• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me out of a 308 AR

metalic

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2010
Illinois
I get something in my head and I think I need one. I have an AR15 and a 308 bolt gun which are both range toys. After seeing all these 308 I'm feeling the need for one but don't know why.
What are the good and bad of the different makers and is there any to stay away from.

Re: Talk me out of a 308 AR

It eats ammo faster than a bolt gun
smile.gif
and it throws brass out of arm reach

I would recommend an FNAR. Very accurate and extremely fun to shoot!!
I like mine ALOT!

I don't think anyone here is going to be talking you out of any AR platform, especially a 308.

I'd say if you haven't handled one to do so. I know I was surprised how heavy a built .308 AR is. No more than most heavy tactical rifles but a lot heavier than you think in an AR.

Also they require better technique to shoot really well compared to a bolt rifle so a lot of times I don't think your average shooter can as easily get all the accuracy out of the AR platform.

Easier to go through a lot more ammo! Most of them run pretty good but they can be frustrating if you get one that doesn't to try and solve the issue.

None of that would keep me from buying one!

Your choice of preferred upper and lower with a custom barrel. Krieger would be my choice. Throw in a good trigger and you got the making of a tack driver. Get the 308. It will drive you nuts until you do.

if you're gonna buy one i say go for the gusto and get an lwrc repr. I havent shot one but I've handled them and they feel nice. The downside is that it comes with a $3500 price tag but ive heard claims that they are sub MOA out of the box and heard others say that theyll shoot .5 MOA out of the box, either way its a good shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Get the 308. It will drive you nuts until you do.</div></div>

I know! My wife tells me I have a sickness.

they are heavy and expensive. stay away. and dont look at the MEGA MA-10 matched upper/lower set

This site is gonna get me divorced. I find to many things I want here.

Maybe it is a sickness and I need a daily meeting at the range

You came to the wrong place to be talked out of that. This should be posted on the AK forums haha

Man I feel your pain--I suffer from "impulse buying" also. I haven't found a cure

a .308 is for long so a bolts better. put the money into components for ammo for the bolt gun.
so when u ignore that advise, get a fal or a m1a cuz theyre cooler.

Re read what Todd M wrote and then make your decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your going to do it. Now just ask which one. </div></div>

+1 If you really wanted to be talked out of purchasing an AR308, you wouldn't have started this thread. Only thing for you do to is let us know which one you end up with.

DONT DO IT

You really dont wanna be just like everyone else.
Cause then you'd have to choose, Armalite, LaRue, custom build, etc....

Life is short ... no one ever promised you tomorrow ... get the rifle dont look back ....

Best i could come up with is brass-rape. If you are delicate and reload your 308 brass with precision, a 308 AR will destroy alot of the brass.

Not as bad as a M1A, but still pretty bad

NO, I won't talk you out of it!
smile.gif

I bought a LAR-8 16" mid-length about a year ago mostly just to have. It shoots very well, and like most of my guns has much more capability for accuracy than I have. The only downside is that it is very heavy compared to the LAR-15 or similar guns. At around $1,200 is wasn't too hard on the wallet at the time.

Rock River makes good guns, and I bought a lot of their .223s for work. but on the LAR-8 there are some proprietary parts which are not interchangeable with other .308 AR type guns.

Here is my opinion, save your coin and either build one to your specs (MA-Ten Etc.). Or buy one of the top shelf models such as the LMT, OBR, LWRC, POF or JP. Even buying an upper end DPMS you are only $3-800 from pure bliss.

The reason I say this is that you will spend the same amount and then some upgrading a standard model, then if you want to sell it you will take a bigger hit on it. Also stay with the SR25/DPMS mag pattern it seems to be much more popular now. This is a buy once cry once gun.

This is my opinion based on the fact that I am very happy that that DPMS drug their feet getting my 260 and I cancelled the order and bought my LMT MWS and I couldnt be happier.

Thanks for all the opinions and now I'm going to put my next 1911 on the back burner. Is there any brands that you would suggest staying away from? Why? My buddy (FFL) just got hooked up with LMT to order a 308 for another customer. I think he was telling me upper 2G's.

After years of happiness with my .308 bolt gun I recently decided to acquire a .308 semi. At first I wanted an m1a but after reading countless threads on semi auto's accuracy I opted for an Ar specificly a DPMS LR308. I now have had it for approximately 3 months and am strongly considering selling it. If I could go back I would have purchased another bolt gun in a different caliber (300wm or 300wsm) just for long range stuff. perhaps mine is just a lemon or the problem is DPMS but the damn thing does not group like some claim. I reload so I have been tinkering between 168' and 175gr with various powders and various loads and I still get inconsistent groupings. Specificly in a 5 shot group it usually groups 3-4 with 1-2 flyers. I consistently get amazing groups out of my bolt gun and been shooting for many years so I know its not me. If you opt for one I would probably recomend you look at a different brand or if your really into accuracy I would stay away from them all together just my opinion. Perhaps I'm just real sore right now cause mine has let me down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuffm4615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After years of happiness with my .308 bolt gun I recently decided to acquire a .308 semi. At first I wanted an m1a but after reading countless threads on semi auto's accuracy I opted for an Ar specificly a DPMS LR308. I now have had it for approximately 3 months and am strongly considering selling it. If I could go back I would have purchased another bolt gun in a different caliber (300wm or 300wsm) just for long range stuff. perhaps mine is just a lemon or the problem is DPMS but the damn thing does not group like some claim. I reload so I have been tinkering between 168' and 175gr with various powders and various loads and I still get inconsistent groupings. Specificly in a 5 shot group it usually groups 3-4 with 1-2 flyers. I consistently get amazing groups out of my bolt gun and been shooting for many years so I know its not me. If you opt for one I would probably recomend you look at a different brand or if your really into accuracy I would stay away from them all together just my opinion. Perhaps I'm just real sore right now cause mine has let me down. </div></div>

I read that they need a different technique than a bolt gun. Maybe look into techniques for the AR platform, might help get rid of some of those flyers... Otherwise, always worth a call to Kreiger for a new tube.

I bought a 24" bull brl dpms 308 and love it. Shot good right out of the box. It hates 168's though. I have had the best groups with 178amax's and 175smk.

Just a suggestion. Get it chambered in NATO 7.62x51. Saved me some headaches. Surplus ammo is cheap. Good Luck!

I was there a month ago....Yesterday I received my P.O.F P308 Im glad I pulled the trigger. Get it if you change your mind you can always sell it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get something in my head and I think I need one. I have an AR15 and a 308 bolt gun which are both range toys. After seeing all these 308 I'm feeling the need for one but don't know why.
What are the good and bad of the different makers and is there any to stay away from.
</div></div>

I got the 16" DPMS AP4. It shoots very well. I have run a couple of classes with it and it just eats all the ammo I feed it.

It LOVES American Eagl Ball ammo. MOA (with a scope).

IT shoot match ammo extremely well.

I am going to add a GAP upper 24" and keep goin'

Oh

Don't buy it
whistle.gif

BMT

I have an Armalite AR-10 in 308(does shoot 1/2" groups) but switched over to a 260 Rem for better long range(past 1000yds) use. Went with a 24" Kreiger barrel that shoots sub 1/2" groups at about 2700fps with my accuracy load. I will stay with the 260!

Talk me out of a 308 AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TANGO2072</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DONT DO IT

You really dont wanna be just like everyone else.</div></div>

Precisely, why be normal when you can be abnormal?

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

I bought a Larue OBR with a 20" barrel. Should arrive early next week.

Of course, I followed that up with a Remington 5R almost instantaneously.

I don't like this website. Or at least my wallet doesn't.

I <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">can't</span></span> talk you out of one.
If the world were to come to an end, like some kind of Kevin Costner movie, the rifle I would grab would be my Armalite AR-10(T) 16" carbine. It is one of my favorite rifles and it has <span style="font-style: italic">tremendous</span>, devastating, firepower at your trigger-finger tip.
BUY ONE!

Buy an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel or 6mm AR Turbo 40 Improved. Both will deliver 1000 yds performance in a much lighter package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WARDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the world were to come to an end, like some kind of Kevin Costner movie... </div></div>

800px-Postman_10.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeke013</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a Larue OBR with a 20" barrel. Should arrive early next week.

I don't like this website. Or at least my wallet doesn't. </div></div>

Cutting it very fine with a 20 inch barrel for 1000 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeke013</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a Larue OBR with a 20" barrel. Should arrive early next week.

I don't like this website. Or at least my wallet doesn't. </div></div>

Cutting it very fine with a 20 inch barrel for 1000 yds.</div></div>

Actually - it's 1,200 yards.

Which is why I picked up the 5R! (With a 24" barrel.)

Don't look at me. My FIRST post on the forum was a few days ago - and THAT post was to join in on a group buy for Mega MA-TEN lowers. Heck - I caught the fever so bad I went ahead and added a forged Mega AR15 lower to the order and told the wife it was for her...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeke013</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Actually - it's 1,200 yards.
</div></div>

Good luck with that! Even 20 inch 308 bolt guns start to become questionable at a 1000 yds. The bullet has to be travelling supersonic thru the target - if its not accuracy deteriorates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck with that! Even 20 inch 308 bolt guns start to become questionable at a 1000 yds. The bullet has to be travelling supersonic thru the target - if its not accuracy deteriorates.</div></div> Not when the rifle is set up correctly.

Get the .308 semi auto, the only thing better would be a belt feed .308 weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck with that! Even 20 inch 308 bolt guns start to become questionable at a 1000 yds. The bullet has to be travelling supersonic thru the target - if its not accuracy deteriorates.</div></div> Not when the rifle is set up correctly. </div></div>

I agree from a bolt gun with tailored loads (just) and maybe not magazine fed - but from a gas gun I'm not so sure. Certainly not 1200 yds from a gas or bolt gun with a 20 inch tube as Zeke013 is suggesting.

I wouldnt bother with trying to talk you out of a .308 AR.

Its a fun gun to shoot and if you are familiar with the AR-15 platform then transition to the .308 AR is super easy. Muscle memory is the same between the two and there are tons of options out there availible to you.

I would set out for a price your willing to spend on a gun and go from there.

Many of the rifles out there run for 3500 all the way down to just under 1000. Most of the sub MOA shooters run around the 2k mark.

The DPMS pattern is your best bet as the options for this style make up the majority of the market.

Most 14-20 inch guns can work well all the way out to 800 yards. I havent taken mine out past 600 as there really isnt a place to shoot that far out here other than BLM land.

Let us know what you decided to get and post pics!

I dont agree with an AR requiring a different technique but more that they amplify bad habits. You must put more thought into doing things correctly but the basics remain the same.

IMO bolt guns are more forgiving. Only reason I felt the need to make a point of this is that I think many (including myself) are intitialy intimidated by all the talk of how difficult they are to shoot well. I think my journey down this path in the end made me a better shooter overall YMMV.

A06

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel or 6mm AR Turbo 40 Improved. Both will deliver 1000 yds performance in a much lighter package. </div></div>

One of the 6mm small format AR's may be the answer to your wants. If you already have an AR just get or build the upper, money saved. Mine is a 6 RAT and since I got it the 308 sits in the safe. Lot less recoil, lighter package, and very accurate.

I thought I needed a 308 gas gun and got one, shoots sub moa, and is reliable. Put several hundred rounds through it and got very good results. Never did get to the point where the funky recoil didn't bother me. That heavy bolt group slamming shut just bugs me. Probably just me, but I don't have to put up with it when shooting the 6 mm.