• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Talk me out of a K can

Look at one of the new Sig SLX cans. Either QD or direct thread, they make several sizes and were developed for a military contract, with flash suppression (using a flash suppressor end cap) and their biggest feature, up to 75% less back pressure due to their 3D printed baffles.

I currently use a Sandman S on my 11.5 MCX and am seriously considering one of these as a dedicated 5.56 for that gun.

Suppressor_7-slx-slh_2.jpg

Reactions: rlsmith1
I've actually got an MGX on the way in 338 that will be more of a standard size with a set of baffles to make it magnum length (15). I've heard their baffle design is higher pressure than other cans but I'm waiting to see with the one I have on order. Sounds like you haven't had any issues though? Less baffles means less back pressure too so it probably evens out. My Biggest question is flash... Have you shot it at night? The Rex cans check a lot of boxes...

@kthomas

I have not yet. I've used the Socom RC1 at night and had some flash. I can always throw a few rounds down range tomorrow evening and see if I can get back to you on that.

I have not yet. I've used the Socom RC1 at night and had some flash. I can always throw a few rounds down range tomorrow evening and see if I can get back to you on that.
That would be sweet if you don’t mind. I’m looking at the 4 baffle Rex or the Biscuit S recommended too. Both look good with the biscuit being heavier.

@Jigstick its not overly long, just so close to how my 13.9” pinned build feels I’d like a little more compactness and I’m willing to sacrifice sound for that

Reactions: Jigstick
Here’s my Sandman S on my 10.5 SBR. The gun feels extremely small and nimble when maneuvering. Not once have I felt the need for a K can. I just can’t imagine it feeling obnoxiously long with a 11.5-12.5 barrel.

I think theres a little bit of a spectrum too, as the Sandman S isn't exactly huge.
Sandman S - 6.8" - 17.7oz - 1.5" diameter - TOTAL Volume = 12.01sq/in
A standard MG7 is - 5.6" - 12.1oz - 1.7" diameter - TOTAL Volume = 12.70sq/in

If you also factor in that the Sandman has a longer collar/mount system, while the MG7 can run Griffin short Taper mounts or direct thread, you realize you're actually getting more for the length vs. the Sandman S. I'd be interested to see a legit comparison both audibly and on sound equipment, to see if that extra space actually makes a difference.

Now if we're comparing K cans like the YHM TurboK, then we could compare it with something like a 4 baffle MGX can from Rex
YHM TurboK - 4.9" - 10.5oz - 1.56" D - TOTAL Volume = 9.36sq/in
MG4 - 4.6" - 9.5oz - 1.7" D - TOTAL Volume = 10.44sq/in

No real data on this, but the shorter fat cans definitely have an edge, and this would make sense why my MG7 is so much more enjoyable to shoot without earpro compared to my SOCOM RC1.

That would be sweet if you don’t mind. I’m looking at the 4 baffle Rex or the Biscuit S recommended too. Both look good with the biscuit being heavier.
@Jigstick
The guys at REX said the 4 baffle seems to be a sweet spot for AR's of shorter length. I'll try and get back to you on the flash at night. Keep in mind, my MG7 is bored at .358, so I'm assuming that make contribute to more flash if anything.

Regarding handling and feel:

Both length and weight matter. On my Turbo K there is a noticeable "swing weight" difference just going from the standard QD mount to the Kurz mount. The difference is only ~1 oz and 5/8" but it's very noticeable. Going to the DT mount is ~6 oz and 3/4" and it feels like a completely different can on a 16" rifle.

Regarding handling and feel:

Both length and weight matter. On my Turbo K there is a noticeable "swing weight" difference just going from the standard QD mount to the Kurz mount. The difference is only ~1 oz and 5/8" but it's very noticeable. Going to the DT mount is ~6 oz and 3/4" and it feels like a completely different can on a 16" rifle.
Good point, I use the Griffin Plan A with minimalist mounts which add basically no overall length or weight.

Things we learned:

1. The YHM Turbo and Turbo K rock.
2. The Q mount or DT work good.
3. Going to a 556 can on a 556 gun took a lot of sting out of the shorter length vs running a 308 can on there.
4. LMt 12” Piston gun with Turbo K is 136dB at SE.
5. I love Tirra Misu from Kroger/City Market. It’s actually better than even the high end restaurants somehow.
6. K style 308 cans blow on anything but .300 BO subs.
7. I’ll never buy another tubed can.

Things we learned:

1. The YHM Turbo and Turbo K rock.
2. The Q mount or DT work good.
3. Going to a 556 can on a 556 gun took a lot of sting out of the shorter length vs running a 308 can on there.
4. LMt 12” Piston gun with Turbo K is 136dB at SE.
5. I love Tirra Misu from Kroger/City Market. It’s actually better than even the high end restaurants somehow.
6. K style 308 cans blow on anything but .300 BO subs.
7. I’ll never buy another tubed can.
What were you using to meter? 136db sounds low.

I just got a bootleg adjustable carrier for my 12.5 curious to see if it makes a meaningful difference

What were you using to meter? 136db sounds low.

I just got a bootleg adjustable carrier for my 12.5 curious to see if it makes a meaningful difference
Piston guns cut down on port pop.

I’m using a calibrated Apollo industrial sound monitor.

I run a Surefire 5.56 mini on an 11.5 sig MCX virtus. Shooting 70gr Barnes almost exclusively at night hunting pigs. No fireball and hearing safe “enough” for me that I don’t wear ear pro with it.

Went back to the range yesterday.

Had an interesting experience where the Turbo-K with direct mount was quieter than a surefire RC2. By a lot. Relative numbers were 122dB and 129db at shooters ear.

My last testing at 136 DB was Hornady Superformance 556 looking at the notebook. Seriously hot ammo.

Both cans were on 12” lmt piston guns. I find these usually meter better than a 12” DI gun. I put the meter at the shooters right ear each time.

I also shot a micro-30 .30 cal K can on a 16” lmt piston. It was 146DB. Sucked donkey balls.

I have a suspicion that the impulse noise of the gun shot has a negative effect in direct measuring with the Apollo. I’ll bet it’s internal operating frequency is slow enough it sometimes misses the peak, but it’s relative numbers across 10 shots seem to match the at-ear experience.

I don’t have a Bruer and Kjael to test it with since I don’t need much more than relative results.

Last edited:
Went back to the range yesterday.

Had an interesting experience where the Turbo-K with direct mount was quieter than a surefire RC2. By a lot. Relative numbers were 122dB and 129db at shooters ear.

Both cans were on 12” lmt piston guns. I find these usually meter better than a 12” DI gun. I put the meter at the shooters right ear each time.

I also shot a micro-30 .30 cal K can on a 16” lmt piston. It was 146DB. Sucked donkey balls.

I have a suspicion that the impulse noise of the gun shot has a negative effect in direct measuring with the Apollo. I’ll bet it’s internal operating frequency is slow enough it sometimes misses the peak, but it’s relative numbers across 10 shots seem to match the at-ear experience.

I don’t have a Bruer and Kjael to test it with since I don’t need much more than relative results.

If you can post the model number of the meter and microphones, I

If you can post the model number of the meter and microphones, I
Quest Apollo 2400 if I remember right. I don’t think it’s been made for 30 years.

Was an early industrial setup that peaks at 150dB, A and C mode analysis etc. I still have the calibration rig for it and the rig has proper waveform on my scope and the Apollo shows calibrated numbers.

That said it’s no B&K. It’s relative numbers seem to match experience on the ground, but I for sure wouldn’t put its output on a product page.

I’m not able to measure the bare muzzle data for example since many guns are 154+.

Quest Apollo 2400 if I remember right. I don’t think it’s been made for 30 years.

Was an early industrial setup that peaks at 150dB, A and C mode analysis etc. I still have the calibration rig for it and the rig has proper waveform on my scope and the Apollo shows calibrated numbers.

That said it’s no B&K. It’s relative numbers seem to match experience on the ground, but I for sure wouldn’t put its output on a product page.

I’m not able to measure the bare muzzle data for example since many guns are 154+.

The rise time on the mic is too slow and is clipping the peak of the sound wave.

Reactions: J-Ham
I'm going to have to agree with hemi.

What I've seen is that the louder sounds are typically very short. This leads to slower meters missing things like first round pop or just the peak of the actual sound.

I've yet to see a functioning ar at less than about 135db, especially not sbr's.

Any economical meters that will do the job?
The B&K can be sourced. A few guys on the F1 board have them. That said, i do not own one, but will some day. Even if it's a Larson Davis

I'm going to have to agree with hemi.

What I've seen is that the louder sounds are typically very short. This leads to slower meters missing things like first round pop or just the peak of the actual sound.

I've yet to see a functioning ar at less than about 135db, especially not sbr's.
You would be pleasantly surprised by some of the F1 builds out there then.

I'm not against being proven wrong. But there's a limit for shooter's ear on an AR.
I totally agree there. Port pop is a bitch. And 115db action noise as it is. I just think the advancement in the F1 world has been great. Especially with private owners shelling out for real deal sound meters. Gives great baselines in comparison to F4 stuff.

The guy that started Otter Creek designed some pretty stellar stuff, still be copied to this day, with great success.

Wasn't doubting you, just suggesting taking a peek

Reactions: Snaz
Because I don’t see it already mentioned, you should check out an over the barrel option. AB makes one, I think surefire and allen engineering do them as well.