• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tangent Theta Magnification Ring Issue

Campt413

Somebody
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2019
Upstate SC
The scope is a TT315P. I just recently bought this scope used.

Now maybe this is normal, but for a almost $4k scope it seems like the magnification ring would be much more smooth. It is incredibly stiff. I bought a throw lever for it, which helped, but it is still very stiff.

Also when you turn the ring semi quick it seems to have spots that are not as stiff as other spots and it will make slight "rubbing" sounds.

Another less important issue is that when cranked to the lowest setting, it does not line up with the 3 on the ring. But it will line up with the 15 at the highest setting.

Has anyone ran into these issues before or know if Tangent will fix it?

The stiff adjustment has been documented across a few users here. I have a new TT and it is by far the stiffest mag adjustment compared to the Schmidt and ZCO I have.

I bought a MK throw lever, problem solved for me at least.

They will lighten the tension if you request it.

Some TT are extremely stiff from factory.

Problems with TT, HERESY I say!

Stiff mag ring has been noted by many, perhaps it is by design. Mine while firm does not present an issue in adjustment. I'm sure the factory will fix you up.

@Dthomas3523 - have you sent a TT back in for lightening? Curious to the outcome of that type of maintenance.

I personally haven’t, but know guys who did and were happy.

One TT I owned was extremely tight and I use a throw lever.

My current TT is much better and doesn’t require a lever.

Reactions: chrome
Yeah before I had the throw lever I almost had the grab the ring with my whole hand and turn it 1/4 to 1/3 of the distance. It is tolerable with the throw lever though

I had the same.issue with me TT525P gen 3xr but I kept playing with it and it's now as smooth as a zco. Even the parallax lnob got much smoother. The turrgets on this thing are untouchable. I've seen them all.

Reactions: Campt413
I have three TT315M. One is crazy stiff. Can actually barely turn it using my entire hand. Throw lever helps, but still very stiff.
The other two are firm, can be turned, but not nearly as easily as I would like. My only complaint about them.

I'm sure they will loosen up. You can always send it to tangent theta. I'm sure they will take care of you.

I have the TT315M and it is very stiff. I wish it was as smooth as my ZC4X20.

Just wondering if anyone has sent a TT back to factory to loosen mag ring and if so did they loosen it a-lot and make it nice and smooth.

I asked TT about this once and basically, they err on the side of tighter tolerances with the mag ring because of all the crazy lifecycle testing they do. They do some really nasty things to their scopes before releasing them into the wild and they seem to have concluded that it needs to be tight. It does smooth out a little bit over time, but I tend to use throw levers on them.

Aadmount makes a damn near indestructible throw lever for it.

ILya

Thank"s ILya mine has gotten a little easier but it is still stiff.

Two of my 525 3xrs have the perfect amount of of tension but my third one is stiff. Bought the throw lever with makes it better but have been playing with it so that it will smooth out a bit

I have several TT scopes and they are all tight on mag ring. I threw on a lever from MK and problem was solved.
As you use them. they do break in and get easier to move. I would rather have one tighter then too loose. (that's what she said)
Of all the scopes I have from them I have not had an issue to date with there mechanics.