• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Rifle Weight? How heavy is your rig?

Re: Tactical Rifle Weight? How heavy is your rig?

22" .308 Krieger MTU fluted
Manners T5A
Surgeon 591
Badger M4 steel floorplate
Timney 510 trigger
Badger 30mm steel rings
Atlas V8 bipod
Leupold 8.5-25 ER/T
Weighs in at 15.5lbs unloaded

24" Bartlein 308 tight 11.25 twist
Stiller predator action
Jewell trigger
Mark 4 rings
Stiller 20 moa base
Leupold mark 4
Manners t5 jet black with mini chassis 90% carbon
Built by Stiller Precision
Total weight 11.8 pounds

DSC_2423.jpg

DSC_2424.jpg

My 338 weighs about 23 lbs, when I get a suppressor, 25ish.

That's mostly thanks to a 32" truck axle for a barrel.

17.1 lbs. Rifle is 300 Win Mag. with McMillan A-5 stock, Krieger #9 MTU fluted barrel 28" long, Elite Iron muzzel brake, trued Remmington reciever, Jewell trigger, Badger Ordance Bottom metal, AI 5 round magazine, Premier Reticles 5-25X56mm scope, Badger Ordance scope rings, McCanns Industries +20 moa Picatinny scope mount, Harris BRS model bi-pod.

Barrel weighs just a tad over 5-1/2 lbs. alone.

Rifle was weighed with empty AI magazine.

R700 action
24" Rock Creek #7
Badger M4 Bottom metal
Badger Rings and 30MOA base
McM A5 stock (don't know the fill, weighs about 4 lbs)
Nightforce 8-32 BR
Harris 6-9 swivel bipod

Weighs in at just over 16lbs empty. That #7 contour barrel is like a truck axle out there, and all the Badger steel doesn't make it svelte either.

just over 16 ounces, made completely out of paper mache

M24.jpg

Finally got my AICS stock in and mounted her up...Right at 14.4 lbs unloaded. Its heavy, but not as bad as I thought it would be...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Jense-ABS-LoneWolf-1050x791.jpg

Just lightened up my rig by trading out the Horus Vision Falcon for a Leupold Mark 4 4-14x50mm.

28" Xtreme Precision Armaments Carbon Fiber wrapped Sendero contour barrel (XPA bought the patents from Mike D., former owner of ABS carbon fiber barrels-no longer in business-).

Xtreme Precision Armaments / Lone Wolf Rifle stocks model XT Tactical carbon fiber / kevlar rifle stock

Barnard SM repeater action.

Without the stock pack full of ammo and the bipod I am just at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt">10 pounds</span></span></span>. I'll get a rock solid weight measurement in the next few days. </div></div>

Ranger1183,

How do you like the carbon wrapped barrel? I am thinking of putting together a rifle for offhand shooting/practice with a long CF barrel. I would suspect that it must help with both instinctive and offhand shooting.

-Steve

Twisted,

I have one of those and I LOVE it!!! Shoot it off my deck all the time. Pretty damned accurate!!!

(You'll put your eye out!!!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Twisted,

I have one of those and I LOVE it!!! Shoot it off my deck all the time. Pretty damned accurate!!!

(You'll put your eye out!!!) </div></div>
mine holds stray dog MOA out to about 30yards !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.2# with Tassle /no optics needed !

Daisy-Red-Ryder-70th-Anniversary_DY-991938783_rifle_zm1.jpg
</div></div>

Someone should go into comedy...Just not you, LOL...

TOO HEAVY

IMG_0763.jpg

18.3 lbs before bager drop mag and 10 and and ammo and the can, im thinking after all 20 lbs

feeking rock

little recoil though

+1 i'm with him, love my ai but manners will probably be my on my next rifle

As pictured with an empty mag she comes in at about 12lbs. Before when she had the B&C Medalist on her she was up around 14. I put my girls on a diet when it's required :-D

Stevens.jpg

What barrel profile you running in that AICS rommel?

Right at 20lbs loaded with the suppressor
3.jpg

1.jpg

My stock Rem700 5r in 300WM with Weaver 20moa base, Burris XTR low rings, and a Bushnell Elite 4200 tactical 6-24X50 shows 11.5 pounds on my old postal scale. Kinda seems light compared to some of the numbers I'm seeing here.

what chassis is that
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right at 20lbs loaded with the suppressor
3.jpg

1.jpg
</div></div>

The scope is an MST-100 from USO. When I ordered the scope I asked Becky to add the sun shade and the Anti reflection device. They all fit together and work great. If you contact USO or look at the accessories for the MST-100 you will find them. Hope this helps.

Lafayette, The barrel contour on my AICS: Obermeyer AMU Plus barrel, 1.25 for 3 inches then a contour of 0.007 per inch.The barrel length is 22 inches from the recoil lug. The diameter at he muzzle is 1.120". This is the contour for Boots AMU Plus barrels. This barrel also can be had fluted.

what are the two bags on the sling mount?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">XLR Evolution

There's a thread about them here </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are the two bags on the sling mount?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">XLR Evolution

There's a thread about them here </div></div> </div></div>

Those are my rifle's nuts, also known as TAC Ready Tacticals: LINK

I have the same scope but i still call it a Unertl
smile.gif
. I just checked USO's site $40, a bit steep but i guess there is no other choice.

Thanks

No problem. When you spend that much money for optics whats an extra $40.00 and you only need to buy it once. The ARD is nice too.

Your right. I tried jerry rigging shades from other scopes to no avail. I will admit i am a cheap bastard.

Nothing wrong with being frugal. You just want to make sure your money is well spent. I too have played with altering things to see if I could make something to work but in the end I spent the money.

My old issue M107 weighed about a million pounds (35 lbs actually loaded with 8 rds). I hauled that thing a lot more places than I should have.
IMG_1015.jpg

I think a good .30 caliber rifle should weigh no less than 11 lbs and no more than 18 for tactical applications. Eighteen is pushing it it. I hate the super light hunting rifles they come out with. If you can't carry an 11 lbs rifle then you need to hit the gym.

Not 100% tactical...
my hunting / target 308 sako with LW barrel fitted by Roedale.
PSE Carbon stock 25 oz, total weight 9.7lbs 10.1lbs with suppressor.
Shot seven sika stags in the last 4 weeks with it, range 20yds to 375yds.
edi
DSCN5724.jpg

HTG sniper fill
Stiller Predator LA
Rock Creek/ABS Carbon wrapped 29", Rem varmint contour (.264)
Rem BDL factory
Zeiss 6-24x56 (1.8 lbs)
Stiller Base
Badger Rings

Weighs 11.2 lbs loaded with stock pack (without Bi-pod). Since I use this rig for hunting, I wouldn't want to go any heavier.

DSCF0002.jpg

My rifle weighs 14.3 lbs:
Blue-printed Rem. 700 action
Stock Rem. trigger reworked to 2.5 lbs by smith
Bartlein 25" AMU profile 5R barrel in .308
McMillan A5 stock
Badger Ord. bottom metal/scope base/rings/bolt knob
Harris 9-13 bipod

dsc0830.jpg

dsc0300zd.jpg

dsc1089.jpg

I find that a lot of weight is tied up in high-end scopes. They're HEAVY.

Not sure but its my heaviest rifle to date, 700 SPSS, 26" tube, TPS rings & bases, 6-24 Signature, HS PSV096 stock, must be around 12lbs.
H-Sstock.jpg

2011-10-04-61140.jpg

Most of mine weigh in between 13lbs-16lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">by the time i get 3 flashlight, 4 lasers, 2 forward grips, a uber tactical titanium bipod and a bayonet with my 5-100x nightvision/thermal, video recording scope on it my 308 weighs about 60 pounds. </div></div>

3 flashlights, or 2 flashlights and a fleshlight?