• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes talk to me about about weaver tactical .

kenndapp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
i have read every thing i can on this forum and others regarding the relativity new weaver tactical 3-15 illuminated scopes. i guess i would like to hear from the owners about how they are holding up. thees scopes have every thing im looking for except the name....weaver. i dont know much about them and i don't think they have a name in the tactical community. a search of all the threads showed me that many people feel the same way. the threads on this forum and others have convinced me that the weaver has a slight edge over the vortex pst line which was my top choice until i found this weaver. so after some time has passed since the 3-15 weaver tactical has come out hopefully you owners could share how you feel about them after some hard use. in nervous about buying a weaver. help me out.........

Re: talk to me about about weaver tactical .

I have the weaver 3-15x50 EMDR on a M1A and love it. Plenty of elevation using a 0 moa base. I have 18.2 mils of elevation with a 100 yd zero. Haven't pushed it out past 500 yet but so far the glass is crisp and clear and everything works and tracks great. The eye box is a little touchy but not to the point that it causes me any problems. Helps me ensure consistent cheekweld every shot. One thing to note is the emdr reticle is the best reticle I've ever used and I'm comparing this to the Gen II mil-dot reticle found on schmidt and bender PMII scopes. It doesn't have the 5 mil marks on the stadia posts but I've never had to go past using the immediate 5 mils from the center. Also the center of the reticle is an open point which really helps me make precision shots. Can't go wrong with the price.

thank you. mine will be going on a m14 variant as well. how is the illumination at night? i was able to find a few pictures of the illumination in daylight. it seems very bright and with only 5 intensity setting i worry about it's actual use at night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenndapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> these scopes have every thing im looking for except the name....weaver. </div></div>

haha , thats pretty funny , sorry i can't offer you anything constructive.

say it out loud right now with me, W-E-A-V-E-R ..........sounds less than solid right? but seriously, how are thees holding up? they really do have every thing i am looking for. at less than $1000, if can be called reliable, i must have one.

i havent used the 3-15, but i do have the 3-10 tactical grandslam offered though midway. it has performed perfectly with everything I have used it on. there is a video review by lowlight next to the review icon in the link provided.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/...t-reticle-matte

I am assuming by price point that the scope I have is inferior to the 3-15 model. In that I would deduce the 3-15 would hold up and perform reliably as well.

if this scope had paralax and illumination it would be PERFECT for you intended use IMO!

thank you. i sounds like you have seen all my "what about this scope" and "what about that scope" threads that i have been planting around here lately. i basically need the toughest, most durable/reliable scope with the best overall performance and the best lowlight/nolight performance i can possibly get for under $1000. first it was a vortex pst, then trijicon accupoint, then back to the vortex pst......finally i found this 3-15 weaver. i have spent countless hours doing my research on this forum and others. as of right now the weaver 3-15x tactical has my vote. im still nervous about the weaver though. like i said.....durability is paramount and the jury is still out on that one.

They are very good. I have two of these scopes. I have the 3-15 mill/mill and I have a older 4-20 MOA/mill. They have both been 100% repeatable and the glass is top notch. I will say the illumination might be a bit on the bright side for night hunting. I have not used it at night but it is plenty bright.

I owned one for a while, but sold it as I wanted more magnification. For my needs the only real complaints I had (other than the 15x on top) was the thick reticle and the knobs had some alignment issues when raising to adjust and then dropping back down. I also have owned PST's and the Weaver has a much more rugged feel to it. It reminds me more of my Razor and NSX.

Both of my shooting partners have been pounding the hell out of them on 300WM's and they just keep ticking.

If I was going to shoot tactical matches exclusively and was limited to under $1000, I would not hesitate to put one back on my rifle.

John

does any one have any illuminated pictures or the reticles? possibly at night? i cant find any good ones on the net. aside from the pic request here. has any one used the illumination at night? how is it?

Reactions: OG10

I'll get a pic of it tonight and post the illum. The red illumination on lowest setting works great for me at night. I can't shoot at night but I've looked through it around my house and it seemed satisfactory.

Thank you. Any help with figuring out this scope would be great!

Tried to get some pictures of the illum at night but I just don't have the camera to take good enough pictures and I don't think taking them under normal lighting conditions would help you out too much. Sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mission_fail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried to get some pictures of the illum at night but I just don't have the camera to take good enough pictures and I don't think taking them under normal lighting conditions would help you out too much. Sorry. </div></div>

well you are living up to your screen name! j\k

Weaver is going to have a problem passing the snob/gearhead test. Doesn't really matter how good the product is if you don't cultivate a cult following.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hopkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver is going to have a problem passing the snob/gearhead test. Doesn't really matter how good the product is if you don't cultivate a cult following. </div></div>

Actually, "cult" and "snob/gearhead" are two different classes. Most "cult" type of people I know are counter culture and don't really care about the status quo. Weaver doesn't seem to care about competing with the S-B's, NF's, USO's or Premier's of this world, and from the looks of things they already have quite a cult following.

I don't think they're losing sleep.

John

Something else in the Weaver Tactical vs Vortex PST debate, how does Weaver's customer service compare to Vortex's?

I'm currently looking at both of these scopes (weaver tactical and vortex viper PST), all I can say is that its really a throw up between the two, one seems just as good as the next and its really just a matter of preference, with that said I'm most likely going to go with the vortex because I just can't see how weaver's customer service can match vortex's.

so no pictures for me yet huh? can i get some more weaver testimonials?

I'll throw my .02 in as I've had one for some time now and started the weaver tactical thread when it was released in the spring.

First the good.
The first thing you will notice about the scope is the quality of the glass. This glass is spectacular for the money, on the same level as the SS HD 5-20 (had one) and the like. Very bright vivid colors, no CA and last time I was at the range past 100yd I noticed it gave a 3D FOV. Huge eye relief, think close to 4 inches. The knobs, at least mine have a distinct feel to them, very little audible but so what. Its built fairly solid, holds zero and tracks like a champ. For the most part I like the reticle as its very similar to the Gen 2 Mil-dot but wish the half mil hashes were solid rather than small dots on either side of the reticle. More than enough travel. I have 31.2 mils of elevation in mine.

Bad.
Really have my doubts that its actually a 15x scope. I've compared it to the SS 5-20, bushnell elite 6-24 and at the same mag it always appears to be at a lower level. This is most noticeable at 10+. From 12-15x, the magnification picture barely moves as compared to moving the magnification from 3-6x. Its probably more of a 13x scope, and though that may be a small knock on it that really says something about the glass quality.

Meh.
No zero stop but probably half of the scopes on the market don't have one.
The illumination is useable, level 1 is decent but not great at low light. Level 5 either color is good for day use.

Not sure about the weaver customer service but do know Vortex is top notch. Haven't needed to use the weaver CS. That not with standing I've had the opportunity to look through a viper PST and though it by far has a better reticle the glass is noticeably behind the weavers. Price wise go with the weaver, they are going for $700 at SWFA.

Flyingbullseye

I think am going with the weaver. When you say illumination is not great at night...what do you mean? Btw. Thank you every one. My whole optics selection delima has my head spinning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenndapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When you say illumination is not great at night...what do you mean? </div></div>

Its too bright past the first level. It'll work fine on level 1 after the sun goes down/dark, but past that its just too much. If weaver lowered the intensity on at least the first two levels and left the rest alone it would be better.

Flyingbullseye

So level one DOES work at night?

Good. This will mostly be used at night

also, i hear people say things like "i am really impressed with the new weaver ever since ATK helped out." ...or something to that effect. who is ATK? and how did the help weaver with this new scope?

ATK owns Weaver along with CCI,Speer,Federal Cartridge,RCBS and Alliant Powder. They also own a plethora of defense contracting companies.

I have a 3-15 EMDR. Before I bought it, I compared it side by side with the Vortex Viper PST 4-16, and the difference was apparent the moment I picked them both up. The Weaver feels like it's made from billet compared to the Vortex. IMO, the Weaver beat the Vortex hands down in every criteria except weight. It is noticeably heavier than the PST. From the examples I handled and looked through, the Weaver has visibly sharper glass, a nicer reticle, and a higher quality overall feel. So I bought it. No complaints at all.

Outstanding! The weaver tactical is looking like a fantastic sub $1000 option.

It is, like any scope on the market however I can find something about it I don't like or wished they could do different. ATK pushed weaver into making the 3-15 a mil/mil scope with illumination as far as I have read. Wish they would do the same with 4-20 and add a bit more elevation but from corresponding with weaver about this scope, the 4-20 conversion isn't going to happen anytime soon if at all. Too bad too, as many people myself including would be all over it.

Flyingbullseye

I can find nothing I don't like about mine. I can shoot out to 500 yards and while I would like more magnification ,I haven't needed it yet. I could see LEO/military apricot shooters wanting a better scope for the life and death task at hand . I however have had excellant results with paper targets/gongs/and yote's. Mine tracks 100% ,the glass is ultra bright and clear ,and for under $700.00 you can't bitch a bit.
I believe this is the best glass your going to get for under $700.00. It get's the job done ,and leaves you with some change to buy ammo and shoot more .You can always trade up in the future if you want .
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can find nothing I don't like about mine. I can shoot out to 500 yards and while I would like more magnification ,I haven't needed it yet. I could see LEO/military apricot shooters wanting a better scope for the life and death task at hand . I however have had excellant results with paper targets/gongs/and yote's. Mine tracks 100% ,the glass is ultra bright and clear ,and for under $700.00 you can't bitch a bit.
I believe this is the best glass your going to get for under $700.00. It get's the job done ,and leaves you with some change to buy ammo and shoot more .You can always trade up in the future if you want .
grin.gif
</div></div> when you say mil/leo may want more, do you mean to say that the atk/weaver tactical is not built with hard use in mind? Do you find it to be less durable than a top tier scope?

kenndapp,

It's one of the best, if not the best, under $1000 serious use scope around. Buy with confidence. If you buy from us, and aren't happy, I'll buy it back and find a demo home for it.

Scott

Sold. Wow, how can I argue. Give me a minut. I must comence fund gathering. That alone really up's my confidance in this product.

Is there a reasonable way to get one shipped to Canada, I'm sure this is a broken record question....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenndapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can find nothing I don't like about mine. I can shoot out to 500 yards and while I would like more magnification ,I haven't needed it yet. I could see LEO/military apricot shooters wanting a better scope for the life and death task at hand . I however have had excellant results with paper targets/gongs/and yote's. Mine tracks 100% ,the glass is ultra bright and clear ,and for under $700.00 you can't bitch a bit.
grin.gif
</div></div> when you say mil/leo may want more, do you mean to say that the atk/weaver tactical is not built with hard use in mind? Do you find it to be less durable than a top tier scope? </div></div>I beleive it to be 100% capable and relieable.I a'm shure it is not as good as a S&B or USO ,but you would not expect it to be . I would have no hesitation trusting the Weaver what so ever. FYI my illumination works great at night on the lowest settings of Ilumination .We just got the right to night hunt Mountian lions and Yotes at night in AZ and I will be useing the scopes ilumination for that .

So the illuminataion ajujstment is on the parallax ajustment? Isn't that pita? does it make fast ajustments easier or more difficult?

I have heard that the Weaver 3x15 is actually more like a 3x12'ish. Some think that the magnification isn't all the way up to 15x?????

I really am thinking of getting one of these scopes in trade for my 2.5x10 Nikon Tactical Ill-Mildot. But not if it is really a 12'ish power scope.

Al

Actually I would rather it be on the parallax adjustment knob as it makes the scope less cluttered and the adjustment is quick and easy.

Flyingbullseye

I would look seriously at the Bushnell Tactical Elite 6-24X50. Same money as the Weaver with more power. Its also mil/mil, not mil/moa, but that may not be an issue for you. The Bushy is a seriously nice piece of glass. Its not a NF or such, but I don't think you'd be disappointed, especially if you're on a budget.

The Weaver tactical, at least the one discussed here, is mil/mil. Since I plan on hunting with this scope, I don't need such high magnification, and 15x is just fine for up to 1000 yards. I will admit that the bushy is great glass, but I've read the weaver tac has better glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bear58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look seriously at the Bushnell Tactical Elite 6-24X50. Same money as the Weaver with more power. Its also mil/mil, not mil/moa, but that may not be an issue for you. The Bushy is a seriously nice piece of glass. Its not a NF or such, but I don't think you'd be disappointed, especially if you're on a budget. </div></div>

Sorry to correct you, but the Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR is Mil/Mil, and if I remember correctly, the Bushnell Elite Tactical model that is similarly priced to the Weaver is MOA/MIL.

I've had one for some time now. Is been used on a .308, 300wm and a 338lm. So far no issues. Glass is very good, the reticle is excellant. Its been consistat and it definitly feel like its built to take punishment. The only things I haven't liked as said earlier the eye box is a little touchy. Not so unforgivingthat it makes shooting achore but it definitly forces you to concentrate on your cheekweld which really isn't a bad thing. The other thing is I'm not sure I'm sold on theturret design. Again, to date, zero issue. It holds zero and tracks well but the turrets just seem loose like there is a lot of play between the clicks and when pushed down to lock they dontalways line up well which not really a big deal but I d find enoying. But for the price I truelly think it would be hard to beat and with an offer like that from scott at liberty I would already be on the phone.

As everyone has previously said, a great scope. I got rid of mine to buy an SS 5-20, but this is a great, great scope. Favorite under $1000 I've owned.

Illuminated reticle pictures anyone?

I got one from Midway a couple months ago. I hated the turrets but thought the rest of the scope was great. Turrets were misaligned and you had to wiggle things to get them to line up. Very slow. Some other people had the same problem. To bad about the turrets. If the marks lined up and the locking caps were more snappy and tactile instead of mushy and wiggly, they'd be the best around.

Reticle is a little fine on lowest setting but you can illuminate it and see things just fine. Glass is great.

I sent mine back for refund. Weaver told me to send it in for repair but I just wanted to go through the distributor for a replacement but got the impression I might be dealing with the same issues again. No thanks. I just think new cool things should work as intended or they shouldn't put them on at all.

I replaced it with a Weaver 3x10 Tactical Mil/Mil for a fraction of the price. Less features but everything works reliably as intended. Hmmm... cheaper scope, more satisfaction in product. Somebody should tell Weaver that when a Customer has their wallet out, they need to finish strong!

Also waiting to see what SWFA has this Spring. Those scopes are living up to the hype.

Does any one know if the turret problem was just on early units, or is the problem ongoing? Has it been corrected in scopes out now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenndapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does any one know if the turret problem was just on early units, or is the problem ongoing? Has it been corrected in scopes out now? </div></div>

I'd recommend just calling Weaver and talking to them about it. They were easy to talk to. I'd say quite a few more people seem to like the scope than not and they immediately offered to fix mine. I just wasn't sure about the intrinsic design but they'll answer that for you. Just deal with a distributor that stands behind the product and will give a full refund if it's not everything you thought it would be.

Eucalypti, You're right, the comparably priced Bushy is mil/moa and the Weaver is mil/mil. The Bushnell (ET6245F) that I was comparing is mil/mil, but not in the same price range. My bad.