• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taking a new rifle to a match

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I ordered a tikka last night and have a match on the 29th of this month... I know barrels speed up a little as they break in over the first 100 rounds or so, how safe would it be to get a 10 round zero/velocity data and run a brand new barrel at a 400-1000 yard match? Would I have issues with my velocities creeping up through out stages, causing me to miss?

It is unlikely that your barrel would speed up enough during a match to cause a miss. I have a relatively new Tikka and with about 600 rounds through it, I'm just starting to notice velocity increase. I'm also not seeing much difference on target with the faster barrel.

good luck to you in your match and I hope you have a great time . Bring back tons of pick and details what you got out of it , how you did , other peoples gear you saw what you liked , what you did not like you know the usual tons of details and illustrated pics lol.

Get 100-150 through it before the match and then chrono and you'll be good to go

Or order 400 rounds of berger factory ammo. Shoot 200 before the match. Then you have 2 matches worth of ammo left and 400 lapua brass to reload(or sell if you don't reload)

i shot a match on a fresh (20 rounds) barrel with hornady 140eldm factory ammo. literally zeroed and sent 5 at 600 on NRA targets. plugged in 2710 fps based on box and 600y dope in the first 20 rounds. ended up taking 4th but had some issues.

chrono'd the same ammo after the match. 2830 fps.

i shot a match on a fresh (20 rounds) barrel with hornady 140eldm factory ammo. literally zeroed and sent 5 at 600 on NRA targets. plugged in 2710 fps based on box and 600y dope in the first 20 rounds. ended up taking 4th but had some issues.

chrono'd the same ammo after the match. 2830 fps.
    You went up 120fps over one match worth of ammo? How many rounds fired? Wouldn’t imagine much more than 60

You went up 120fps over one match worth of ammo? How many rounds fired? Wouldn’t imagine much more than 60
    about 80 rounds in the match. didn't have chrono data before just 600y dope

to be fair the 140ELDM are jammed HARD compared to 140 hybrids at the same COAL