ops Drag Bag Question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in the market for a drag bag but am a little lost on what I want to do. I hear so many good things about the Tac Ops drag bag, but am a little lost as to why it costs $100 more than the Condor, Eagle, etc. A lot of people are very happy with these bags, and I am sure for good reason, I was just hoping for some insight from people who have experience with them.

Thanks in advance,

~Chris </div></div>
Chris -

There are very good reasons that the Tac Ops Drag Bag costs more than most other drag bags: It is of the highest quality thoroughout, it has the most extensive feature set of any "conventional" drag bag around, is 100% made in the U.S.A., and it has a lifetime warranty. It's probably overkill for most on this site, but buying quality gear that lasts usually saves money in the long run. No other drag bag really compares.

All that said, questions like your's have been asked and answered many, many times here, and in fact one was asked and answered about three weeks ago in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">MG-70</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Any objective comparisons of drag bags?"</span></span> thread. Below are three quotes from that thread which summarize your question:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's the TacOps bags, and then there's everything else. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MG-70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What makes it better? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's easy:

The TO DBs' are 100% Made in the U.S. out of top quality materials. They have more than enough storage pockets and are built sturdily enough that you can carry a full-size spotting scope, tripod, lens cleaning kit, range finder, binoculars, data book, Kestrel, spare bipod, cleaning rod and cleaning supplies, bean bags, and several hundred rounds of ammo and still have additional capacity. They also offer the most comprehensive features in any convention drag bag around. One of the great things about the Tac Ops DBs' is that you can pack everything you need in the bag so you don't forget anything. If the Tac Ops Drag Bag has a downside I'd say that you can carry too much in it and it becomes a fat, heavy bitch.

Tac Ops Drag Bags' currently come in two sizes: "<span style="font-weight: bold">SHORT</span>" and "<span style="font-weight: bold">LONG/Regular</span>". <span style="font-weight: bold">SHORT Drag Bags will accomodate tactical rifles with OALs' of up to 43.5" mounted with a large scope. "LONG/Regular" Drag Bags will accomodate tactical rifles with OALs' of up to 51.0" mounted with a large scope. All Tac Ops products are 100% manufactured in the Los Angeles, California area.</span>

I want to point-out that the dimensions of the (included) Shooting Mat are approximately 48.5" LONG x 25.25" WIDE. I say this because the dimensions given in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Carter Mayfield</span></span>'s 2010 quote of me stated that the Shooting Mat dimensions were larger. That was because the Shooting Mats of older (Gen 3 and earler) Tac Ops Drag Bags were larger.

Now, I may have missed something (I don't think I did), but below are the main features of the Tac Ops Gen 5 Plus Drag Bag:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">- Heavy Duty 1000 Denier Cordura Construction

- Heavy Duty Double Pull Zippers

- Heavy Duty, properly positioned Carry Handles for level-carry

- Fully padded throughout with Closed Cell Foam

- Large Exterior Zippered Pocket with Single Hold-Down and

- Zippered "Slash" Pocket

- Detachable "Nose Cone" with HD Buckle attachment

- Large Exterior Pocket with Double Hold-Downs

- Metal-grommet Drain Holes on Exterior Pockets

- Fully-padded Exterior Suppressor Pocket with HD Buckle Closure

- Fully-padded Stow-Away Shooting Mat stores in Hide-Away Pocket on Rear of Drag Bag

- Fully-padded Stow-Away Backpack Straps store in Hide-Away Pockets on Rear of Drag Bag

- Fully-padded Rifle Compartment with Dual Rifle Hold-Downs

- Zippered Accessory in Rifle Compartment for additional storage

- Full Length Cleaning Rod Pocket along Spine inside Rifle Compartment with Snap Closure

- Routing holes and/or slits for Hydration Bladder tube (Hydration Bladder not included)

- Tac Ops Lifetime Warranty</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-size: 14pt">**BELOW ARE SOME PHOTOS OF MY PERSONAL TAC OPS X-RAY 51 IN A TAC OPS GEN 5 PLUS SHORT MULTICAM DRAG BAG. <span style="color: #FF0000">**ALL CURRENT (GEN 5 PLUS) TAC OPS DRAG BAGS HAVE THE SAME EXACT FEATURES**</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">The OAL of my Tac Ops X-Ray is 42.5", and it fits perfectly in a SHORT Tac Ops DB. Below is my X-Ray 51 in a SHORT Multicam Tac Ops Drag Bag.</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">21.5" barrel (42.5" OAL) Tac Ops X-Ray 51 in SHORT Multicam Drag Bag. (LONG Bags accomodate OALs' of 50-51")</span></span>
X-Ray51inSHORTMultiCamGen5Plus28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Front of Tac Ops Multicam Drag Bag:</span></span>
TOGen5PlusSHORTMultiCamFRONT8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Rear of Tac Ops Multicam Drag Bag:</span></span>
TOGen5PlusSHORTMultiCamREAR8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Detachable Nose of Tac Ops Multicam Drag Bag:</span></span>
TOGen5MuzzleCoverBuckleCUMultiCam8x6.jpg

TOGen5DBCoverRemovedMultiCam8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Butt-end Outer Zip Pockets and Closed-Cell Foam Padded Suppressor Pocket w/Heavy-Duty Buckle:</span></span>
TODBExteriorREARPocketSuppressorPocketMultiCam8x6.jpg

TODBOPENExteriorREARPocketSuppressorPocketMultiCam8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Included Closed Cell Foam-padded Hide-Away Shooting Mat measures approximately 48.5" LONG x 25.25" WIDE:</span></span>
TacOpsShootingMatMultiCam8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The Shooting Mat stores in a Hide-Away Pocket on the rear of the Tac Ops Drag Bag. Now you see it:</span></span>
Hide-AwayShootingMatMultiCam8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">...and now you dont:</span></span>
Hide-AwayShoulderStrapShootingMatPockets8x6.jpg

Keith </div></div>

Re: Tac Ops Drag Bag Question

Just pulled the trigger on a long Tac Ops multicam drag bag from Liberty Optics. Nice present from the old lady for Valentine's Day.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in the market for a drag bag but am a little lost on what I want to do. I hear so many good things about the Tac Ops drag bag, but am a little lost as to why it costs $100 more than the Condor, Eagle, etc. A lot of people are very happy with these bags, and I am sure for good reason, I was just hoping for some insight from people who have experience with them.

Thanks in advance,

~Chris </div></div>
Chris -

There are very good reasons that the Tac Ops Drag Bag costs more than most other drag bags: It is of the highest quality thoroughout, it has the most extensive feature set of any "conventional" drag bag around, is 100% made in the U.S.A., and it has a lifetime warranty. It's probably overkill for most on this site, but buying quality gear that lasts usually saves money in the long run. No other drag bag really compares.

All that said, questions like your's have been asked and answered many, many times here, and in fact one was asked and answered about three weeks ago in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">MG-70</span></span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Any objective comparisons of drag bags?"</span></span> thread. Below are three quotes from that thread which summarize your question:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's the TacOps bags, and then there's everything else. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MG-70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What makes it better? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's easy:

The TO DBs' are 100% Made in the U.S. out of top quality materials. They have more than enough storage pockets and are built sturdily enough that you can carry a full-size spotting scope, tripod, lens cleaning kit, range finder, binoculars, data book, Kestrel, spare bipod, cleaning rod and cleaning supplies, bean bags, and several hundred rounds of ammo and still have additional capacity. They also offer the most comprehensive features in any convention drag bag around. One of the great things about the Tac Ops DBs' is that you can pack everything you need in the bag so you don't forget anything. If the Tac Ops Drag Bag has a downside I'd say that you can carry too much in it and it becomes a fat, heavy bitch.

Tac Ops Drag Bags' currently come in two sizes: "<span style="font-weight: bold">SHORT</span>" and "<span style="font-weight: bold">LONG/Regular</span>". <span style="font-weight: bold">SHORT Drag Bags will accomodate tactical rifles with OALs' of up to 43.5" mounted with a large scope. "LONG/Regular" Drag Bags will accomodate tactical rifles with OALs' of up to 51.0" mounted with a large scope. All Tac Ops products are 100% manufactured in the Los Angeles, California area.</span>

I want to point-out that the dimensions of the (included) Shooting Mat are approximately 48.5" LONG x 25.25" WIDE. I say this because the dimensions given in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Carter Mayfield</span></span>'s 2010 quote of me stated that the Shooting Mat dimensions were larger. That was because the Shooting Mats of older (Gen 3 and earler) Tac Ops Drag Bags were larger.

Now, I may have missed something (I don't think I did), but below are the main features of the Tac Ops Gen 5 Plus Drag Bag:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">- Heavy Duty 1000 Denier Cordura Construction

- Heavy Duty Double Pull Zippers

- Heavy Duty, properly positioned Carry Handles for level-carry

- Fully padded throughout with Closed Cell Foam

- Large Exterior Zippered Pocket with Single Hold-Down and

- Zippered "Slash" Pocket

- Detachable "Nose Cone" with HD Buckle attachment

- Large Exterior Pocket with Double Hold-Downs

- Metal-grommet Drain Holes on Exterior Pockets

- Fully-padded Exterior Suppressor Pocket with HD Buckle Closure

- Fully-padded Stow-Away Shooting Mat stores in Hide-Away Pocket on Rear of Drag Bag

- Fully-padded Stow-Away Backpack Straps store in Hide-Away Pockets on Rear of Drag Bag

- Fully-padded Rifle Compartment with Dual Rifle Hold-Downs

- Zippered Accessory in Rifle Compartment for additional storage

- Full Length Cleaning Rod Pocket along Spine inside Rifle Compartment with Snap Closure

- Routing holes and/or slits for Hydration Bladder tube (Hydration Bladder not included)

- Tac Ops Lifetime Warranty</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-size: 14pt">**BELOW ARE SOME PHOTOS OF MY PERSONAL TAC OPS X-RAY 51 IN A TAC OPS GEN 5 PLUS SHORT MULTICAM DRAG BAG. <span style="color: #FF0000">**ALL CURRENT (GEN 5 PLUS) TAC OPS DRAG BAGS HAVE THE SAME EXACT FEATURES**</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">The OAL of my Tac Ops X-Ray is 42.5", and it fits perfectly in a SHORT Tac Ops DB. Below is my X-Ray 51 in a SHORT Multicam Tac Ops Drag Bag.</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">21.5" barrel (42.5" OAL) Tac Ops X-Ray 51 in SHORT Multicam Drag Bag. (LONG Bags accomodate OALs' of 50-51")</span></span>
X-Ray51inSHORTMultiCamGen5Plus28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Front of Tac Ops Multicam Drag Bag:</span></span>
TOGen5PlusSHORTMultiCamFRONT8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Rear of Tac Ops Multicam Drag Bag:</span></span>
TOGen5PlusSHORTMultiCamREAR8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Detachable Nose of Tac Ops Multicam Drag Bag:</span></span>
TOGen5MuzzleCoverBuckleCUMultiCam8x6.jpg

TOGen5DBCoverRemovedMultiCam8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Butt-end Outer Zip Pockets and Closed-Cell Foam Padded Suppressor Pocket w/Heavy-Duty Buckle:</span></span>
TODBExteriorREARPocketSuppressorPocketMultiCam8x6.jpg

TODBOPENExteriorREARPocketSuppressorPocketMultiCam8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Included Closed Cell Foam-padded Hide-Away Shooting Mat measures approximately 48.5" LONG x 25.25" WIDE:</span></span>
TacOpsShootingMatMultiCam8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The Shooting Mat stores in a Hide-Away Pocket on the rear of the Tac Ops Drag Bag. Now you see it:</span></span>
Hide-AwayShootingMatMultiCam8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">...and now you dont:</span></span>
Hide-AwayShoulderStrapShootingMatPockets8x6.jpg

Keith </div></div>
That was a great post ! i learned alot. thank you.

Another good question to ask yourself is if you are actually going to be dragging it behind you for stalking. I've found some of the lower profile drag bags work best for dragging over terrain but of course you wouldnt be able to carry as much gear. Eagle Industries also has some good options.

Reason #?: Tac-Ops is headquartered in Beverly Hills, California 90210.

I have 3 tac ops drag bags.... They are Awesome... They are big though and hold a ton of gear so it's easy to over load.... I also bought a couple slimmer more basic bags for times when I don't need as much gear....

If you cant, or dont want to justify the cost of the TO bag, take a look at the Triad Precision Rifle Carry Case:
Here is the information as it appears on the Triad site:
Triad Precision Rifle Carry Case The Triad Precision Rifle Carry Case (PRCC) reaches a happy place in the search for a padded soft case for precision/scoped rifles. Most "military style" drag bags, or products being sold as such, have features that are not needed by the vast majority of users, even those in military or law enforcement rolls. The PRCC has done away with some of those over the top features that are not needed and only add weight and cost.

Dimension information:
Rifles 42" oal and 11" tall or 52" oal and 11" tall.
Main body section in 2 1/2" thick.
Small outer pocket is 10x10x2.5"
Large outer pocket is 27x10x2.5"(tapers to about 3" at nose).

Weight:
42" = 3.00 pounds
52" = 3.25 pounds

Construction/features:
500D Cordura Material used in construction.
Padded Heavy duty #10 YKK zipper, which allows case to open flat for a shooting mat option.
Crown pocket to reduce rifle movement in case.
Drag/Carry straps at nose.
Numerous interior tie-down/attachment points in main section and both pockets.
Securely hold up to 38"or 48" cleaning rod.
BALANCED, briefcase style carry handles.
Removable padded backpack straps (optional) http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-B...er-Straps.html

The Triad Precision Rifle Carry Case is a proprietary product of Triad Tactical, manufactured in the USA.

Here is a link the the SH thread about them:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...d-precision-rifle-carry-case-new-product.html

Direct link to product page:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...d-precision-rifle-carry-case-new-product.html

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/067jJBpTiuY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Last edited:
Chris,

I have a TO and I have a Triad bag. To get the same features in totality - you'll spend the same amount . . . give or take.

TacOps - $325-ish, comes with backpack straps, shooting mat, lots of pockets, will last you through two Zombie apocolypse battles. I treated my first custom rifle to a TacOps bag and don't have regrets. For my current use: to - from range, to-from rifle schools, it's likely overkill I won't lie. But . . . I carry everything I need to shoot that rifle, in that bag. I don't carry my spotting scope in there, but I have my shooting backpack to carry miscellaneous stuff. Made in USA.

TRIAD - $200-ish, back pack straps another $35, shooting mat from maker of your choice $40-$150. Buying a separate shooting mat would very likely be much nicer than the one from Tac Ops, but you also have to find a place to pack it(depends if padded, how big, etc.) I think Triad took the practical, everyday user features of TacOps and put together a bag for the 90% users out there. I just ran my GAP10 in the Triad bag for a 3-day rifle course, worked great, nary a hiccup from the case(or the rifle either! ;) ) Sure, the backpack straps don't tuck away like the Tac Ops bag, but I'm not using this bag for stalks and such anyway. . . . yet! Truth be told, I likely never will. I'm LE, not military. Bag is also made in USA.

I know there are other bags out there, I just personally haven't tried them, so I'll reserve comment.

The Triad bag meets the needs of most shooters. Tac Ops is a bit sturdier build, perhaps one might say a bit more refined. I know both companies are well respected in the S-H community and by shooters outside of here. Either choice is a winner. I hope that helps . . . even a bit.

-G45

I have both the TacOps and the older Voodoo Tactical drag bags. Both are very well made, with the TacOps being the better of the two. I also have a basic Black Hawk drag bag, and for a basic bag, it's not bad except it doesn't allow much room for tall and/or large scopes, and is only large enough to accommodate my SPR configured AR with S&B 4-16 x 42.

My only complaints with the TacOps (Long Regular) is I wish it was another inch or two longer to accommodate rifles with 26" barrels and extended muzzle brakes, as it is my 300WM rifles barely fit. Also, as with every other drag bag I have, or have looked at, the straps that hold the rifle in-place inside the bag cannot be repositioned forward or aft. Example of problem - the forward strap I have to weave between the barrel and the scope bell, and when removing the rifle in a hurry, the buckle is getting caught in the narrow gap between the barrel and scope. It would be nice if the strap was about four inches farther forward.

TacOps, Triad, et al. Please take note and seriously consider this suggestion; instead of having the straps sewn in permanently, add four or five slots spanning about six inches both forward and aft so we can position the straps where we need them. The slots would be two eyelet slots that are cut into the base material, that allow the strap to run into, under, and then back out, much like PALS webbing, but you wouldn't want to use PALS webbing as it would rub on the rifle, unless you used some ultra soft and strong nylon webbing that wouldn't be abrasive, and ensure the ends weren't melted causing a sharp edge, and the tack sewn area was sewn so it wouldn't be abrasive either.

Easy enough, we already do that..... But we dont cut into the base material, we use flat webbing.

AW%20in%20long%20bag.jpg

Thats a 50" OAL. Hard to see the double row of loops, but the go out to the tip of the forend on the bottom row, and to the bell on the top.

TriadDragBag_20130421_60D_45.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Steve, I guess I didn't look close enough at the Triad Drag bags. Based on my positive experiences with Triad products, my next Drag Bag purchase will be with Triad.

I bought a Tac Ops drag bag and it seems very well built and quite a sturdy bag. I wish they would have used tan or brown zippers, pulls and buckles and I hate that the Tac-Ops or Euro Optic name is embroidered on the bag. I'm going to get some velcro and cover the logo but that is just one added pain. I like the padded pocket for the suppressor but wish one of the other pockets were padded as well misc stuff. I'm going to cut out a piece of neoprene and put it in the interior portion of the large pocket to give a little padding to stuff that goes in there. All in all a great bag though.