• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Talk me out of a third Razor 2

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    I have two Razor 2s and really like them, and buying a new scope this next week. What scope is going to give me a bigger fov and eye box with turrets and glass equal or better for $2500ish or less?

At $2500 the market is good for a used NF F1 or S&B. I like my GenII Razor but I like my ATACR F1 better and got it for less than $2500 in the PX here.

Anything over $2200 on a brand new gen 2 is overpaying.

At 2500, you have S&B and other options.

In my opinion though, the g2 and amg have the best turrets out there. As well as very generous eye boxes. AMG can be had for similar price retail and almost exact same price on here used vs a used g2.

For the price vs functions, it’s hard to bear a G II

Gen 2 Razor has very flexible eye relief. Kahles K624i has wider FOV and equally or more flexible eye relief. With K525i coming out, I suspect there will be some very reasonable prices on the K624i.

Now to be clear, I think that most scopes in this range have perfectly reasonable eye relief flexibility and FOV, and the differences between them are not very large. There are exceptions, but in use, the biggest differences between similarly priced quality scopes come down to reticles and controls.

With K624i, to me, the reason you buy it is if you like their reticles (which I generally do) and if you like the center mounted parallax (which I also do; especially when I practice shooting lefty). Optically, while very good, I do not think it is quite as good as some of the competing designs (we already had the CA discussion, so I am not going to rehash it here), which is why K525i is coming that I expect to be absolutely world class.

Now, with all that out of the way, if you like the turrets and reticle of Razor Gen 2, and already have two of them, there are good reasons to stick with that, so you do not have re-train yourself.

If you simply want to try something different, start with picking a reticle you like.

ILya

Ilya speaks truth. If you like it, why change unless you just want to try something new?

If you wanna Stick with razor g2..id say buy another one..something diff? You already got that 2500 id wait for k25 :)

I like pretty much everything about the razor 2, I was just seeing if there was something I was missing. I'll get a third and then wait to see what Kahles comes up with on the 5-25. If it's ridiculous then maybe I'll grab one to try. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Reactions: 5RWill
    I have a few optics. Sig, Khales, Atacr, and Razor/AMG. I preferred most of the functions/ergonomics on the Razors.

Splitting hairs and personal preferences until you jump into the TT, Henny, etc price range.

The only thing I'd be super tempted to wait on would be a ZCO, but as exciting as those look, I'm not an early adopter when it comes to 99% of the stuff out there. Were I to buy another scope today, it would be a replacement AMG. Hard to go wrong with Vortex's top shelf stuff!

Gen 2 Razor has very flexible eye relief. Kahles K624i has wider FOV and equally or more flexible eye relief. With K525i coming out, I suspect there will be some very reasonable prices on the K624i.

Now to be clear, I think that most scopes in this range have perfectly reasonable eye relief flexibility and FOV, and the differences between them are not very large. There are exceptions, but in use, the biggest differences between similarly priced quality scopes come down to reticles and controls.

With K624i, to me, the reason you buy it is if you like their reticles (which I generally do) and if you like the center mounted parallax (which I also do; especially when I practice shooting lefty). Optically, while very good, I do not think it is quite as good as some of the competing designs (we already had the CA discussion, so I am not going to rehash it here), which is why K525i is coming that I expect to be absolutely world class.

Now, with all that out of the way, if you like the turrets and reticle of Razor Gen 2, and already have two of them, there are good reasons to stick with that, so you do not have re-train yourself.

If you simply want to try something different, start with picking a reticle you like.

ILya

Ended up buying that third Razor 2 and a gen 3 Kahles 624i. I got a chance to try the kahles out a couple of weeks ago and it did have a little more FOV than the Razor 2, and I liked the parallax knob location, turrets, etc. CA wasn't bad at all, pretty much identical to the Razor 2 IMO, which is very minor. It's no Tangent Theta, which was almost impossible to find anything to even comment on negatively (except that the parallax knob has almost no identifying marks that tell you what it is actually dialed for), but it's also not $4000+ either...

Under $2000 the razor is a no brainer. $2500 the nightforce lets you lose a few ounces. If light weight is paramount look at the AMG.

The revic is another interesting alternative, though unproven, at this price point.

Or if you’re not in a huge hurry, wait and see what Vortex offers between now and shot show 2019.

There has to be something coming in the amg lineup soon.

I know how you can get a brand new Kahles for $2600.

I'm selling a certificate in the Optics for Sale section that will give you $400 off retail on a K624i. $500 off on a K318i, or $550 off the new K525i.

Pretty good gig.

I'm selling a certificate in the Optics for Sale section that will give you $400 off retail on a K624i. $500 off on a K318i, or $550 off the new K525i.

Pretty good gig.

Why not just get a new K525i for 55% off yourself and use it?

Reactions: Birddog6424
    Why not just get a new K525i for 55% off yourself and use it?

I can't deny that I'm horribly tempted. I really like Kahles scopes. I'll take it as a sign that I should keep it if it doesn't move quickly :)

But the truth of the matter is I have plenty of scopes, but don't have a rifle for the Kahles. And I shoot for Burris, so all my competition rifles run an XTR II of one flavor or another.

I suspect it will sell though, as soon as a guy in the market for a Kahles sees it. The ability to buy a new K318i for $2700 or the new K525i for $2750 is a pretty great deal.

Last edited:

Pretty good gig.

Why don't you just buy a scope and resell it????

Why don't you just buy a scope and resell it????

It's a better deal this way for whomever buys it. I might make another 100 or $200 by buying a scope and selling brand new in the box, but I don't need to squeeze every penny out of it. It's a great deal for someone priced as it is.. So it's simpler to dish off the certificate rather than buying a particular scope and looking for the buyer that wants that particular scope with the reticle of my choice. My way the person buying the certificate gets to choose what scope they want with the reticle they want.

And it's zero hassle for me. I can drop a certificate in a manila envelope and drop it in the mail. Very clean and easy.