• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target shapes and sizes...

alamo5000

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
At my house I have between 200 and 250 yards that I can safely shoot (235 yard to be exact). The property behind where I am at belongs to a relative, and the land behind that belongs to yet another relative. If I cut down a couple of small trees I could probably get beyond 300 yards, maybe even out to 400 yards that I can safely shoot on without really leaving home. I have several steel plates that I think are all 2/3 ipsc size but I am thinking about getting more steel of various sizes and shapes to supplement those.

I shoot lots of different guns to be honest but for the purpose of this I want to shoot my .22LR out to distance and start practicing that way but still have the option to shoot those plates with an AR or whatever (hence AR500 is a must). I have a new optic on the way so once I mount that up I can go to 235 yards without doing a thing, but I very well might try to make a longer lane just because I can.

I have other places that I can shoot at much greater distances so ideally I could take a few targets with me if need be and make a temporary shooting lanes or whatever (primarily for rimfire but who knows).

The question here is how big of plates I should get, possibly what thickness to get good feedback on, and what shapes are better suited for my goal? By shape I don't mean just round or square, but rather I see round targets with one 'ear' on them and some with two ears, and a plethora of other shapes. The one ear type seem to me like they would rotate to some degree when hit of course depending on how they are hung up. That said I could hang those up with a single post or cheap piece of rebar or something, whereas the ones that have two mounting points typically would need two anchor points.

Above all though, I want to set realistic expectations for shooting primarily .22LR. If I hang a small three inch plate out at 300 yards, that to me is kind of asking a bit much for a .22LR (but I could be wrong because I haven't done it yet). All in all though what would you say are the best size targets for shooting .22LR at distances as described above? Say 50 to 350 or 400 yards... at very least having a variety of shapes and sizes would make it interesting for sure. What is a good rule of thumb to follow when selecting targets as described above?

Reactions: Wlfdg
I like to set up a 10 to 12" at 200yds for sighters. Then have 4", 3", 2", and a 1" for shooting. I set this up for all ranges, large one for sighter, then small one for shooting.
Mark

Thanks for the response. I am still undecided as to how I want to set things up. On my place I can put up plates however I like but on my cousin's place (basically the far back corner of his property) I have to be careful about what I put up there (or rather how I mount it up). I am sure he won't care one bit but I am erring on the side of caution. Basically I want the targets to be removable.

I measured it out and realistically with ZERO work other than keeping it mowed (which is not always the case on his side, not that he would care if I mowed a little bit) I measured off exactly 300 yards.

I definitely appreciate the input but realistically I am still unsure of how I want to do things. I might for the time being just use the plates I have until I can get some shooting under my belt. Of course I've shot tens of thousands of 22LR over the years but just not to anything (yet) over 100yards. On that note I am not certain about tiny 1" targets. I can hit them for sure at 100 but out to 200 or farther who knows. My initial thought is to keep the targets at least 1 MOA or bigger.

Once I get my new optic it probably won't take long to see what I am capable of... I am still open for ideas though.

Id love to berm my yard and have a range at my home lol god that would be nice .dixe cup sized targets all day long and never have to leave the house you have my envy sir .
1597904029074.png

id just make it with smaller targets much smaller targets

Id love to berm my yard and have a range at my home lol god that would be nice .dixe cup sized targets all day long and never have to leave the house you have my envy sir .

Living in the country has benefits. LOL 200 yards/meters is no problem at all and we have space to shoot clays if I want to. I don't know if you picked up on it but I am trying it out (the whole long range rimfire thing). I bought a new optic that is much more designed to accomplish that goal to see how it goes. I literally can do anything I want within that 235 yard window and it can be as permanent as I want it to be so who knows how that will wind up.

As I stated I am always open for ideas. Dream something up (kind of the point of this thread) and I might buy the steel to give it a go. You said you would have smaller targets... but how small and at what ranges? While I can buy plates, that's no big deal, but when you talk about potentially putting out a bunch of them (and how they will be mounted) it becomes a bigger task--- which is kind of where I am at right now.

If I drive about 15 minutes or so I can get to 1,400 on a friend's ranch. THAT is crazy nice. If I win the lottery I am going to have a 2,500 meter lane on my property specifically for shooting. LOL

Reactions: acudaowner
Id have a tent pitched in your friends yard lol he would hate me .

Id have a tent pitched in your friends yard lol he would hate me .
If we really want to we can shoot out to around 2,000 yards on his place. Typically there are people out there either working or hunting or doing whatever so you have to go inspect the property before you start shooting because you are not shooting in the designated lane but rather right into the middle of everything if you want to go that far.

For my rimfire lane I keep debating if the targets with two mounting holes (like in your picture) are better than the one hole hanger types. Again I am getting a little bit ahead of myself and over thinking it. How I plan to mount the plates though matters. I still maintain the place (mowing etc) so I want to keep my life easier in that regards if possible.

I don't have the distance you do but i just sized targets accordingly. Mine are racks that can be moved and/or switched out. Not super portable but easy to move and lightweight. For 22lr use only and are 1/4" steel. Size and shape for each distance keep it challenging but just rotating odd shaped targets make you think based on conditions where the best option to hit is.

Topstrap

I have a bunch of the one hole type 1&2” teardrop style and 3-6” circles. They are mounted on j-hooks and settle straight a few seconds after impact.

I finally got my new scope and got it all mounted up and basically zeroed on my 10/22. I also replaced my optic base with a 20 MOA one. Just basically for fun I put a target out about 210 yards or so (roughly) and I was quite easily banging on a 4" square with little problem at all. It was fairly windy and I wasn't even using 'good' ammo. I was shooting American Eagle 45 grain subsonic but it turned out to not be bad at all.

Now I am going to order more steel plates now that I have a better feel for it. I have some 6 inch ones coming, but now I am also going to probably get 1", 2", and 3" plates. I will try to run them out to 300 yards when I get in the mood to do so which is kind of nice to be able to do at my house I do have to admit. With the ammo I was using today I did the math as well as verified my actual total available elevation after zero and I can get out to 400 yards and with other faster ammo around 475yards.

Let the games begin!

What I am thinking about doing for these small plates, at least for now is to get or make a stand that can hold a 2x4 upright and just put nails in it to hang the targets on.

Another idea is to get a piece of rebar and weld some hooks on it and I can just drive it in the ground. If the ground is uneven or whatever it could work better and still be removed really easily. Plus I could drive it in with a regular hammer instead of using a T post which would require a lot bigger hammer.

It's only for 22LR so I don't need to go crazy. But there is a possibility that I will take the target to other places if I want to get more space so being able to move it is important.