• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Target Ranging with Reticle

SJTUSMC

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2011
When using mils to range your target in either your scope or your spotting scope. Should you be zoomed in or out on the target to get a proper reading. My gut says zoomed in.....but it has steered me wrong before.

Re: Target Ranging with Reticle

Depends. With a FFP reticle it doesn't matter,use what feels best. With a SFP it's whenever your scope is at it's actual mil reading. Usually at it's highest power,or where it's marked on the power adjustment ring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends. With a FFP reticle it doesn't matter,use what feels best. With a SFP it's whenever your scope is at it's actual mil reading. Usually at it's highest power,or where it's marked on the power adjustment ring. </div></div>

Well said.

Yes, most scopes are marked and that information will be in your owner's manual. Using a scope reticle to range is a perishable skill. This is something that takes allot of practice to be good at and if you don't do it often you lose your accuracy. This is the reason the military is going away from it to some extent in favor of laser range finding. I see so much talk on SH about ranging with reticle but most people have no idea how difficult this can be past 500 yards. At less than 500 yards with a steady shooting platform you should be able to get close assuming you know the size of your target or part of your target.

Beyond 500 yards, if you mis-judge your target size just a little you can be way off on your range estimation and because of the severity of bullet drop at long range, you will likely miss the target completely. I don't mean to discourage people from trying to learn to range using their reticle but understand this is not something you get good at in 10 minutes and if you don't practice it regularly it will be very hard to stay proficient at it.

research your scope, on the vortex 6.5-20x44 the mils are accurate at 14 power