• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Taurus Judge ?

Maddyn

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2010
Pac NW, WA
Hey all, looking for opinions on the Taurus Judge, likes/dislikes? recoil compared to say a 357? Looking at possibly getting one, just want to know what others think, if I could find someone in the area with one I'd go try it out.

Re: Taurus Judge ?

IMHO, it's an answer in search of a question. I carry a .357 when hiking in snake country; two rounds of snakeshot and four of full-power mag loads. If you want a shotgun pistol, check out the new Taurus 28-gauge, if you want a pistol in .45 Colt then buy one. For that matter, I'll bet shotshells are available in .45 Colt too, I'll have to check today.
I'm baffled by the enthusiasm for the Judge. They fly out of the shop I work at and I have no idea why.

1911fan

Gimmick gun, had one in the 3 inch chambering for a month and sold it, Smith&Wesson intruduced their version at SHOT in a 2.5 inch chamber version

It's heavy and bulky but in snake country it works well, the biggest version sells like hotcakes and dealers can't keep them in the case.
It's kinda a novelty item and it garners a lot of attention whenever one pulls one out at the range.
It does do it's job quite well.
The 410 magnum shells with slugs is quite impressive.
There is no lack of powerfull shells available for this weapon.
.....SmokeRolls

I believe I would prefer a 44 mag or 45 LC Smith & Wesson or Ruger revolver with snake shot for snakes and it would be lighter to pack.
But no shot shell from a 44 mag or a 45 LC will compare toe to toe with a hot 410 magnum load and you will have more choices for size of shot with the 410.
Something to consider.
...SmokeRolls

Stop being a sissy, an wait for this hombre:

Rossi Trail Judge (.410 Mare's leg).
I hear they are making a modern version of the TV series "Wanted: Dead or Alive" featuring this gun. I'm guessing it will be called:
"Wanted: Dead" cause alive ain't an option.

Trail-Judge.jpg

There was a write up in a recent Gun magazine, most likely Guns & Ammo as that's the only one I get, that had nothing good to say about the Judge. Accuracy was pathetic for the 45 centerfire rounds and the 410 spread was enormous. Essentially you would have to be within arms reach of your assailant for the 410 to have effect and to have an accurate shot with the pistol rounds, not withstanding the trembling you'll be inducing into the sights during a "fight for your life" event. A great argument is "I'll have 2 loads of 410 and 3 of 45lc to erally mess him up".
IMHO, why limit youself to 5 mixed rounds from an inferior pistol for the defense of you home. If you want to give an assailant a "chance" go ahead and get a 5 round shotgun, that way you can expel the 5 and then use the shotgun as a club, else you can shoot five from a pistol then throw it at him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flatbilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMHO, why limit youself to 5 mixed rounds from an inferior pistol for the defense of you home. If you want to give an assailant a "chance" go ahead and get a 5 round shotgun, that way you can expel the 5 and then use the shotgun as a club, else you can shoot five from a pistol then throw it at him. </div></div>

Heard this exact statement over on my350z.com, and your sentiment is exactly what I said there. The Judge is trash, and mixing rounds is just stupid. If I catch a bastard in my house it's gonna be 12ga 00-Buck... pretty sure that would do the job without question. If a person prefers a handgun for home defense, there are <span style="font-style: italic">waaaay</span> better choices.

The S&W Governor was introduced at SHOT.
It will digest 45 LC, 45 ACP and 410.
The frame is an N but the grip is a L size.
It is also available with CT grips.
I think the price will be very close to the Judge.
I have heard countless horror stories about not only the Judge but Taurus revolvers in general. Same goes for their customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flatbilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There was a write up in a recent Gun magazine, most likely Guns & Ammo as that's the only one I get, that had nothing good to say about the Judge. Accuracy was pathetic for the 45 centerfire rounds and the 410 spread was enormous. Essentially you would have to be within arms reach of your assailant for the 410 to have effect and to have an accurate shot with the pistol rounds, not withstanding the trembling you'll be inducing into the sights during a "fight for your life" event. A great argument is "I'll have 2 loads of 410 and 3 of 45lc to erally mess him up".
IMHO, why limit youself to 5 mixed rounds from an inferior pistol for the defense of you home. If you want to give an assailant a "chance" go ahead and get a 5 round shotgun, that way you can expel the 5 and then use the shotgun as a club, else you can shoot five from a pistol then throw it at him.</div></div>
Just my observation and not trying to ruffle feathers.
During a sheriffs qualification that we are required to do each year, one of the deputies brought out a Judge and we played with it and put it thru it's paces.
We tested it at 5 yards (15 feet) which is most likely the distance that this would be used in.
The shot shell placed all shot within a man sized target and would have made an assailant graveyard dead.
The 45 LC loads were center mass and each shot would have been a death blow.
If I were to require a weapon to do head shots at a greater distance then I would desire a more precise weapon but I have to admit, the judge does exactly what it was intended to do,stop an assailant quick and one would not have to be very proficient at shooting to accomplish that.
Will it compare to a full fledged shotgun...no.
Does it do it's job....Yes. And it can be concealed very easily
I have owned some Taurus revolvers and had never had any issues.
The company was started or is owned or was owned by some former disgruntled Smith and Wesson employees last time I heard, so I would think that some of Smith and Wesson might have rubbed off on their weapons.
I still prefer Smith and have owned many and some I still wish I had.
Just my 2 cents.
.....SmokeRolls

Gimmick: Heavier than it needs to be. Bigger than it needs to be. Less accurate than a dedicated 45 Colt. The long freebore leaches velocity from the 45 Colt rounds. Add to these niggles Taurus' recent spotty quality control and piss poor customer service, and the Judge is a non-starter.

I have a 3 1/2" barreled birdshead Ruger Vaquero.
It will digest endless +P 45 Colt loads...wouldn't want to feed a Taurus too many of those.
It will group under two inches at 25 yards.
Shotshells? My Ruger will handle either factory CCI fodder or my handloaded snake loads.
It will also function with multi-ball ammo (similar to the .410 buckshot loads).
And it will do all this while holding six rounds and packing in a space only slightly larger than a K-frame Smith snubbie.

Oh, and as for .410 slugs being "powerful"...they offer far less power and penetration than even moderately loaded 45 Colts. The .410 uses 90 to 110 grain slugs and even the most powerful Brennekes are only recommended for small game out to 35 yards from a full sized shotgun. From a Judge, you're looking at a round about like a 9mm Makarov, or maybe a light 9mm.

I am not trying to say that the Judge is the king over all revolvers or shotguns by any means but it does have some very interesting atributes that make it a worthy weapon when using the CORRECT ammunition and in the right circumstances.
Just doing alittle research into finding out if the Judge is a wimp or not and the data I'm coming up with is quite impressive for what this weapon is capable of with the correct ammunition. Yes it's a hybrid pistol but it has a few areas that it shines in.

This is a fact and not an opinion:
The Federal Premium Handgun 410 000 load 2 1/2" has (4) 9mm sized pellets that weigh a total of a 1/2 oz that have a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps (I would not want four 9mm sized bullets that weigh 1/2oz flying at me in a tight spread at 1,200 fps thank you very much)

Read this:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/01/16/personal-defense-handgun-shotshell-ammunition/

I will admit that I was wrong about the use of slugs in this pistol, they are basically wimps compared to the 45 LC in this pistol. I stand corrected

I do believe that the use of the Federal Premium handgun ammo in OOO is one of the shells that makes this setup work very well in it's intended roll.
I also think that the 410 #4 birdshot with 56-60 pellets is a mean way to deal with wicked snakes and stray dogs humping your prized poodle.
I would say that this pistol falls into the category of the El Camino, It ain't a car, it ain't a truck. It hauls more payload than a car but sucks as a truck.
But it's still cool to see a sharp 1970 El Camino driving down the road going to get groceries. It does what it does and it does it with originality... and alittle bit of attitude.
....SmokeRolls

Thanks for the input guys. would like to shoot one, but I agree there's better tools for some of the things it gets marketed for. Personally the 12 gauge is sitting next to the bed with slugs and 00 buck =)

Elcamino, Hell Yeah, My first vehicle was a 66 Red Elcamino..we called it the "Cruk" for Car-truck... Kinda like the duel purpose motorcycles, off/on road and the old ones sucked at both, newer ones from Husky/KTM and others have made leaps and bounds.. I shot the Judge in 3" at a range in Alabama. Watermellons and milk jugs.. all types of ammo, even the new stuff designed speciffically for the judge.. I strongly reccomend shooting one first before you buy to see if it will work for you. It did nothing for me. I was expcecting performance similar to my .410 shotgun and it was not anywhere near. Maybe snakes at 10 feet but hey std shotshells will do that in a handgun or singleshot shotgun that you gave $75.00 for and stuck it in a scabbord to hang off the tractor.. I do not see the investment unless you have one of those jobs with mega disposable income.. Then why not? If I had to have one I would just wait till the 28ga came out to compare before I dropped my coin...
The Hell Camino ....
George of the Jungle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Georgeofthejungle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the old ones sucked at both, newer ones from Husky/KTM and others have made leaps and bounds...</div></div>

Oh hell yes- I have a 2008 KTM 990 Adventure, and it is far and away the most fun thing I've ever ridden. Used to motocross/roadrace/dragrace bikes so I've got a good basis for comparison. Love my KTM!

1911fan

Sorry for the thread jack... we now resume Judge-bashing. IMHO, if you want one get one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Georgeofthejungle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Kinda like the duel purpose motorcycles, off/on road and the old ones sucked at both.
George of the Jungle</div></div>
I know what you mean there. I remember riding my dads ole 1976 (I think)TT500.....Good gosh that thing was like a military tank with crappy suspension and horrible brakes. He stripped out his rear sprocket about 10 miles from the truck at Livingston KY (part of 100,000 acres of Daniel Boone National Forrest) and I had to pull him out of there with my 81 DR400 and a strap. I pulled him over the big sand stones/ stepping stones..... That was hell, I wrecked more times than my body can count. His bike would hit the big ledges as my bike would be climbing them and it would jerk me backwards and I would fall about 6-10 feet onto hard stone!
Back to the Judge Hahahaha!
Buy it if you want to, or buy you a 44 mag, 45 LC S&W or Ruger and have a fun time...
.....SmokeRolls

i just picked up 2 judge public defenders this past weekend. had read lots of mixed reviews on them but decided what the hell. Got them for 400 and each came with a free box of Hornady 45 long colt.

Some of what I had read said that it was designed for defense in the vehicle. that’s exactly what I bought it for. It stays in my truck and from what I’ve seen and heard, that’s about the max for its effective range on the .410 side of it.

Also I thought it would be good for my wife in the house. she cant shoot worth a damn and i wanted something with a good spread on it that she could just point in the general area down the stairs or down the hall. the shot gun i have is a Mossy 500 but even with the 18" barrel the shot pattern is relatively "tight" in the close confines of our small house and she would still have to aim which i doubt she would in the event she actually had to use it.

Again this is JMO. I by no means think it’s the best gun out there but I feel it will provide more than adequate defense in the vehicle.