• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target USA Scope Tracking Tool - Bought one - Pics Added

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
I’m trying to talk myself out of this one. The ability to check scopes tracking and return to zero has got me ready to pull the trigger. I know some folks have made them out of wood and pic rails etc. Anyone got one? The ability to do tall target tests and take the shooter / mechanical accuracy of the weapon system out of the equation is what has me considering. Thanks for the input, I’ve been googling this one for a while.

I use the Badger Ordinance Dead Level. Not as big or heavy but works super well. I could see why this one may be easier (Larger size and weight). Wasn't available when I bought the Badger

Reactions: 6gunner and USMC22
I went with the SAC maintenance tool

Reactions: USMC22
Why would we talk you out of that. It would be cool as shit You could bring it to matches and rent it out to other guys to test there scopes. I would pay 10 bucks to check it out real quick.

I’ll second the point of being confused at to why you’d want to talk yourself out of getting one. I use badger’s dead level but if I didn’t, I’d get one of these. Had no idea that this one existed. Looks pretty cool and is at a good price.

Reactions: USMC22
@Secant I had looked at that one. How’s it working out?
I like it. I was going to get the Target USA model that you are looking at, and then I ran into the SAC Black Friday Sale so I cheap'd out, haha. You can hard mount the SAC it to a table or mount it on a ballhead using the arca cut in the bottom.

In my mind, the Target USA model might be nicer if you are regularly taking it places and/or setting-up and taking down in various spots. I've had good luck with the SAC model even just using a weighted tripod with ballhead, but set-up is kind of a bitch. I might try the Target USA model too down the road.

Plan on building one in my shop using square tubing similar to the Target USA one shown above.

Someone once said "a picture is worth a thousand words".

http://www.targetsusa.com/store/p74/Scope_Tool.html

s136291704728945564_p74_i5_w2560.jpeg

I‘ve got one of these and wouldn’t be without it.

John

Thanks for the input folks, got one on order. Spoke with the owner a couple of times with questions. Very quick responses and advised they aren’t making more to restock at the moment so what’s showing up in the online inventory is what they have. Got the FDE base and Riser. My OCD didn‘t want two tone and they won’t be making more in the immediate future. Will post pics when it comes in.

Reactions: Secant
Hey Guys,

Wanted to do an update as I got the Target USA Scope Tracking tool in yesterday... from Alaska! I mention that because I live in New Hampshire and it only took like 3 days to get here.

First off I want to say it was packaged extremely well. Wrapped in a shrink wrap type material and layered with heavy paper for padding in the large flat rate box.

After opening it up it Is hard to explain how “beefy” this thing feels. Definitely solid and I have full confidence its not going to move when dialing scopes.

I did find a small chip in the steel base in the base despite being packaged so well. Perhaps an imperfection in the process that was missed.

It uses carriage bolts to level the platform. These needed assistance when threading into the base and have a nut to lock in place. Two different size wrenches can be used with the carriage bolt and the locking nut to make very fine adjustments.

All in all I’m happy with it and think it will find a permanent spot on my bench for both setting up scope and doing tall target tests, removing the gun and shooter from the equation.

Attachments

• E14ECA02-B79C-4FCD-B30B-03D65237E737.jpeg
    E14ECA02-B79C-4FCD-B30B-03D65237E737.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 102
  • F1A88303-81A2-40C4-8A9F-DD1AA4707C17.jpeg
    F1A88303-81A2-40C4-8A9F-DD1AA4707C17.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 455B0DBB-A805-4413-BF14-7EB76C6CB25C.jpeg
    455B0DBB-A805-4413-BF14-7EB76C6CB25C.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 108
  • AB919365-212C-46A7-8583-27A66DEE7052.jpeg
    AB919365-212C-46A7-8583-27A66DEE7052.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 199F9BA1-858D-489D-A671-E74166E3DD58.jpeg
    199F9BA1-858D-489D-A671-E74166E3DD58.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 106
  • F2894965-5408-4B9F-8A2C-88582E45B87D.jpeg
    F2894965-5408-4B9F-8A2C-88582E45B87D.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Reactions: Secant and Tono
That carriage bolt system for leveling is no doubt heavy duty, but pretty ghetto. Even a $65 Caudell rest comes with a better fine adjustment system than that. I'll take my verbal beating for it, but to me it's just not what I expect out of 2 flat slabs of steel for $350. That said it looks like a tank could run over it, and you could abuse it as much as you wanted, and it would be fine, and there's something to be said for that! If a 7075 Al version could be machined significantly cheaper it might sell better for those that don't need a nuclear proof version, but there's no doubt you'd have this one to hand down to your grandkids.

I do like the idea of buying it and renting it out to others at a range though, you could probably pay for it quickly enough doing that. If I was a range/club that was looking to do something I can totally see getting something like this that is bulletproof.

The SRC seems like it's had a lot more thought put into it and just seems like a more precise/easier to adjust setup for just the average guy trying to make sure all his scopes are level and track, but you still need to find something solid to mount it too and it certainly would never take the abuse the Target USA one would.

Last edited:
No,

Just ignorance on the subject people are misunderstanding it especially if you Make the mistake and compare it to a Badger Dead Level, two completely different devices for two completely different uses

No,

Just ignorance on the subject people are misunderstanding it especially if you Make the mistake and compare it to a Badger Dead Level, two completely different devices for two completely different uses

Yep, it’s steel. I fixed my post calling it aluminum.

I’m trying to talk myself out of this one. The ability to check scopes tracking and return to zero has got me ready to pull the trigger. I know some folks have made them out of wood and pic rails etc. Anyone got one? The ability to do tall target tests and take the shooter / mechanical accuracy of the weapon system out of the equation is what has me considering. Thanks for the input, I’ve been googling this one for a while.
Did you ever find the TargetUSA mounting fixture? I want one and they appear to no longer be available.

Hey Guys,

Wanted to do an update as I got the Target USA Scope Tracking tool in yesterday... from Alaska! I mention that because I live in New Hampshire and it only took like 3 days to get here.

First off I want to say it was packaged extremely well. Wrapped in a shrink wrap type material and layered with heavy paper for padding in the large flat rate box.

After opening it up it Is hard to explain how “beefy” this thing feels. Definitely solid and I have full confidence its not going to move when dialing scopes.

I did find a small chip in the steel base in the base despite being packaged so well. Perhaps an imperfection in the process that was missed.

It uses carriage bolts to level the platform. These needed assistance when threading into the base and have a nut to lock in place. Two different size wrenches can be used with the carriage bolt and the locking nut to make very fine adjustments.

All in all I’m happy with it and think it will find a permanent spot on my bench for both setting up scope and doing tall target tests, removing the gun and shooter from the equation.
Anyone know where I might buy the TargetUSA scope mounting fixture you have been discussing? Appears they are no longer available.

Anyone know where I might buy the TargetUSA scope mounting fixture you have been discussing? Appears they are no longer available.
Likely going to have to make your own. A few threads on the subject:

I had one and sold it.

I use the area 419 scope mounting jig with a Wilton bench vise mounted to an I beam

Area 419 or Short Action Customs? If it's 419, please send a pic or link. Haven't seen it and I like their products.

Area 419 or Short Action Customs? If it's 419, please send a pic or link. Haven't seen it and I like their products.
Sorry, didn't mean to get anyone excited. It's the Short Action Customs: https://shortactioncustoms.com/product/final-scope-level/

Ordered one of these for the Wilton Vise: https://www.sawtoothrifles.com/product/dependabite/

The Target Sports USA was built like a tank but my threaded bolts would not turn by hand for fine tuning on a target to test a scope. Using a wrench it would move it off and just increased the fiddle factor. I do like the Short Action Customs a bit more. All that said . . . it's one of the lower returns on your investment. Go buy some ammo and get a really solid zero then move on.