• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC flash hider vs muzzle brake

ColtSAA.45

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2017
Beaufort, SC
I’m looking for some guidance on TBAC’s CB suppressor mounting system. I just bought an Ultra 7 CB suppressor (waiting on form 4). I have the included muzzle brake in hand and I can mount it on my rifle. I am going on an elk hunt next month and will be using this rifle. As such, I’m hesitant to mount the brake and use it because I never use ear pro when hunting. I am looking at buying the CB flash hider instead. This would be appreciable for hunting when I cannot use a suppressor (due to legality).

My questions about the flash hider over the brake are:
-Does a flash hider negatively effect wear on a suppressor as opposed to a brake?
-Is a flash hider inherently less accurate than a brake?
-How does the TBAC CB flash hider compare to the brake? I see that the majority of shooters mount the brake and it’s difficult to find pics of the TBAC CB flash hider.

Here is a pic. Accuracy may depend on the rifle, wear should not be an issue.
0C2B433A-3272-4871-BAA3-369412C904DB.jpeg

I saw no change or loss of accuracy with my flash hider to brake. I use the brake all the time now and haven’t had any issues regarding accuracy. I will say the brake is pretty gnarly though haha

If you are concerned about the noise, the brake will be louder than the flash hider but how much will you notice when you have a trophy elk in the scope?? Only you can determine if one would be better over the other(both will be loud without ear pro or the suppressor).

Now for the durability concern… a brake is regarded as being a sacrificial baffle for the suppressor. If this suppressor will be on a hunting rig that only sees slow fire intervals and a handful of rounds a year then you won’t have a concern with either mount choice. Follow TBAC’s recommended barrel length spec’s for caliber and don’t mag dump it on a AR and you will be fine.

Maybe @Zak Smith will chime in with official explanation of if the flash hider is that much more destructive on the baffles of their cans on bolt guns utilizing slower rate of fire but high annual round counts.

If you are concerned about the noise, the brake will be louder than the flash hider but how much will you notice when you have a trophy elk in the scope?? Only you can determine if one would be better over the other(both will be loud without ear pro or the suppressor).

Now for the durability concern… a brake is regarded as being a sacrificial baffle for the suppressor. If this suppressor will be on a hunting rig that only sees slow fire intervals and a handful of rounds a year then you won’t have a concern with either mount choice. Follow TBAC’s recommended barrel length spec’s for caliber and don’t mag dump it on a AR and you will be fine.

I definitely wouldn’t be concerned with the noise aspect when an elk comes out and have no issues shooting without earpro with crowned muzzles and flash hiders. I do that all the time. I only have a couple muzzle brakes on target rifles and I think that it would be pretty brutal without earpro. I have one AR with a sure fire brake that I bought the surefire warden specifically for hunting.

Durability wise, this rifle is not only a hunting rifle but is my primary long range rifle as well. I plan to send a lot of rounds through it.

I definitely wouldn’t be concerned with the noise aspect when an elk comes out and have no issues shooting without earpro with crowned muzzles and flash hiders. I do that all the time. I only have a couple muzzle brakes on target rifles and I think that it would be pretty brutal without earpro. I have one AR with a sure fire brake that I bought the surefire warden specifically for hunting.

Durability wise, this rifle is not only a hunting rifle but is my primary long range rifle as well. I plan to send a lot of rounds through it.

You must hate your hearing...

Meh… the government’s cost me a lot of my hearing already between MG’s, demolitions, and jet engines. A few shots a year on animals isn’t gonna cost that much more

Yeah that will certainly fuck your hearing up.

I always cringe when people take avoidable risk with hearing damage. It's so easy to protect something that's otherwise gone once you lose it. But if it's already gone and you don't care about what's left, then by all means...

To answer your original questions, I can't imagine there's any appreciable difference in wear between the two muzzle devices. Not any that you would notice anyways without a ton of shooting. All things equal, precision should be the same as well - though the muzzle brake and it's extra recoil mitigation will help mask any deficiencies of the shooter better.

What is the specs of the rifle in question?

I have a .30 ultra 7 that has been ran fairly hard at times on a 8” 300blk(CB brake) and also a 18” AR which is my “spr or dmr” style rifle and it has the CB flash hider on it. Those two guns are probably the hardest on the suppressor as the other guns i use it one a 26” 6.5 creed and a 28” 30-06. I clean my cans once every year and i have been able to observe no visible damage to the naked eye. This is after thousands of rounds combined through my guns. I just last year got a .264 ultra 7 that helps split the load on my 18” AR and 6.5 creed.

I would definitely take @Zak Smith words to be the gospel on this matter but honestly you will be fine either way you go.

Yeah that will certainly fuck your hearing up.

I always cringe when people take avoidable risk with hearing damage. It's so easy to protect something that's otherwise gone once you lose it. But if it's already gone and you don't care about what's left, then by all means...

To answer your original questions, I can't imagine there's any appreciable difference in wear between the two muzzle devices. Not any that you would notice anyways without a ton of shooting. All things equal, precision should be the same as well - though the muzzle brake and it's extra recoil mitigation will help mask any deficiencies of the shooter better.
Yeah I wouldn’t say I don’t care about my hearing. That’s the reason why I’m getting a suppressor in the first place. I just may need to rarely shoot without suppressor or earpro.

Reactions: kthomas
What is the specs of the rifle in question?

I have a .30 ultra 7 that has been ran fairly hard at times on a 8” 300blk(CB brake) and also a 18” AR which is my “spr or dmr” style rifle and it has the CB flash hider on it. Those two guns are probably the hardest on the suppressor as the other guns i use it one a 26” 6.5 creed and a 28” 30-06. I clean my cans once every year and i have been able to observe no visible damage to the naked eye. This is after thousands of rounds combined through my guns. I just last year got a .264 ultra 7 that helps split the load on my 18” AR and 6.5 creed.

I would definitely take @Zak Smith words to be the gospel on this matter but honestly you will be fine either way you go.
It is for a 24” 6.5 creedmoor

It is for a 24” 6.5 creedmoor
My personal opinion…. If you have a need to mitigate flash for shooting without the can then the flash hider would be a benefit to you, if not, I would run the brake.

If you are going to hunt without ear pro do not go with a bare brake. Use the flash hider. Accuracy and wear won’t change.

You’ll only have to pull the trigger on a braked rifle w/o ear pro one time to learn you never want to do it again.

Reactions: DJL2 and AllenOne1
Why not just save your brake for when the TB shows up and in the mean time just roll with a thread protector. Cost is way less of you don’t have it already, be fine for one hunting season.

Reactions: johnhefley
Why not just save your brake for when the TB shows up and in the mean time just roll with a thread protector. Cost is way less of you don’t have it already, be fine for one hunting season.
That’s what I will do for the time being. The reason for wanting a flash hider is that I may need to hunt with the rifle sans suppressor occasionally. For example, I may be forced to move to California in the next couple years.

That’s what I will do for the time being. The reason for wanting a flash hider is that I may need to hunt with the rifle sans suppressor occasionally. For example, I may be forced to move to California in the next couple years.

Why don't you look into the Area 419 adapters?

The Hellfire suppressor mount screws into your CB can and you put the universal adapter on your barrel. Buy more universal adapters to use one can on multiple rifles.

Why don't you look into the Area 419 adapters?

The Hellfire suppressor mount screws into your CB can and you put the universal adapter on your barrel. Buy more universal adapters to use one can on multiple rifles.
Don't wanna put words in OP's mouth, but for me the reason would be you put one muzzle device on your rifle and you leave it there... the suppressor goes on, it goes off, and you just leave the flash hider or brake in place, enjoying the benefits, without having to swap to and time the damn thing every time you take the suppressor off.