• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tactical Rimfire Match - Scope Choice

Blazin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2008
Maryland
My local club is planning on hosting Tactical Rimfire matches on its 100 yard rifle range. The match will be modeled after the southern California Tactical Rimfire matches Rimfire Tactical Precision Match , but ours will include mil-dot exercises.

I have a suitable gun (JP 22 upper that is stupid accurate) and scope mount, but my optics are severely lacking. Obviously I need mil-dots. Variable power seems to be a necessity due to the dynamic course of fire, and I think a 1” tube is fine, but a 30mm tube would be fine.

My budget is lacking too; I was hoping on keeping the scope around $350, but I’m willing to go a little higher to get decent glass. I’ve been burned buying used scopes, so I was planning on buying a new one. I think a quality FFP scope is out of reach given my budget.

I’ve looked at Primary Arms (read lotsa poor reviews), the Falcon Menace (poor reviews as well), Bushnell Elite (over my budget, but maybe it’s worth it), Nikon, Vortex and Leupold. My finalists, in my current order of preference, are below. For the offhand stages I feel something down around 3x or below will be beneficial.

1. Leupold $349: Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope
2. Nikon $359: Nikon 3.5-14x40 ProStaff 5 Riflescope
3. Bushnell $469: Bushnell 5-15x40 Elite Tactical Rifle Scope
4. Vortex $430: Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope

Am I on the right track? Is there a better option?

I know a lot of the guys in this thread -->HEREl <-- use Millett, Mueller, and BSAs on their rimfires. I'd start looking there for options/inspiration.

I shoot in the same type of match once a month, and If it does not focus down to 25 yards dont get it....

I used the SWFA SS 16x for a year, it worked very well, I now use the SWFA 3-15 and wouldn't change a thing!

Appreciate all the help. I have a side focus SWFA SS 10x coming in from their killer Black Friday sale. This scope was intended for my Grendel build, but it'll be 3 months until I have the barrel anyway, so maybe I'll mount that scope on the 22 and play with it.

I shoot .22 more than anything. 10X Bushnells are pretty awesome. I use hold overs only. Zero on very top mil dot. 200 bucks. Super Sniper quality is a little better, but in low light Bushnell is better.

My .17 HMR wears a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with a target dot reticle. You can stack shots on top of one another at 100 yards with ease. It's clear enough to easily see .17 holes at 200 yards. I can't tell you about short range, I don't really bother with less than 100 yards.

I think I picked mine up for around $350 used. I don't remember exactly. I'm 100% satisfied with mine.