• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Talk me into a RRS 34L TFCT

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
I think I am going to finally get a tripod, my kids need to start working with one with a goal of hunting next fall (east and south east white tails and maybe pigs)

I’ve mulled them all, from a PIG0311 to RRS, and I refuse to buy from CHY-NA

Money is always a factor, but the funds are available to me with the wife’s support to make the steep purchase of ~ $1500 for a 34Lanvil30

I shoot PRS sometimes, I will be hunting either flat lands of the south east or the hills of Kentucky, but within 5 years California mule deer might be on the menu

binoculars, spotting scopes, cameras will all take turns on it, will the typical 17lb rifle and the 7lb AR for deer hunting

so what should I buy instead of this tripod, the Rocky Mountain Tactical supports tripod plus an anvil 30 leaves room in the budget for other desires, but it seems to be a less refined product

I also don’t want to find myself wishing I had just sucked it up an got the expensive tripod because the cheaper one isn’t as stable or something

I just switched from a chyna-foto to an RRS TFCT-33 and Anvil 30. The difference is night and day. Wish I would have bought the RRS first. I'm calling them Really Really Right Stuff.

The only hunting I do is a little coyote calling in the winter. I mostly shoot field matches and spend some time on a square range. For hunting I would recommend the 33, the 24L if you need the extra height.

Reactions: gigamortis
I switched from a RRS 24L and anvil 30 to the 34l with anvil 30. Big difference in stability and well worth the money imo. I would just drop the cash on the 34L and not worry about ever buying another tripod again.

This is my AI on my new 34L for both their maiden voyages to the range last week. Couldn’t ask for more stability
CA5BF1BE-84DC-45D0-A459-80FE8E4B3800.jpeg

as a master of rationalizations and justifications for spending...and a certified poor...

i bought the tvc-34 (and the versa adapter for the anvil-30).
why spend more instead of getting the tfct-anvil?
the versa is wider at the top, which means perhaps slightly more stable with the ball head below the apex.

the versa head will accept a leveling base or center column, making it more versatile if needed.
rrs is a well known and respected tripod maker in the photography and video fields
while this might not mean anything to you or me, maybe that expensive tripod can be sold for a decent price later on.

other tripods might be sold for pennies on the dollar at a garage sale as something dad used to use for shooting.

I had a cheap tripod at first and I thought it done a great job. Then I put my rifle on my 34l for the first time and I realized why it cost what it does. Just do it you’ll have no ragrets

Uh, you answered your own question with the last sentence you wrote in your OP.
I just bought that same tripod a couple of weeks ago. I was VERY impressed, and glad I don't have to wonder if I got the best I could get.

247364e0-21d4-40df-b0e2-0a9a43957c34-jpeg.7500606

Well I guess they settles it 🤣

in all honesty though, is there any reason to not get the 34L? My only real debate is between 34L and 33

If you’re very tall at all I’d get the 34l. It’s super nice to be able to get to your eyes and have them level with your Binos.

in all honesty though, is there any reason to not get the 34L? My only real debate is between 34L and 33
i think the rrs guy will recommend the 33 if you don't need the extra height.
i went with the tvc-34, but i'm only 5'9", so i don't have to extend the 4th sections to shoot standing.

height-comparison.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
Or if you're going to be in hilly terrain.

Is the TFCT ready to go right out of the box
(minus any ARCA adapters) ?
My understanding is that it has the anvil30 built in which clamps to arcs and picatinny
Yes, but to clarify, "installed" is a better description. Built-in might imply to some that it is permanently attached or can't be changed/swapped for a different head, etc.

Reactions: J McGriddle
Yes, but to clarify, "installed" is a better description. Built-in might imply to some that it is permanently attached or can't be changed/swapped for a different head, etc.
Yes it is installed according to the rrs web page

@vh20
The Anvil-30 is pre installed on the TFCT apex. It isn’t just one sold piece you are correct but you can not remove it and install another ballhead. You would have to buy a complete new apex as well.
@Ferris Pewler
Yes the TFCT comes with the Anvil-30 Ballhead. You wouldn’t need else initially aside form whatever mounting plate you chose.

Reactions: z7.jled
What are y'all using for transport/storage? The Armageddon sling looks handy but doesn't offer much protection. I would like to keep dust and dirt off of moving parts as much as possible.

I just had my 34L delivered yesterday. I’m 6’-3” and glad I went with the 34L so I can comfortably use Binos for spotting.

Reactions: theLBC
It's not a question of IF RRS, it's a question of WHICH RRS. You really have to do some thinking about your use cases and the different heights/lengths. I came to the realization that I'd be willing to sacrifice some standing height in order to have something shorter that's easier to carry on the backpack. Glad I went with the regular 34, but then again I'm only 5'10"

I bought the RRS 34L with the anvil 30. I use it both with my AI AXMC and Swivorski STR-80 Spotting Scope. I could not be happier. It is rock solid and built like a tank. It fits nicely on the side of my ruck. I cannot recommend anything else.

I placed a 34L with anvil 30 on 8 Jan from RRS on back order, awaiting shipping, they have told me “we are trying to ship those next week” for three weeks,

Maybe soon

It's not a question of IF RRS, it's a question of WHICH RRS. You really have to do some thinking about your use cases and the different heights/lengths. I came to the realization that I'd be willing to sacrifice some standing height in order to have something shorter that's easier to carry on the backpack. Glad I went with the regular 34, but then again I'm only 5'10"
I’m the same height as you, have you had any experience using the regular 34 in hilly terrain with incline/decline shots etc?

I’m the same height as you, have you had any experience using the regular 34 in hilly terrain with incline/decline shots etc?
No sir unfortunately I can’t offer you any experience from that perspective. It’s rare that I exceed 100’ above sea level.

If you are planning to shoot standing up, at an incline the 34 will not work for most adults. Remember your at best attaching to the mid section of the rifle so the butt if the rifle is going to be lower than the ballhead of the tripod. Increase the angle it gets worse. If you plan to shoot kneeling or lower than the 34 at increased angles would work.

If you are planning to shoot standing up, at an incline the 34 will not work for most adults. Remember your at best attaching to the mid section of the rifle so the butt if the rifle is going to be lower than the ballhead of the tripod. Increase the angle it gets worse. If you plan to shoot kneeling or lower than the 34 at increased angles would work.
Can you make a 16” arca rail for key mod ?

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’m gravitating towards a TFCT-33 I think, seems to be the best compromise between the 24L’s weight and height, and the 34’s strength.
Folded height isn’t as much of a concern for me.

Does your experience and feedback reflect this? Will they be in stock soon?

Cheers 🤘🏻