• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tactical pants

BradfromND

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Fargo, ND
I feel a little weird asking other guys about pants but here goes. I'm looking for something light weight to wear this summer for 3gun matches, maybe a couple tac matches, and just range use. I tried on a pair of 5.11 taclite pants last night and they're nice and light weight, comfortable pants but they taper a lot to the bottom of the legs and are pretty tight around the ankle. Are there any other pants out there that are similar to these but don't have as much taper at the bottom and a little looser at the ankle?

Thanks for your help.
Brad

get yourself a good pair of cargo pants. I'm not big on 5.11 alot of guys wear them just because they're Tacticool but they're also more expensive than what they're worth.

tactical pants

Look at vertx or Columbia. The synthetic are good for the summer. There's more good brands. Might try to go to an outdoor store in your area and look at their hiking pants

Last edited:
get yourself a good pair of cargo pants. I'm not big on 5.11 alot of guys wear them just because they're Tacticool but they're also more expensive than what they're worth.

+1 Go to Old Navy and pick up some cargo pants. Get some cargo shorts for the hot Summer.

If you want the tacticool look, Tru Spec bdu's are good and usually priced right. 511's and Vertex don't seem to fit me quite right either.

Plus 1 on Tru Spec for a cheap option. Crye if you want to spend a metric shit ton on pants.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have plenty of cargo shorts, but figured I better wear pants for 3gun where I might have to run and then drop to my knees to shoot.

I could care less if I look tacticool, I'm more interested in light weight pants that breathe but are still tough enough to take a beating. Old Navy jeans don't last but a couple outings and the seams start to blow out. Not a fan. The Vertx pants look to have a more open bottom for my huge feet and they also have 36 inch inseam. I'm 6'4" and it can be tough to find pants long enough. I'll be checking into them for sure.

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys. I have plenty of cargo shorts, but figured I better wear pants for 3gun where I might have to run and then drop to my knees to shoot.

I could care less if I look tacticool, I'm more interested in light weight pants that breathe but are still tough enough to take a beating. Old Navy jeans don't last but a couple outings and the seams start to blow out. Not a fan. The Vertx pants look to have a more open bottom for my huge feet and they also have 36 inch inseam. I'm 6'4" and it can be tough to find pants long enough. I'll be checking into them for sure.

Thanks guys.

I'm the same size. 6'4" with a 36" inseam. I hace a 36" waste and 28" thighs so finding any type of pant is always a pain in the ass.....no pun intended. Old navy is the only place i can find ones that fit. They have ttwo different style cargo pants. one is thinner and the other is pretty thick. I have found the thicker kind to be very rugged. I've never done 3 gun but i've ran plenty of carbine course with them and they've help up fine. Just my .02

now I am opposite, 5:11 pants (which I got at Cabelas very cheap) fit me great. Nothing at Old Navy fits me at all. I am 5'9 and 190. Being shorter with an athletic frame is a pain in the arse sometimes too.

I actually went to a military surplus place. I wear desert camo pants (not marpat). The 90's desert camo. Since I live out west, we have alot of dry/dead grasses most of the year. They can withstand a good amount of abuse, and are pretty comfy. Get a large/long pair and see how you like em :)

While we`re at it....who makes a ripstop type jacket with velcro on the sleeves for patch attachment? I found one from vertx but it was a smock and 400 bucks! looking for a lightweight and havent had any luck finding one as of yet. thanks

Check out the Eddie Bauer First Ascent Guide Pants. I've been beating on two pairs for over a year now. Most comfortable pant I've ever worn as they stretch and breathe very well yet don't scream tacticool on any level. Only weakness is in the stitching on the main fly button but that's easy resolved with a needle and thread. Their traditional twill cargo pants are top notch as well.

Last edited:
For a jacket, I'd agree, check out the rothco, those are cool. I actually wear a rothco combat shirt. The kind that is stretchy around the body, but has military coat sleeves for patches and stuff

Check out these for light and breathable pants for warm/humid weather:
Force 10 AC Cargo Pant
The Amphibious material is awesome, I wear them all the time for warm weather hunts where I want to keep my legs protected. They have knee pockets for installing kneepads that are nice for when you have to kneel. They are also cut a bit longer. I'm 6'3" and their 34" inseams are longer than any of the other 34" pants I have worn.

More info here:
Military Morons Pants (Regular) Page 2

Vertx, Kuhl, or Ex Officio. Or Gap. I wear Gap cargo pants. They are 11 bucks at their outlet. I have 5 pairs that have lasted over a year now.

I'm a big fan of the VertX Phantom LT pants. I wear them all year 'round for work. Not overtly tacticool. The cargo pockets lay flat and have a unique top flap that works well but doesn't stick out as overly cargo-y. More of an athletic fit than most tactical pants with a slightly lower rise from the crotch to the waist. I also like the Kuhl Revolvr pants. They have a bit less cargo capacity, though.

Have you looked at combat shirts for a "jacket" with loop field for patches. Typically, the torso is made of a moisture-wicking fabric while the sleeves are made from a ripstop fabric. More comfortable than old school BDU ripstop jackets. If you want a wind and water resistant jacket, the Arc'Teryx LEAF Drac is hard to beat. MSRP is about $270. They can be found on eBay for quite a bit less.

BradfromND, what is your waist size & inseam? I may have a deal for you, as in "Free" on some unworn, tan pants. Several Pair!!!

I'm a 34-36 inch waist with 36 inch inseam too!

Also check out Kitanica, expensive but I have two pair that are indestructible.

Why do some people always recommend the cheapest piece of shit options?

I have the 5.11 Men's TDU pants, part #74003: Amazon.com: 5.11 #74003 Men's Ripstop TDU Pants: Sports & Outdoors

I purchased them about 7 years ago. I have competed in probably 50 USPSA, Action Pistol, Long Range Precision Rifle and 3Gun competitions. I wear them EVERY time I go shooting. That means I have probably worn these things over 200 times, through very difficult situations, rolling all over the place, hiking, sweating, etc. They have been flawless. They have a ton pockets, with pockets within pockets, elastic waistband, tie done cuffs, extra material around the crotch and knees, etc. They even came with internal knee pads.

The Old Navy Cargo pants are not ripstop nylon and would probably only last a season or two for me. I cannot understand how $57 (my cost on Amazon for my size and color) is too expensive.

No thanks to the people pushing Old Navy. That crap is going to cost you more in the long run. While the Old Navy's will require replacement every 2 years, I will have mine for over a decade at this rate.

Buy once cry once get the Crye Gen3. Fit is awesome and comfortable and knee pad location is adjustable as I am only 5'9"

Only downside is wife gave me a ton of shit for pants costing so much oh well ordering another pair tonight to ensure I can cover a 2 day comp

I have both 5:11 and Blackhawk. Blackhawk make a couple of different styles, they are a poly type material they don't stain as easily.

I have a pair of 5.11's. Only worn em a few times, don't really have an opinion of em. The pants I normally wear on range day are made by Magellan. Got em at Academy for $18. Tan, gray, and OD Green are the only 3 colors they sell em in. Come with or without cargo pockets. Well worth the money. Three pairs, three years old. Two to three full range days a month. I checked last week, they still sell em for the same price......

Duluth trading ultimate flex firehose work pants with the knee pad inserts.

If you don't want the knee pad slots built in, the flex firehose pants are a bit lighter (cooler in the summer) or the dry on the fly nylon based pant.

I like my TAD gear pants too, but the duluth pants are the same quality at a lower price...

I have 5.11 pants that I wear shooting p dogs in the summer. Going on 3 years now. Very lightweight and comfortable

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Not into being tacticool but picked up two pairs of 5.11 pants a couple of years ago because they were well made and had a good fit. They have worn well and nice to be able to insert knee pads. Carhartt duck pants are can really take the abuse and the toughest of any pants I have worn.

also check out Prana, I have a pair that I've put through the ringer and they are still kicking. A lot of climbing companies have good options Mammut, Arcteryx, Prana, etc

Vertx or 5.11s are my choice as they are comfortable for going to various training classes for work when you never know what you may be getting involved in. I put them through a shit ton of abuse on patrol and really loved them as they were very durable, unfortunately my current agency does not authorize them for patrol use. Damn.

Brad, try a pair of mascot pants. They are awesome pants, very durable and just fit great.

Check with Shane at Tactical Supplier in Yakima WA. He will get you squared away on a set of pants.

I agree with Vibby on the Mascot pants!! I tried my first pair at a match, really liked them so I started wearing them to work. My line of work is a structural steel ironworker/contract welder. These pants are durable as pants can be. They may not look the "Tacti-cool" look or be multi-cam color, but they comfortable, strong, lightweight, kevlar knee areas (can also throw knee pads in), and not priced horribly.

I got mine from Jake's recommendation Shayne at Tacticalsupplier.com. I now own 5 pairs, and never look back.

I'm certainly not going to deny that durable and quick drying trousers aren't nice to have......but, ........um...... am I the only one to think a couple of short sprints and occasional kneeling requires no specialized clothing?

I'm certainly not going to deny that durable and quick drying trousers aren't nice to have......but, ........um...... am I the only one to think a couple of short sprints and occasional kneeling requires no specialized clothing?

As a very high mileage 50 year old the knee pads help I am sad to say the old jar head will still hit the deck into position quick regardless of after effects

Wrangler cargo pants at Target or Walmart... if you feel bad wearing cheap pants... make a pile of money using $20 bills and light it on fire, it will help.

Wrangler cargo pants at Target or Walmart... if you feel bad wearing cheap pants... make a pile of money using $20 bills and light it on fire, it will help.

While your post does not. And thank you for supporting overseas sweats shops by buying the cheapest there is out there. Really appreciate you helping turn this country into a third world country by diluting funds and sending them over seas. You have issues with spending money but then you spend your money on companies outside of the US. Gee.. thanks.

While your post does not. And thank you for supporting overseas sweats shops by buying the cheapest there is out there. Really appreciate you helping turn this country into a third world country by diluting funds and sending them over seas. You have issues with spending money but then you spend your money on companies outside of the US. Gee.. thanks.

Cause you spend every dollar on US made stuff. Shit even the military buys stuff from overseas. Give me a break....... What vehicle do you drive. Because no vehicle is made solely in the US anymore. And that's a fact jack!

Just goes back to the point on this site that if you don't buy the most expensive thing out there " you aren't cool like the rest of us".

Last edited:

I'm guessing you don't eat at any asian or hispanic food establishments either, right? I promise you some of that cash goes across the border to help their families out.

I wore the cargo pants from Walmart for a while. They were okay. I tried a pair of Vertx pants last year and they offer a much more comfortable fit and much better range of motion. I did buy a pair of VertX Phantom LT Light Tactical Pants with IntelliDry. They are not nearly as comfortable and they ripped the first time a took a knee. The rip stop worked but there is still a hole that shouldn't be there. The standard tactical pant are awesome and have been tough of nails though. They have become my daily wear pants.

"Capitalism - an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market" - source Merriam-Webster Dictionary..

I'm curious, how did you arrive at the conclusion that protecting US businesses that are not competitive would be a good thing for this country? I would also like you to cite your sources on the Wrangler Cargo pants being manufactured in sweat shops... Walmart would probably also be interested in your facts. Did you even research where they are made or just jump to a conclusion?

Last edited:
I asked this same question to Frank aka Lowlight. He sent me to these guys....... best pair of pants I've ever owned. Ask Frank yourself they work and are comfy.

Force 10 RS Cargo Pant

"Capitalism - an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market" - source Merriam-Webster Dictionary..

I'm curious, how did you arrive at the conclusion that protecting US businesses that are not competitive would be a good thing for this country? I would also like you to cite your sources on the Wrangler Cargo pants being manufactured in sweat shops... Walmart would probably also be interested in your facts. Did you even research where they are made or just jump to a conclusion?

First source: Wrangler (jeans) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It shows that the last U.S. sewing plant is closed in 2005.

Second Source: http://www.vfc.com/VF/corporation/r...obal-Compliance/2011 VF Compliance Report.pdf This is the compliance report directly from VF, which owns Wrangler Jeans. None of the photos nor is there anywhere stating that they are made in America. All of the photos show people of Asian decent. Looks hot in a lot of the photos.

Third Source: Wrangler and sustainability: D-label | Buy sustainable brands - This questions a lot of practice of Wrangler Jeans and VF in particular. The people are to work 60 hours per week and there is no overtime.

I never said protecting US businesses that are not competitive is a good thing. I was only saying that we should not be governed completely by price alone. We should look at all aspects of the business product to further consider quality, customer service, sustainability, affect to the economy, etc. Just going by complete price is a bad purchasing decision model. The "expensive" companies out there that produce a high quality product are very competitive.

So I did not come to a conclusion without research. Thank you. Walmart does not care about where their products come from. Happy shopping.

Why do some people always recommend the cheapest piece of shit options?

I have the 5.11 Men's TDU pants, part #74003: Amazon.com: 5.11 #74003 Men's Ripstop TDU Pants: Sports & Outdoors

I purchased them about 7 years ago. I have competed in probably 50 USPSA, Action Pistol, Long Range Precision Rifle and 3Gun competitions. I wear them EVERY time I go shooting. That means I have probably worn these things over 200 times, through very difficult situations, rolling all over the place, hiking, sweating, etc. They have been flawless. They have a ton pockets, with pockets within pockets, elastic waistband, tie done cuffs, extra material around the crotch and knees, etc. They even came with internal knee pads.

The Old Navy Cargo pants are not ripstop nylon and would probably only last a season or two for me. I cannot understand how $57 (my cost on Amazon for my size and color) is too expensive.

No thanks to the people pushing Old Navy. That crap is going to cost you more in the long run. While the Old Navy's will require replacement every 2 years, I will have mine for over a decade at this rate.

Those old navy cargo pants held up just fine deployment after deployment in Iraq and Afghanistan. But no worries, you must be putting them through way more.

If you want something super lightweight/cool yet durable, check out Rail Riders VersaTac-light pants (their new Bushwhacker pants look great too if you don't love the cargo pant thing).