• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me out of a SURGEON RSR

crossgun

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2008
N.E. Ohio
So I am really confused and think I have been making some big mistakes. I have more than a few 700SA builds and might be looking for something different. My biggest need is for a straight bolt handle so I have been modifying some of my Remmy bolts with the PTG handle which I have about $150 in to convert.

Start with a Remington action($400) True the action($250) Bolt handle modification ($150) or just modify for a Tac Knob ($100) means I have been spending between $750 and $800. That of course doesn’t count the time and cost to ship or travel to the smith.

Please tell me why next time I just shouldn’t get a Surgeon RSR action which includes a lot of extras like pinned scope base rail, pinned lug, 8x32 base screws, straight bolt handle with options for knobs and side bolt release all for less than $800!

What am I missing? Is there a reason I should not buy the RSR action next time right from the start?

Re: Talk me out of a SURGEON RSR

No reason. Get the Surgeon.

I thought about hacking up a 5r for my shorty .308 build. That got X'ed when I too did the math. Surgeon will be getting more of my money when the time comes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crossgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What am I missing? Is there a reason I should not buy the RSR action next time right from the start?
</div></div>

Because once I totaled up everything for my Surgeon RSR build I could spend just a little more and adopt a poor homeless AE MkII.

I did the right thing and gave the AE a home.

Of course it will depend on what you actually intend to do with the rifle.

I think you have answered your own question. The only up side to starting with the Remington receiver is you can get the work done in steps so it isn't such a big hit on the wallet. In the end, you are still spending about the same coin on either one.

I'm not familiar with the Surgeon RSR, but does it have the same footprint as a Remington receiver? If it does, you have the same options as Remington receivers in regards to stocks. If it doesn't, well, there is another point to consider.

Kelly

Is this even a question?

Should I buy a bleh budget action, and piss money away to make it decent

Or just buy a precision action from the get go?

I wish decisions in life were all this hard...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No reason. Get the Surgeon. </div></div>
+1

Alderleet what action do you own? Do you have the Surgeon?

Surgeon RSR action which includes a lot of extras like pinned scope base rail, pinned lug, 8x32 base screws, straight bolt handle with options for knobs and side bolt release all for less than $800!

Thats the reason i choose/bought RSR over R700. : )

i am a big fan of surgeon so this is not a bash . but i was wondering are the surgeon actions trued or so near perfect that they dont need it ? or would a trued , modded remmy be a more precise platform ? of course you caould always true the surgeon if needed . . . also wondering from a $ standpoint if you have to use the surgeon rail for the rsr or can you mount up any rem sa rail ?

Hahah, I was just about to post the exact same thing jasonk. Me personally I can't decide for my next rifle, a build using the 591 or a DTA SRS, or just get both lol.

Preston and the guys at Surgeon are shooters first and foremost. They fully understand what it takes to manufacture tack drivers. They also understand how to manufacture one of the best receivers in the industry and the absolute best DBM there is. Even though I have my own signature receiver, I still use theirs when requested to do so. I do it with out reservation because I know the quality level I'll be receiving and passing on.

Don’t think twice, get the Surgeon.

I bought a surgeon barreled action for just those reasons you mentioned. By the time you spend the money to bring a Remington 700 up to speed, you have almost as much into it as a surgeon.

I had a custom built on an RSR...sold it and replaced it with a Defiance Machine build: very happy. I had lots of QC problems with both Surgeon actions I owned...past tense. I have had zero problems with the 3 Defiance actions I own. Glen Harrison has been building custom actions longer than anyone and that is a big reason why you will have zero problems with his actions. Just my experience..mileage varies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a custom built on an RSR...sold it and replaced it with a Defiance Machine build: very happy. I had lots of QC problems with both Surgeon actions I owned...past tense. I have had zero problems with the 3 Defiance actions I own. Glen Harrison has been building custom actions longer than anyone and that is a big reason why you will have zero problems with his actions. Just my experience..mileage varies. </div></div>

What problems you had with RSR?

When I faced this dilemma I went with the RSR without a second thought. The one piece bolt and EDM manufacturing are very nice upgrades over a standard 700.

In full disclosure the lugs did need to be slightly lapped for optimal contact, but everything else was true.

I love my Surgeon 591, the RSR is tempting if you're looking to do a build and save as much money as possible without sacrificing that custom gun feel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crossgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start with a Remington action($400) True the action($250) Bolt handle modification ($150) or just modify for a Tac Knob ($100) means I have been spending between $750 and $800. That of course doesn’t count the time and cost to ship or travel to the smith.
</div></div>

I think you just answered your own question, just order the action from Surgeon and wait for it to come to your door. RSR < $800 you just can't beat the price!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a custom built on an RSR...sold it and replaced it with a Defiance Machine build: very happy. I had lots of QC problems with both Surgeon actions I owned...past tense. I have had zero problems with the 3 Defiance actions I own. Glen Harrison has been building custom actions longer than anyone and that is a big reason why you will have zero problems with his actions. Just my experience..mileage varies. </div></div>

What problems you had with RSR? </div></div>

Yes please provide more info....

I'd get the Defiance just for the ability to use AW mags, but what do I know.

RSR for me.

comparison033.jpg

What about the BigHorn Arms action instead?

Love my rifle that Mark built for me and it's an absolute hammer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjm229</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a custom built on an RSR...sold it and replaced it with a Defiance Machine build: very happy. I had lots of QC problems with both Surgeon actions I owned...past tense. I have had zero problems with the 3 Defiance actions I own. Glen Harrison has been building custom actions longer than anyone and that is a big reason why you will have zero problems with his actions. Just my experience..mileage varies. </div></div>

What problems you had with RSR? </div></div>

Yes please provide more info.... </div></div>

1. Firing pin dragged and actually would not release because the bolt was machined improperly.
2. Replacement bolt exhibited badly off-center primer strikes.
3. CG Jackson trigger was not functional in Surgeon actions, but works fine in all the other Remington clones. Failures to fire, etc. Surgeon indicated they had problems with some of their cocking pieces (QC).

The Surgeon crew is a group of stand-up guys and they tried to make it right. However, after returning both the 591 and RSR several times without success, I decided to cut my losses and move on.

I know they have a fantastic reputation and my experience may be isolated. But, I've not had a single problem like this with the Defiance Machine actions.

Never had a problem with my 7WSM RSR. It was a 1/2moa rifle at 1K.