• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Tale of two J frames

sjb269

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Coyote Valley
J frame #1 has the Uncle mike"s molded grips that fit my hand like a glove, super comfortable.

My newly acquired J frame has Crimson Trace grips that I am having a hard time getting used to.

I have not shot the J frame with the CT grips yet as I am waiting on an ammo delivery. Until then, I am relegated to asking this question until I can compare side by side.

Are Laser grips on a self defensive pistol ( J frame specifically) worth a comfort sacrifice for the advantage of having the laser capability?

Re: Tale of two J frames

I ordered a J frame with CT Lasergrip and I didn't like the way it fit my hand either. The standard J frame fits me a LOT better. So my daughter-in-law got a nice J frame with Lasergrip for Christmas. I ordered another j frame no lock and ordered the CT LG-105 that's almost identical to the standard S&W grip. So far I like it as it is very close to standard but nothing fits my hand as well as the standard grip that comes on the weapon.

The current CT grip for Airweights is much larger than the standard grip. I find women seem to prefer it over the standard grip and, as an added plus, it pads the back of the frame making the gun more comfortable to shoot. My 342 is a daily pocket carry. The CT grips on it are add on and much smaller. They are also not the tacky rubber so it will slide in and out of the pocket easier.
As for CT grips being worthwhile for SD, I think they are; especially if you are out at night a lot.

I picked up a 2 1/2in Chief's special and put the CT grip on. It's the perfect combo for the wife as a nightstand gun. For someone who doesn't get out a lot to shoot and practice mag changes and good sight alignment, the 5 shot revolver with a laser is perfect. I personally like that the CT grip is a little bigger than the standard grip. Takes a little sting out of the full house 38s. I loaded some light 125gr 38s so the wife wasn't put off from shooting it.

Nothing wrong with the laser grips as long as you dont sacrifice basic markmanship because you have a "laser".
The "J" frames make great little carry guns for CCW, or great house guns, you can stash them almost anywhere and if you ever need them, they will go "bang".
Shooting them is another matter entirely.
I have to qualify with one and compared to my other 2 carry guns, glock 23s, the J frame is much more difficult to shoot.

Yes a laser has the potential to allow you to get lax with your fundamentals. The only 2 lasers I own are on both nightstands. Common sense says that most problems occur at night with home invasions and the like. If such a thing ever happened, I guarantee I'll be scared and awoken from a deep sleep. My 226 has night sites, TLR-1 and CT grips. The laser is only sighted in for the average distance in my home. I would much rather have the option than be trying to get a perfect sight picture with the S&W 642.

The only time I carry a J is as a back up to my Shield or.......
any other time I need a light weight proven fight stopper.
How the hell would you know in advance if a defensive encounter will be at 3 feet or 25 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK S4F, I don't like lasers on my primary or back up, at 3' or 25 yards. If you do, more power to you.

One reason why is what you quoted, the grip is much larger and I do not care for that. </div></div>

I don't care if you like lasers or not. I want to know how you can predict what distance your defensive encounter may be at so you will know which handgun to carry that day. That was a ridiculous statement. Plain and simple.

I have an M&P 340 which has the big dot front night sight and U notch rear which work very well and are a huge improvement over the standard J frame sights. I added a pair of LG-105's to it which are very similar to the standard boot grip but don't feel quite as good, they are hard plastic and add no bulk (actually a little smaller than the stock grip). During normal firing I don't really see any advantage to the laser since the sights are so good and acquisition is very fast without it. If you are firing from the hip or are unable to use the sights for whatever reason the laser comes in handy. Overall the laser definitely provides an advantage, I'm not reliant on it but it's there if needed.
photo-71.jpg

photo-70.jpg

Those are the same grips I use. I am not reliant on them either but I do believe they provide a tool that could very well make the difference between a good shot or not.

Like others have mentioned, I think that the CT grips serve a purpose. IMO like night sights or a weapon light, they are another tool in the tool box. You still, practice the same motions, sight picture, etc. What you don't want is for a new shooter to become dependent on that little red dot. The only problem I have with a laser is people think they don't have to do anything but hit the button. For example, I heard a gun counter guru tell a woman she "wouldn't have to aim" w/the CT grips. I'm sorry but the dot is not the size of a dinner plate. In low light conditions it's easy to see but if she needed the gun at noon, chances are she'd never find the dot...

I have the 405s... looks like the 105s might be more comfortable...I will have to spend some time at the range to see if it feels better under recoil than in the living room.
the 405s have a recoil reducing gap behind the back strap... interesting.