• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk to me about my reloading setup

rusty815

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
After much advice and a lot more research, I decided to update my list, this is my final list so there will be no more changes, I just decided to upgrade a few things:

-Lee Classic cast turret press with extra turrets <span style="color: #FF0000">(was a breechlock press, but decided to upgrade since I believe I will be loading for pistols in the future and would like the added versatility)</span>, lee safety prime, lee shell holders

-lee decapping die

-RCBS dies for 7mm-08, .270 Win, 30-06, and 300 WSM

-Lee perfect powder measure <span style="color: #FF0000">+RCBS powder trickler</span>

-Lyman Universal <span style="color: #FF0000">Carbide</span> case trimmer

-Lyman Case prep tool <span style="color: #FF0000">(was lee deburring tool)</span>

-Lyman Ultrasonic cleaner

-Lee safety scale and Gemini-20 digital scale

Now on to the reloading supplies for each caliber:

-7mm-08: Ramshot Big Game <span style="color: #FF0000">(was rl-15)</span>, Barnes 120gr. TTSX <span style="color: #FF0000">(was Nosler E-Tip)</span>, Remington brass, CCI BR-2 primers <span style="color: #FF0000">(was CCI LR-M)</span>

-.270 Win: Ramshot Hunter <span style="color: #FF0000">(was rl-22)</span>, Barnes 130gr. TTSX <span style="color: #FF0000">(was Nosler E-Tip)</span>, Winchester brass, CCI BR-2 primers<span style="color: #FF0000">(was CCI LR-M)</span>

-30-06: Ramshot Big Game <span style="color: #FF0000">(was rl-19)</span>, Barnes 150gr. TTSX <span style="color: #FF0000">(was Nosler E-Tip)</span>, Remington brass, CCI BR-2 primers <span style="color: #FF0000">(was CCI LR-M)</span>

-300 WSM: Ramshot Hunter <span style="color: #FF0000">(was rl-17)</span>, Barnes 175gr. LRX <span style="color: #FF0000">(was Nosler E-Tip)</span> and Hornady A-MAX 208gr., Winchester Brass, CCI LR-M primers (Not sure about switching it to BR-2 primers, will probably switch in the future)

and thats it, thanks everyone for the help and advice, this is definitely going to be my starting setup.

Re: Talk to me about my reloading setup

You didn't mention a dial caliper (the most used tool i have), powder trickler (optional but helps),reloading manual (very important, I don't trust internet recipies). Lee stuff is not the best stuff on the market, but it is perfect for you to learn on. On your bullets, powder and primers that is something you will have to fiddle with to find what works best for you.

Well I have a few calipers that I work with, the Lee perfect powder measure is for trickling (don't know why they don't call it the lee powder trickler so people know its a trickler).

I have a few manuals already, so I didn't bother to list them, I have the Lyman 49th edition, Lee 2nd revised, and a few of the free manuals from several manufacturers, I think I'm ok for now.

Sounds pretty good. You forgot a bullet puller, you'll need it. Also I'd get the Redding trickler, I looked at all the major brands and it feels like it's filled with lead. Very heavy, very stable, near impossible to tip over. I have also heard so-so things about the Lee safety scale. Yes it will work, but for little added money you can get something better. I use a Dillon beam scale and it is very accurate and settles quickly. If you are not using a powder throw and trickling up each charge, spend another 9 bucks and get the Lee "powder spoons". They're little measuring cups with a slide chart that will tell you what spoon will hold x amount of x powder. Makes trickling up a ladder test very easy, you'll only have to trickle 1gr or so to get where you want. I'm still new to reloading as well but it's alot of fun, I find myself spending a little more for the better equipment the first time and am always very happy I did, it makes it much more enjoyable. Also don't worry about staying all red, or all green, or all blue. Who cares, I just get the product that will work best for me even if it's hot pink. Good luck and read those manuals!

Oh and primer pocket uniformers, and a flash hole uniformer if you want to get that picky.

Thanks for the suggestions, what do you guys think about using Ramshot powder for these calibers? I've heard they perform well and are ball powders, so it should meter well in the perfect powder measure.

For ball powders I would look at the Alliant MR2000. It stays in your powder "theme" and I hear good things about it. They also have MR4000 for the big stuff like 300 WSM.

and I'd say don't forget loading blocks, funnel, case lube...

Block, funnel, and case lube all covered
wink.gif

I've used Barnes TTSX rounds in the 7mm-08 and they didn't do very well, so I'm going to give the Nosler E-Tips a try.

I've been looking at the Ramshot powders for a while and really like what I've seen, they seem to perform very well and are very clean, might use the Ramshot Hunter powder for the .270, 30-06, and 300WSM and use the Ramshot Big Game for the 7mm-08.

my rcbs f/l and seater dies are no better then the Lee "RGB" dies , so if get those instead of the RCBS if your looking at cheap dies.

i dont reccomend the electronic scale , it won't be very accurate. Those cheap 20 dollar scales are not capable of the precision you'll be looking for. The lee scale sucks but it does work. That incombination with those dipper spoons might be an effective combination. Personally i'd look into a better scale , RCBS 505 or something.

i didnt see a prime tool on your list , maybe i overlooked it.

ya + 1 primer pocket tool and flashole tool , and case mouth deburr tool

dont forget your shellholders

and a caliper

and... ogive comparator