• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Tactical Hunting Guides

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm interested in going on a hunting trip out west next season and I'm wondering if there are any tactical hunting guides.

What I mean is that are there any guides which use tactical rifles, use mils for spotting, etc.

I've never been on a hunt before (except squirrel hunting) and I have no idea about guides and such.

Please be kind to the newbie.
wink.gif

Re: Tactical Hunting Guides

If you can afford the guide take a quality laser for rangefinding. First animals tend to be in motion and hard to mil to begin with. Second, JMHO, but mildots are for backup or matches to build skill and use if a laser is unavailable. The chance to wound an animal because of being off a little at longer ranges is high. Additional note: I would think you will have a hard time finding a guide who will want you shooting further than a few hundred yards. Not a judgement on hunting at range, just happen to have spoken with a few guides and read a lot on the subject as well.
Matt

definitely use a laser range finder. Unless you are taking someone with you that you are used to working with I don't think I would trust someone that I didn't practice with.

As said before, I would want a LR for sure. When you glass up an animal, it can take a bit to get the shot off. In the mean time the aniaml is moving, and your ranges will change. I wouldnt want to have to mil the range, then have to re-mil the new range over and over.

I have an LRF.

I guess my main point is I'm trying to avoid taking a tactical rifle on a hunt that weighs a ton, with equipment that many guides may not be familiar with only to made fun of.

As I said, I'm a newbie to hunting anything other than squirrels and have read in a few places about some guides not being terribly kind to those who have tactical weapons. Nothing horrible or anything, but the last thing I want if I spend all kinds of cash on going on a nice hunt is to take shit about my choice of weapon. I'm already going to suck as it is.

Where are you thinking of going and what species are you interested in? Or are you more interested in finding the guide and picking from what they have to offer in their area?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an LRF.

I guess my main point is I'm trying to avoid taking a tactical rifle on a hunt that weighs a ton, with equipment that many guides may not be familiar with only to made fun of.
</div></div>
I do guided elk, mule deer, whitetail, and gonna start doing guided predator hunts as well, here is some of my equip that i carry in my multicam eberlestock, armalite super sass, srt shadow xl ti, did have a newcon 4000ci, planning on a plrf-10 in the near future, trimble nomad w/delta IV, about 5 xtra 5rd mags, unless predator hunting then about 5 xtra 30rounders, bushnell onix with topo map, kestrel 4500bt weather station, sony HD video camera, tripod, i'm guessing my pack weighs in @ 35-45lbs loaded, depending if i add my prairie blaster with the 2 lb battery pack, but i work out hard every morning so i'm used to the weight on the shoulders, i always told my old rodeo friends they need a horse to do the work, i was an athlete, so i'm use to doing the work.
i wouldn't make fun of any client for any equip they came in with, as long as they didn't miss!!!
forgot to add, i don't use mil's (and i use a lrf dont trust guys ranging w/reticles), only moa incase that doesn't make me a tactical hunting guide.

The guide is the guide, you can frikn range it however you wish. Don't forget the lap top and the radar gun so you can get your lead just right on those running shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guide is the guide, you can frikn range it however you wish. Don't forget the lap top and the radar gun so you can get your lead just right on those running shots. </div></div>
your right, the guide is the guide, and i own all the land i guide on, 10K plus acres, and if i don't trust a guys ranging capabilities without seein his skills on live moving targets, its MY call to say hey... use your LRF, its gonna get you a more accurate read out.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't forget the lap top and the radar gun so you can get your lead just right on those running shots. </div></div>
i'll make sure to leave these @ home, wouldn't want my hunters to make fun of me!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never been on a hunt before (except squirrel hunting) </div></div>
fwiw - before going on a high dollar dream trip, a management deer hunt near where you live might help you sort through what works and does not with your current set-up, as well as provide some practice in field conditions with your boot and clothing choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an LRF.

I guess my main point is I'm trying to avoid taking a tactical rifle on a hunt that weighs a ton, with equipment that many guides may not be familiar with only to made fun of. </div></div>
Definitely use a LRF. Animal size varies quite a bit with differences in age, body weight, and individual characteristics.

Competent shooting usually is much appreciated.

There is going to be some good-natured ribbing and laughs in all directions in most hunting camps, which is a nice part of the experience. The guides are businessmen and you are a client. They want you to succeed and to have a good time.

Good luck!

eleaf,

I think it is a common misconception that to get out past a couple of hundred yards you need to carry a big gun. Have you tried shooting a standard weight rifle, with proper pillar or aluminum bedding out to 5 or 600 yards? The limitation at this range is in the number of shots due to the barrel warming in general. While heavier = more stable, how many rifles shoot sub moa for 3-5 shots with standard wieght? I have seen many over the years. I have taken about a half dozen whitetail does between 400 and 500 yards. These shots were on farms I shot on and knew the range, or with LRF assistance. Half of these deer were shot with a 243 M70 in a WOOD stock and no bedding. for 3 or 4 shots that rifle would shoot a bughole, and with 100gr sgk's I had full confidence in its capability. The other half were taken with my 5R milspec. However far you wish to shoot, check your equipment to find out your range limitations with it, you may be pleasantly surprised,and save yourself from carrying unnecessary weight! Good hunting!

Any guide worth his salt is going to get you close to the animal, not so for as you neeed to jump through hoops to range it.

Nor will he let you shoot a moving animal.

Just sight your rifle in where you don't have to do any hold over/unders up to 300 yards. If the guide is any good, you'll probably be closer to 100 yards.

Don't know what you'll be hunting but antilope are the worse, people tend to over shoot them because they think they are a long ways out. They are small, standing in grass, meaning a lot closer then you think. That's where a laser range finder comes in.

I ran across a group of hunters last year to were trying to guestimate the distance to some goats. I heard everything from 300 to 500 yards. My range finder registered 225. Plus there was a ditch where one could get within pistol range.

Im not sure if Shawn Carlock is still offering hunts, but if i remember correctly he used to, or helped another guide for Whitetails.

Forget the milling part when hunting. Mills are great if you are trying to hit a piece of steel or somewhere between a chin and groin on something shooting back at you. Animals are different sizes so milling them would be a bit better than a guess, but not much. Your not going for a hit to get a point or make them stop shooting back at you. You need to shoot for a clean kill. Only way is to laser them

Well due to OPSEC I cannot release the name of the guide here is my "brutha from anutha mutha" corner of his cabin who is indeed a professional elk hunting guide. You will notice all of the tactical gear and its all in multicam as well as the tactical rifles and the 10"AR with suppressor (not on it in pic) with< PVS14, magnifier, EOtech 553, ATPIAL, light/laser and all the accessories. He is a legitimate professional tactical elk guide
Hunt058.jpg

hammer.gif

My mind was in neutral this morning.

The obvious answer to the question is PGS and elkhuntinguide.

yum, you got some good maple syrup for breakfast and good booze for the campfire. looks to be a kick ass hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ykrvak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you thinking of going and what species are you interested in? Or are you more interested in finding the guide and picking from what they have to offer in their area? </div></div>

I was thinking of going out west (Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, the Dakotas) to go after pronghorn.

Looks like that guide in the pic has a pretty good stockpile of booze!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing horrible or anything, but the last thing I want if I spend all kinds of cash on going on a nice hunt is to take shit about my choice of weapon. I'm already going to suck as it is. </div></div>

What most guides are concerend about is that you are in shape to perform the physical tasks associated with the hunt, that you are proficient with your weapon, and finally that you are safe. I guess if you show up with a 50 BMG they might wonder whats going on?

I booked my hunt today.

I'm going on a combo Pronghorn/Deer hunt in Eastern Wyoming.

I'm currently looking in to getting a light weight rifle for all the trekking (fortunately it's all in rolling grasslands rather than mountains).

Just don't know which direction I want to go.

I'm thinking of putting a B&C Alaskan II on a Rem 700 Mountain rifle with a Super Sniper 3-9x42.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any guide worth his salt is going to get you close to the animal, not so for as you neeed to jump through hoops to range it.

If the guide is any good, you'll probably be closer to 100 yards.

</div></div>
Seriously??? What a load of crap. As a guide, my job is to provide the hunter with the experience he is after. Being an ethical guide first, a trip to the range will show me what the hunter is capable of. From that point, I will give him the hunt he wants. So as a guide, if my hunter wants to shoot far and is capable, I am "not worth my salt" if I dont get him "closer to 100 yards"? Yours is a very generalized and assnine statement.

As I said, I'm a newbie to hunting anything other than squirrels and have read in a few places about some guides not being terribly kind to those who have tactical weapons. Nothing horrible or anything, but the last thing I want if I spend all kinds of cash on going on a nice hunt is to take shit about my choice of weapon. I'm already going to suck as it is. </div></div>

I went on a guided hunt down in Texas last winter (hogs, coyote, fox and bobcat). I brought an AR 15, heavy barrel with a 3.5x16 tactical scope. I thought varmint/predator hunting with an AR these days is pretty common, but these guys were old school and I took my share of teasing. There were two guides, me and one other hunter who was using a traditional bolt gun in 22-250. Long story short, I hit everything I shot at (all DRT kills except one hog that ran about 30 feet, than died) while the other hunter missed 8 out of 10 shots. The two hits he did make were poorly placed and both required second shots to finish the job. No more teasing.

Moral of the story: Bring whatever rifle you enjoy shooting that will get the job done, but make sure you are comfortable and well practiced with it. In the end, shooting skills will impress a guide a lot more than your equipment.

Good luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I booked my hunt today.

I'm currently looking in to getting a light weight rifle for all the trekking (fortunately it's all in rolling grasslands rather than mountains).

I'm thinking of putting a B&C Alaskan II on a Rem 700 Mountain rifle with a Super Sniper 3-9x42. </div></div>

I would give Tikka T3 a hard look. The SL with the fluted barrel is the lightest, comes in around 5.7 pounds with sub moa, good crisp trigger, smooth bolt, supplied rings, for an off the shelf mountain rifle, in my opinion hard to beat for the coin.

Get good boots and start training now with a loaded backpack up and down hills, ride a bike if you cannot get out with the pack, bike riding simulates the short steep strokes of climbing up a hill and has less stress on the joints. Do some light weighttraining and get your abs in shape, these will help with carrying a heavy pack. Eat right and drink loads of water. I also prefer SLOD training (slow long over distance) every 10-14 days and then rest for 24 hours to help train the mind the body can work for long periods of time. I use to jog at 9mim pace for 2 hours one week and then next ride 50 miles on road bike. If you drink coffee or anything with caffeine, cut down and stop it completely about at a month out from your trip. This will rid the body of the effects of caffeine. Take rocket fuel with you in your pack, chocolate covered coffee beans and when the body gets tire and mind sluggish, these will rocket you since your body is lack of caffeine. Take snacks that will enjoy out in the backcountry, not necessarily what you like at home. I had clients show up with trail mix jerky because that is what everyone eats and then could not eat it. Things change once in the backcountry and working the body everyday. Hard candies are good for a dry mouth. Take your own mountain money in double up zip lock. When you make a deposit its yours and the denomination you like.

Most of all, go with the attitude you are having fun. When the little things happen and they will, take a breath, look around at the scenery and enjoy it. I had clients that went off due to a minor thing like a lace breaking, spilled food/drink, rips in their $300 jackets, etc and it would ruin the day and sometimes longer.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I booked my hunt today.

I'm thinking of putting a B&C Alaskan II on a Rem 700 Mountain rifle with a Super Sniper 3-9x42. </div></div>

I would give Tikka T3 a hard look. The SL with the fluted barrel is the lightest, comes in around 5.7 pounds with sub moa, good crisp trigger, smooth bolt, supplied rings, for an off the shelf mountain rifle, in my opinion hard to beat for the coin.

Get good boots and start training now with a loaded backpack up and down hills, ride a bike if you cannot get out with the pack, bike riding simulates the short steep strokes of climbing up a hill and has less stress on the joints. Do some light weighttraining and get your abs in shape, these will help with carrying a heavy pack. Eat right and drink loads of water. I also prefer SLOD training (slow long over distance) every 10-14 days and then rest for 24 hours to help train the mind the body can work for long periods of time. I use to jog at 9mim pace for 2 hours one week and then next ride 50 miles on road bike. If you drink coffee or anything with caffeine, cut down and stop it completely about at a month out from your trip. This will rid the body of the effects of caffeine. Take rocket fuel with you in your pack, chocolate covered coffee beans and when the body gets tire and mind sluggish, these will rocket you since your body is lack of caffeine. Take snacks that will enjoy out in the backcountry, not necessarily what you like at home. I had clients show up with trail mix jerky because that is what everyone eats and then could not eat it. Things change once in the backcountry and working the body everyday. Hard candies are good for a dry mouth. Take your own mountain money in double up zip lock. When you make a deposit its yours and the denomination you like.

Most of all, go with the attitude you are having fun. When the little things happen and they will, take a breath, look around at the scenery and enjoy it. I had clients that went off due to a minor thing like a lace breaking, spilled food/drink, rips in their $300 jackets, etc and it would ruin the day and sometimes longer.

Good luck </div></div>

Thanks.

Good info.

I went with the rifle I had mentioned earlier in the thread.

A Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 that I'm going to throw in a B&C Alaskan II. It's not he absolute lightest rifle I could get, but it's plenty light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I booked my hunt today.

Spotting scope and window mount will save you lots of boot leather in that country. guess on the goat hunts i have done most the walking is just the stalk to get into position not to physically challenging

If you're serious about a great western hunt put on by guys that like shooting long and harvesting trophies, give me a shout. We produce big Utah elk and muleys every year. We use the best optics, glass the hardest, and hunt the best private ground around on guaranteed any legal weapon tags, plenty of refferences upon request.

We specialize in longrange canyon hunting in northern Utah on a 15,000 acre private ranch with guaranteed tags.