• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TBAC for a comp gun

Lawnboi

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2019
WI
Got lucky and it’s time to order another thunderbeast. I currently have an ultra 7, and in jail I have a magnus CB.

I just shot my first match suppressed with the ultra 7 and am giving up on brakes. Sick of the noise and concussion. Have a few questions on options specifically looking for input from competition shooters.

-CB or SR? Iv been passing around the ultra 7 quite a bit, I havnt had any problems with the CB but do tighten it regularly if needed, when it gets hot and cools quick. I also notice on higher round counts I really fill up the threads with carbon, just more cleaning but the SR mount has some appeal in that regard. Is the SR mount worth not having to worry about your can loosening during day a prs match?

-I’m currently thinking of getting another ultra 7, with a 6.5 baffle stack or going with a magnus SR to dedicate to my heavier competition guns that see more round count.

Passing around the ultra 7 is getting old, especially swapping rifles that have significantly different muzzle pressure. Every time I shoot it on my shorties it seems to make a lot of big carbon chunks, that sometimes end up in the chamber. I’ll have some redundancy with the magnus cb and ultra 7 if something were to happen, but having another ultra 7 to pass around the hunting guns it rides on would also be nice.

-Recoil on a heavy comp rifle. Do you notice a difference between the magnus and ultra 7 on a heavy comp gun, mostly 6 and 6.5mm flavor? Is the impulse different enough to warrant the price for another magnus?

Thanks.

Personally I would do a dominus Sr but def Sr over the cb if you want to be able to quickly move the can from one host to another with less of a chance of it carbon locking on you

so even the ultra 9 vs the ultra 7 on my buddys 20lb 25x47 has a noticeable difference in felt recoil. The 9 is much more pleasant. The difference between my ultra 9 and my Magnus sr is noticeable on my dasher. You’ll definitely notice a difference between the U7 and the magnus. Definitely go SR tho.

I guess I didn’t consider the dominus SR as well.

Probably going to shoot a 22” 6 creed next season.

Dominus should certainly be a consideration.

If it's mostly for matches, having the maximum suppression is probably not going to matter, given that 100-200+ other shooters will be blasting away around you with obnoxious brakes. While I don't have a Dominus, I have a suppressor of very similar size (comparable length & OD), and it's been great for shooting including PRS matches. I'm not left wanting anything more when it comes to suppression - especially given how loud a PRS/match environment is.

Magnus makes sense if you have any plans on wanting to use it on any .30 cal magnums you have as well from time to time. Nothing will suppress better in that category (except perhaps a .338 Ultra). It's a big suppressor though. Extra length does make it a bit more cumbersome to move through windows and port holes, though it's manageable. Just something to think about.

No comment on CB vs. SR - I don't have either so no experience with those mounting systems. SR makes sense for extra retention if you feel like you need it.

I hear you on the noise at a match, I know I’ll still need to wear ear pro, probably doubled up.

My only hang up on the dominus sr is that it has such a long barrel length restriction for magnums, would like a little overlap if I was ever going to get into any longer range matches.

Recoil impulse would also be a consideration going from dominus to magnus. If anyone has any input

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
I hear you on the noise at a match, I know I’ll still need to wear ear pro, probably doubled up.

My only hang up on the dominus sr is that it has such a long barrel length restriction for magnums, would like a little overlap if I was ever going to get into any longer range matches.

Recoil impulse would also be a consideration going from dominus to magnus. If anyone has any input

The Magnus is the answer if you want to also use this can on larger/magnum cartridges in the future. Just keep in mind the trade-off in length that you will be making to gain that versatility.

No idea of recoil impulse of the two, especially in comparison to each other, I have not shot either can. Would be curious to hear what others have to add in that regard.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I've had an Ultra 7 CB .30 gen 1 since 2016ish and my next suppressor will probably be a Dominus HUB with Rearden Atlas or Q Plan B on Rearden brakes. I've shot some friends Dominus CB, Dominus SR, and Dominus K SR's and they are awesome as far as performance. I like the Plan B/Rearden mounting system the best of everything I've used. I have two can's I use them on and despite being heavy cans have been 100% consistent shift and I don't have to tighten them like my CB's or clean the threads.

I shot many matches with my 7CB on everything from 223 DMR rifles to 6mm/6.5mm's and 300's. The only time I ever had a major issue with the mount was from dirty threads and carbon and it was on a 24" 300WM which has a bit of muzzle pressure. Once I cleaned the threads and mating surfaces good it was fine but it still fucked me for half a day almost and I still had to snug it after each stage. On a 24-26" 243, 6CM, 6.5CM or 6.5x47L I never had an issue. I'd start the day with clean threads, snug it after the first stage and never had to touch it after that.

You're going to have carbon chunks with some setups no matter what can it is, that's just the nature of the beast with shorter than optimal barrels.

Recoil will be about the same, it's going to have a little more than a straight brake.

If it's strictly for a comp rifle I would go for the shortest and lightest I could get since those rifles are already stupid long and heavy. You still have to wear earpro so being a few DB quieter really isn't an advantage. Ultra 5 with HUB mount would be pretty tits. 5" and 6oz and it's completely modular with the HUB. You can do Plan B/Rearden, you can get a CB adaptor from ECCO to run on your CB brakes, or you can even use a DT adaptor or any other Omega style mount.

Reactions: kthomas
Now I’m thinking I need another ultra 7. If I like the magnus thay much in cb maybe another. That’s a lot for a can that’s will have limited use for me.

Have you considered running the Area 419 attachment system? https://www.area419.com/product-category/accessories/muzzle-devices/

It consists of 2 parts - one adapter to screw inside your CB suppressor similar to a CB break and a thread adapter you screw onto the muzzle of each rifle. By adding a thread adapter to every rifle you can switch back and forth easily between a brake to a suppressor and they are left hand threaded so they don't come loose. If they did get locked, both the suppressor adapter and the muzzle thread adapter have flats on them to easily get off with a wrench or their supplied tool that comes with the suppressor adapter.

I run the system on all my rifles and it works great between different setups and calibers and it is reasonably priced - $40 per rifle for the muzzle adapters and $100 for the suppressor adapter.

I have a Dominus K-SR on the way for both hunting and matches. I wanted an SR because I won’t have to check it constantly and it’s less likely to carbon lock. I wanted the K because it will be more maneuverable, should have less backpressure/a shorter recoil impulse, and ultimate suppression isn’t my goal for a match or backcountry hunting suppressor.