• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC Ultra-7 vs Ultra-9

And have you shot them all? What's your verdict on the favorites and use? @NateVA
I'd say if I had to have only two centerfire suppressors it'd be the Ultra-7 and 338 Ultra. Those cover pretty much all uses well. Though the .22 Takedown gets the most use.

I have the Ultra 5 and Ultra 9 so the 7 I really have no use for, but if I was to get one and length still being somewhat of an issue, I'd get the 7. But if performance is key, go with the 9. Remember, the mount adds some length and after all is said and done it only adds around 7 something anyway.

I'd get a 9, then if length is an issue and performance isn't, get the 5 later. I use 'em both, they both have their place.

I went with the ultra 9 and my buddy went with the ultra 7. I’ve used both and prefer the 9. Then he bought the 5 and I have to say it is one sweet little can he runs on his 20” 6.5.. so basically if your going to go 7 you may as well go 9 and get a little bit quieter can if it’s not going to be on an entry gun anyways.

I’m up to more then a dozen cans now and the next to last one I bought was the Ultra 9 in 6.5. It is a great can but if I were to do it again I would go with a 7 or even a 5. 9” is a lot of extension on a 26 inch barrel. The more I shoot cans the more I am valueing accuracy and durability over sound. All the high dollar cans are quiet enough for me. A lot of the quietest cans on a meter make my accuracy worse or the same. I expect better...

I'm on the extreme end of the length equation. 28" barrel, 9" Ultra. The length has only tripped me up once at a match where we were shooting from inside a culvert pipe. It was pretty unwieldy. Aside from that, it's been fine for me. Granted, the matches I shoot don't typically have a lot of ports that must be shot through.

Don't forget, in addition to being faster, longer barrels are inherently quieter due to reduced pressure at the muzzle.

It's not very relevant to the discussion, but my 28" 6 Dasher with the Ultra 9 is the quietest CF rifle I've ever heard. People comment on the fact whenever they are around it.

Today I was shooting a new 6XC custom build and put on the Ultra 9 in 6.5 and was shocked at the sound reduction. The fellow with me said even the “crack” was muted. It never occurred to me it was because of the 26” barrel. Makes sense..thanks for sharing!

Reactions: deersniper
Reviving this. Ultra 7 vs 9 users. Any new thoughts on which you prefer to use overall?
I just picked up a 9 and have a 338 wth paperwork started. interested in what people say that have a 7 and 9

I already have a direct thread Gemtech sandstorm for a smaller lightweight can

I’m curious on the 338 vs either the 7 or 9. I’ve heard it’s nice, but not sure what that means from a practical standpoint.

Unfortunately I’ll probably be a one can guy, so I want to make the best of it, even though I doubt I’ll ever own anything over a 30 cal

Thanks fellas, your experience is awesome

5 (short and compact) vs. 7 (all around performance) vs. 338 (covers all the bases, it’s just long).

I feel like I have my mind made up and put the can in my cart, then I go back to the forum and find a new post that changes my mind. What a vicious cycle. I guess the only solution is to buy multiple cans?

Reactions: skierhs
I bought a 9 then went ahead and get a 338 too.

My sandstorm covers the light and short category.

5 (short and compact) vs. 7 (all around performance) vs. 338 (covers all the bases, it’s just long).

I feel like I have my mind made up and put the can in my cart, then I go back to the forum and find a new post that changes my mind. What a vicious cycle. I guess the only solution is to buy multiple cans?

I was the same way so I just started with a 7. I’ve got a 9 in jail and will add a 338 at some point. I’ve been very happy with the 7 and it’s my most used can. It’s the perfect balance between length and suppression for my use on a hog hunting SBR rig.

I was the same way so I just started with a 7. I’ve got a 9 in jail and will add a 338 at some point. I’ve been very happy with the 7 and it’s my most used can. It’s the perfect balance between length and suppression for my use on a hog hunting SBR rig.

This I agree with. I’m about to pull the trigger on both a 6.5 and a .30 cal (gonna do two different colors for ID safety) I plan on leaving the 6.5 in my match gun and swappitthe .30 around as I have many rifles.

Just put the order in for 2 ultra 9’s in 30cal. Stressed over whether to do two 9’s or one 7 and one 9 but decided length doesn’t really matter to me sitting in a blind or on a hill top hunting so went with the 9”. I already have a AAC cyclone that’s 9” long and it doesn’t seem to bother me except when I’m driving around with it on the gun in the front seat with me. Got lucky and a dealer locally had some ultra 9’s in stock so no waiting for serial numbers. Didn’t have any of the 22 takedowns so added a dead air mask to the trust right away.