• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Tactical rifle as primary hunting rifle?

Re: Tactical rifle as primary hunting rifle?

002-1.jpg

This little rifle might be the best of both worlds...its a GAP non-typical .308 complete with a fixed 10X S&B PMII. Its only a shade over 8lbs with 4 rounds in the mag and a sling. I broke it in sunday with a one shot kill on a black bear at 580 meters. Its a little harder to hold steady but shoots very well when you get it anchored in.

FYI: Ive put over 300 rounds through it the past 3 weeks getting ready for this bear hunt. The shot was from a backpack, dead calm, no mirage...very makable shot for that set up.

Nice Rifle PGS.

How many shots can you get off before the barrel is glowing! I've a Rem M7 that heats up very quickly (3-4 shots) and takes a fair while to cool. It makes running load development a long session at the range. What are the downsides to shooting a hot barrel? At what point does it becoming harmful to the barrel?

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Facts are nice but perceptions are all that count" </div></div>

hehe the jackass can't even swing the perception part...

I carry the 5.7 because it holds 30 rounds, is accurate to 200 yards, and will kill anything running around my property. Its also lighter than my 9 mil holding half that much ammo. Kinda goes with the meaning of this thread. Why carry all the weight when you dont need to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
002-1.jpg

This little rifle might be the best of both worlds...its a GAP non-typical .308 complete with a fixed 10X S&B PMII. Its only a shade over 8lbs with 4 rounds in the mag and a sling. I broke it in sunday with a one shot kill on a black bear at 580 meters. Its a little harder to hold steady but shoots very well when you get it anchored in.

FYI: Ive put over 300 rounds through it the past 3 weeks getting ready for this bear hunt. The shot was from a backpack, dead calm, no mirage...very makable shot for that set up. </div></div>

Sweet.

Hows about the load details and performance on the Bear.

Just curious...after all most would think you need a cannon to kill a bear.

my smallest "tactical" rifle is a 700 VTR plain jane in tupperware w/ a leupold tactical.......it is a dream to carry and believe it or not with 175 VLD's is a sub MOA gun to 300 yds......plenty for whitetails in the SE while still being tacticool.......the integral brake and triangle barrel certainly don't hurt the "cool" part..

Weda' The load was:
155 Lapua Scenar
Lapua brass
Federal 210 match primer
45.5grs Varget
MV 2925 fps.

After watching the bear for at least 1/2 hour to make sure it was solitary it was ranged several times with both a Vector and a Vectronics PLRF 10. The range was absolute with these devices. The Vector does horizontal and vertical distances so we knew the correct come up regardless of the vertical distance to the bear. I had a JBM chart for 7000 feet above sea level. The chart called for a come up of 3.3 mils. The bullet entered the bears left side behind the shoulder,(broadside)exited the opposite side laeving a 1" hole. The bear never took a step...just rolled down the mountain about 20 meters.

If we could have we would have gotten in closer. This was the only shot we had. I would not have taken the shot if I wasnt positive I could make it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
002-1.jpg

FYI: Ive put over 300 rounds through it the past 3 weeks getting ready for this bear hunt. The shot was from a backpack, dead calm, no mirage...very makable shot for that set up. </div></div>

Sweet.

Hows about the load details and performance on the Bear.

Just curious...after all most would think you need a cannon to kill a bear. </div></div>

You don't need a cannon? I guess I don't need this then?

Gunpictures016.jpg

PGS,

that is good fps with your load of Varget! Can you tell me what barrel you are using and it's length?

Also can you tell me your COAL?

was the shot taken at approx 600 yards?

Cheers,
Rath

For the gentleman who suggested police snipers should use oridinary hunting rifles:

You may be correct is stating that in most cases a factory pencil barrel rifle would get the job done. The average police sniper engagement is 71 yards which should be an easy shot for a decent shooter with a decent rifle. However many police sniper shots are hostage situations. If I'm going to take a shot at any distance and I must make an instant incapacitation shot on a bad guy with a hostage very close to him, I want the best rifle that I can possibly get my hands on! I want a rifle that I know beyond the shadow of a doubt will shoot .5 MOA. Maj. Plaster stated in his book that a 1 MOA rifle is acceptable but I disagree when it comes to police sniping. When someone else's life is in my hands 1 MOA isn't good enough! That's why I lug around my 16 pound M40Al at work. I do not however use it for hunting because I don't want to haul it around on a 4 wheeler and pull it by a rope 30 feet up into a tree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weda' The load was:
155 Lapua Scenar
Lapua brass
Federal 210 match primer
45.5grs Varget
MV 2925 fps.

After watching the bear for at least 1/2 hour to make sure it was solitary it was ranged several times with both a Vector and a Vectronics PLRF 10. The range was absolute with these devices. The Vector does horizontal and vertical distances so we knew the correct come up regardless of the vertical distance to the bear. I had a JBM chart for 7000 feet above sea level. The chart called for a come up of 3.3 mils. The bullet entered the bears left side behind the shoulder,(broadside)exited the opposite side laeving a 1" hole. The bear never took a step...just rolled down the mountain about 20 meters.

If we could have we would have gotten in closer. This was the only shot we had. I would not have taken the shot if I wasnt positive I could make it.
</div></div>

Outstanding!

Rath,
The barrel is a Rock 1-11.25" 5R 24"
COAL: 2.810
580 meters = 634 yards

I actually do use it for hunting since I hunt in an area where long shots are possible. When I hunt my land I carry a lighter rifle or an AR in 6.8SPC because 150yds would be a long shot there.

I have a browning a-bolt in 243 topped off with a tasco 3x9 scope.

Its not heavy, it kill what I shoot, and I only load what the magwell will take. I don't carry 100 extra rounds like some people.

KSP446---The dumbass you speak of is Mr Humble (Pronounced- shit for brains) Don't try to talk any common since to that jackoff, I have seen dog shit that is smarter than that man pleaser.

My heaviest Hunter is my Win '94 Trapper carbine .44Mag. There's a Mossberg 20ga rifled bolt gun, and an 870 12ga which usually gets loaned out to my Son-In-Law. They wear Tasco/Simmons Dot scopes. My Midrange Hunter is an M70 .30-'06 with a very lightweight realtree camo B&C hunter stock; very old, so old I can't find anything quite like it in their catalogue, with a Tasco 6-24X42 MilDot scope.

I just inherited a half dozen rifles; 3 M700's and 3 M77's. All of them appear to date from the 1970-80's.

The M700's are a .222 BDL heavy, a .25-06 BDL heavy, and a 7mm Rem Mag Sporter. The M77's are a .30'-06 Sporter, a .280 Sporter, and a .280 Heavy. Simmons and Leupies, plus a Lyman All American and another which I can't recall.

All are undergoing R&R, and some are at the load development stage. The Deuce has significant potential, doing rather well in the load development department. At the first Carlos, it placed 40rd into a jagged 2" hole at 300yd. Yes; I know, the COF is 20rd, but the rules for the first Carlos were kinda vague, and I was just plain having too much fun to stop at 20.

Technically, I broke no rules, and my target was clearly superior, but they DQ'ed me anyway. The first one was basically 12 close friends, no trophies or anything, and it just wasn't any kind of big deal.

Apparently those days are gone forever.

Greg

I use all my "tacical rifles" in the "field". I farm, so there are a lot of fields to shoot in. I built up a light .270 for hunting, but I never use it. Heavy rifles and heavy scopes make 400 yard groundhog and 700 yard deer shots easier.

-dan

I use my LTR every time I hunt deer with a rifle. When I get tired of carrying it, I take the revolver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess no one has explained why any rifle that will shoot 1 MOA or less, that weighs
7-8 pounds all up is inadequate for the ethical hunter?
But if you want to lug a 14 pound rifle that's up to you. Try it here (10,000') after coming from the flatlands, without a month of aclimation, and we'll be medevacing you out.

circ.jpg

</div></div>

Oh for god's sake, here we go again.

Christ, I can only see that same picture so many times. Get your ass back in there and take another one
wink.gif

Whenever I complain about altitude, my friend who lives in Telluride says to me, "my basement is higher than we climbed today."
smile.gif