• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Size for 1500-2000 yds

What about the Mandatory cameras you require for scoring?

Hi,

Yea, I am not sure how cameras are required and good enough tools for scoring but cannot be used to see where you hit the color coded score rings.

There has to be something else I am missing and trust me that has been going on today. I went through 500 texts saying the same thing over and over that "I am not following" that it took a 2 minute phone call for me to follow, lolol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Steel head
Shooters going for the center wouldn't have feedback on where they were "missing" if they hit elsewhere on the plate.

-Alex
I’m not picking on the shooters from last match, I’m just using them because the scores are up there.

and yes they all shoot better than me so I’m Monday morning QB this whole thing...you know...the thing that the Hide dies best lol

but if the winner only managed 5 hits aiming for the center or not doesn’t really matter.

if the target was bigger and splatter was seen on steel than a proper correction could be made, to actually center punch it.

What about the Mandatory cameras you require for scoring?
Oh, it would be trivial for judging as long as the color for the center wasn't particularly dark. Contrast in some lighting conditions would make it hard to judge quickly. One issue would be calling corrections and having them reliably hear us. We are usually 30 feet from the shooters and often times in a trailer. Seems likely that it would screw with shooters cadence to have us making calls and we would always be making correction calls within a shooters cone of repeatability so it would probably do more harm than good.

We aren't going to do this regardless cause our targets are barely big enough for repeatable hits to begin with and most matches have smaller targets than us. If someone feels like this is worth trying to do in a match though, I'm always happy to help with logistics.

-Alex

Reactions: jasent
there's this baby...

there's this baby...
Cameras aren't an issue... I make these specifically for ELR matches. Gives us enough zoom to place the cameras well out of the danger zone and they have very low latencies so we can get shooters hit/miss feedback as quickly as possible. Audio feed gives solid feedback and makes watching the feed a lot easier. Not entirely sure how far out they will link up, I haven't tried them passed 4 miles but in theory they should work out to about 11 miles.

-Alex

Attachments

• IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Hi,

What place doesn't have it, lol?

I pack around my own internet that functions no matter what country or location I am in.

As I said though...some of the in the field shoots may have a problem but the established venues have no excuse.

Sincerely,
Theis
Not every venue has internet. Some I've been to you'd be lucky to get cell coverage. Especially a couple thousand yards down range.

Cameras aren't an issue... I make these specifically for ELR matches. Gives us enough zoom to place the cameras well out of the danger zone and they have very low latencies so we can get shooters hit/miss feedback as quickly as possible. Audio feed gives solid feedback and makes watching the feed a lot easier. Not entirely sure how far out they will link up, I haven't tried them passed 4 miles but in theory they should work out to about 11 miles.

-Alex

These things were great to watch at Black Bear. Wish all venues had them.

there's this baby...
Where I shoot they use the SME Bullseye system out to 2k and it's fantastic. Video, screen shots etc. Crystal clear and I'm not a huge tech maven, but it's made shooting longer a ton more doable since the berms are constantly soaked.....even 338 is just digging bug holes with south Florida summer rains every day. Streams to iOS and Android....phones....tablets....really pleased with it.

Reactions: Geno C.
We have 2 MOA plates (square) with 1 MOA hole in the center with a hanging plate behind it. It's a pretty simple concept and it can accommodate shooters with different levels of skill.
I really like that idea.
At the 1 mile match I go to I want to say it's either a 36x48 or 48 square. I got 2nd round with my 6.5 creedmoor and 135 atips. There were some guys slinging 338 lapua and 300prc that missed all 10

What size target are most of you using for 2400-2600ish yards?

I took a couple pokes at my 30” circle last night with my 338LM and 300PRC and had 1 hit and many close misses. Trying to determine if this is a reasonable target size for this distance.

I took a couple pokes at my 30” circle last night with my 338LM and 300PRC and had 1 hit and many close misses. Trying to determine if this is a reasonable target size for this distance.
Plate size is fine is slightly larger than typical Moa neither one of those cartridges are truly Optimum for that distance and Beyond. A lot of it could be not properly having dope, wind skills, and or loading skills( standard deviation). Unless you are extremely proficient and have done lots of elr distances what you are experiencing is quite typical possibly for your skill-set

if you are shooting for fun the target better be larger than your extreme spread, or close to it

if not your starting off at a disadvantage before you take skill and environmentals into it

if your "load" is a 1moa vert load because of velocity alone...your plate should be 1moa or larger or your going to miss just because of the math

then add in your wind reading ability, if your usually with in 2-3 mph with a wind call (if you actually call your shots)

add in 2 mph fluff / target width for wind call bracketing /inaccuracy

in theory that is the minimum size target you should be shooting at if you want hit repeatability

Reactions: m1ajunkie
Plate size is fine is slightly larger than typical Moa neither one of those cartridges are truly Optimum for that distance and Beyond. A lot of it could be not properly having dope, wind skills, and or loading skills( standard deviation). Unless you are extremely proficient and have done lots of elr distances what you are experiencing is quite typical possibly for your skill-set

Oh I'm 100% at the edges of/ beyond my abilities and for sure pushing the boundary of both calibers and my loads. I've reached a point where I'm happy with my performance at 1500-2000 shooting both a full size ipsc and the 30" circle. I've also recently pushed my 300PRC to 2200 on the 30" circle with reasonable success so I'm hoping to push further.

Just want to make sure what I'm shooting for a target is reasonable for the distance, and it sounds like I'm in the ball park.

ETA: Both my 300 & 338 loads have an ES in the 20-25 range, and typically have SDs in the high single digits. I've spent a lot of time trying to improve my velocity consistency but so far this is the best I've been able to achieve.

Last edited:
Practical sized targets so Full IPSC or military style 100x50cm torso plates ,if nothing else who wants to lug more steel around.

Worked well on 1100, 1530 and 1590m but got very tricky at 1790m(cca 1950Y) with .284Shehane tactical rig frst and second round hits on the first three then needed 15 rds to land a hit on 1950Y

1790m target in question.
1655400921636.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: m1ajunkie