• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

target steel ?

ghostinthewoods

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2013
ut
I picked up a piece of steel today label on it reads, hr carbon steel plate q&t400 brnll. Its 3/8. Lady said a guy ordered it for shooting and never picked it up so she gave it to me cheap. I'll be shooting it with a 7mm ultra at probably 800+. Will it be OK?????oh I think I can see a place on the label where it says ar400 too but its kind of rubbed off. Any help would be great.

I made some targets at work out of 3/8" AR-400
They handled .308 at 300 yards. Not even a dimple in the steel.

At long range you should be fine. Faster bullets might put some damage on it, all you can do is shoot it and see....

02.jpg05.jpg
this is my 10 1/2" ar400 plate, and my 18"x24" A-36 humanoid target
the A36 target will be shot at 900 yards only to extend the life of it.
made them both at work
the AR400 plates cost $10 each, and the other was $39

Presume the Q&T is quenched and tempered, and the 400 brnll is a reference to a Brinell hardness (i.e., 400 BHN), which equates to about a 200ksi tensile strength.
Sounds like some ASTM A514 AR400 plate.

Would mounting so it can swing and at a slight angle help?

Absolutely, if there's a little give in the target, or the impact is partially deflected, it will help the targets last longer as some of the engergy is deflected.( although it should hold up to several thousand rounds, unless you shoot it with a .224 bullet at high velocity at close range.
If you can get some used conveyor belt or fire hose to hang the targets with, it will work out better than if you happen to hit the chain hanging the targets. Speaking from experience here. ;)

Here's my steel target I picked up at the junk yard for under $20. It's standard IPSC size at 5/8" thick, weighs 80lbs. Have it hanging by chains from a saw horse. The impacts were from 2050 yards plus with the 338 lapua. It also holds up with no dents when shot at 1200 yards. haven't shot it any closer than that though, I know it's hardened steel but to what point I'm not sure.

Attachments

• 2000 yard shot.jpg
    2000 yard shot.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 9