• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target stands for steel.

near_miss

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2012
Kentucky
I made these with 1/2" steel tubing for the brackets. I just cut rebar for the rest. Used 2" recovery strap for hangers with a 1/2" hole melted thru. I like the way they turned out. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410646060.566996.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410646079.149631.jpg

I agree and I like them too. Just shot some t-post in my day and thought I would try something else. Also like the way they move a lot.

Good idea! You could probably make a little money building and selling the coupler. People can buy the rebar at their local building supply store.

Great idea! I made them 8" deep and at enough angle they seem to not want to go anywhere, but that would be rock solid for sure!

Target stands for steel.

I could not find grade 8 carriage bolts locally to attach the plates to the straps. Those are standard bolts. Do you guys think that will hold up, or should I order grade 8?

Last edited:
I use conduit in lieu of the rebar for the legs. it cuts down on weight when you're carrying stuff to setup 10+ targets. I also use the concrete forming stakes for the crossbars. these have the holes in them so I can put a pin in to keep the targets from walking if the ground is not level. You can also set up multiple targets on the same bar w/o them coming together.

I like the T-post but if you don't put them in perfectly square to your firing position they'll go side to side on you. Also they're a pain to get out of the ground if you have to remove them for any reason.

Lowe's and Tractor Supply both have grade 8 stuff.
Grade 8 will take a lickin' and keep on tickin".

Since you already have the other ones I'd run them till they fall off.

Yes, wear them out and then replace them with grade 8.

Last edited:
I made hangers for mine so all they do is swing back and forth. It also keeps the ricochets directed to the ground under the target instead of whichever side of the target you hit. I'll see if I can dig up some pics

I made hangers for mine so all they do is swing back and forth. It also keeps the ricochets directed to the ground under the target instead of whichever side of the target you hit. I'll see if I can dig up some pics

+1

I went away from chains because they break. I host competition and bring a lot of people to our range. Its good when its just you or your buddies shooting the target.... but when you line a lot of shooters up to shoot on it you better have something that can take a pounding. My hangers get shot up, but they're relatively easy to make and they can take good bit before they are not serviceable anymore. I haven't had one fail in a competition yet. The only thing that failed thus far is chain and rubber straps...

This how I make mine. This is a 5"x5" target for 500yds. (Yes it's mild steel but at that range my .308 or 6.5cm don't even dimple it.) but the idea is the same I put the angle so if the bullet hits the angle it will be deflected to the side. So far I've never had to fix one. I have several from 300 to 600yds that have been hit several times with no more than scratches. I would imagine at closer range the mild steel would start deforming if they took a direct hit.

7abacc1dbf6afd76f76869aba05e25fe_zps5ef316b2.jpg

Hmm... That is not good! I might should order some to replace eventually. The only grade 8 locally is standard bolts. Carriage head was not available.

The standard bolt would probably be stronger than the carriage bolt. More material on the head to take a direct hit

I like the recovery strap idea... I've heard of conveyor belt, and fire hose, what else is everyone using for hangers?

I don't have any conveyor belts, but one thing I haven't tried yet but have been thinking about is semi tire treads. They come off as thick rubber strips and they're laying all over as I drive down the highway. Just cut em to size and I think they would be good

I like the recovery strap idea... I've heard of conveyor belt, and fire hose, what else is everyone using for hangers?

Baler belt.
It's the rubber/fiber-reinforced belt used in a hay baler.
Tractor Supply and any other farm store has it.

Good idea! You could probably make a little money building and selling the coupler. People can buy the rebar at their local building supply store.

You can get them from here.

Steel Targets and Products by www.handgunsports.com

I make mine. You can pull out the legs to remove any wiggle without the top bolt though.

DSC02101.jpg

I did the "flasher" style and used 2"x 1/4" flat strap.

Just black when sitting there
DSC02098.jpg

Pops up red when hit.
DSC02099.jpg

From the side.

DSC02100.jpg

Last edited:
PVC pipe holder/carrier has worked very well. I made it just long enough so that there isn't much slop room for the rebar to move..... maybe an inch lengthwise. With 5 sets of stands in there, it does get to be a heavy bitch! On the other hand, it makes for a nice compact package for hauling. I also make a point to tie it into the bed so it isn't rolling or sliding around.

Making the pipe nipple rebar holders was pretty easy to do too. Having done a few, I won't be buying anymore welded ones....... Not that those don't work well too, it's just that I can buy the fittings, and assemble myself for much less coin.

fireEMT5,

Great idea in the other thread. After a quick trip to Lowes I have everything all organized now! You are correct that dude is heavy. I may do another pipe so it cuts the weight in half.

I have to get out and do some shooting now! I have had these for a month and never put a scratch on.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412040824.301347.jpg

I bought a set of these at The Bullpup Convetion this past weekend. Ultimate Target stand brackets

They seem like a great solution for having to be mobil where we shoot. Have not had a chance to set them up yet but think these will work great. Using standard 1" conduit I can make them what ever height is needed and still be able to pack them around really easy.

After lots of screwing around and being a cheap ass. I came up with a cheap ass approved target stand that requires no welding or any skills really what so ever to build.
You need: (all of this is 3/4 black or galvanized pipe from home depot or similar)
4x 4" or 6" length
2x street elbows
2x T's
1x 24" ish length of pipe
4x 4ft or 6ft pieces of rebar for legs.

I don't crank the threaded sections tight, that way its easy to adjust height and for uneven ground, and they lay flat during storage/transport.
I haven't managed to shoot one apart yet. Super cheap and easy to assemble. Each piece is around 2$ or so, the rebar being the most expensive part.

Attachments

• 20141001_153105_resized.jpg
    20141001_153105_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Just wanted to show what I did, I posted this in another topic but here goes.

Attachments

• IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 34