• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Take off and clean every trip from the range?

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
do you all remove your suppressors and clean the thread or the muzzle break every time you leave a range?

Nope... do a quick visual personally before putting can on. When it does need a cleaning (which is not often) just a wire brush on the muzzle device.

Yep. I am most lax regarding my .22 hosts/cans, and even those have the can removed and a bore snake (Otis Ripcord, really) pulled through a couple of times to get the loose crap out of the bore. Before putting the cans back on, the crown and threads are checked and wiped off with a dry cloth.

My centerfire guns are cleaned every time they're shot, to include the muzzle brakes/mounts. Centerfire pistol cans at least have the rear cap removed and the booster assembly cleaned/lubed every range trip.

I'm sitting here on the porch at my farm, looking at my 556 11.5" sbr and bolt action 22 that haven't had their cans pulled of off (much less cleaned) in more than a year. I'm not suggesting that anyone else do this but they still shoot as well as ever and function properly. I'm a doing it wrong, possibly but I'd rather do almost anything other than clean guns or suppressors.

Nope. Unless its too hot at the time I leave the can probably stays right on the gun. My 308 can moves around a bit so I'll check the seating surface on the brake and suppressor but I don't think I've taken the 22 can off my savage in a few hundred rounds. Hell even my 9mm can has stayed on my 1911 for quite a while now.

I also don't clean the bore of most guns very often. Check for leading if I'm shooting cast and go on with my day.

I've got around 500 rnds on my Ultra 9 CB and have had no need to do anything but shoot it on two different rifles so far.

Make sure they are on tight, that's about it. One suppressor has over 1000 on it the other has 2500. Both center fire and never cleaned, I've seen not single issue doing it this way.

Call me an ass hole but I feel like some people spend more time cleaning than shooting.

Call me an ass hole but I feel like some people spend more time cleaning than shooting.
That's my position and I shoot more than anyone I know locally. I do live in a semi-arrid climate, so when it come to guns I don't have too worry much. Back on the coast of Maine where I'm from , I cleaned a lot more. As for my can I weighed it new and continue weighing it. If it gains a couple ounces I'll clean it then.Otherwise I won't be bothered.

That's my position as well; I'll clean after it gains too much weight.
Even I'm humid climates I feel it is still a low maintenance piece of equipment. Most cans are made from stainless or titanium with the mounts mostly being stainless. These materials are not prone to corrosion. The only thing that would cause concern would be direct thread suppressors as 400 series stainless steel barrels can rust, but just a touch of anti seize takes care of that.

Nope. I clean the crown off maybe once a year or as needed which isn't very often. I have found that putting a little Fireclean on the crown and threads helps later on down the road when the crown has carbon backed up. A few minutes with a brush and it's as good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk