• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk to me about the 6mmBR round for match shootin

jmichael99

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
Been reading about this round and it really seems like a good round. Very low recoil. barrel life of 2500+ rounds. Cazy easy to work up a hand load. and extremely accurate at 1000yards. I believe i read the best groups shot at 1000 yards were with this round, correct me if i am wrong?

Why would i NOT want to go with this round Vs something else?

It seems like a 6mm round is the way to go for benchrest shooting?

Re: Talk to me about the 6mmBR round for match shootin

I don't think the 6br will feed real well in a lot of guns, without doing some modifications. Other than you may have to shoot a single shot you would be ok.
They are damn sure accurate!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ahorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think the 6br will feed real well in a lot of guns, without doing some modifications. Other than you may have to shoot a single shot you would be ok.
They are damn sure accurate!!
</div></div>

Iv always loaded one at a time..just a habbit. Ever seen a match where you cant load one at a time? Thats they only time i would have an issue

You are right, but just my personal feelings, I want a rig to shoot more than once at a high rate of speed sometimes!!!

Jman,

You should also check out the 6-Dasher. Basically a 6BR with the shoulder blown forward .100 and a 40 deg. Shoulder. Holds most of the 600 and 1000yd. Records. About 150 fps. faster than the 6BR. You won't go wrong with either one. Hope this helps.

Regards, Paul.

They are hell to get to function 100% from a mag. I've tried on several different rigs and have never gotten one to run right. There are a lot of matches where you can't single feed and be competitive. If you're dead set on a 6mm look to 243, 6x47, 6 SLR, or 6 Creed. If not I'd go with any of the aforementioned cases in 6.5 mm.

The 6mmBR and it's derivatives would be an excellent precision tactical competition cartridge......... if you can get it RELIABLY feed from a DBM 100% of the time without fiddling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Why would i NOT want to go with this round Vs something else?

It seems like a 6mm round is the way to go for benchrest shooting? </div></div>

That depends on what your competing in.

The 6BR and its offspring in particular the Dasher stomp on most everything at 1000 in benchrest. Not sure why but it does.

In tactical field matches it will lose to heavier rounds that feed like butter in AICS mags.

Don't folks have good luck getting 6BR to feed from AICS 223 magazines?

The answer is the 6XC,

will feed out of regular AICS mags and will shoot toe, to toe with a 6 mm BR.

105 grain bullets at 920 m/s and 115:s at 905 m/s,

one could push harder but that will take a toll on the brass.

IMAG0774.jpg

Rifle in the center of the pic.

IMAG0771.jpg

Prone, five rounds at 500 meters 60 mm, I pulled one round, the rest are through the eye of the head on the quarter figure.

I think a 6XC is a great match cartridge and the Norma comp ammo will shoot at less than 1/2 MOA.

/CHris

I would look for a 6mm cartridge that will push a 105/115 class bullet 3280fps with out pounding the primer pocket and get 10 reloads out of the brass.
A 31 degree shoulder so it will feed reliably would be nice.
Runs a 2.810 OCL so it fits and feeds from an unmodified short action ACIS mag.
Will shoot 3,000 plus rounds without shooting out the barrel.

If you want a 6BR and need it to feed 100% just get the Elisio R5 and be done with it. If you aren't interested in that setup then the 6XC might be a better choice as stated above, but only if you are needing to feed it quickly.

I am considering changing the caliber in my winchester model 70 (short action) in .22-250 to one of the 6mm rounds. I was thinking 6x47, or 6BR. Anybody have any input on this it's welcome. I would just be using it for informal paper punching and the occasional varmint. I do shoot out to 1000 yards.

I've owned both, and if paper punching and varmints are the primary reason for the build, go 6mmBR hands down. It will not be as reliable as a repeater, but these venues don't really require more than single feeding anyway. Less powder, no forming, dependable accuracy, better barrel life. Win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">U must check out
www.6mmbr.com </div></div>

Oh i have
smile.gif
just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were before i drop coin on anything

I shoot the simular 22BR. I have successfully modified the 223 AICS 223 plastic mags to hold and feed 7 BR rounds. I have modified the steel 10 shot 308 mags to hold 8 with a spacer and custom follower and using a different spring. It can be done. They work fine as long as your ejector is adjusted right. But to say it isnt a PAIN is just BS.

I shoot the original 6X. Its just as accurate for what I do AND it feeds fine out of standard mags. Easy to make too.

good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticalrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering changing the caliber in my winchester model 70 (short action) in .22-250 to one of the 6mm rounds. I was thinking 6x47, or 6BR. Anybody have any input on this it's welcome. I would just be using it for informal paper punching and the occasional varmint. I do shoot out to 1000 yards. </div></div>

6x47L in a repeater gets the job done nicely and in every regard. 115's at 3025 fps. Think of it as a 6 BRX long.