• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Rifle Weight? How heavy is your rig?

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Im running an SPS Tactical 20" in an HS 5R Stock with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 and its running around 12.5lbs. Im thinking about upgrading to an AI Chassis System which will add another 4-5lbs. Im worried about it being to heavy(As it is dual use Hunting, but mainly Target) and I just wanted to know what kind of long range rigs you guys are running and how much they weigh. Thanks

Re: Tactical Rifle Weight? How heavy is your rig?

Dunno, never thought to weigh it. It is decked out the way I functionally need it/want it, and it is obviously not too bad. Mine too is a 20" 700...so it's more than 10 and less than 15. If it was too heavy for me maybe I would be more anal about it. The AI chassis are too heavy in my opinion, and the benefits are not worth the added weight.

Being you have a heavy barrel rifle I assume it wont be used for long hikes when hunting so I wouldn't worry about the weight. 12.5lbs is just fine and a few more pounds wont be a big deal. Mine weighs in around 13

I have a 26" heavy barreled custom....

Its 20 lbs plus unloaded, and a chore to shoot off-hand, but as far as covering long distances with it...its 20 freakin lbs... Its not going to kill you.

My M40A5 weighs 16lbs unloaded...and the AICS is heavier than my McMillan. You can lug it around if you really want to, but I wouldn't.

16lbs for the AICS 260. But throw on another 17lbs for the TacOps bag and associated gear that goes with it. 33lbs total.

I don't have a scale... So i found all the listed weight for my rifle. Approx weight is probably a few ounces heavier than actual weight because it doesn't take any parts that have material machined away in consideration.

AICS 1.5 = 96.8 oz
20'' Bartlien MTU = 86 oz (26'' blank weighs 112 oz. approx 4.3 oz per inch.)
M2008 SA = 36 oz
Razor HD = 35.2 oz
Atlas V8 = 10.8 oz
10 rounds = 9.1 oz (175 gr .308)
AW mag = 5.6 oz
ARC M3 rings = 5 oz
AI Spigot = 4.7 oz

Total = 289.2 oz or 18.075 lbs.

18+ Lbs with bipod. Hard to get it lighter and still have it do everything I need it to do.

IMG_6145.jpg

18.7 Lbs. 1200+ to the silo and not too heavy when on overwatch.
wink.gif

IMG_2981-1.jpg

Thanks for the info fellas. For the guys using Accuracy International Stocks. Do you think it worth the upgrade from the HS Precision 5R?

7mm-08 - Just a hair under 13 lbs.

DSCF0706-2.jpg

Rem 700 SA Varmint 26" 7mm-08
McMillan HTG stock - Sniper Fill
Badger 20 MOA Alloy Base & Badger Low 0.823" Alloy Rings
US Optics SN-3 3.2-17x44mm T-Pal
Seekins Original DBM
Seekins SRS Rail
Atlas V-8 Bipod
KRG Bolt Lift

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the guys using Accuracy International Stocks. Do you think it worth the upgrade from the HS Precision 5R? </div></div>Yup: Because you don't have a cheek piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info fellas. For the guys using Accuracy International Stocks. Do you think it worth the upgrade from the HS Precision 5R? </div></div>the AI chassis are nice,got a little different feel to them and yes heavy.unless you need it to fold like a AI 2.0 for a pack or something i would get a manners thumb hole stock,they can be made to 3 pounds,only 3ounces heavier than your hs r5 stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the guys using Accuracy International Stocks. Do you think it worth the upgrade from the HS Precision 5R? </div></div>Yup: Because you don't have a cheek piece.</div></div>

I bought mine used...The previous own had installed and after market cheek piece...The AICS is still cooler though, LOL

Get behind one and see what your gut feeling is. They fit you or they don't. Just my two cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silentrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get behind one and see what your gut feeling is. They fit you or they don't. Just my two cents.</div></div>

I just wish I knew someone local who had one...

My rig is 15.8 lbs unloaded. It's a Rem 700P (308) down to a 20" with a surefire muzzle break, Mcmillan A4, Atlas bipod, and a 5.5-22x56 NXS. Might be on the heavier side for off hand shots, but the Tab Elite sling helps a lot for that. Most items I've hunted never knew what the weight of the rifle was that shot it.

You have to decide if the rifle is too heavy for you or not. Lugging a heavy rifle does suck, but I carry mine since I'm very comfortable shooting it.

Edit: Forgot to add the Tac Ops pack with a rear bag attached is also included in the weight, which adds quite a bit of weight.

My kitchen scale won't go high enough to weigh my TRG, but if I weigh myself on my bathroom scale then hold the TRG and weigh myself again this works out to about 15 pounds as pictured.

DSC_6724.jpg

Remington SA 700P 26" .308
Manners T4 Stock with Mini Chassis
Badger 30 MOA alloy rail and Nightforce ultralight Rings
Nightforce 5.5-22x56
Atlas v8
Badger bipod rail
tab sling

15.5lb

Its not that bad with the sling

Now compare that to a .338 Lapua

Bartlien 30in barrel with flutes 7lb
Badger M2008 Lapua Action 3lb 6oz
Badger FTE Brake 7oz
Badger Alloy 4.6oz
Badger M5 CIP 8.6oz
Badger Bipod Rail 3oz
Manners T5A 90%carbon fill 3lb 10oz
Atlas Bipod 10.8oz
Bedding 4oz
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 2lbs

18lbs 5oz

This is a little heavy but not that big off a deal with a biathlon sling

you got me wondering what mine weighs. I just got on the scales with it, one fat bloke with the rifle minus 1 fat bloke without the rifle comes to just on 13lbs.

DSCF0149.jpg

Specs are:
Howa action
22.5" medium/heavy barrel with a bit of taper in 6BR.
custom chassis to suit the Howa with a lot of lightening work.
4-16 Vortex PST
Steel 20 MOA rail and Leupold QRW rings

That weight is without the $29 chinese AI copy bipod that feels like it weighs as much as a small rifle.

About 10.5lbs all up with palma barrel, scope, sling, no bipod. About 9.7 lbs with a sporter barrel for hunting. I also have a tubegun which could be used for tactical matches and that one comes at about 13lbs with the shorter barrel.

I have a TRG 22 on the way, which i will also use for hunting. After I scope this with the S&B, I suspect this will be a solid 15lb rifle..

Jense-ABS-LoneWolf-1050x791.jpg

Just lightened up my rig by trading out the Horus Vision Falcon for a Leupold Mark 4 4-14x50mm.

28" Xtreme Precision Armaments Carbon Fiber wrapped Sendero contour barrel (XPA bought the patents from Mike D., former owner of ABS carbon fiber barrels-no longer in business-).

Xtreme Precision Armaments / Lone Wolf Rifle stocks model XT Tactical carbon fiber / kevlar rifle stock

Barnard SM repeater action.

Without the stock pack full of ammo and the bipod I am just at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt">10 pounds</span></span></span>. I'll get a rock solid weight measurement in the next few days.

Mine is at 13,9 without bipod and I think that is on the top for off hand shooting.
My TRG42 is very much heavyer and cannot by me shoot off hand, not at least good aimed fire.
While this TRG-T3 in 6,5.
I have worked pretty hard on the folder to take the weight down, and I have lost one lbs by changing out steel parts to alu.

Regards Håkan

197259_10150209159419408_680984407_9138620_8290882_n.jpg

229671_10150285669444408_680984407_9609813_1264269_n.jpg

226770_10150304957019408_680984407_9760423_1236065_n.jpg

Around 15 lbs.

GAP Templar
Bartlein MTU 25"
McMillan HTG
Nightforce 8X32 NXS

Photo0017.jpg

15.8 lbs with stock pack and sling, unloaded.

#7 countour 20" bbl in McCree stock. You don't want to go joggin with it on your back, but it's not terrible moving from point a to point b.

16 ibs unloaded.
Manners t4 with mini chassis and heavy fill
#17 krieger
SPDSNYPR said it the best. "You don't want to go joggin with it on your back, but it's not terrible moving from point a to point b."

This 223AI without bipod and suppressor is 17.5lbs, Still waiting on my form 4 to clear but when it does it will go just over 19 lbs.

SS1.jpg

there is another "what does your rifle weigh" thread too a guy started to get an idea of rules for a comp he was starting. 13-15 pounds seems "light"

My rig is 18.4lbs as pictured.

Tooley Custom Orion Action (rem 700 footprint) w/20in Hart Barrel
AX AICS Stock
Premiere Heritage 3-15x50
6" Harris notched bipod w/pod claw mod
.30cal Suppressor

I just swapped out my Badger M40A3 rings (steel) to a set of Talley rings (aluminum). That said, the weight might have dropped by about 1/2 a lb. Those badger rings are heavy!

I tote the rifle around in a Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack. The weight of the rifle is negligible when humping it around in the pack.

IMG_1843.jpg

All my rifles are 16.5-18.5 pounds. No problem getting around with them.

Custom Savage short action based 26" bull, I'm at 16.5 pounds loaded. I've never really understood the need for an ultra light rifle, and thus limiting what you want based on weight. We're all at least semi-adults here, are we not? Is carrying 20 pounds a few miles on a hunt worth bitching about, really?

My AE with scope, magazine, bipod, rings, sling, and rear bag weighs in somewhere around 18-19 pounds. Weight isn't that much of an issue unless you plan on hiking long distances with a slung rifle. It feels comfortably heavy and stable, although it's going to tire me faster in an unsupported position than a lighter rifle would.

My long range 308 with a 26 inch heavy barrel loaded (5 round AICS) is 19.5 lbs. Has a USO SN3 on it, HS PST025 stock. Its a big pig but its a tack driver. If I gotta pack it a ways on my bum leg I grab the 20 inch ... 12 pounds.

AI AX 338LM
S&B 5x25-56
Spuhr mount
Atlas V-8
TBAC-338 BA
22lbs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're all at least semi-adults here, are we not? Is carrying 20 pounds a few miles on a hunt worth bitching about, really?</div></div>

It is if you're going up and down mountains. Also shooting offhand; I find that anything over 9-10 lbs is very uncomfortable for me to accurately shoot offhand. Maybe I need to bulk up, but that's just my experience.

I'm not claiming to be the most fit guy around, but when I do shoot, I prefer not to be lugging around 15-20 pound rigs. To me, there are hunting rifles, and bench rifles, I don't usually blur the line between the 2. If I was shooting bench, then I'd be all over a 26'' heavy barrel with an AICS stock. Not so much for the field though.

My hunting rifle is about 8.5 pounds loaded all things considered.

Tikka T3 in .308 with a Bell and Carlson sporter stock. (6.5lbs)
Harris Bipod (about 13oz)
SWFA SS 3-9x42 (1 lb 3 oz)

Accurate, and still light enough to carry long-distances and easily shoot offhand. Still looking for a lighter scope though, almost bought a 12oz one the other day, forget what magnification though.

My SPS Tac .308 win is running at 12.5.

My Sendero SF II 300 win mag comes in at 14

Aron-

8.5 lbs
10.25 lbs
12.5 lbs
14.75 lbs
16.25 lbs
18.5 lbs
22.0 lbs

Different tools for different jobs...

Our SRS 338LM rifles with 26" barrels weigh 15.5 lbs all kitted up with S&B 5-25, bipod, sling, and silencer adds another pound. is all.
smile.gif

Savage FCP-K .308
Heavy fluted barrel with muzzle break.
Badger 20 moa base.
Badger .0885 rings.
Vortex Viper PST ffp mil/mil 6-24x50
Caldwell 6-9 pivoting bi-pod.

= 15.5 pounds, unloaded.

16lbs fully loaded and ready to go in an AICS 1.5 with bipod, Accushot monopod and biathlon sling. Steel pick rail and rings and loaded 10 round mag.

by the time i get 3 flashlight, 4 lasers, 2 forward grips, a uber tactical titanium bipod and a bayonet with my 5-100x nightvision/thermal, video recording scope on it my 308 weighs about 60 pounds.

Remington 5R Milspec
Warne 20moa base
TPS TSR Aluminum rings
Karsten adjustable cheek rest
Custom made Graco adjustable LOP buttplate
Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 with 3in sunshade
Harris 6-9" bipod
TIS quick cuff sling

13lbs

2011-07-21_12-35-36_913.jpg