• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TAC21 Gen 2 Chassis

slowworm

Low speed, High Drag
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2004
New Hampshire
So I've been looking at chassis to upgrade the factory original HS Precision stocks on my 700's, and I came across the TAC21, amongst many others.

At first glance I kinda liked it, I liked the idea of the AR-10 type recoil path and the like. Then I started thinking about the totally enclosed chassis, and the fact that it is sort of a permanent install. You have to remove the trigger mechanism to install it, which is not your everyday type of maintenance operation.

That got me thinking about using it in field conditions, like walking through brush in the rain and maybe getting a bit on mud on it. Rain has never stopped me going out in the past. So how on earth do you clean and dry a rifle in a totally encased chassis like that? A normal stock or chassis, I drop 2 bolts and can clean and dry everywhere I need to, and easily. It seems you just can't easily do that with a TAC21, or any similarly totally enclosed chassis. If I splash a bit of mud into the trigger housing area how do I clean in there?

And even if you did remove the receiver from the chassis, the optic is attached to the chassis, not the receiver, so you would likely lose zero.

There just seems to be loads of downsides to this approach with almost no upside. Am I overthinking this?