• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Taking the plunge!

CanadaGoose

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2010
So I did a little calculation and realized that I'd be paying about $0.50 per round if I reloaded as opposed to the $1.50 or so I pay now when you figure in shipping. I assumed 5 reloads per cartridge, but from what I hear, it can be more, which would drive the cost down even further. And once I get good at it, the ammo will be more accurate than the BHG match I shoot now.

My conclusion? Time to start reloading! Based on the excellent Reloading 101 post in here, I decided to start by buying and reading some manuals. But I have no idea which ones! I will probably buy the Sierra book because I will most likely be using their bullets, but should I buy another as well?

Doc's post suggests buying one book that's more of a load "recipe book" and another that's more of how-to guide for the reloading process. Will the Sierra book accomplish both? If not, which one should I get? I looked on Amazon and found The ABCs of Reloading Is this a good one? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Re: Taking the plunge!

Reloading is a disease you will never be cured of. For many the cost savings NEVER happens.
smile.gif
You always want better equipment and that can get real expensive. The real benefit to reloading is getting to an accuracy level better than factory ammo for your rifle.

I like the Speer manual. Has plenty of how tos, plenty of data and a one pager on the history of each cartridge.

Definitely get several manuals...

Thanks for your feedback, guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely get several manuals... </div></div>

Ok, but which ones? Should I get ones from all the brands I plan to use (bullet/powder/case)? Or are there other good ones not from manufacturers? What information will I need between all the books?

I have a Lyman 49th edition and it has a lot of good information in it, but a lot of gun shops have many books to choose from. You can thumb through them and see what kind of info is in them and which one you like best. Hope this helps.

The books are great, but the best way to learn how to reload is by watching someone reload and have them show you the ropes. You also should get at least two manuals, always compare them, etc. Better yet, get two reloading buds and work with both of them.

John