• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell me about Kentucky

JMGlasgow

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    We are looking at a new chapter and are interested in Kentucky or Tennessee. Specifically Bowling Green area and central TN. My wife is a CNA and I would prefer to continue my career with Kubota. I've never been east of the Mississippi River so I'm completely unfamiliar with that part of the country. We are also visiting there in late May to look around.

Look at the history of property taxes and other. That will tell you the stability of the city's/town's financial stability. Where I left doubled in 10 years. Where I moved has stayed the same for the last 8.

My sister is in Lexington and loves it. She moved there after living in the burbs of Denver her whole life. Ive visited several times and its awesome how green it is and what you can get for your money house wise compared to CO. They call it Kentucky bluegrass for a reason. Luscious lawns/ pastures abound in the outskirts and you dont have to water much if at all it seems.

70mph winds...you mean like it is right now outside? It's ridiculous right now. I was in Eastern Kansas last week and the wind there was also bullshit.

Honestly the cost of living here in Cheyenne is getting ridiculous, and jobs are seriously lacking in my current field. Wages here also don't reflect housing and food prices so our income isn't going as far. My sub 1000 sqft house is now easily worth over $300k.

The only thing that is a negative about KY right now is they have state income theft (tax).

We are looking at a new chapter and are interested in Kentucky or Tennessee. Specifically Bowling Green area and central TN. My wife is a CNA and I would prefer to continue my career with Kubota. I've never been east of the Mississippi River so I'm completely unfamiliar with that part of the country. We are also visiting there in late May to look around.
    You hook me up with employee pricing on a MX5400 and I'll help you find a plot of land. 20 minutes from Nashville here. Joking but not really 😂

On a serious note the market is intense but I'm sure you'll find something. Happy to dm if needed.

MX5400 cab? Those are pretty nice. Get one soon before the EU Tier 5 emissions become law in the US. I'm really not looking forward to it. We will be visiting the Nashville area when we head out there as well.

Are long range competitions popular out there? I can't seem to find any decent shooting ranges that go past 200 yards.

Bowling green has the corvette museum and the corvette plant. Cool places to visit. Down the road is the Jack Daniels distillery, and pretty close to the mammoth cave state park system. Nashville is close but can suck it, although there are plenty of hospitals there for your wife to look for work.

Good fishing at Percy Priest Damn and Land Between the Lakes as well. Been over 20 years since I’ve been in that area, but seemed nice enough when I was there

I've never heard anything negative from anyone I know, who've moved to Tennessee and I know a few. Best of luck!

As I get older, I realize it's a great place to live. Second Amendment friendly, generally conservative ( with the exception of the 2 major cities - but the legislature keeps them in check ), land pricing is generally "reasonable", taxes are manageable, and the people are friendly. Good hunting, good variety of huntable species, and public hunting lands are available. I enjoy it.

Reactions: Slash0311
    Retiring to Somerset Kentucky later this year.
    Bought 22 acres about 5 years ago for 55.000.
    Already had the Amish build my 30x50 shop.
    I have a 500 yard range from the roll up door in my shop.
    110.000 acre lake Cumberland is 6 miles away.
    There’s a excellent liquor store in town that stocks Angels Envey bourbon.
    I think I will like it.

MX5400 cab? Those are pretty nice. Get one soon before the EU Tier 5 emissions become law in the US. I'm really not looking forward to it. We will be visiting the Nashville area when we head out there as well.

Are long range competitions popular out there? I can't seem to find any decent shooting ranges that go past 200 yards.
    Strategic edge in Chapel Hill and Dead Zero out in Spencer both stretch out pretty good and host long range, but practically you'll never shoot much past a couple hundred yards chasing game in this state unless you park under a power line.

Most my shooting buddies do more the 3 gun / IDPA thing, but long range sports definitely are active.

Tier 5 ?!?! Sounds like a horror show.

I guess I'll keep running my old Perkins Massey till it rots, but about this time every year it starts getting hot and wasps everywhere and I lust after a cab.

I don't think I'd be happy with the power and weight of a little L series after running a 60hp Massey.

I personally wouldn't want to live in Davidson county (Nashville), but Wilson county to it's easy or Sumner county to the North are fine places to live. Good access to Nashville amenities without all the BS.

Williamson county / South of Nashville is just crazy expensive till you get down close to the AL border.

There might be some almost affordable stuff out east towards Pegram but it's not for me, personally. There's been nothing out there for a long time so other than Nashville flight there's no old community / culture relative to other options.

Reactions: AllenOne1
    The Grand L series goes up to 60hp. The rear can be a bit light though. Ballast in your tires or wheel weights help.

We have been looking north of Nashville. Housing isn't too expensive there. I don't want a long commute to work at a Kubota dealership, and my wife doesn't want a long commute to a hospital either.

I do hunt, but I'm not an avid hunter. It doesn't bother me if I don't draw a tag or don't harvest. I mostly like shooting long range for fun and friendly competition. We have a pretty good "beer" league here that has 5 venues every month.

Reactions: Bender
    You won’t have to worry about being drawn for anything other than Sandhills and Elk. Elk will be at least 125 miles East of BG. good Sandhill hunting in neighboring Barren County. Deer and turkey are everywhere.

I’m about an hour north of Bowling Green and travel regularly in that area.

I've been to Branson, in August, I fucking hated it. The only thing I enjoyed there was Silver Dollar City. I'm not into country music or that kind of lifestyle. I'm also not old or fat.

If you've never been east you're going to be shocked at how close everything seems. There is no wide open looking at miles upon miles in every direction.

Good luck with the move. Hope you and your wife settle in nicely.

One thing that may or may not be a negative. Excepting the large cities, much of the west is pretty much un- crowded. The further east you go, the more crowded it gets. The exception is Florida. Its a really nice state, but its already overflowing and the home prices are unbelievable. (We know, our son keeps begging us to move nearby, but selling our lake house would only bring enough to purchase a tiny fixer-upper in the middle of town. Not my cup of tea.)

Reactions: John_in_WYO
    I live in bowling green Since 2018. Retired from federal gov and moved back to ky. Love it here.
    — As CaptArab said, Dead zero is about 3 hours. Its a fantastic range. I joined in 2020.
    —i shoot F-class and Camp Atterbury is about 3 hours north in Indiana. CIHPRS sponsors matches at Atterbury (https://cihprs.wildapricot.org/). Good bunch of guys.
    —Oak Ridge in Tennessee also has a great F-Class match schedule. (https://orsarandp.com/hp-events/). A bit over 3 hours from bowling green

PM me if you move here.

BTW, I have a farm an hour from our BG residence and my M7060 needs maintenance

Semper Fi

Last edited:
    I've never shot F Class. Only NRA High Power with an M14 and PRS style matches. I guess we are kinda spoiled that way out here. There is a 1000 yard range just outside of Cheyenne about 20 minutes away.

Hobdy Dye and Reed are the area Kubota dealerships. I live in Alvaton KY just outside of Bowling Green. Northern Allen Co is good around the lake. Very nice area. Lots are moving into Warren Co. Oh and I have 5 Kubota tractors! Sis just retired from the Medical Center here in BG. She was a CRNA. Did the hearts. PM me any questions. Good luck

One weekend a month Somerset has a car show downtown. The area is completely shut down for the cruise in type car show. It starts in the spring and runs through the fall. I usually get there a couple times a year.
    Retiring to Somerset Kentucky later this year.
    Bought 22 acres about 5 years ago for 55.000.
    Already had the Amish build my 30x50 shop.
    I have a 500 yard range from the roll up door in my shop.
    110.000 acre lake Cumberland is 6 miles away.
    There’s a excellent liquor store in town that stocks Angels Envey bourbon.
    I think I will like it.

I like Bowling Green. Lexington is a beautiful area too. I live just across the Ohio River in Indiana. The area around Hopkinsville/Madisonville is closer to me. Especially the area around Kentucky Lake is where I spend some time. Beautiful area and great RV camping and outdoors. I really like Kentuvky.

I grew up in KY. In a little town about halfway between Possum Trot and Monkeys Eyebrow. Left to dig holes out west in '78. Miss the people, food and prices. Don't miss the humidity or the bugs. I go back for 2 weeks every July. Not bad, it's a wet heat.

You will find out that the phrase "You can't see the forest for the trees" is a true logical statement.

During the summer after you dry off from a shower is the driest you will be all day.

If I were to go back I would look closely at TN.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

I'm just going to throw this out without first hand experience other than a little in TN. I would suggest TN just because K&M is there if you want to do PRS. TN no taxes is pretty nice too but it's filling with people too. The land just west of Chattanooga is the beginning of the Cumberland Plateau so you have some elevation without the price of the Smokies property. If you have money for the mountains, 3,100 feet elevation doesn't seem like much but on the side of a mountain in the shade the temperature never got above 74 on a 4th of July while down in the valley it was in the 90s. I hope you like humidity either way.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    South east is over run with full blown AIDS transmitting mosquitos, and property taxes are 500%…everywhere. I always tell people to move to Wyoming or Michigan.

On a real note, I wouldn’t trade the west for either Kentucky or Tennessee.

Strategic edge in Chapel Hill and Dead Zero out in Spencer both stretch out pretty good and host long range, but practically you'll never shoot much past a couple hundred yards chasing game in this state unless you park under a power line.
    STE is a private club but Dead Zero is public. STE does have some bench rest matches and Dead Zero F class. Lots of other F class and NRA matches around state, however.

I like Bowling Green. Lexington is a beautiful area too. I live just across the Ohio River in Indiana. The area around Hopkinsville/Madisonville is closer to me. Especially the area around Kentucky Lake is where I spend some time. Beautiful area and great RV camping and outdoors. I really like Kentuvky.
    Your part of Indiana ,there, is pretty dang cool too.
    Alot of people overlook Indiana, very free, beautiful place, cept fucking Gary and chitcago

3100 feet in elevation isn't very high. I'm at 6000 right now and 9000 isn't even 45 minutes away. That won't be a problem. The humidity is a but of a concern, but I'm sure I can adapt.

3100 feet in elevation isn't very high. I'm at 6000 right now and 9000 isn't even 45 minutes away. That won't be a problem. The humidity is a but of a concern, but I'm sure I can adapt.

AFAIK, there's only one location a mile high east of the Mississippi. That's Banner Elk, NC if you want to look at some pricey real estate. You can find similar living cheaper in places like Johnson City but everything is filling up and the prices are you know what.

I'm in North Central KY. There is a 500 yard range close to Borden, Indiana, just across the river (Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club). They run CMP / F-Class / Highpower matches there.

Knob Creek is in Bullitt County. It goes to about 325 yards.

Camp Atterbury is farther north. I believe it goes to 1000.

Boone county in the northern part of Ky. St, Elizabeth hospitals are everywhere and hiring lots of people, also a big big Kubota dealer here also. Amazon is building a giant facility here, hiring signs all over, international airport. lots of blue ribbon schools. Local police very pro 2nd amendment. Not many places to shoot long range.

Reactions: BCP
    AFAIK, there's only one location a mile high east of the Mississippi. That's Banner Elk, NC if you want to look at some pricey real estate. You can find similar living cheaper in places like Johnson City but everything is filling up and the prices are you know what.
    There's several points higher than 1 m in wnc/etn.

That is a real nice area. Just watch out for slow buggies on the road way.

Bowling Green is okay ... getting a bit crowded though. Scottsville Road (main thoroughfare) is a nightmare on the weekends. If you can manage to stay a bit outside of town, much better. Great outdoor stuff in shouting distance; good fishing all over the place like Trammell Creek (don't know if you can eat the fish out of Drake's Creek yet ... was bad a while back). Schools aren't great. Should you buy a place outside of town proper, MAKE SURE that there is broadband internet and that they aren't blowing smoke up your ass in the advertisement or giving you lip service about it.

Mall sucks, restaurants suck. Nashville is just a hop, skip, and a jump away though.

Bowling Green is okay ... getting a bit crowded though. Scottsville Road (main thoroughfare) is a nightmare on the weekends. If you can manage to stay a bit outside of town, much better. Great outdoor stuff in shouting distance; good fishing all over the place like Trammell Creek (don't know if you can eat the fish out of Drake's Creek yet ... was bad a while back). Schools aren't great. Should you buy a place outside of town proper, MAKE SURE that there is broadband internet and that they aren't blowing smoke up your ass in the advertisement or giving you lip service about it.

Mall sucks, restaurants suck. Nashville is just a hop, skip, and a jump away though.
    Have you been to Cheyenne? Food absolutely sucks here, schools are all ran by lefty liberals (I don't have kids though, and I shouldnt have to pay taxes for other peoples kids either). The mall is a ghost town, fishing sucks here (I'm not an avid fisherman so whatever). There is literally nothing to do here aside from Frontier Days, and most residents want that retarded rodeo gone. All we have is winter, 30 to 45 days of summer, and unrelenting wind. Every bar is also a liquor store, and there seems to be a church every couple blocks. I'm not a drinker and you won't catch me inside a church of any kind ever. If you want to drink and drive, get away with it, or get hooked on some illicit drug and steal shit, and go to church to make yourself feel better than Cheyenne is your kind of town.

Have you been to Cheyenne? Food absolutely sucks here, schools are all ran by lefty liberals (I don't have kids though, and I shouldnt have to pay taxes for other peoples kids either). The mall is a ghost town, fishing sucks here (I'm not an avid fisherman so whatever). There is literally nothing to do here aside from Frontier Days, and most residents want that retarded rodeo gone. All we have is winter, 30 to 45 days of summer, and unrelenting wind. Every bar is also a liquor store, and there seems to be a church every couple blocks. I'm not a drinker and you won't catch me inside a church of any kind ever. If you want to drink and drive, get away with it, or get hooked on some illicit drug and steal shit, and go to church to make yourself feel better than Cheyenne is your kind of town.

You sound kinda like me here in northern AZ. I'm heading out to a job site where we have 20-50mph wind gusts, and when the windy season ends the monsoons begin. But at least it's not 12 degrees and snowing. One day I had my guys hitting the piles of studs and headers with sledgehammers because they were frozen together.

And boomers from Socal are paying 300-400$ a foot for the houses we are building :ROFLMAO:

Born and raised South of Nashville (Williamson County) before it is what it is today. Prices are outta sight. Folks from CA, NY, etc. are entering into bidding wars and driving prices up that much higher. Lots of good in TN. However, where you get wind in CO, we get humidity. July and August are miserable months due to this.

We also have a farm on the plateau. I like my Kubota M7060. :) Not sure on your budget, we have a neighbor selling a 278 acre parcel with a 4,400+ sq ft home on it. Property is in Crossville, TN. There is a large Kubota dealer in the area; If interested, let me know and I can send details.

Is the humidity worse than Branson, MO or Dallas, TX in August?
    No, as long as you stay out of the Memphis area.

East Tennessee is the place to be but don't dally, all the people fleeing the liberal shitholes seem to be arriving daily and paying for new houses built with no yard just like the home they left. . .

I was living in Windsor, CO when this EF3 tornado rolled through in 2008. There were houses ripped clean off of their foundations. It was the worst I've seen but it wasn't the only one growing up there. At one point the tornado was 1 mile wide and total monetary cost was $147 million.

TORNADO-ALLEY-DEVELOPMENT-6PKG.transfer_frame_479.jpeg

Chasing low or no state tax is a fairy tale. You can deduct your state tax burden from your federal tax liability.

Low property taxes for the win.

Reactions: BCP
    Was a feller from Kentucky that invented the toothbrush. Most anywhere else and it would have been called a teethbrush.

Thank you,
    MrSmith