• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tactical games typical stage round count.

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
I just learned about the tactical games series and I would like to go either at the end of this year or next year.

The rules are pretty vague about round count, only stating that 5 mags per gun are required. Are mags loaded to maximum capacity or are there typical stage round limits like IDPA (i.e. 10 rnd max).

And what are the typical carbine stage ranges?

Last edited:
I just learned about the tactical games series and I would like to go either at the end of this year or next year.

The rules are pretty vague about round count, only stating that 5 mags per gun are required. Are mags loaded to maximum capacity or are there typical stage round limits like IDPA (i.e. 10 rnd max).

And what are the typical carbine stage ranges?

Each stage will have a specified load out. Ie 4x pistol mags of 8rds and 3x rifle mags of 12x. You need to be able to carry up to 5 mags of each, but you wont always be required to use all five. I dont recall an instance where i ever had to load more then 12rds in a mag.

Carbine distances are venue dependent. Id be prepared to shoot out to 400 or so.

2021 had a very predictable format, 2022, they started putting in a few curve balls. For 2023, id be mentally prepared to adapt on the fly, theyve added a ton new implements and challenges.

I'm planning for 2024, though I might hit a training camp for fun. My wife actually found it and wanted to try it out.

I did a couple of events (GTI/TRC) with the original regime, some SF group guys that started the format. We ran "hot" fast and very tactical type stages. The stages evolved and modified over time, obstacle's got tougher and weights got heavier and with that the premises of running or significant movement with a cold weapon came to be the standard. typical loadout for a "battle" will be 3-5 pistol 5-15 rnds and 3-5 rifle 5-20 rnds. you will go hot at a designated local on the course and clear before your next movement, rinse -repeat 3-5 times. I am self adimit. Old and Slow but i don't loose a stage from the weights or the obstacles, i loose on the weapon manipulation. Practice a lot of rifle to pistol transition and stowing of empty mags. two to three seconds of lost time per 3-5 times equals that same as a fifty yard run.

We are out of shape after having our daughter, at this point in time we are happy competing for last place just as long as we finish. =)

Thank you for the replies for the round count. I live in a ban state so I carry a 6rd subcompact (glock 39), I use it in all pistol classes I attend and compete in IDPA with it. Given the TTG rules state the 140mm mag length, I was curious if they were high round count pistol stages or if I could find a way to run my plain ol glock. I guess I have time to figure it out.

I'm not sure if it will be the same as TTG SC but The Proving Grounds has a couple sniper challenge events on the roster this year.
I just signed up for the Proving Grounds sniper match in august. Gas gun/Tactical division. I plan on getting my ass kicked.

Bumping this thread as I recently started thinking that this looks fun and gives me a reason to get my ass back in good shape. Any advice to get started?

Stages have specified load outs, and the majority of time you have limited engagement on each target. Tactical games is very accuracy oriented, there aren't many hose it down stages and most of the time the distances are limited but smaller than usual targets are used. You need to know your holdovers and height over bore but won't necessarily need DOPE at extended ranges.

Dont expect to be changing mags much in the middle of a stage either, they really limit mag changes and hot holstering, likely due to the fact that people are smoked from the fitness while shooting so they are understandably reducing their liability. But every now and then they will get outside the norm on a stage.

The fitness part is tough, I would say especially for smaller guys like myself where the weight can become a problem, but there are some smaller/guys and gals that crush it, blowing that argument out of the water. With that being said I was able to, surprisingly, complete all the fitness stages, though some of them just barely inside the par time. FWIW I have more of a skinny runner/surfer frame than a CrossFit frame. Most who do very well in the fitness, uh... don't look like me.

The shooting is "easier" than other shooting sports IMO, so if you compete in other shooting disciplines regularly, you will shoot toward the top of the field fairly easily. The hard part is "easy" shooting becomes difficult shooting when you are gasping for air and trying to maintain an unsupported sight picture.

I would work on strength, endurance and V02 max. You can compete pretty well as a good shooter and any one of those 3, but if you are trying to win, you will need them all.

Reactions: atomic41
Stages have specified load outs, and the majority of time you have limited engagement on each target. Tactical games is very accuracy oriented, there aren't many hose it down stages and most of the time the distances are limited but smaller than usual targets are used. You need to know your holdovers and height over bore but won't necessarily need DOPE at extended ranges.

Dont expect to be changing mags much in the middle of a stage either, they really limit mag changes and hot holstering, likely due to the fact that people are smoked from the fitness while shooting so they are understandably reducing their liability. But every now and then they will get outside the norm on a stage.

The fitness part is tough, I would say especially for smaller guys like myself where the weight can become a problem, but there are some smaller/guys and gals that crush it, blowing that argument out of the water. With that being said I was able to, surprisingly, complete all the fitness stages, though some of them just barely inside the par time. FWIW I have more of a skinny runner/surfer frame than a CrossFit frame. Most who do very well in the fitness, uh... don't look like me.

The shooting is "easier" than other shooting sports IMO, so if you compete in other shooting disciplines regularly, you will shoot toward the top of the field fairly easily. The hard part is "easy" shooting becomes difficult shooting when you are gasping for air and trying to maintain an unsupported sight picture.

I would work on strength, endurance and V02 max. You can compete pretty well as a good shooter and any one of those 3, but if you are trying to win, you will need them all.

Awesome info and exactly what I was looking for. You answered a lot of my questions, thank you.

Reactions: Burdy
Awesome info and exactly what I was looking for. You answered a lot of my questions, thank you.
Your welcome. If you have interest in further reading on the topic I wrote an article about my Tac Games experience here that's a bit more in depth:

Sweet! I'll check it out. Thanks again.

I have not shot any comps for a while and have started going soft on my fitness. (used to be a fitness junkie) So when I saw this new game (new to me), I thought dang that's cool I could combine two things I like and get motivated to stop the muffin top LOL.

Your welcome. If you have interest in further reading on the topic I wrote an article about my Tac Games experience here that's a bit more in depth:

Nice review! That does help. The SBR was an interesting choice, sounds like it worked well.