• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tannerite Makes Pumpkins go bye-bye!

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Took care of the left over jack-o-lanterns from Halloween. A couple of half pound tannerite charges did the trick and permanently affixed grins to the whole family.

The first one:
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid257.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fhh235%2FLoneWolfUSMC%2FVideo%2F100_7416.mp4">

Sarah on the rifle and the boys watching. She was pointing at a chunk of pumpkin falling out of the sky.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid257.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fhh235%2FLoneWolfUSMC%2FVideo%2F100_7421.mp4">

Got to love a woman who likes to blow stuff up.

Re: Tannerite Makes Pumpkins go bye-bye!

So let me get this straight......

A lovely wife who likes to blow stuff up......

And

A Son who's idea of fun is handing daddy snap caps.....

I think I'm begining to hate you.

Sincerely,

Mr. Envy

my friends want to question my integrity when I tell them of how much fun antics like these are.

They just dont get it....

Just an fyi... "In the red exploding targets" is about half the cost of tannerite and is pretty much the exact same thing

I was blowing up Pumpkins yesterday with my Tannerite boom booms. lol It was great, my nephews(5 and 11) really got a kick out of it.. We blew three up with the Tannerite mixture. Then we shot the rest up with a variety of different guns..

Pumpkin chuncks everywhere..

Nice videos..

I think it was last year me and the oldest tore them up with the AK. This year I figured it would be better to get the whole family involved. I was right.

Now that I have a feel for how big a boom the 1/2lb charges make I can up the ante a little bit.

I am going to have to order some from "In the Red" and see what their 2lb charges look like at several hundred yards.

The boys get bored with paper and steel, so sometimes it's nice to surprise them with something different.

In the red is cheaper but they don't seem to be as loud.

We did one with leftover pumpkins a few years ago as well!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wUuwXY8JD8U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wUuwXY8JD8U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if anyone here can shed some light on Tannerite for me. I have heard / read mixed things about the legalities behind it. There are a few shops here that sell it, and I have heard people shooting it out in the desert before. I had mentioned to a friend that I was thinking about getting some and he sent me the info posted below. My question is, can Joe Q Public legally buy this stuff, mix it up, shoot it and have it detonate legally? I would like to try it some time, but don't want to risk anything by doing so. Sorry if this has been covered before, I just thought I would throw the question out here since it follows the topic of this thread.

Thanks for any and all input.

<span style="color: #FF0000">http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_030600.htm</span>

76-10-306. Explosive, chemical, or incendiary device and parts –– Definitions –– Persons exempted –– Penalties.

(1) As used in this section:
(a) "Explosive, chemical, or incendiary device" means:

(i) dynamite and all other forms of high explosives, including water gel, slurry, military C-4 (plastic explosives), blasting agents to include <span style="color: #FF0000">nitro-carbon-nitrate, ammonium nitrate,</span> fuel oil mixtures, cast primers and boosters, R.D.X., P.E.T.N., electric and nonelectric blasting caps, exploding cords commonly called detonating cord, detcord, or primacord, picric acid explosives, T.N.T. and T.N.T. mixtures, nitroglycerin and nitroglycerin mixtures, <span style="color: #FF0000">or any other chemical mixture intended to explode with fire or force; </span>

(ii) any explosive bomb, grenade, missile, or similar device; and

(iii) any incendiary bomb, grenade, fire bomb, chemical bomb, or similar device, including any device, except kerosene lamps, if criminal intent has not been established, which consists of or includes a breakable container including a flammable liquid or compound and a wick composed of any material which, when ignited, is capable of igniting the flammable liquid or compound or any breakable container which consists of, or includes a chemical mixture that explodes with fire or force and can be carried, thrown, or placed.

(b) "Explosive, chemical, or incendiary device" does not include rifle, pistol, or shotgun ammunition, reloading components, or muzzleloading equipment.

(c) "Explosive, chemical, or incendiary parts" means any substances or materials or combinations which have been prepared or altered for use in the creation of an explosive, chemical, or incendiary device. These substances or materials include:

(i) timing device, clock, or watch which has been altered in such a manner as to be used as the arming device in an explosive;
(ii) pipe, end caps, or metal tubing which has been prepared for a pipe bomb; and
(iii) mechanical timers, mechanical triggers, chemical time delays, electronic time delays, or commercially made or improvised items which, when used singly or in combination, may be used in the construction of a timing delay mechanism, booby trap, or activating mechanism for any explosive, chemical, or incendiary device.

(d) "Explosive, chemical, or incendiary parts" does not include rifle, pistol, or shotgun ammunition, or any signaling device customarily used in operation of railroad equipment.

(2) The provisions in Subsections (3) and (6) do not apply to:
(a) any public safety officer while acting in his official capacity transporting or otherwise handling explosives, chemical, or incendiary devices;
(b) any member of the armed forces of the United States or Utah National Guard while acting in his official capacity;
(c) any person possessing a valid permit issued under the provisions of Uniform Fire Code, Article 77, or any employee of the permittee acting within the scope of his employment;
(d) any person possessing a valid license as an importer, wholesaler, or display operator under the provisions of Sections 11-3-3.5 and 53-7-223; and
(e) any person or entity possessing or controlling an explosive, chemical, or incendiary device as part of its lawful business operations.

<span style="color: #FF0000">(3) Any person is guilty of a second degree felony who, under circumstances not amounting to a violation of Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 4, Weapons of Mass Destruction, knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly possesses or controls an explosive, chemical, or incendiary device. </span>

(4) Any person is guilty of a first degree felony who, under circumstances not amounting to a violation of Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 4, Weapons of Mass Destruction, knowingly or intentionally:
(a) uses or causes to be used an explosive, chemical, or incendiary device in the commission of or an attempt to commit a felony;
(b) injures another or attempts to injure another in his person or property through the use of an explosive, chemical, or incendiary device; or
(c) transports, possesses, distributes, or sells any explosive, chemical, or incendiary device in a secure area established pursuant to Section 76-8-311.1, 76-8-311.3, 76-10-529, or 78A-2-203.

(5) Any person who, under circumstances not amounting to a violation of Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 4, Weapons of Mass Destruction, knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly removes or causes to be removed or carries away any explosive, chemical, or incendiary device from the premises where the explosive, chemical, or incendiary device is kept by the lawful user, vendor, transporter, or manufacturer without the consent or direction of the lawful possessor is guilty of a second degree felony.

(6) Any person who, under circumstances not amounting to a violation of Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 4,Weapons of Mass Destruction, knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly possesses any explosive, chemical, or incendiary parts is guilty of a felony of the third degree.

<span style="font-weight: bold">More:</span>

Tannerite
(Not to be confused with the copper oxide mineral Tenorite.)
Tannerite is the trademark for a patented ammonium nitrate-based binary explosive used primarily as a target for firearms practice. Tannerite is unique in that it is exceptionally stable when subjected to less severe forces such as a hammer blow or being dropped. It is supplied as two powders which are combined to produce the explosive.

Uses
Tannerite is intended to detonate when shot by a high-powered rifle. Small caliber rimfire or slow moving pistol ammunition will not initiate a detonation.

Tannerite is used by shooting clubs to provide explosions for their participants in large-scale weaponry demonstrations or other events. Ordinarily, firing high powered machine guns and other rifles will not produce much more than sound upon impact of the round on the target. With reactive targets, these shooting clubs can provide a movie-like experience such as exploding cars.

It is recommended to use 0.5-pound (0.23 kg) of the mixed composition for targets, as "larger amounts may cause a larger than safe detonation, and smaller amounts may not provide the marksman with the optimal blast showing that the target has been hit".

Tannerite detonations occur at a very high velocity, producing a large explosion and cloud. It may be useful for persons who are firing at long ranges; in this scenario, a long-range rifle shooter emplaces targets, retreats to his firing position, and fires. The shooter does not wish to have to walk down range to see if he

It also has uses as a general explosive that can be sold, transported, and stored <span style="color: #FF0000">(before mixing)</span> in the United States without any special permits.

Manufacture and sale
Tannerite is sold in pre-sized quantities for target practice, avalanche control and police use, as well as by the pound.

Since the two components are not explosive until mixed, they can legally be purchased in the USA without a license, as combining the components constitutes manufacturing explosives. Once mixed, the components are an explosive and it is illegal to transport these materials on public roads in a vehicle without proper insurance, packaging and placarding. Storage of the mixed Tannerite is also prohibited unless stored in approved magazines.

Tannerite consists of two components, a catylist or sensitizer and a bulk material or oxidizer. The oxidizer is a mixture of 85% 200-mesh ammonium nitrate and 15% ammonium perchlorate, while the catylist is a mixture of 90% 600-mesh dark flake aluminium powder, 5% 325-mesh Titanium sponge and 5% 200-mesh zirconium hydroxide. Simpler mixtures of ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder are also known to work, but are less sensitive and harder to reliably detonate.

With the pre-sized quantities, the company provides non-sparking polyethylene mixing bottles. As oxidizers and combustibles, the unmixed components still have shipping restrictions. The company's website does not disclose their international shipping policy.

In the news
On January 14th 2008, a man in Red Wing, Minnesota was accused of detonating 100 lb (45 kg). of Tannerite inside the bed of a dump truck by shooting it with a .50 caliber rifle from 300 yards (270 m) away. The ensuing blast could be felt at Prairie Island Nuclear Power Plant, and officials from the FBI, BATF, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, US Postal Service, and the US Coast Guard became involved, along with local law enforcement agencies.

The man, Brian Wesley Childs, was arrested for gross disregard for human life and destruction of property with an explosive or incendiary. Childs has since pleaded guilty to detonating an explosive device and unlawful possession of components for explosives, for which he was fined $2,583 and sentenced to three years' probation; the charge of disregard for human life was dismissed. [/color]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onesureshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My question is, can Joe Q Public legally buy this stuff, mix it up, shoot it and have it detonate legally?</div></div>

Don't think "explosive". Think "fireworks" because that's basically what it is.

However reading your state's law, I would suggest you seek an opinion from your county's Prosecutors Office before proceeding.

I was not able to find any prohibition in my state's law concerning this type of activity.

Tannerite is a pretty well known phenomena. If you attempt to use it to damage property there is a whole slew of local and federal laws that can prevent your circulation in the general public for quite some time.

My daughter loved that vid... And therefore, I need to find out if it's legal in my state (as a firework etc.) I loved the table remains....

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to follow up more on this to see what I can find out. Utah has some goofy fireworks laws too, so that may come into play, but even then fireworks are classified as explosives and shipments / storage facilities are usually placarded as such.

The thing that made me most curious was in the "In the News" in my reply above, the stated the Feds were involved too. That made me wonder about any Federal implications too, not just on the state level.

It kind of seems like it is one of those things that you could be good to go, or hosed just depending on the person that you dealt with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onesureshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It kind of seems like it is one of those things that you could be good to go, or hosed just depending on the person that you dealt with. </div></div>

Or how much and how you use it.

When you start blowing up property you can run into issues.

Very frequently you never hear the back-story on those either. Was the guy under suspicion for other crimes and blowing up the truck was the final straw?

It is classified as a 'binary' explosive is my understanding. Fireworks explode, tannerite detonates, big difference.

So far it is legal in all 50 states as long as it is not mixed and sold or mixed and transported. My guess is in the near future it will be illegal as some dumbass will do something stupid with it even worse than the dipstick in MN. When I read that I actually have been surprised thus far nothing has been introduced either in a state or Fed legislation. Now the laws read IIRC, "as long as there is not malicious intent" it is legal to detonate. As someone else stated it could easily be considered "malicous intent" by an LEO if you are on public land or jeopardizing life or property or 'harassing wildlife'. It is a fine line so far as for legality so think before you shoot! Wrong LEO, wrong place, smartassed attitude and you may well be considered illegal. Just my .02 cents worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

When you start blowing up property you can run into issues.

Very frequently you never hear the back-story on those either. Was the guy under suspicion for other crimes and blowing up the truck was the final straw?
</div></div>

Are you referencing the MN case? If so yes the guy had been convicted of a felony prior, believe it was Aggravated Assault??? He ordered the 100#, mixed it and put it under the gravel box. A friend brought the .50 over. They were trying to prove that he was the shooter. A piece of the truck box lite on neighbors property. Believe it was the 4th of July???? Not wanting to sound anti LE but some of the comments made by local sheriff etc came across as wanting to make an example out of him. Can't believe the dumb shit did 100#'s, especially with a Nuc plant that close. Would have been fun to watch, the video he was dumb enough to take proving it was him was pretty good.lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is classified as a 'binary' explosive is my understanding. Fireworks explode, tannerite detonates, big difference.</div></div>

I have a little bit of experience with explosives as part of my job for both federal and local government. Binary simply means there are two components to mix to make it an explosive compound as opposed to the several components required for some others. Tannerite is still a low-explosive just like many fireworks. It is NOT a High Explosive like ANFO. That is quite evident in the video above. Detonating 1/2 lb of high explosive would have cause quite a bit more damage.

I have blown quite a bit of stuff up with real high explosives and even watched some professionally built car bombs go off (i don't have the certification to build those kind of charges). There is a HUGE difference.

Not going to get in a pissing contest over "past experiences" as I was dealing with 10k# orders of dynamite at a time in my 'past' which was probably prior to your birth or you at least were still teething. Am fully aware of the 'definition' of binary!!! Have experience with anfo also.. My point mainly was the difference between 'explode' and 'detonate'!!! There is a difference!

I'll just go away. Guess I am too old to figure out flippin internet egos!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a little bit of experience with explosives as part of my job for both federal and local government.
</div></div>

Do you really want me to start nit picking what you are posting?

It's far from "Internet Ego" when I have the real world experience to back up what I post. Not only that but I have court recognized certifications to go along with it. Finally the direction you are heading is semantics. The word "explode" and "detonate" are synonyms. What makes a difference is the velocity of the resulting explosion and the damage caused.

Well, there is a distinction to be made.

Explosive material covers a wide range of things.

But detonation has a precise meaning in the field of explosive material. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Detonation involves a supersonic exothermic front accelerating through a medium that eventually drives a shock front propagating directly in front of it.</div></div>

That's distinguished from deflagration: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deflagration (Lat: de + flagrare, "to burn down") is a technical term describing subsonic combustion that usually propagates through thermal conductivity (hot burning material heats the next layer of cold material and ignites it).</div></div>

I I I I I I ME ME ME ME ME

Not going to get into an internet pissing contest as stated above! <span style="font-weight: bold">I </span> have experiences also, just see no need to post them as my 'ego' is long past being stroked and my past is irrelevant and of no concern to anyone on this forum or on the net for that matter!

Now <span style="font-weight: bold">I </span> am done! Argue with yourself if you wish!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, there is a distinction to be made.</div></div>

I agree to an extent.

"Explosion" is a rather broad term that could also be used to describe a detonation. I didn't recall a specific velocity component attached to detonation, but I will have to bust out the manuals and see if that was included.