• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC ultra 9 stuck on CB Brake

CSAKing

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2010
Greenville, NC
Went shooting today. Pulled my 308 that’s been in the safe for a month with TBAC ultra 9 attached out and tried to take the suppressor off. Nothing. Figured what the hell went and shot today and put about 30 rounds through it, tried to take it off after heating it up with a string of 5 or 6 rounds. Nothing. Brought it home had buddy come over and hold rifle while I tried to take it off nothing. Heated it up with a propane torch and tried to take off. Nothing. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas? I’m going to call TBAC tomorrow and see what they say. My next thought is soaking it in penetrating oil but I assume I’d have to dunk the whole can all the way to the barrel which I’m not entirely thrilled about. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Couple smacks with a mallet on the end (hitting back toward the action on the end cap) and tapping with a hammer handle around the back of the can where the threads are worked the two times I had this happen.

After the second time, I went the Area 419 route and it’s too good of a system to ever go back from.

Reactions: Ravenyzf-r6
Interesting. I have never had this issue with my Ultra 9. Are you guys winding these things on super tight?

Snug. Only happened when the can sat installed for 2 months or so.
Interesting. My does sit installed for a couple months at a time. We are a semi-arid climate here though, so very dry.

Interesting. My does sit installed for a couple months at a time. We are a semi-arid climate here though, so very dry.
I believe it has to do with the carbon residues drying and forming a glue like bond. It is very brittle though, so hitting the suppressor with a rubber mallet can crack the carbon seam and get things spinning again if stuck. Unscrewing it while still hot from shooting breaks the bond before hardening. Anti-seize coats the seal area making it harder for the carbon to get a grip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holliday
I will say that I do think it is good a good policy to pull a can when storing standing in a safe. This prevents any small bits of carbon that may come loose in the can from being deposited into the barrel, chamber or bolt face. Just my personal take.

I will say that I do think it is good a good policy to pull a can when storing standing in a safe. This prevents any small bits of carbon that may come loose in the can from being deposited into the barrel, chamber or bolt face. Just my personal take.
Good point.