• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taking a Poll on Bore Cleaning

backyardsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
pottsville, ky
How often do you clean/consider it necesary to clean the bore on your precision rifle. What products do you use. I use gunslick foaming bore cleaner, no brush just foam them a few patches. Do you use an oiled patch after you're done or just leave it dry. Just looking to get some opinions here I clean my 308 about every 150-200 rds and my TRG42 338 about every 100 but I'm considering stretching it out to closer to 200. I am not seeing any degradation of accuracy at 100 and it takes me 10 or so rounds to get the gun back to shooting as tight as it was before I cleaned it.

Re: Taking a Poll on Bore Cleaning

Leve it fouled till the accuracy begins to suffer.

I clean about every to or three outings. My barrel shoots the same regardless of it being fouled or not.

I use a quality copper remover like Sweet's 7.62 and clean it till I see no blue coloring on the patch. I'll use a brush at time but not that much. if I am going to store the gun for a bit of time I'll dry the bore and lightly oil a patch and run the bore, then run several dry patches down the bore. If I am going to be back out at the range, I will just dry the bore after the copper remover then just dry it out.

Agreed as above but (not to sidetrack) I prefer to use Wipe Out for the process. Most barrel makers will tell you they've seen many barrels damaged from conventional cleaning methods-rod and jag and brush wear, so I try to minimize that by using Wipe Out. It does an amazing job plus it is not necessary to wipe w oil afterward unless you are going to store long term. My 2.

Guess I'll be the odd man out. I clean mine religiously after every shooting session. I can't risk the possibility that the shot where the accuracy decides to "fall off" might be the shot I fire on my next call-out.

HRF

I clean mine usually every time or every two times if I get lazy. There's a difference between when it "needs" to be cleaned and when it "should" be cleaned.

I have been using Bore Tech Eliminator on a new stainless barrel for a couple thousand rounds on advise from my 'smith and so far it's been great and I have only been using a nylon brush with it. It doesn't smell like your breathing Chernobyl fumes which really seem to get to me in my old age and accuracy is still good as new and it works fairly fast too just a few wet patches and brush 10 strokes then let it sit for 5 minutes and dry patch out and they come out clean.
Won't be going back to ammonia cleaners any time soon.

+ 1 for the Boretech Eliminator. I have used it for 2000 + rnds in my R700 ,308 with no negative results. I clean every 250 rnds. Thru experimentation I've learned that accuracy drops off (with this rifle) between 275-300 rnds shooting my own loads. to HRF, if you know when this happens, you can clean as necessary w/o worrying about the next call-out.
Mike

I'm old school. I use Boretech and will clean after every outing. Although there have been times that I shot successive days and didn't clean in detail. No degradation in accuracy. Last thing before putting the gun away is an oil swab. I run a dry patch before shooting.

I clean after every outing. I use Boretech and find it easy to get the carbon out if I clean it right away. I don't want to end up with a carbon ring that will take abrasive cleaning to remove. Been working great so far.

I think waiting for "accuracy to drop off" is a relative term and means different things to different shooters. My rifles wouldn't meet my accuracy requirements if I didn't clean them for hundreds of rounds.

Duty weapon gets cleaned after every outing. Policy dictates that. Personal weapons get cleaned every every 150-200 rounds. Montana extreme and patches. Brush touches the barrel about every other cleaning. I don't like to use the brush but it brings stuff out that solvent won't cut loose.

I made the mistake of cleaning my 700 just for the hell of it two weeks ago. I would guess it had been 400-500 rounds since the last cleaning. Right before I cleaned it my wife droped her best half inch group and It took 60 rounds over two sessions to get it back to where it was. Not sure WTF I was thinking.

It may never get cleaned again.

I remove carbon every time as I live in a humid climate an even stainless rusts...but rarely clean copper.

Do what works best for <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> rifle.

Just like there's no magic load, there's no right/wrong answer here.

Some guns shoot better fouled.

If you hunt, you need to be sure your first, cold bore shot is similar to the next two...and determine if that's best from a fouled, or clean barrel.

And, FWIW, I use Wipe-Out and patches (no brush) as well.

Iosso bore cleaner, I only clean mine every 500 to 750 rounds. I run a bore snake through mine with a little iosso gun oil in between cleanings, I never clean it all the way to the metal. I feel cleaning too much will destroy your barrel faster then not cleaning.

I have used the same cleaning method for many rifles, both factory Remington & Savage, and high end factory like the 40XB, TRG, & AIAW and full custom in many different calibers with many different brand of barrels all with the same results. I have a slight break in procedure that is determined by the amount of copper fouling seen in the bore, rounds fired during breakin varies from barrel to barrel but not by many rounds (its supprising how similar they all have been, except for the base factory rifles and thats a crap shoot). I clean after every outing (most of the time) but do not clean to squeeky clean. I have used Boretech Eleminator and TM Solution with good results & currently I am using Butches Bore Shine. I think the BBS requires the least mechanical action (brushing). I always clean and dry the chamber as well. After cleaning the bore I dry it and follow up with a light coat of Butches Gun Oil, I patch this out before shooting. My accuracy from first rounds down range to last in a shooting session is the same. I have not seen a degredation in accuracy from cleaning over thousands of rounds in a particular barrel.

I just got my Elite Iron build AR-10 Super Sass broken in. It's running a Broughton 5C 20" barrel. I spoke with Tim North at Broughton and he sent me the procedure he uses on his rifles.

A couple of patches with a high temp lube (Slip 200 or Montana Extreme bore conditioner, then a dry patch through the bore. Make sure chamber is dry as well with no build up of fluid creating a possible over pressure situation.

Shoot the gun.

2-4 wet patches with Copper Killer or similar product and let sit 5 min. Push another patch and inspect for fouling. If fouling is present, repeat above until fouling is completely removed.

Dry the bore with 5 or more patches....use alcohol to help remove any cleaners left in bore. Lubricate bore then follow with a dry patch...synthetic high temp oil is best.

Shoot the gun.

Repeat this procedure until fouling is minimal...6-20 repetitions of 1 shoot and clean, then 2 shots. Clean as directed above. If no increase in fouling is observed, start shooting 2-3 shot groups and clean as directed previously.

My AR-10 broke in FAST! Ran 5 shot groups after the initial process (10-12 of shoot then clean), hit it with the Copper Killer and no signs of copper fouling. I use a bore guide, nylon brushes (with aluminum bases) and aluminum jags so I don't get a false positive with the Copper Killer.

I was running Fed Gold Match 168's, which grouped well (about .75" @ 100), then switched to 175's. First 3 shots in the same hole! Dialed up the scope to about 425 yds and was hitting 8"-10" gongs. Someone had set up a bunch of clay birds on the bluff (which is our back stop), adjusted the scope and I was busting them with ease at about 440 yds.

Everyone has their own procedure for barrel brake in (or not). Take it with a grain of salt and choose what you feel is best for you. Barrel mfr is going to make a BIG difference on how fast and well the barrel will brake in. High quality barrels (Broughton, Bartlein, Rock, etc, etc will break in much much faster than OEM factory barrels.

Good luck!
Steve

Clean out the carbon after load development or a match (MPro-7).... haven't used a copper remover in 500+ rnds as accuracy has been spot on. And any time before a match, I go and run 10-20 rounds thru it and take it out to the match fouled.

You're supposed to clean the bore???

Seriously... I pull a bore snake thru the barrel once at the beginning of a day of shooting to pull out the dust and once at the end of the day to pull out the excess carbon. Once in a while I'll soak the front end of the bore snake in Hoppes #9. Bought a shiney new Dewey cleaning rod a couple years ago and have yet to use it... But mostly because I don't have a bore guide and no one around here carries them!

Clean mine every 300-400 rounds when accuracy starts to drop off and drop meens going from 1-holer at 100 to 3/4 moa. Even at 400 odd rounds mine shot great.

If it's a factory tube I might clean it a little more becuase in some cases there seems to be more inconsistency's with factory barrels then custom barrels.

I clean after every outing, I use Butch's Bore Shine, (3 patches), then a few strokes with a brass brush, and wash it down with a patch of kroil, then 2 clean dry patches.

I clean after every outing except 22lr (every 200-400 rounds)

2 pulls bore snake with a little hoppes
2 pulls bore snake with cr-10
2 pulls bore snake with a couples sprays of rem oil after brass brush (all other treatments before brush)

I notice accuracy degrade after about 70 rounds.

I use a boresnake before shooting to clean out any carbon from the prior session. About every 500 rounds I'll sit down and run a couple Hoppe's no9 soaked patches down and then run a dry patch then an oil patch and let it store like that. I'll dry patch it out before I shoot it again. I also use Tilton T-shaped swab to clean out the chamber/lug seating area.

I've talked to benchrest people who say they can notice a drop in precision after 10-12 rounds but I guess I'm doing enough things wrong behind the trigger that I don't notice a drop off in accuracy until I get 400-500 down the tube.

I'm a boretech eliminator kind of guy with a nylon brush and dewey rod only when the rifle needs it.

I followed the barrel break-in procedures on my GAP non-typical and then started shootign her. At about 150 rounds she started to really come together and shoot ragged holes consistently.

I have not cleaned her since round 20 and will not do so until she starts to open up. Like so many others have indicated, I think people do more harm by cleaning their rifles then they do by shooting them. So shoot the damn things already and move on. I'd rather shoot a barrel out and replace it, then spend half my range sesion with my boreguide, rod, brushes, etc cleaning the damn thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abbott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer to use Wipe Out for the process. Most barrel makers will tell you they've seen many barrels damaged from conventional cleaning methods-rod and jag and brush wear, so I try to minimize that by using Wipe Out. It does an amazing job plus it is not necessary to wipe w oil afterward unless you are going to store long term. My 2.</div></div>

Agree, I use Wipe Out and almost never use a brush. I trust the barrel makers when they write articles about seeing barrels damage by conventional brush cleaning.

My "old school" is not to clean unless it starts to shoot bad. Knew a couple of vets in Cinti. that used to shoot for the army, they didn't clean either. Works so far. I don't cut grass either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: backyardsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How often do you clean/consider it necesary to clean the bore on your precision rifle</div></div>

When accuracy falls off or every trip if in sandy, dusty conditions.

I use nylon brushes from Brownells, Tipton and Dewey rods, a boreguide, and Brownells jags. I use Boretech for carbon and Sweets for copper, though I rarely clean out the copper. Sometimes I'll go as far as to use JBs.

For years I cleaned mine with Butch's bore shine and extensive bronze brushing. I would run the BBS soaked patches then brush like crazy for 10-15 passes and repeat until it was back to bare metal, then run a patch of Eez Ox to neutralize the Butch's then a few dry patches. I would clean after 15-25 rounds. These were all factory Rem, Ruger, Thomson Center barrels. Some guns liked it and shot really well and some didn't. I hated doing it to all of them. What a pain in the ass it was.

I now have a Rem700 with a factory barrel and a POF308 with Rock barrel. They both have yet to see a bronze brush and I will be trying the "don't clean it until you need to method" to see how it goes. So far all I have done, if I will go a while between shooting, was use Hoppe's #9 on patches a few times, then a few dry patches, then one oiled patch and dry before shooting.

I have been keeping round counts and everything has been fine so far. It sure is more enjoyable to spend more time shooting than cleaning.

So far I have only done the Hoppe's #9 patch procedure to the Rem700 once.

I would like to know the best product for removing JUST the carbon and not use #9 on either of my newer rifles. I have read that some people like MPro-7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're supposed to clean the bore???

Seriously... I pull a bore snake thru the barrel once at the beginning of a day of shooting to pull out the dust and once at the end of the day to pull out the excess carbon. </div></div>

You don't just blow it out with the first round???!?

I shot this group Saturday morning. The barrel has about 950 rounds down it now and has been cleaned twice....400 rounds since the last cleaning.

SMemo_01.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ritten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot this group Saturday morning. The barrel has about 950 rounds down it now and has been cleaned twice....400 rounds since the last cleaning.

SMemo_01.jpg
</div></div>

Hard to argue with those results. Nice shooting Ritten!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ritten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot this group Saturday morning. The barrel has about 950 rounds down it now and has been cleaned twice....400 rounds since the last cleaning.

SMemo_01.jpg
</div></div>

Awesome! What barrel?

SMemo_01.jpg
</div></div>

If you dont mind what are your barrel specs as far as brand, twist, and rifling? Thanks

SMemo_01.jpg
</div></div>

I dont see this being a stock barrel. My match barrel does not need cleaning much at all. The cleaning comes in when you shoot a stock barrel that has not been hand lapped to perfection. The bullets as they pass through take away the imperfections and fill in them in with copper which has to be cleaned out.

My barrel have no copper in them even after 400 rounds now because I would clean my barrels the minute I would see that there is to much copper.

Aron-

+1 on the "old school" approach...just habit I suppose (..and having been drilled in my early shooting years by blokes who had gone through WW2, Korea, Malaya etc.
wink.gif
) and I just don't feel comfortable leaving the rifles standing dirty too long, even if wiped and oiled.

The only concession I've really made is to switch to Wipe Out and only occasionally run a nylon brush after a heavy trip to the range.

The phosphor bronze brushes are a thing of the past for me.

i clean with sweets 7.62 after every outing till the blue is gone.

my dad on the other hand, hadn't cleaned his ruger MKII in over 20 years. actually it had never been cleaned. no accuracy change after i got a hold of it, but the trigger and action feel much better.

New to precision rifles, but brainwashed about cleaning after every use many decades ago...

So you guys that clean every 175 to 400 rounds and beyond:
1. Go to safe
2. Get rifle
3. Shoot rifle
4. Put back in safe
5. Repeat this cycle until you get to X hundred rounds without touching any cleaning supplies/equipment whatsoever.

I just want to make absolutely sure I understand correctly. (no hidden meaning between the lines)

Thanks.

I use sweats and clean aftr 2-3 outings. Wat do u guys think about breakin process. Some say must do it. Others say hoax. Wat do yall think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nomad0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to precision rifles, but brainwashed about cleaning after every use many decades ago...

So you guys that clean every 175 to 400 rounds and beyond:
1. Go to safe
2. Get rifle
3. Shoot rifle
4. Put back in safe
5. Repeat this cycle until you get to X hundred rounds without touching any cleaning supplies/equipment whatsoever.

I just want to make absolutely sure I understand correctly. (no hidden meaning between the lines)

Thanks.
</div></div>

Exactly, I don't even wipe it down. It was coated with CeraKote that protects the metal. Only time I ever worry about oiling is if I was shooting in the rain. Otherwise out the safe, shoot, back in the safe. I didn't do any kind of break in. I only passed a patch before the first shot to make sure nothing was in the bore from the machining process. When I do clean it's with Boretech Elimator, a one piece Tipton rod, Iosso Nylon brush, patches and a Mike Lucas bore guide.

Thank You. For a short while, I was afraid nobody was going to answer.

The whole approach of only cleaning when absolutely necessary makes sense, and seems to stand up well to scrutiny.

Looks like shooting is going to be more fun this time (used to spent massive amounts of time cleaning guns in my early years).

MD

I used to be a fanatic on cleaning. Now I just pull a bore snake through 1X. I do clean the bolt and face but that's it.