• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tall Tales From Shooting .22 LR That Are Hard to Believe

lash

Swamp Rat
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
image.jpg
image-jpg.6897516
Okay, I'll start. Held that .22 match this past Sunday. We shot various distances, from 25 yards and up including 200, shaving cream cans at 228 and 328. It was intended to be a fun match and I think that it was. We had two junior shooters that participated, which made me happy. We did all kinds of things from tight precision shooting at small paper targets, to dot drills with movement off the rifle after each shot, to pretty common precision rifle barricade stages like roof tops, poles , stairs and broken tables. I few people didn't show because the weather was forecasted to be windy and rainy, which it was. We had shifting winds anywhere from 7-10 directly into the face, to any number of other angles and speeds and we had some rain showers. But our standing match rule is that we don't call it unless it's raining so hard that we cannot see the targets or if there is ground strike lightning (it is Florida after all).

The heavy rain held out until just before the last stage, which was the 328 yard stage, which was supposed to be prone from a tower. With the rain coming in hard and fast I changed it to from a bench. There was still rain blowing in, but it was much less drenching than laying out in the open. We had a number of people that had never shot so far with a 22 make good impacts on the 20" square steel. I shot last, 6 rounds, call your target (Large 20"x20", medium 15" round, small 12" round). When I started, we were almost to the "not able to see the targets point", but I wanted to sling my lead too. First two shots were impacts and I heard the spotter say "They are right next to each other". So I naturally called medium target and shot the next two at that target. Nothing from the spotter, so I called large target and went back and put two more on it. Then I find out that he saw my two impacts on the m,dium target but didn't hear me call the medium target over the din of the rain on the metal roof.

Anyway. when all was said and done, I had three impacts at 328 that were in a quarter size C-C group. I'll post a pic tonight so that you all can at least know what you are calling me out on. :cool:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
I think that I was able to post a pic of the rifle in my post above from my phone.

It is just a stock Savage MK II BV with too much scope and not really fitted to me yet. But fun to shoot nonetheless.

I forgot to answer completely. I was using CCI SV. But I honestly cannot take credit for that completely as I consider it an anomaly. Normal spread at that distance is usually more like 7-10" in all honesty. I think that the wierd weather conditions may have helped by being the distraction that kept me loose. And then maybe having some minimal variation in ammo. All of the good things happening at the same time.

I forgot to answer completely. I was using CCI SV. But I honestly cannot take credit for that completely as I consider it an anomaly. Normal spread at that distance is usually more like 7-10" in all honesty. I think that the wierd weather conditions may have helped by being the distraction that kept me loose. And then maybe having some minimal variation in ammo. All of the good things happening at the same time.

Ok, I thought you were throwing down some real skills................................now you indicate it was just luck......................the air is now out!

I dont think that I could repeat that if I wanted to. Normally the ammo has more variation than that at that distance. I really think it was a fluke, but still couldn't resist posting it. ?

Yes, this rifle is totally capable of placing five in the same large hole at 50. I've done it once, then there will be a flyer. I really am surprised how well it shoots the SV, considering that it's not the most expensive option available. You just have to know that there will be the odd flyers that are not you.

Ok, I thought you were throwing down some real skills................................now you indicate it was just luck......................the air is now out!
Well, I would like to think that skill had something to do with it, but I'm not so arrogant as to expect you to believe I'm that good all of the time. If I was, I should be some sort of national champion or something.

Anyone else have some tall tales of unexpectedly good shooting with your .22?

So you shot 2 at Large- "They're next to each other"
2 at Medium (nothing called)- You ended up with a 3 shot group
2 at large again

Guess the gods of wind were on your side and moved one shot from the large plate over to the medium!

I actually had two hits on the medium plate also. Not nearly as close as these three. And if you think about it, you'll realize that there was a fourth shot on the large plate too. It was about 5" away... At least each shot hit the correct plate, so I have that to fall back on...

3 shots that close, at that distance, with those conditions with a 22 are great! even more so that it was a 2 shot group, and an additional shot after being on a different target for 2 shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danilo and lash
Since we're talking unbelievable 22 feats of strength...

When I was in school, a friend and I both made several hits on a log in a lake with his 10/22. 600 yards on the nose. Pure luck, no doubt, and it took a good 15 shots to get on it. No idea how big the log was, but not small. Still lucky though. Lots of fun too.

Reactions: Danilo and lash
Was squirrel hunting with...an aquaintance. Jumped a deer in the beans and he throws up his iron sighted 22 pump, and fires off one round. The small buck does a nose dive into the beans. Stepped off 106yds to a very dead deer, beaned in the side of his head.
He asks me:
"Is that not the best shot you ever saw?"

"Well, I don't know about that, but it is certainly the damn unluckiest deer I've ever seen."

Nice shooting sounds like a fun match.
My lucky story, was prone on a hill with a concrete pad overlooking a dog town, took a few at 100 and in then put one right in the dome at 169y. That was satisfying but I wouldn't bet I could do it again. Once you get familiar with drop 22s can be lots of fun out to 300+ yards if the wind is calm.

Nice shooting sounds like a fun match.
My lucky story, was prone on a hill with a concrete pad overlooking a dog town, took a few at 100 and in then put one right in the dome at 169y. That was satisfying but I wouldn't bet I could do it again. Once you get familiar with drop 22s can be lots of fun out to 300+ yards if the wind is calm.
I'll admit to enjoying the shooting a good bit.