• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tac Sol vs. Green Mountain Barrel for 10/22 build

Mkcoastie1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
OK guys Ive read a little bit on different threads about both barrels but would like to here what people who have both barrels have to say about pros/cons of each... Ive more or less decided to go with either the 20" Green mountain fluted or the Tac Sol threaded barrels for my build. Heres my list of concerns.
1. Accuracy for both... Ive heard that the Tac Sol barrels have cheap liners and can be hit or miss on accuracy. Is the green mountain any more or less accurate?
2. I would assume that the "barrel droop" I here about with 10/22 would be less with the Tac Sol as it has less weight. Is this something I should worry about?

If there is anything Im missing or any other advice please feel free to add.. I look forward to the discussion and Im sure once I see some reply's I'll have more questions... Thank you all for your advice.

Re: Tac Sol vs. Green Mountain Barrel for 10/22 build

While I cannot speak to the Tacsol, I can say both my Green Mountain barrels are tack drivers. I have a GM heavy taper in 17.5" on a DSP, 2lb trigger. My "Ultimate" is a GM 16 SS Fluted on a Bell&Carlson Anschutz with custom trigger and bolt work done. My wife was just shooting it today for the first time and did bughole groups at 25yds with CCI SV ammo.

Thanks spraks, I actually just bought a Bell&Carlson Target/Varmit in green w/ black web for this build.

I love my TacSol barrel, I have the threaded with the comp, it is a beauty, easy to put on, and accurate. Bout it a few years ago on sale.

Mkcoastie,
The Green Mountain barrels are good. I have a 16" fluted on mine shoots well. If your thinking light weight barrel might wanna look at Whistle Pig. For TONS of info try rimfirecentral.com

SOTA

Thank you all for the input.
Sharpline- I love the look of the Tac Sol with the Comp but was curious about the accuracy with the comp compared to the green mountain... I actually really like the look of the tac sol and comp and think if I end up going with the Green Mountain I'll have to paint the barrel to a matte black instead of the blued barrel it is.
SOTA- I actually prefer a heavier barrel but I am concerned about this "Barrel Droop" that I have been reading about with 10/22's. If I went with a heavier barrel will this be a problem or something that is insignificant as long as I can adjust for it with a scope?

The Green Mountain barrels are more accurate and most feel they hold better due to added weight. Tac Sol quality can be hit or miss at times. They use a steel liner glued into an aluminum blank for light weight and cheaper to manufacture. Kidd barrels are more accurate IMHO but cost more.

If you are worried about barrel droop,get a Gunsmither block to hold the barrel in place.They are amazing on how well they work.About $12.99 at Midway USA.Or have the barrel threaded into the receiver,around $45.00,but takes away the simplicity of barrel changes.

Id like to try a Tac Sol barrel myself . I have a Green Mountain on mine and it does great . I'd buy another one .

Mark- Thank you very much for the info. Can you give me a little info on what and how a gunsmither block works. I just checked midway and found this v-block that preloads the barrel (Product #: 389660) Do you think this will work as I saw the gunsmither block requires minor fitting. I will do a little more backround on the kidd barrels as well, but if Im not mistaken they dont come in blue fluted or black.

Re: Tac Sol vs. Green Mountain Barrel for 10/22 bu

I've had one green mt and it was phenomenal. My Tac sol upper seems prettty good. I will admit I'm running an aimpoint and use it for multi gun practice.

Criver- I bet thats a nice setup having a bull-barrel look with the light weight alum so you can do the multi-gun stuff. My 10/22 has a Tapco tacticool stock on it now with the standard barrel. Its alot of fun but Im starting to get more into the precision shooting and so starts my 10/22 build.

I've got a tac sol.

As far as ammo a lot of what I tried patterned instead of grouped. However, I got good accuracy from Ely Tenex, and not much worse from Wolf and CCI Blazer. I'm a Blazer buyin fool now
smile.gif

As for the weight, it is *very* light. Good for me, since I build this 10/22 up for the kids to shoot and I wanted that. However, at 5lbs loaded my build was too light to shoot off hand so I added a bipod and super heavy nylon sling bringing it up to 6lbs. Kids can still shoot it with the bipod, I can shoot it now too, and it is what it is.

Thank you again for the info. I look forward to hearing word back on the gunsmither block and v-block to help with the barrel-droop issue.
I dont think I'll have this build done for about a month (funding for the scope and bipod) but when I have it complete rest assured I'll post pictures.
Any other info in regards to best practices and helps in building a great shooting 10/22 would be appreciated... Thank you all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mkcoastie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you again for the info. I look forward to hearing word back on the gunsmither block and v-block to help with the barrel-droop issue.
I dont think I'll have this build done for about a month (funding for the scope and bipod) but when I have it complete rest assured I'll post pictures.
Any other info in regards to best practices and helps in building a great shooting 10/22 would be appreciated... Thank you all. </div></div>

I have a Skeeter/Rimfiretechnologies.com bbl and adj v-block on mine. The block raises the bbl a bit to float it above the bbl channel, and the chambering also lets me run cheap Fed bulk when just knocking balls downrange or teaching kids. Best of all, it rivals my 452 and MKII in accuracy when fed decent Fed 714 or Aguilla SV (mid 90s scores are as good as I hold anything). I had a GM bbl that was fussy, sold it, and am mighty happy with my RFT bbl.

RS39- Thank you for the info and for letting me know about that website. I checked it out and will be purchasing alot of parts from them. I like the Mag release, charging handle, trigger, scope base, and adjustable v-block (the wifes not going to be happy about the price, guess I'll have to save).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mkcoastie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy for both... Ive heard that the Tac Sol barrels have cheap liners and can be hit or miss on accuracy. Is the green mountain any more or less accurate?
</div></div>

Have never had a GM barrel, but I would definitely say my Tac Sol is a miss on accuracy. The face of it has also gotten pretty chewed up from the bolt slamming the occasional stovepipe against it

That sucks about the threading problem... I bet it was a nice looking rifle with the can on it though.
Im trying to stay away from a smith having to do any work and so I think Im going to go with the Tac Sol v-block or the adjustable block from the website listed in my previous post. I like the heavier wieght myslef so the green mountain sounds like the way to go... Of course my wife wants me to build her one now with the purple barrel from Tac Sol...

Having had both and shot both a lot I would say for a target gun, get the Green Mountain, for a fun/fast gun get the Tac Sol. They two are really different animals and its kinda like comparing apples to oranges. If you want a light and accurate barrel look at the Magnum Research, Volquartsen CF, and Whistle Pig barrels. I really like my Whistle Pig. Holds under MOA most all the time.

Well, I do believe Im sold and I will be getting the Green Mountain 20" fluted. Thank you everyone for your help and your advice. If anyone has any thing of interest to add that will help me in my build I would appreciate it.

I don't know if you have been to Rimfirecentral.com. I joined and got alot of information from there to research my build. They have alot of sponsors/vendors that can hook you up with components if you like.
My "Ultimate " build had work done by some guys there, (trigger and bolt) the work was really professional and done quickly. Good guys to work with.
Here's mine...
GM 16"SS Fluted barrel
B&C Anschutz stock
R/T Tactical bolt handle(Spiral) This I REALLY like
Trigger by Swampfox Weight 2.5lbs RT trigger shoe
Bolt by Que...Jewelled and radiused, firing pin pinned
Mueller 4x14 30mm Tactical scope
Leupold rings
Added the sling swivels myself to use in Appleseed shoots
url]
[/img]

BTW...If you decide to sell off some parts from your current rifle the guys at RFC will pick them up from the classifieds. If your stock barrel doesn't sell, try Appleseed.org. The people over there are building .22's for shoots and they want iron sights mainly. I sold 1 barrel to a guy, and a barrel and one stock to a gal. Didn't try to overprice and they were gone immediately.

Sparks- Thanks for the great info.. I do plan on selling my old parts as I wont have a need for them... My rifle has evolved alot. It started as a plain carbine with wood stock. I put a tapco (tacticool) stock on it and then some see through rings with a tasco scope. Its fun, but I would like a precision shooter. So this is the plan for my build this far.
GM 20" blued fluted barrel
B&C target / varmit stock Green w black web (arrives tomorrow)
R/T tactical bolt handle (straight fluted) I like it as well.
Tactical solutions 15 MOA base / or some other base with at least 15 moa
Bushnell 3200 elite 10 X 40 mildot ( I plan on putting this on all my rifles)
Harris Bipod
I saw on rimfiretechnologies.com the mag release, trigger, bolt release that I really like as well as the adjustable v-block.
I really think your build looks great. I like the Anschutz stock but opted for the target / varmit b/c I didnt want to have to mess with drilling and tapping the lugs for the bipod/sling

Did you have to do any work to your B & C stock? Do you have any problems with it? Any info on the stock itself would be great.
Thanks all this is good conversation..

I have a tacsol threaded, I like it. I cant think of a better barrel for hunting. It is lighter than my MKIII Hunter. My barrel is good accuracy wise. It is far better than my factory barrel. I use it for hunting not bench shooting so weight was my main concern.

Nothing done to the B&C stock. Well a little...had to trim minute amounts from the mag well to get magazines to drop free. Fit around receiver was terrific. I just used a small file to take material out around the mags. There is now about a business cards gap between the mag and the stock. Stock fits tightly around receiver with no gap at all.
I have some tension on the front of the barrel. There is a ridge there that supports the barrel. I did not take it out as I wanted to shoot it first and see groups. If I had not gotten good groups I would have eliminated that ridge. BUT...I am very pleased with its shooting and will not change it. Other than that slight tension the barrel is free of the stock to about 1/2" from the receiver. I would suggest you put yours together and shoot it before modifying the stock. If you have to then go to RFC and get advise from the guys there. I, by no means, am an expert. I only used the valuable info from RFC to put this together. By the way..I was torn between your stock and the one I got. Finally had to just go with mine, I would have been happy with either.
Luck to you.
Ron
PS... My wifes best group @25yds was .355" minus the bullet diameter of .201" gives a group of .154". It's a shooter!!!

I just got the B & C Target / Varmit stock in today.... Olive with Black web... Looks great.. Im stoked, now to talk the wife into letting me buy the scope, base, rings, and barrel..

Been there. She said what are you going to sell to offset the expenditure? Well...I sold a 1950's Lauson outboard motor that had been in the garage for 30 years. I also sold a 1970's Johnson 1 1/2hp canoe motor. There I said, it's all paid for.(Thinking what a smart fella I am!) She then says.......are you ready?....What are you going to buy ME? Told her I'll buy her a brick of .22 ammo to shoot in MY new rifle.
Still waiting for the house to heat up...got kinda chilly in here.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously tho, she was real good about it. I am now in the process of selling a Honda ATV ( not used in 3 yrs) to fund a long range custom bench rifle.
Good luck.
Ron

I wasn't aware of the block being sold to prevent barrel droop until reading this thread. I too have a GM barrel and it is very accurate. If you're not into buying the block, you can always follow advice I believe I got from Rimfire Central. Bed the barrel and float the action. I had actually already bedded both the action and about 3" of the barrel forward of the action. This was several years ago and I've never had any problems due to the weight. I simply used the Deluxe stock that came with the rifle and opened the barrel channel.

I've never even messed with the factory trigger, mine isn't that bad. A friend's was so bad I couldn't tell if I was squeezing the thing with the safety on or what. I get groups between !/4 - 1/2" at 50 yd. with that GM barrel and a Redfield 4 x 16 scope. It likes CCI subsonic HP's and one flavor of Eley the best.

A lot of people like the Mueller APV scopes for 10/22s.

fngmike- I would like to bed and float the barrel/action however I dont think Im up to trying that myself (never done that before) and I dont have a smith in my area that I know... Maybe this summer when Im back home on leave I'll have a couple gunsmiths I know take care of that for me. My factory trigger is OK... Not bad / not good, as far as my groups go I currently have my rifle standard barrel in a Tapco tacticool stock with a cheap tasco scope and I shot a incredible group at 50 yds with FIOCHI standard velocity ammo... I actually am impressed with the accuracy of my rifle as is, but would like to make it more of a trainer for my Rem 700... I sure hope changing everything doesnt bite me and I lose accuracy...

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP IN THIS THREAD.... I LOOK FORWARD TO POSTING PICTURES IN THE COMING MONTHS (HOPEFULLY WEEKS).

So the stock I got is awesome and today I just ordered the Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 10 X 40 scope... $180.00 from Amazon. Cant wait for that to get here... Next paycheck will be the barrel and the following paycheck will be the bolt handle, mag release/bolt catch, and the scope base... Then it will be assembled and pictures will follow...

Thank you for the little trick on getting more elevation out of the scope... As far as parallax goes I generally am going to shoot 50yds or greater... Mostly 100yds... I do really like the turrets on the bushnells.. I'll buy the barrel next week...

Shhh.... Don't tell my wife, but I just bought an adjustable v-block, fluted bolt handle, new hardward for the v-block and stock, and last but not least a 20" fluted Green Mountain barrel. Now I just need to wait untill everything comes in, recover from the beatings my wife is going to give me and then put it all together... Pictures will be posted shortly... So, excited...

The bruises WILL heal,the pain WILL go away, and then you'll have a great build.
cool.gif
Let her shoot it and you'll be building another.
BTW...where did you get the GM barrel? I have found that they don't stay in stock very long, so order when you can.

Sparks- I know exactly what you mean.. The reason I bought the barrel yesterday was because I finally found one in stock so I bought one as soon as I seen it.. The 20" GM fluted are hard to come by.. I paid 127.00 for mine from www.gunkings.com It was also free shipping. I did find another website ( cant remember which ) but it sold a GM 20" fluted in various painted colors and the matte black was 170.00 Im not a fan of the blued barrel as my reciever is black so I think on this build Im going to take the reciever down to metal and then paint the recievered barrel matte black. I think it will look alot better that way.

As promised, pictures will be posted as soon as this thing is together...

Crap--- The wife found out about my purchases... Im in trouble now... Actually she took it well. I think its because I bought her a new bedset... I had to turn in alot of points to get off clean on this one though... This rifle ended getting really pricey though..

I can hardly wait for the photos of this rifle. Been following it and want to see it and then target pics of how it shoots.

I almost went with Gunkings, but they sold out of my barrel B4 I could order. Shooters Discount matched GK's price with an instock barrel. Pardon me...they matched free shipping, or at least the price was the same all said and done.

SPARKS- What barrel did you end up going with? Im thinking almost all of my stuff should be in by Friday and I should get some range time in this weekend coming up and I will post pictures by Sunday night pending I get everything in... My problem now is the barrel color.. The 20" gm is blued and the reciever is flat black. I would like it all to match nicely so Im thinking about prepping the reciever in anticipation of painting both the reciever / barrel together when it get here. I just cringe at using krylon on a brand new barrel, but I guess if the guys here on the hide can paint a 2000.00 rifle and 2000.00 scope I can muster up the courage to paint a 127.00 barrel.
Im thinking that I will practice on the old stock barrel so I can get a feel for how it will apply and look all said and done.

Just got done taking photos of the 10/22 in its orignal and tacticool conditions in preperation for its evolution into a $800.00 rifle... It hurts to say that, an 800.00 10/22.. Wow, I must be crazy... This thing had better shoot straight.. Historical pictures will be included with the new picts when I get it all together....

one issue I had with a GM barrel, the chamber was so tight no ammo would reliably function I opened it up slightly with a reamer and get good function with wolf ME and great accuracy- Kidd custom runs any ammo I tried and great accuracy so the price of the gun is definitely offset by ammo savings

Just my 2cents i have used three TAC SOL barrels on three builds for friends and i personaly have a GM barrel on mine. Thats just because i had not herd of TAC SOL when i built mine..
I would go with TAC SOL myself when i build another one for myself...

I recieved my lazer bore sighter in today.. Tomorrow will be my Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40 scope. This evening I took the 10/22 apart. Removed the barrel, bolt, and trigger unit. Started cleaning everything up and prepping it for its new hardware, barrel, and furniture. Still debating if I want to paint the GM barrel when it comes in.. The reciever has a few chips in the stock paint around the ejection port I'd like to clean up, but I just dont know if I want to do a full paint job... Hopefully by Friday the rifle will be together and by Sunday we should have some pictures to go with my random updates.

Just recieved the scope... Bushnell 3200 elite 10x40.... Im liking it. Cant wait to have the barrel and parts to mount it...

I got the scope and the boresighter together on amazon... 206.00 for both so I decided to get it.... I thought it would be of assistance for mounting the scope as the last scope I adjusted was like 6 ft off when I mounted it and I almost ran out of adjustment getting it on paper... found out it was the ring alignment and the help of a bore sighter would have saved alot of ammo and frustration.....

UPDATE: the old barrel is painted and turned out well (I wanted to practice before painting the GM). I get the GM barrel tomorrow, and hopefully parts on Friday... With some luck I'll have it done by Sat and shooting Sunday....

OK everyone.... The day has come and I have recieved all parts with the exception of my scope base and rings. Everything fit together nicely and the only hang up I had was with the extended magazine release. I got the pull style release from rimfire technologies and I didnt know that it reguired drilling and tapping one of the trigger group pin holes. So I opted to save that job for a rainy day. However I was able to install the automatic bolt release that came with the mag release and it works great. So my stock reciever is matched with a B&C target/varmit stock in green w/black web, it sports a 20" GM fluted barrel, a rimfire technologies v-block and fluted charging handle (every 10/22 should have one of these charging handles it just screams awesomeness). My wonderfull wife is shopping with a friend and she is going to stop by and pick up my bipod on the way home (shes the best). I tell you guys what, even if this thing doesnt shoot worth a crap it sure is nice to look at... Once I recieve the base and rings I will post pictures as well as range results...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mkcoastie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK everyone.... The day has come and I have recieved all parts with the exception of my scope base and rings. Everything fit together nicely and the only hang up I had was with the extended magazine release. I got the pull style release from rimfire technologies and I didnt know that it reguired drilling and tapping one of the trigger group pin holes. So I opted to save that job for a rainy day. However I was able to install the automatic bolt release that came with the mag release and it works great. So my stock reciever is matched with a B&C target/varmit stock in green w/black web, it sports a 20" GM fluted barrel, a rimfire technologies v-block and fluted charging handle (every 10/22 should have one of these charging handles it just screams awesomeness). My wonderfull wife is shopping with a friend and she is going to stop by and pick up my bipod on the way home (shes the best). I tell you guys what, even if this thing doesnt shoot worth a crap it sure is nice to look at... Once I recieve the base and rings I will post pictures as well as range results... </div></div>

You have pretty much the same set up i do exept my barrel is not fluted and my stock is black with grey web. By far my favorite stock for a 10/22.

I think the stock looks great.. Im really excited about it... I think I may install the mag release soon.. I have to check at work and see if I have the tap for it. I sure hope this is a good shooting stick.... Tomorrow I'll take it to the range and test out the funtioning of the action with ammo... I want to see if this thing will cycle really well. I'll run a few different flavors of ammo through it and hopefully if I get my rings and base in i can start the sight in process... I used to be one of those guys that believed if a little oil on the gun was good than alot would be really good and of course I found out otherwise as my trigger group and bolt and reciever where just caked in sandy nasty oily crap.... So I completely took every spring, spacer, etc... out and cleaned it all up.... This thing should work like a champ..... Pictures will be up tomorrow...

OK everyone.... The scope base and rings came in today... As promised, pictures will be posted within a few hours and I will then post range pictures hopefully by sunday afternoon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mkcoastie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the stock looks great.. Im really excited about it... I think I may install the mag release soon.. I have to check at work and see if I have the tap for it. I sure hope this is a good shooting stick.... Tomorrow I'll take it to the range and test out the funtioning of the action with ammo... I want to see if this thing will cycle really well. I'll run a few different flavors of ammo through it and hopefully if I get my rings and base in i can start the sight in process... I used to be one of those guys that believed if a little oil on the gun was good than alot would be really good and of course I found out otherwise as my trigger group and bolt and reciever where just caked in sandy nasty oily crap.... So I completely took every spring, spacer, etc... out and cleaned it all up.... This thing should work like a champ..... Pictures will be up tomorrow... </div></div>

If it doesnt cycle well put a bigger radius on the rear of the bolt where the hammer makes contact and polish it. You can also mess around with different spring tensions on the guide rod.

Ed- thanks for the tech tips... My new charging handle came with instructions to modify the spring if needed as well as a spare.

As promised, here are the photos....

24554_1247531154584_1418598879_30553397_2410062_n.jpg

24554_1247531114583_1418598879_30553396_2780318_n.jpg

24554_1247530994580_1418598879_30553394_7832483_n.jpg

24554_1247530954579_1418598879_30553393_6842560_n.jpg

24554_1247531194585_1418598879_30553398_4108372_n.jpg

So the pictures of it with the Tapco stock and cheap scope are what it looked like before the rifles transformation...

If you'd like i can send you info for a guy on rimfire central who does bolt work. For 40 bucks, he will put the radius on the back of the bolt, headspace it, and drill a hole over the firing pin and press in a roll pin to hold the firing pin down so it hits the rim of the case in the same spot, every time, which helps eliminate "flyers". He also polishes and jewels the bolt. If you dont want the jeweling its 30 bucks instead of 40. He just did mine for me.