• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Games

MosesTheTank

Minuteman
Jan 28, 2011
SC
Anyone familiar with this? A friend sent it to me today and we both just signed up. Looks like a lot of fun.

To prep I'll be doing a little more 2G and added a tough and a heavy GoRuck to the calendar.

Never heard of it but it looks like a blast. Wish it was a little closer to me. I read that they are wanting to do regional events in the future.

I did not see what the qualifications were in the FAQ's. . Is this open to civilians ?

I did not see what the qualifications were in the FAQ's. . Is this open to civilians ?
Yes, open to civilians, but I think the mix of participants will be heavy LEO swat types and vets in good shape.
I’ve signed up for both SC and NC, so a lot of trading this year with a chest rig and some ropes

You are tactically mistaken. I have no fear of anything "tactical". I'm am however a tactithrope. I hate the labeling of all things tactical, and refuse to participate in anything thus labeled.

Hi,

So you are a tactical label hater......TacOut.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: acudaowner
tactical bar hopping ? tactical wings with or with out blue cheese ? or the tactical vegas trip 07 to those that get to make that pilgrimage to mecca .

Sound like PRS in 5 years, with all the weird stuff they keep implementing. Lol

All joking aside it sounds like fun. Spartan run with weapons.

Being a “east coaster” you cant find somewhere to drop you rifle and run your pistol, unless you want to be arrested.

I don't have time for a full write up right now but wanted to post this now as the next event is selling out fast and this is something you don't want to miss.

It was a blast and I'm signed up for the SC event at GTI.

This event was run like a fine Swiss watch. The battle bosses were largely 7th SF, which is where the events founder spent his career, and a few from the 5th. The ROs were all gun-guys and some I recognized from various competitions. They did a great job of keeping things smooth and safe.

6 events (3 per day), and I met quite few wonderful people.

There's a lot of crossfit type activity: farmers carry, pushing around a weighted wheelbarrow, carrying/dragging/tossing sandbags, sled dragging, rope climbs, running, running with water jugs (the downed pilot rescue simulation), over/under obstacles, scaling a wall, burpees with sandbag power cleans in between... all with your weapons and a plate carrier that weighs at least 15 lbs, and lots of shooting.

Shooting was very straightforward: simple rifle and pistol box drills while on the move, shooting around barricades... distances are pretty short as we were limited to 200 yards. The difficulty comes where you just gassed yourself and now need to see straight and manipulate your trigger. Optics are limited to 1x so basic red dots is was almost everyone had.

Training tips:

1a. Get your hits. You cannot miss fast enough. A miss is a 10 second penalty. Get your hits.
1b. Know your offsets. At some point you will be required to maintain cover while shooting left and right.
1c. Odd positions. Practice with a barricade, and maybe do some sprints or burpees between magazines. This is basic carbine and 3-gun stuff. Get your friggin hits.
2. Cardio. There was a 1.2 mile cross-country run, over hill, over dale, over a wall and some logs, up and down ditches, then 20 rounds each at 200, off-hand, kneeling, sitting, prone. Then some more running. You cannot be heaving each breath and get into a kneeling position with a plate carrier squeezing the life out of you. Cardio helps.
3. Climb a rope and do it fast. The rope climb was 15 or 18 feet. You should be able to do that in 2 pulls with all your gear on and not think about it. The penalty for not climbing the rope is severe - 15 burpees. Only a few people had to do this and I felt bad for them. Just learn to climb properly.
4. Grip strength. Carrying around all this crap will test your forearms, which can wreak havoc with your trigger pull. Practice carrying heavy stuff followed by some trigger pulls. Then do it 10 more times.
5. Endurance. Not the kind that preps you for a 20 mile hump, but the kind that allows you to move weight around really fast for 15 minutes, recover for a little while, and then do it again, and again...

My group (Masters, aka Silverbacks) was divided into 6 groups. My training partner was in a group that was very strong (he won and a guy in his group came in 3rd). My group was not so strong. I had an Indiana State SWAT guy in my group that kept me on my toes as the rest of the group lagged far behind. I smoked him in every event, especially when the objects got heavier, until the final event that began with a 100 yard sprint. He just took off like scalded cat and my feet basically stuck to the ground. I had burned out my legs and he was better prepared. He did his cardio work and I came up short. And he was just a great guy so I was happy to see him pull away from me as his family cheered him on. Train with people who will push you to the breaking point.

In SC there will be a water event, which I am pretty psyched about, and you will need weapon lights to do the CQB stuff inside. The facility is awesome, Government Training Institute.

Most people can complete the competition. To win, or even finish in the top half, will take work.

As someone mentioned, there are gobs of mil door kickers (SF, Rangers, Recon Marines) LEO, SWAT. (the GBI had a 10 person team).. some current, many recent vintage, and some throwbacks to the hair metal era, are all there. There are professional shooters (sponsored 3-gunners and a guy from the HK shooting team). That doesn't necessarily mean they are going to finish with a podium spot. The Elite group was won by a MMA fighter, the masters was won by a (long ago) Naval Surface Warfare officer.

Just friggin train and show up. This is the most fun shooting event I have ever participated in. I can give more specific training tips if anyone wants them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pbgt
Thanks for a great report. I’m signed up for both the Sc and Nc events. My backyard looks like a obstacle course with a rope, sled, jerry cans, and a few objects to go over and under. My understanding from a friend that’s been to GTI is to get the stair master game up to par. I’m absolutely stoked to do these events

GTI is in the books. I got to compete alongside @Ironman675, except I didn't know it was him at the time, and vica versa.

GTI is a massive nuclear waste treatment facility that was completed but never used. I don't know why but I am betting some politicians said "not in my backyard" to a pile of glowing rods being handled in their neighborhood.

The buildings made for some incredible CQB scenarios. The cavernous structures could easily be the setting for the next installment of Alien Meets Predator. For the indoor stuff we used SRTA rounds, which meant switching out your bolt. This caused problems for a few guys who ran heavy buffers. And a few, myself included, had some FTE issues. But I can't blame any of that for sending a round through a hostage.

What really got a few competitors was offset. We are all used to factoring offset while shooting around barricades. In this scenario the targets were often placed on the other side of a railing, ladder, or some kind of wire. This is not where many of us automatically think about offset, and so got bitten with a miss.

The outdoor stuff was the usual mix of running, sandbags, ropes, farmers carry, crawling with sandbags (I just threw it across my back and scrambled like a stuck pig on amphetamines and did just fine), dragging sleds... etc. You know that is going to happen so train for it. If you can do a 5k with all your gear (which includes a 15lb minimum plate carrier) in sub 25 minutes you should in the mix on the run. Be able to climb a rope and scale an 8ft wall after that. Don't be too gassed because you be sending rounds down range next.

Having said all that, I would absolutely not dissuade anyone who can simply finish these 2 days from showing up. If you come in dead last, but at least you finished, you will have had an incredible experience and met some great people.

While all of it was awesome, one of the uber-awesome indoor battles had us gassed before we got to the first shot by running a few hundred yards with a sandbag, scrambling through/up/down some tunnels... and going up a caving ladder. If this was your first time on one of these "ladders" you may have enjoyed some sphincter squeezing moments. Then fast roping into the building, through some dark hallways, fast roping down some pipes, and lost of blasting while encountering ladders, stairwells, and occasionally wondering WTF you were headed. Light required, helmet advised.

One of the best moments of the weekend was watching a Green Beret come flying out of a pipe ahead of most of his squad and when he saw the guy behind him struggle to climb up a pipe he turned around, got on his knees and helped every single person up. This put him in last position. He passed most of them in the next pipe, then repeated his selflessness when they got to the caving ladder buy anchoring it for them. That was just incredible to watch in the middle of a competition.

At the Atlanta event a member of the press asked if this was a team event as so many competitors helped and cheered on everyone else. This speaks to the kind of people who gather for The Tactical Games.

The Masters (aka, Silverbacks) was one by a member of the Tulsa SWAT. He is a fine gentleman and I am honored to have been toe to toe with him for 2 days. Tulsa is defintely in good hands. John Tiegen (Benghazi) won the intermediate. John is another very fine and humble gentleman. American is blessed to have men like him. And MMA Master Anton took the elite division, again.

Meridian is up next for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
GTI is in the books. I got to compete alongside @Ironman675, except I didn't know it was him at the time, and vica versa.

GTI is a massive nuclear waste treatment facility that was completed but never used. I don't know why but I am betting some politicians said "not in my backyard" to a pile of glowing rods being handled in their neighborhood.

The buildings made for some incredible CQB scenarios. The cavernous structures could easily be the setting for the next installment of Alien Meets Predator. For the indoor stuff we used SRTA rounds, which meant switching out your bolt. This caused problems for a few guys who ran heavy buffers. And a few, myself included, had some FTE issues. But I can't blame any of that for sending a round through a hostage.

What really got a few competitors was offset. We are all used to factoring offset while shooting around barricades. In this scenario the targets were often placed on the other side of a railing, ladder, or some kind of wire. This is not where many of us automatically think about offset, and so got bitten with a miss.

The outdoor stuff was the usual mix of running, sandbags, ropes, farmers carry, crawling with sandbags (I just threw it across my back and scrambled like a stuck pig on amphetamines and did just fine), dragging sleds... etc. You know that is going to happen so train for it. If you can do a 5k with all your gear (which includes a 15lb minimum plate carrier) in sub 25 minutes you should in the mix on the run. Be able to climb a rope and scale an 8ft wall after that. Don't be too gassed because you be sending rounds down range next.

Having said all that, I would absolutely not dissuade anyone who can simply finish these 2 days from showing up. If you come in dead last, but at least you finished, you will have had an incredible experience and met some great people.

While all of it was awesome, one of the uber-awesome indoor battles had us gassed before we got to the first shot by running a few hundred yards with a sandbag, scrambling through/up/down some tunnels... and going up a caving ladder. If this was your first time on one of these "ladders" you may have enjoyed some sphincter squeezing moments. Then fast roping into the building, through some dark hallways, fast roping down some pipes, and lost of blasting while encountering ladders, stairwells, and occasionally wondering WTF you were headed. Light required, helmet advised.

One of the best moments of the weekend was watching a Green Beret come flying out of a pipe ahead of most of his squad and when he saw the guy behind him struggle to climb up a pipe he turned around, got on his knees and helped every single person up. This put him in last position. He passed most of them in the next pipe, then repeated his selflessness when they got to the caving ladder buy anchoring it for them. That was just incredible to watch in the middle of a competition.

At the Atlanta event a member of the press asked if this was a team event as so many competitors helped and cheered on everyone else. This speaks to the kind of people who gather for The Tactical Games.

The Masters (aka, Silverbacks) was one by a member of the Tulsa SWAT. He is a fine gentleman and I am honored to have been toe to toe with him for 2 days. Tulsa is defintely in good hands. John Tiegen (Benghazi) won the intermediate. John is another very fine and humble gentleman. American is blessed to have men like him. And MMA Master Anton took the elite division, again.

Meridian is up next for me.
This is great thanks! They have a stop at a new facility opening soon near me on Nov 2nd and 3rd in FL. Going to watch with several folks to see what it's all about, but we are all going nuts to get started. Was a tiny bit bummed I can't run my 7.62x39, but hey I get it there needs to be some level of standardization for a competition. All that means is I get to go 5.56 upper shoppin! Please keep us up to date with any revelations....the exercise aspect of this is what has me hooked then add that into shooting disciplines? Pffft I'm in!

In the interim could I possibly trouble you to please go into detail about what you wore shoe/boot wise? Have some great pants for hot weather here in FL. Maybe a cool max breathable material shirt? Thanks!

Last edited:
This is great thanks! They have a stop at a new facility opening soon near me on Nov 2nd and 3rd in FL. Going to watch with several folks to see what it's all about, but we are all going nuts to get started. Was a tiny bit bummed I can't run my 7.62x39, but hey I get it there needs to be some level of standardization for a competition. All that means is I get to go 5.56 upper shoppin! Please keep us up to date with any revelations....the exercise aspect of this is what has me hooked then add that into shooting disciplines? Pffft I'm in!

In the interim could I possibly trouble you to please go into detail about what you wore shoe/boot wise? Have some great pants for hot weather here in FL. Maybe a cool max breathable material shirt? Thanks!
I did both the GTI and TRC in NC. If you need the ankle support then a boot will be fine, but make sure you test it on a rope. I have both Solomon boots and shoes and the boots sucked at sticking me to a rope. Clothing wise light drifit type of shirts and my fav for pants has been Magellan fishing gear. Water resist, stupid light weight and breathe great.
Oh BTW you can’t miss fast enough. Every miss is 10 seconds, that’s a lot of running. Make your shots count, know you holds in offset positions and practice RUNNING 100 yards in gear while carrying something heavy and then shooting, breathing becomes a factor.

I was pretty interested in this at first, competing with guns is my only hobby and fitness is important to me so I thought this might be a good hybrid. Then I read up and watched some videos and my takeaway was pretty much the creator of the series saying: "I'm a hardcore operator/gym rat and I went to a 3 gun match and got humiliated by fat guys that practice a lot. To make sure I never looked bad again I created a crossfit competition with some shooting to ensure that I will always be in my element, and specifically disallowed any equipment that I don't own, but most gamers use."
Obviously thats not a real quote but even with my open mind and initial enthusiasm thats all I got from my research. It might be an awesome format and I'll still probably give it a whirl if one pops up nearby though.

I did both the GTI and TRC in NC. If you need the ankle support then a boot will be fine, but make sure you test it on a rope. I have both Solomon boots and shoes and the boots sucked at sticking me to a rope. Clothing wise light drifit type of shirts and my fav for pants has been Magellan fishing gear. Water resist, stupid light weight and breathe great.
Oh BTW you can’t miss fast enough. Every miss is 10 seconds, that’s a lot of running. Make your shots count, know you holds in offset positions and practice RUNNING 100 yards in gear while carrying something heavy and then shooting, breathing becomes a factor.
Man that's great thanks for detailing. What ranges were your targets and what size? Like say from 50 to 300 and IPSC? Thanks for the details this is super exciting

Rifle ranges for these two events were 7-225 yards, mostly Ipsc targets, and I’d it was close the only counts were A zone. Pistol was 7-50 yard, mostly close popers. Half of pistols work was either support hand or off position using Atac frame.

Reactions: atepointer
Awesome thanks. The running aspect where we are will be flat so I'm not too concerned about terrain although with the property they could make it fun and interesting it's on 1500 acres of what was once cattle pasture with a lot of woods. I know I'll be extremely challenged with the weight aspects of this, but ya gotta start somewhere! Supremely confident in my cardiovascular fitness, decent power to weight ratio and HUGE improvement needed in shooting with said stresses added to it. I reckon I'll be doing a lot of +10 extra running! I've always enjoyed new difficult tasks, having huge chunks of needed improvement in front of me and then nipping chunks off little by little.....fun to see the improvement. Like a lot of things in life that look daunting if you just stick your nose in and keep after it with the right attitude it's amazing what can be accomplished.

Thanks for your write up.

Last edited:

You want to be as light on your feet as possible. I wear the Salomon Speedcross. Most guys wear something similar and some switched into a gym type shoe for indoor stages. I wear a Velocity Systems shirt because they wear well under a plate carrier and dry quickly. If a stage has us doing something that can rip up pants I throw on a pair of UF Pro Urbans. There are stages where you are better off with a pair of running shorts. Other than when you need those rip resistant pants do not think about any sort of tactical clothing. Think running and working out clothing.

As for the training I'll also respond to @TonyTheTiger. For reference I compete in the masters.

The gear you will have on almost always is your carbine, a minimum 15lb plate carrier, and a pistol.

Shooting - if you have done USPSA and 3-Gun you will find TTG very basic. There is nothing technical whatsoever about it. It's just that you will have done a lot of work before the shooting so you will be breathing pretty hard. Just make your shots. If you are not accustomed to this type of shooting just shoot some 2-gun matches or shoot a 3G as a 2G (many clubs allow this). Be sure to wear the exact some rig you will use in TTG.

Shooting will not win you the competition but you must make your hits. For a lot of 3 gunners TTG shooting may seem boring. I think this sucks as so many guys either currently or at some time in the past did things like this for a living and there are sponsored 3 gunners who compete in this.

Physical training - You would do very well if you conquer 3 things, rope climbing, the aggregate, and running. There are lots of monster weight lifters and some who look like they have been prepping for a body building contest. These guys do not even show up on the radar during the competition but for some reason they make the highlight photos.

The rope - You don't have to climb an 18ft rope in 2 pulls and descend in 0.1 seconds. Be steady, get there in 3 (maybe 4) pulls, be smooth and be able to do it when you are tired and 100% without fail.

The aggregate - Be able to do the aggregate at a decent clip (jogging pace is fine) without stopping, and with the ability to do some sort of manual manipulation in between each exercise. They may have some rifle disassembly/reassembly in there. If you can run hard for the whole thing then great, but you don't have to. There are plenty of videos on this event but it goes something like this:
- Farmers carry (75lbs in each hand) 50-75 yards, 10 pistol shots on A/B steel at 25 yards. Carry back to start line
- 50lb sandbag 50-75 yards, repeat the pistol shots, and back to start line
- 75lb sled drag, repeat the above

In addition to the aggregate they will sprinkle a few variations of this throughout the course. Carrying 2x 5gal water jugs about 250 yards before climbing 8 flights of stairs... running 200 yards with a 40lb sandbag before entering a building, and back again after you come out,... Train so that this is not a struggle as there is a ton of other shit thrown in there.

Every Sunday morning I do 3x aggregates over 100 yards with about 4 minutes in between sets. Be sure to get some stair work in. Dumbbells are more difficult to carry than the barbells with handles, so train with those.

Running - This is the one you absolutely cannot slack on. The top three finishers can run fast with their gear. They are quick on their feet (scrambling around corners, on stairs and ladders and over distance). I have crushed the first and second place finishers in the rope and aggregate only to be passed on a longish run. I can beat them in a 100 yard dash but get my ass kicked in a 5K.

Running fast under a load is a win or lose thing in TTG.

My goal for Meridian is to be able to do the following times with all my gear:

1 mile - 7 minutes
2 miles - 16 minutes
3 miles - 26 minutes

I know two competitors who can do the 3 miles in 21 minutes.

A last note on training, dedicate 2 consecutive days to training. Maybe run a 5k before a 3G then do the aggregate the next morning. Too many guys struggle on the 2nd day.

The best training I did so far was a sprint triathlon with gear on Saturday. I wore long pants and a belt for the swim, threw on a shirt and the speedross for the bike ride (no clip in pedals, obviously) and wore the plate carrier for the run. The next morning I did the aggregate workout followed by running up and down a few small hills with a sandbag.

If I haven't said it enough, every time you train or take your dogs for a walk or mow the lawn have your plate carrier on. Wear side plates to bump it up.

Finally, TTG is an assload of fun. I have made a few new friends and the cadre are fantastic. I'm a bit addicted.

You want to be as light on your feet as possible. I wear the Salomon Speedcross. Most guys wear something similar and some switched into a gym type shoe for indoor stages. I wear a Velocity Systems shirt because they wear well under a plate carrier and dry quickly. If a stage has us doing something that can rip up pants I throw on a pair of UF Pro Urbans. There are stages where you are better off with a pair of running shorts. Other than when you need those rip resistant pants do not think about any sort of tactical clothing. Think running and working out clothing.

As for the training I'll also respond to @TonyTheTiger. For reference I compete in the masters.

The gear you will have on almost always is your carbine, a minimum 15lb plate carrier, and a pistol.

Shooting - if you have done USPSA and 3-Gun you will find TTG very basic. There is nothing technical whatsoever about it. It's just that you will have done a lot of work before the shooting so you will be breathing pretty hard. Just make your shots. If you are not accustomed to this type of shooting just shoot some 2-gun matches or shoot a 3G as a 2G (many clubs allow this). Be sure to wear the exact some rig you will use in TTG.

Shooting will not win you the competition but you must make your hits. For a lot of 3 gunners TTG shooting may seem boring. I think this sucks as so many guys either currently or at some time in the past did things like this for a living and there are sponsored 3 gunners who compete in this.

Physical training - You would do very well if you conquer 3 things, rope climbing, the aggregate, and running. There are lots of monster weight lifters and some who look like they have been prepping for a body building contest. These guys do not even show up on the radar during the competition but for some reason they make the highlight photos.

The rope - You don't have to climb an 18ft rope in 2 pulls and descend in 0.1 seconds. Be steady, get there in 3 (maybe 4) pulls, be smooth and be able to do it when you are tired and 100% without fail.

The aggregate - Be able to do the aggregate at a decent clip (jogging pace is fine) without stopping, and with the ability to do some sort of manual manipulation in between each exercise. They may have some rifle disassembly/reassembly in there. If you can run hard for the whole thing then great, but you don't have to. There are plenty of videos on this event but it goes something like this:
- Farmers carry (75lbs in each hand) 50-75 yards, 10 pistol shots on A/B steel at 25 yards. Carry back to start line
- 50lb sandbag 50-75 yards, repeat the pistol shots, and back to start line
- 75lb sled drag, repeat the above

In addition to the aggregate they will sprinkle a few variations of this throughout the course. Carrying 2x 5gal water jugs about 250 yards before climbing 8 flights of stairs... running 200 yards with a 40lb sandbag before entering a building, and back again after you come out,... Train so that this is not a struggle as there is a ton of other shit thrown in there.

Every Sunday morning I do 3x aggregates over 100 yards with about 4 minutes in between sets. Be sure to get some stair work in. Dumbbells are more difficult to carry than the barbells with handles, so train with those.

Running - This is the one you absolutely cannot slack on. The top three finishers can run fast with their gear. They are quick on their feet (scrambling around corners, on stairs and ladders and over distance). I have crushed the first and second place finishers in the rope and aggregate only to be passed on a longish run. I can beat them in a 100 yard dash but get my ass kicked in a 5K.

Running fast under a load is a win or lose thing in TTG.

My goal for Meridian is to be able to do the following times with all my gear:

1 mile - 7 minutes
2 miles - 16 minutes
3 miles - 26 minutes

I know two competitors who can do the 3 miles in 21 minutes.

A last note on training, dedicate 2 consecutive days to training. Maybe run a 5k before a 3G then do the aggregate the next morning. Too many guys struggle on the 2nd day.

The best training I did so far was a sprint triathlon with gear on Saturday. I wore long pants and a belt for the swim, threw on a shirt and the speedross for the bike ride (no clip in pedals, obviously) and wore the plate carrier for the run. The next morning I did the aggregate workout followed by running up and down a few small hills with a sandbag.

If I haven't said it enough, every time you train or take your dogs for a walk or mow the lawn have your plate carrier on. Wear side plates to bump it up.

Finally, TTG is an assload of fun. I have made a few new friends and the cadre are fantastic. I'm a bit addicted.
thanks for all that wow! a huge part of participating in this is the camaraderie of a bunch of folks i thoroughly enjoy being around. i have several friends LEO and ex-mil and they are all heading for TTG as well. great info on training and events. the 50 lb bags is like feeder filling day i'll just start leaving the bags farther from the feeder! i'm a runner by trade xc and track, but found the pool about 10 years ago after the ortho told me no more racing my knees said no bueno. i think i'll be ok with 'just enough' run training to not foul up my knees will just do it all on grass no road. going to have to dump maybe 2 days of swim practice for weights and other training though which i invite as swimming 5-6 days have become a little monotonous. all good stuff please feel free to data dump your experiences and lessons learned any time i will digest it all.

There are lots of monster weight lifters and some who look like they have been prepping for a body building contest. These guys do not even show up on the radar during the competition but for some reason they make the highlight photos.

That’s because of marketing and branding. You aren’t going to get traction and views/shares if you have a bunch of average joes running around in kit. What sells is bearded jacked dudes with tats because the targeted audience is peeps who want to play operator. So you market as such. Doesn’t matter if the dude pictured can’t shoot or is running around in “operator meme” shirts despite being supply when he was in (or never was in), that’s how you get shares and likes.

Obviously that’s the majority of the targeted audience that their marketing dept goes after. I’m not hating on it and would like to go to one, I just end up moving from each state before it gets to where I live within 30 minutes of lol.

I was pretty interested in this at first, competing with guns is my only hobby and fitness is important to me so I thought this might be a good hybrid. Then I read up and watched some videos and my takeaway was pretty much the creator of the series saying: "I'm a hardcore operator/gym rat and I went to a 3 gun match and got humiliated by fat guys that practice a lot. To make sure I never looked bad again I created a crossfit competition with some shooting to ensure that I will always be in my element, and specifically disallowed any equipment that I don't own, but most gamers use."
Obviously thats not a real quote but even with my open mind and initial enthusiasm thats all I got from my research. It might be an awesome format and I'll still probably give it a whirl if one pops up nearby though.

lol I could see that. But I can also just see someone who wants to have a more “realistic” or “combat” style multigun competition (I use realistic & combat reluctantly but you get my point). The good thing is that everyone should takeaway from TTG’s is “well I got to do some stress shoot training. Hmmf I guess I need to work on how I carry my gear, the straps on my PC, my overall equipment choices, and buy a new red dot because my NCStar Sniper Dot Ninja Optic died as soon as I fell on it.”

If you’re the kind of person who carries a gun for a living, you should be attending just for the fact that it’s a platform to do stress training you can’t do at a recreational range. If you’re the kind of person who doesn’t carry for a living but you have a plate carrier/anything tactical/use the word tactical/follow “operators” online/use the word operator/have a basement/argue online about gear and equipment then you should go to it and see where you need to improve/realize you don’t need three lights and two lasers on your kitchen built AR.

lol I could see that. But I can also just see someone who wants to have a more “realistic” or “combat” style multigun competition (I use realistic & combat reluctantly but you get my point). The good thing is that everyone should takeaway from TTG’s is “well I got to do some stress shoot training. Hmmf I guess I need to work on how I carry my gear, the straps on my PC, my overall equipment choices, and buy a new red dot because my NCStar Sniper Dot Ninja Optic died as soon as I fell on it.”

If you’re the kind of person who carries a gun for a living, you should be attending just for the fact that it’s a platform to do stress training you can’t do at a recreational range. If you’re the kind of person who doesn’t carry for a living but you have a plate carrier/anything tactical/use the word tactical/follow “operators” online/use the word operator/have a basement/argue online about gear and equipment then you should go to it and see where you need to improve/realize you don’t need three lights and two lasers on your kitchen built AR.
Plus I think it further appeals to someone who enjoys shooting, but likes exercise and fitness as much or more. If I can tie 2 into 1 I'll shoot a lot more w/o sacrificing my fitness. One of the biggest issues I had hunting a couple of seasons ago was my body went to shit sitting in trees all winter sacrificing a workout for a hunt b/c there are only so many hours a week to get things done. At my age you have to stay on fitness like a hawk or I can turn into a POS in a hurry! Heck I gave up thermal night hunting partly b/c of the sleep deprivation killing my swim times! I didn't put all the pieces of that puzzle together at the time, but those 2 things were not good for my overall health and I enjoyed them thoroughly. If I can skip swim practice a couple of days a week, but get in a ton of training with the gun AND lifting and running all in one. I'm skinny, no tatts or beard, no tacticaool product t-shirts but that ain't gonna keep me away from TTG. I'm interested to see what walks of life, professions and people I meet at TTG.....a lot of shared interests which are a great draw to me I'm really looking forward to it.

I have mixed feelings about this new game. The shooting part just seems like such an afterthought. The only part that makes it hard is you're smoked from the exercises. The hard as hell 3-gun matches seemed way more fun. I guess if you're a crossfit junkie and like to shoot guns, this is more for you. But if you're more into shooting and less into crossfit, this probably isn't as fulfilling.

OP, am I wrong?

Reactions: Forrest84
I have mixed feelings about this new game. The shooting part just seems like such an afterthought. The only part that makes it hard is you're smoked from the exercises. The hard as hell 3-gun matches seemed way more fun. I guess if you're a crossfit junkie and like to shoot guns, this is more for you. But if you're more into shooting and less into crossfit, this probably isn't as fulfilling.

OP, am I wrong?

I think you need more than one shooting discipline to make you a complete shooter. In 3G you get to walk the stage and come up with a game plan, including carrying only what you need. In TTG you don't know what is around the next corner, carrying everything, but when you do engage it is very straightforward. One thing they threw in for GTI was random images of historical figures inside buildings. The test was simply to see if you saw them. If you had shooting tunnel vision you were going to run right past them. If you saw them you got bonus time. That's not a shooting skill but a situational awareness one.

As @M8541Reaper pointed out, this is a real test of real world gear. My 3G setup sits in the armory when not doing 3G stuff. My TTG setup sits in a bag in my truck with the carbine in a rack (although, my run and gun carbine sometimes sits there). Everything I do to train for TTG and the equipment I do it with has real world application.

But you are correct, TTG is definitely more towards the fitness part over the shooting part. I do hope they change that.

So do both and you'll be much better off than someone who just does one or the other.

I think you need more than one shooting discipline to make you a complete shooter. In 3G you get to walk the stage and come up with a game plan, including carrying only what you need. In TTG you don't know what is around the next corner, carrying everything, but when you do engage it is very straightforward. One thing they threw in for GTI was random images of historical figures inside buildings. The test was simply to see if you saw them. If you had shooting tunnel vision you were going to run right past them. If you saw them you got bonus time. That's not a shooting skill but a situational awareness one.

As @M8541Reaper pointed out, this is a real test of real world gear. My 3G setup sits in the armory when not doing 3G stuff. My TTG setup sits in a bag in my truck with the carbine in a rack (although, my run and gun carbine sometimes sits there). Everything I do to train for TTG and the equipment I do it with has real world application.

But you are correct, TTG is definitely more towards the fitness part over the shooting part. I do hope they change that.

So do both and you'll be much better off than someone who just does one or the other.

That's cool that they throw little things like that in there. I've been very lax on fitness lately. I ran a 8:33 mile the other day and almost puked. I will checkout the schedule and see what midwest events they have if any.

I seen that GTI is hosting TG again in 2020 . I going I want to try most everything once, so far a couple of RnG's a couple of long range matchs , got one next month at GTI. So I think the TG will be a winner and check mark on the bucket list of life..

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Sound like PRS in 5 years, with all the weird stuff they keep implementing. Lol

All joking aside it sounds like fun. Spartan run with weapons.

Being a “east coaster” you cant find somewhere to drop you rifle and run your pistol, unless you want to be arrested.
Private property ranges

I've done 3 of these events (Atlanta, GTI and NC). I'm signed up for Mississippi in February. They are a lot of fun. The organizers are really friendly and helpful. Don't let the "I was an operator" and "this is based on the super secret workouts we did, put you off." The people (at least in my category-Masters) are friendly and helpful.

The stages are challenging and a lot of fun.

I recommend it. You want to be in shape and prepared. The events are physical.

My wife and I are getting involved with it now. Just ordered two Ferro Concepts slickster plate carriers. What do you guys use for plates?

Gear type, placement and access all count for every aspect of the battles in TTG. Your carrier has to weight 15 so you may as well run some good real plates like AR500 or similar. I use curved with a angle cut for movement.

Reactions: aslrookie
Gear type, placement and access all count for every aspect of the battles in TTG. Your carrier has to weight 15 so you may as well run some good real plates like AR500 or similar. I use curved with a angle cut for movement.

My partner runs the same and I have the triple curve. I do not recall seeing any workout or crossfit type carriers. IMHO you want a swimmers cut, but most shooters cuts will do.

The guys at Recoil don't write about something unless they do it. I met Ian at GTI and in addition to being a pretty cool dude he worked his ass off for 2 days. Below video he put together that gives a hint of how much fun this is.

The guys at Recoil don't write about something unless they do it. I met Ian at GTI and in addition to being a pretty cool dude he worked his ass off for 2 days. Below video he put together that gives a hint of how much fun this is.

Great video, can’t wait till next year.

This game is free in the military. You get to do buddy rushes state to state then country to country...and they pay you...sorta..sometimes.

Not as fun when you’re forced to do it at usually the least convenient time lol.

least convenient time

You mean when your hungover and still got that dry mouth from the dip you left in when you passed out the night before , as you show up to the armory at 0330 for no real reason beside the OIC needing 5 hours to conduct “troop movement” and you forgot your camelback is still full of purple drank vodka?

• Haha
Reactions: imacad
You mean when your hungover and still got that dry mouth from the dip you left in when you passed out the night before , as you show up to the armory at 0330 for no real reason beside the OIC needing 5 hours to conduct “troop movement” and you forgot your camelback is still full of purple drank vodka?

It’s like you’ve done this before with how accurate that sounds.

I'm signing up for the May 2020 TTG in California. I've been following these since the beginning, and I'm excited to have the opportunity to go to one now.

Even with the drawbacks/concerns, I think it will be a lot of fun and very different from what I'm used to, which is 3gun. The things I dislike most about 3gun are the gaming, gear race and lack of physicality, so TTG will be a nice change of pace. I wouldn't mind some more interesting courses of fire, but it's not a deal breaker.

Lol read the San Louis Obispo, CA. On the CA national guard base and sounds like they use this for recruiting. Here is an excerpt, the last paragraph is gold.

The Tactical Games, in concert with the California National Guard (CANG), has scheduled a Tactical Games event on Camp San Luis Obispo (CSLO) to train, test, and highlight the skill sets of tactical athletes, and to serve as a recruiting tool, a selection tool for CANG special teams, and to improve the relationship between the California National Guard and the civilian population surrounding Camp San Luis Obispo. .

..."We have gone the extra-mile in making sure this event is a huge success both for the CANG, as well as for our civilian athletes who want to compete at this amazing venue. We have worked diligently to ensure that athletes can enter and depart the State of California with their firearms as they are, to facilitate this event. We communicated with the California Department of Justice CDOJ in order to get blanket legal cover for the event, and although we did not receive any special treatment, we were told that the existing law §30665 is adequate legal coverage for athletes entering and departing the state.

In a strange twist, this statute allows more legal rights to out-of-state firearms owners than it does to those actually living in the State of California. But then again, we knew this would be the first time the Tactical Games would be held in a communist country."

• Haha
Reactions: Fig and seansmd
Lol read the San Louis Obispo, CA. On the CA national guard base and sounds like they use this for recruiting. Here is an excerpt, the last paragraph is gold.

"In a strange twist, this statute allows more legal rights to out-of-state firearms owners than it does to those actually living in the State of California. But then again, we knew this would be the first time the Tactical Games would be held in a communist country."
Yeah that's awesome, the kind of attitude/action that makes we want to do it even more. Unfortunately I'm one of the Californians that gets screwed.

For example, all 5 of their approved muzzle devices are illegal in CA unless you registered an AW (f*ck that). I don't have a single rifle that would be allowed. :(

I wrote to them asking if they are going to expand the allowed muzzle devices for the CA event, we'll see what they say.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
They are doing these at CCC in Cresson,TX also. It looks fun, I may try it late next year. Definitely not prepared for it right now.

Yeah that's awesome, the kind of attitude/action that makes we want to do it even more. Unfortunately I'm one of the Californians that gets screwed.

For example, all 5 of their approved muzzle devices are illegal in CA unless you registered an AW (f*ck that). I don't have a single rifle that would be allowed. :(

I wrote to them asking if they are going to expand the allowed muzzle devices for the CA event, we'll see what they say.

I wouldn't let that deter you. Bring a flash hider and whatever standard parts it takes to un CAstrate your rifle and fix it up onsite.

I can say a lot about video games, especially since as a child I always play games on the internet with my friends. I played a lot and I liked Dota2 the most, which brings me the greatest pleasure. Has anyone tried to buy an MMR boost? Personally, I really liked it. It's the perfect place and if you are looking for MMR boosting service then without a doubt they are the best choice.

Last edited:
Of course, many people nowadays play games on the internet and I think it's normal. Personally, I am a student and I manage to play anyway. After class, I work online, and only after that, I can afford to play.

Come on out. It's an absolute blast. If you can, share your training regimen.

Reactions: Bender
the only video game you will ever need lol
The Smurfs Dance Party yea baby thought admittedly its not a shooter
I did see this and though it could be neat around the house just for some practice depending on the actual cost
or
https://mantisx.com/ makes a light version with a cloth backdrop target

one of the others with targets you can use all around the house could be neat not a replacement to the range but an added thing to do .

Last edited: