• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC Direct thread vs CB Brake

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I am getting ready to order a TBAC Ultra 7 or 9 from Mile High. It will be used on a bolt action .308 and bolt action .22-250. Both rifles are getting threaded next week 5/8-24. Is their an advantage of the compact brake over a direct thread. Neither rifle needs a brake for recoil in my opinion. Unfortunately both rifles will still be shot unsuppressed some which is why I am a little unsure on the CB version. My only experience with a brake is an Area 419 Bellaire which is great for recoil but obnoxiously loud.

I run DT. Contemplated going to the CB brake but a few things kept me away. The cost of needing a brake for each rifle and reports of guys getting the brake stuck on the can and unable to remove the suppressor from the rifle.

There have been guys on here who have had these issues and eventually just left the brake on the can it was stuck on and used it as a DT can

I use mine for precision guns and don’t run a ton of rounds through it without checking to be sure it hasn’t come loose.

The clear advantage of the brake is not needing to run adapters for 1/2-28 or not being able to run on other thread pitches. Simply purchase the brake for that thread and your good to go

Brakes can also work as a blast baffle. Saving some wear on the can itself

It’s also been claimed to be more repeatable with the brake when removing and reinstalling the can. More surface area vs the shoulder on the barrel. I haven’t seen any issue with repeatability with the DT to give me the impression I’d benefit from CB

Last edited:
Reactions: Secant
Also bear in mind that the DT is just the standard CB model with a CB glued into it. If you really decide to go the CB route down the road, you can just do the work to get the original CB out, then put it on the rifle.

Not recommended by the mfg, etc etc

Easiest thing to do is the hellfire system. All you need is the adapter for each rifle. You can switch from brake to suppressor in seconds. Watch the video in the link. It’s a sweet setup.

I like the mounts better than direct thread, never have to worry about damaging the crown or finer threads on the barrel through handling or cross threading. If I will also shoot unsuppressed and don't want the overly loud break, I go flash hider instead.

Reactions: ddavis

Easiest thing to do is the hellfire system. All you need is the adapter for each rifle. You can switch from brake to suppressor in seconds. Watch the video in the link. It’s a sweet setup.
I have that on my .308 AR-10 and 6.8 SPC II AR-15 right now. I just swap the one Hellfire brake between the two gas guns. They will be replaced with a Rugged M2 brake once my Rugged Radiant gets released hopefully this year. I have thought about going way with the 2 bolt guns as well. Just doing the suppressor mount on their universal adapter. With that I am thinking I can switch from suppressed to straight barrel with the thread protector over the universal adapter. Which version of the TBAC would be best for that route?

I have that on my .308 AR-10 and 6.8 SPC II AR-15 right now. I just swap the one Hellfire brake between the two gas guns. They will be replaced with a Rugged M2 brake once my Rugged Radiant gets released hopefully this year. I have thought about going way with the 2 bolt guns as well. Just doing the suppressor mount on their universal adapter. With that I am thinking I can switch from suppressed to straight barrel with the thread protector over the universal adapter. Which version of the TBAC would be best for that route?
CB, as you’ll use the Area 419 adapter in the suppressor, rather than a CB brake on the rifle.

HI guys - I'm at a bit of a loss...if adapting to diff threads isn't a requirement, what does the 419 adapter do that the CB from TBAC doesn't??

Seems rather the same.

I ordered an ultra-7 from Milehigh and its in jail now. I ordered with CB and Milehigh did say that 85% of the TBAC's they sell are in the CB config....so, being totally ignorant on the subject, I went with it.

I will not be switching this between guns.....any reason to not just use the CB?

I can’t believe anyone runs anything other than the 419 system at this point.

It’s so much easier from a usability standpoint. Don’t have to have a gunsmith time the brake (or use crushwashers, big no no with cans anyway), easier to swap between rifles, cheaper to swap between rifles, switch to a brake whenever you want, best return to zero/POI shift on the market bar none, the list goes on.

Also just as an aside… “won’t be switching between guns” are famous last words when it comes to suppressors.

HI guys - I'm at a bit of a loss...if adapting to diff threads isn't a requirement, what does the 419 adapter do that the CB from TBAC doesn't??

Seems rather the same.

I ordered an ultra-7 from Milehigh and its in jail now. I ordered with CB and Milehigh did say that 85% of the TBAC's they sell are in the CB config....so, being totally ignorant on the subject, I went with it.

I will not be switching this between guns.....any reason to not just use the CB?
Area 419 system allows you to mount other suppressors (TBAC, SiCo, Dead Air, suppressors with 1-3/8 x 24 rear threads) to their muzzle devices. It’s also nice since when you mount your can to their muzzle devices they are left hand thread… so whenever you removed your can from the muzzle device it will NEVER twist off with you can since it will be tightening on the barrel when loosening. The area 419 muzzle devices are self timing as well.. no need for shims and such.

being so deep into the suppressor world now I wish I would’ve done the area 419 from the get go… but I have so many CB mounts and guns already all set up, I’m too lazy to switch over.

Last edited:
Area 419 system allows you to mount other suppressors (TBAC, SiCo, Dead Air, suppressors with 1-3/8 x 24 rear threads) their muzzle devices. It’s also nice since when you mount your can to their muzzle devices they are left hand thread… so whenever you removed your can from the muzzle device it will NEVER twist off with you can since it will be tightening on the barrel when loosening. The area 419 muzzle devices are self timing as well.. no need for shims and such.

being so deep into the suppressor world now I wish I would’ve done the area 419 from the get go… but I have so many CB mounts and guns already all set up, I’m too lazy to switch over.
Thanks for the reply. Makes perfect sense. I'll look into it whenever my can is sprung from jail.

Cheers

The TBAC cans are awesome. Their peal washers are the Devil's spawn. I use the 419 system as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 65x55guy
The TBAC cans are awesome. Their peal washers are the Devil's spawn. I use the 419 system as well.
I hate pearl washers and use a shim kit instead.

419 is nice, and saying you will not use the suppressor on different rifles is unlikely to last. But, if you really get the bug you will end up with a suppressor for each rifle. I like not having one mounting system, my two TBAC are both 6.5mm and I will never accidentally put one on a .30 rifle, because the mounts are different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
I use the SR system, not the CB, but either way, I really prefer this sort of mount vs. direct threads for durability reasons alone. There's something about repeated spinning a can on and off those fine (and quite possibly dirty) threads that gives me the heebie-jeebies. That being said, there are plenty of people who shoot way more than I do and who prefer direct threads.

Strongly agree with the comments about using shim kits vs. peel washers. I've got ones from Surefire, Griffin, Strike, and YHM in the parts box, and they all seem to work fine.

A Hellfire adapter is 40 bucks vs 125 for a cb mount. Buy one CB suppressor mount and 40 dollar adapters for all your rifles. If you really are gonna leave it on one rifle it really doesnt matter what system you go with.

A Hellfire adapter is 40 bucks vs 125 for a cb mount. Buy one CB suppressor mount and 40 dollar adapters for all your rifles. If you really are gonna leave it on one rifle it really doesnt matter what system you go with.
The TBAC CB comes with a break, my last extra TBAC brake was 96 shipped.

To convert to hellfire for a second rifle wouldn't it be an adapter and 2 mounts?

Seems rather the same.

My Ultra 7 was constantly coming loose on the CB brake. At matches I made sure to tighten before every stage and kinda scary how often there was very little torque on it after a few rounds. The times I Overtighted, I just took the CB brake off with it when I tried to remove.

I switched to the area419 system and haven’t had a problem since.

Reactions: Baron23
Yes it would take 2 adapters. 100 for a mount, 40 each for the adapter. If you got em for 96 its cheaper than what I have seen, but fair enough.

Mines still waiting for approval, but I’ll be putting locktite on the break to make it DT.
Yeah yeah…. I’m stuck in my ways.

The ultimate universal adapter IS a threaded muzzle. No need to pay for a threaded adapter to be secured to your threads.

I have one CB mounted Ultra 7. It's ultimately turned into a DT after the brake has gotten stuck so many times. I got tired of smearing antisieze on it and getting the paste everywhere. Ive just left the CBA in it and it's effectively a DT model now. I have an Ultra 5 DT that has been drama free. An Ultra 9 DT in jail and a 338 Ultra in jail.

Order a CB for your one rifle and one suppressor. If it's a PITA, just leave the brake in the can and viola, you have a DT model.
How do you like the ultra 5? I wear ear plugs even shooting suppressed but like the recoil reduction and not blowing up the woods when I go hunting. I have an ultra 7 but one rifle doesn't have a suppressor... I guess I could just swap them because I can't shoot two rifles at one time but hey the more suppressors the better. Wondering if the ultra 5 is worth it or just get another ultra 7

How do you like the ultra 5? I wear ear plugs even shooting suppressed but like the recoil reduction and not blowing up the woods when I go hunting. I have an ultra 7 but one rifle doesn't have a suppressor... I guess I could just swap them because I can't shoot two rifles at one time but hey the more suppressors the better. Wondering if the ultra 5 is worth it or just get another ultra 7
Dominus!! Shorter than the 7.. little longer than the five. Diameter a smidge bigger than both. Quieter than both

Sounds like I want to go with the Area 419 system and a DT Ultra. Now to decide on the Ultra 7 vs ultra 9. I like the SR system if I ever buy a suppressor for my .338LM.

Sounds like I want to go with the Area 419 system and a DT Ultra. Now to decide on the Ultra 7 vs ultra 9. I like the SR system if I ever buy a suppressor for my .338LM.
SR system is only available on TBAC’s Dominus and 338 (at this moment).. The SR silencers system is not compatible to be used with Area 419, only the regular ultra’s are.

The Dominus is shorter than the Ultra 7 but a little wider… it is quieter though.

In my opinion if you’re planning on getting the 338 ultra sr system. I’d go Dominus sr that way I’d have compatibility but you could also go just regular 338 ultra and run the area 419 system with all the ultra cans.

if planning on getting the 338 I’d go either ultra 7 or Dominus.. cover your spectrum length wise

Reactions: Huskydriver
SR system is only available on TBAC’s Dominus and 338 (at this moment).. The SR silencers system is not compatible to be used with Area 419, only the regular ultra’s are.

The Dominus is shorter than the Ultra 7 but a little wider… it is quieter though.

In my opinion if you’re planning on getting the 338 ultra sr system. I’d go Dominus sr that way I’d have compatibility but you could also go just regular 338 ultra and run the area 419 system with all the ultra cans.

if planning on getting the 338 I’d go either ultra 7 or Dominus.. cover your spectrum length wise
The .338 requires the Sidewinder system where my other rifles use the Hellfire system. Those are not compatible with each other. My .338LM has a Badger FTE brake on it now that works very well

I bought an Ultra 9 CB, and then decided that the CB brake sucks and I would rather have the option of running the brake I want, which isn't always the Hellfire one, so I asked them and they told me to just loctite the CB into the can and run it as direct thread.

The area 419 system was tempting, but then stuck in that system and I wanted try out other brakes.

The .338 requires the Sidewinder system where my other rifles use the Hellfire system. Those are not compatible with each other. My .338LM has a Badger FTE brake on it now that works very well
Shows right on their website you can run the hellfire system on the 338 ultra with area 419

It doesn’t need to be the sidewinder system. However I can’t seem to find a muzzle brake that’s 338 cal for the hellfire. Maybe call and ask them? But then again why shoot unsuppressed ever again lol

I'm really happy with the Ultra 5. I bought it specifically for a hunting rifle. One year I shot two does in a sitting and my ears were ringing. I don't hunt unsuppressed anymore. And I don't walk around the woods all day with ear pro on. Since then I've used it on 6.5 Grendel hunting rifles, .223 bolt guns, gas guns, even a 24" 308 bolt rifle. But I do already have an Ultra 7. And if you're the person that wears ear pro with an ultra 7 then you're going to find the 5 a little barky.

The DOMINUS-K would be pretty sweet but the ultra 5 is a good suppressor
Awesome feedback thank you

Reactions: reubenski
I want to echo what Old Man with Gun said because I think it solves the Maelstrom's dilemma.

It's the solution I went with.

Given the popularity of brakes, no one ever mentions the flash hider option. It's like they don't exist. Some of TBAC's vendors don't even list it as an option.

But it is an option!

If you find your suppressor and don't see the flash hider listed, a phone call can get you squared away.

The advantage is that the flash hider's not as loud as a brake. The down side is that it kicks more. That's not really too much of a down side for all applications.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
I think I will go with the Area 419 Suppressor Adapter that way when I don't run the suppressor I can have it as just the straight barrel. I already have a Hellfire Brake on my AR-10 so all I will need it a couple Universal Adapters and thread protectors then I should be good to go when the suppressor finally arrives late next year.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
CB TBAC of the length you want. Then get the 419 adapter. Sell the brake if it comes with one. If you get the DT you'll either need to remove the CB which sounds like a PITA or run the 419 DT adapter which sticks out. I run the 419 CB adapter on my TBAC Ultra 5 & 7 and love them.

Shows right on their website you can run the hellfire system on the 338 ultra with area 419

It doesn’t need to be the sidewinder system. However I can’t seem to find a muzzle brake that’s 338 cal for the hellfire. Maybe call and ask them? But then again why shoot unsuppressed ever again lol

edit: appears there is a Hellfire for 338 now that somehow I either didn't see or was added. 2port Hellfire covers 9mm. Would be nice for a 46bore since there are adapters for those thread pitches already.

Last edited:
I have a Ultra 7 waiting for approval. It is DT, 5/8-24. I have one barrel with the 5/8 thread already and one with a 1/2-28 I will want to move between. Would I be better off with? I know I can have the Ultra changed to a CB mount. Which way should I go?

On the expert advice of my riflesmith Spartan Precision, I opted for TBAC. Marc explained that they excel in incredibly precise geometry and zero runout. When I spoke to TBAC about mounting options, they explained that in order to take advantage of their design, best alignment is obtained by utilizing the CB brake. The cone on the brake forces the suppressor into perfect alignment, whereas direct thread simply relies on the muzzle crown to do a good job.

Wouldn't CB be subject to the same potential alignment "issues" of direct threading?
Right.

You still have to shoulder up two surfaces, and relying on both shoulders to be as square as possible.

I don't see how the taper on the CB brake can offset a misalignment between two shoulders that aren't square to each other.