• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taylor K.O. Factor

skytrooper67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2023
WNY
Does anyone put any credence in the Taylor K.O. factor Vs bullet Energy charts? The K.O. factor relieves heavy on bullet weight more than velocity. WxVxD/7000. I read one hand example is: Which be easier to stop. A train moving 50 mph with 10 cars or a train moving 30mph with 100 cars. Which has the most momentum. I know its a bad example. This has probably already been hammered on.

Shot placement trumps everything, unless the target is wearing body armor. While some generalizations can be made, individuals react differently to injury- even fatal wounds. I’ve seen deer with double lung hits “fold like a paper bag.” And, I’ve seen them run “a country mile” with the same injury.

All of the metrics devised to compare cartridges fail to account for the two factors above. The purposes for devising these metrics are to sell magazines, drive clicks, and start arguments on line and over gun counters.

TL;DR? No, I don’t put any weight in any of the gun mag “power factors.”

I've killed alot of animals, way more than most (due largely to my geographical location and the fact that I've been obsessed with hunting since I was born), and I can tell you that what I've seen falls more in line with what Hlee said above than anyone's mathematical system. If you pair the right bullet with your expected impact velocity, and put it in the right place, they will usually die quickly. There is so much variability in both individual animals and also what happens to a projectile at high speeds to make this a repeatable equation. Some animals just have more will to live than others. There is a constant though: you pop both balloons or tear through that heart, and it isn't going far.

No. Energy/Hydrostatic Shock/Momentum/DocRDS Secret Formula is all just a guess.

Terminal Ballistics is a complex multivariable system. 1 number just ain't gonna do it.

Paco Kelly did a big write up on this when comparing the effectiveness of 45 Colt +P vs 30-30. The big, slower 45 colt trumps 30-30 in every aspect for "killing power" except trajectory. Also, look at 45-70....those old black powder loads for famous for killing bear, buffalo, horses and men. Would you hunt a grizzly with a 223?

Reactions: MJF
Consideration of target + shot placement = desired outcome.

1685984149456.jpeg

I think body armor would make shot placement even more important. Just ragging you. :devilish:
I’m going to argue that a bowling ball, fired fast enough at your level IV plates, doesn’t need to penetrate to be effective…

But, a bowling ball to the lower leg is less effective than a 223 to the heart (absent body armor). 😈

Paco Kelly did a big write up on this when comparing the effectiveness of 45 Colt +P vs 30-30. The big, slower 45 colt trumps 30-30 in every aspect for "killing power" except trajectory. Also, look at 45-70....those old black powder loads for famous for killing bear, buffalo, horses and men. Would you hunt a grizzly with a 223?
Big, fat, and slow works when you’re constrained to black powder.

No, I wouldn’t take a 223 for griz. But, I’d take a 30 WM over a black powder 45-70.

Frivolous arguments on the internet. Gun-rag power factors strike again…