• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell me about your 6.5x47

coug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Hey guys I just bought a Beanland built rem 700 6.5x47 and would like to hear about you and yours. How you like it. How it shoots bullets that you prefer/powder that you like. That kind of stuff.
So lets hear it i am all ears.

Re: Tell me about your 6.5x47

Love the brass (I'm very lazy on reloading).
Powders: H4350, Varget, Reloder 15, N540.
Bullets: 130gr JLKs, 130gr Norma, 140gr Berger LR-BT
Primers: CCI 450 or BR4

Extremely accurate cartridge (see what is is doing in benchrest) and with 26" you can get 130grainers going at mid-2900s and 140grainers at mid-2800s w/o any stress on brass. Brass itself, w/ a small rifle primer pocket, is tough as hell, although it is expensive and tough to loss at matches, etc. Very easy to load mag length. Barrel life is good at estimated 2000 to 4000. Downside is that it gives up 50 to 75fps to the 6.5CM and 260Rem and some folks say the small rifle primer is a liability in cold weather.

I took 1'st place in my first Fclass match with a 6.5X47. Built on a 700 action with a 23" tube. Shooting Berger 140gn VLD projos, with H4350, and CCI 450 primers. Not pushing it too hard, about 2676fps at the muzzle, gets it >1400fps @ 1K.

It's what is working for me.....for what it's worth.

BTW, I LOVE the rifle!

I Love this cartridge for shooting steel & tactical type matches. In my opinion it gives up to much to the 7mm's to be a disignated F-Class rifle as you will be giving up 6" - 8" of wind drift per shot to the field.

As far as loads I have had great success with both of these loads.

Berger 130 VLD +/- .00
H4350 - 41.6 grains
CCI BR-4

Berger 130 VLD - .010
Varget 37.5 - 37.8 grains
CCI BR-4

Hey thanks for your input guys. If you could PM me some of your load data? I would like to see what is working and compare to give me a good starting place.

Your welcome, You won't be disappointed in the work out of Beanland's shop either. He is Top Notch!

I just bought a SAC 6.5x47 and I just went threw load refinement for my load useing 130 JLKs.

I'm loving the round so far, it shoots very flat with minimal recoil, especially compaired to what I'm used to, my .300 win mag.

I'm curious though has any one worked up a load for the 95gr Vmax in this cartrage?

I'm thinking this will be my new coyote round once I work up a load for the Vmax.

Coug-
One thing that you have to consider with the 47L is the freebore. Originally, the cartridge was built thinking the 123gr Scenar was the bullet for it. As such, reamers were built around that relatively short bullet. Now that the cartridge is being used to shoot longer 130 and 140 grain bullets, and the short chamber of a 123gr reamer results in sub-optimal performance -- either the 140gr is jammed depth in the lands or is sunk deep into the neck, taking up powder capacity.
So you should check what reamer Beanland used -- if its a short freebore, you might get better results with the 123grainers.

I've put 3 of them together (Savages) and they all hammer the 140 class bullets out to 1100 yds.

6.5x47
My load =
140 Amax
40.3 gr H4350
10 mils to 1100

It also shoots the 142 SMK equally well with 41g H4350.

I just got a couple of boxes of 140 VLD to try. For those shooting the 140 VLD, are you jamming or jumping? I want to try jumping about .005 to start with.

Thanks James I will ask I think he is going to be at a match that I am going to this weekend. I not sure though. I will ask for sure. Thanks for all the data you guys have shared I will take any info I can get. next week I get to start load development.

love mine

36 gr of varget
143 smk
br4 primer

2740 out of a 26" tube

I use 39.5gr of VV's n550 to push 123gr Scenars at 910m/s(2985fps).

Mine shoots great, love the low recoil, love the ballistics, hates the reloading process
grin.gif

ununge_nov_2010-10.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7b9kFna7-h8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7b9kFna7-h8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

put a suppressor on it and it becomes ridiculous
wink.gif

MrLebowski for the 95gr V-max's I had a 6.5x47 Lapua with 28" McGowen barrel and it liked about 39gr Varget and CCI small rifle mag primers.

Very accurate.

All I know this caliber is going to be my next build! I am thinking of a GAP M40A5 chambered in the 6.5x47. I am by far impressed with its ballistics... and now, MUST HAVE ONE! Thanks for the load data

My only complaint is the high brass cost. Other than that, it has no draw backs.

I have made consistent hits on steel out to 1350yrds with 123gr Scenars using 37.5gr of Varget and Wolf primers. Accuracy if phenomenal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have made consistent hits on steel out to 1350yrds with 123gr Scenars using 37.5gr of Varget and Wolf primers. Accuracy if phenomenal. </div></div>

See, this is what I am talking about!
nice....

Nice rifle. I am very exited to get through load development. and start waking steel with it. I kinda thought the long life of the brass would offset the cost. I am getting it for $76/100 rounds I didn't think that hurt to bad.

Greene what kind of velocities are you getting out of the Vmaxs?

I've got a 26" tube so they will probably be slightly slower out of my gun.

And Coug where are you getting brass that cheap for?

I'm going to be needing some more brass here pretty soon and that sounds very cheap to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle. I am very exited to get through load development. and start waking steel with it. I kinda thought the long life of the brass would offset the cost. I am getting it for $76/100 rounds I didn't think that hurt to bad. </div></div>

Thats the same price I was quoted for it, from a guy off gun broker. Not bad considering some people get around 12 loads out of a case! not bad in my book...

At a local supplier here in Oklahoma. I buy A lot well maybe even an unreal amount of powder/bullets optics from these guys. they treat me very well.

Let me clarify my statement. The brass is fantastic and will stand many reloads. I was referring to using it in tactical type matches where you don't always have the chance to reclaim your brass.

You can't reload it if you don't have it and it makes it more difficult to spot your shot when your trying to spot where your brass lands.
laugh.gif

good point.. But if your shooting a $2000/$3000 rifle .75 cent brass probably shouldn't hurt to bad.....???? Unless you lost your job or your parents cut you off
smile.gif

I'm on six firings of FL sizing and I've yet to have to trim a case. I'm getting near zero run-out with a set of Forster dies. With my load I get a slight ejector wipe, but the pockets are still tight as new. The brass is "brick shithouse" strong.

Well I guess I need to look around real hard when I go to get some then.

I saw someone sell 100pcs here on the hide the other day for $95 and it sold fast so I thought it was more expensive than that.

Around here no one wants to carry reloading supplies, you can get them from the big outlets like Basspro, Cabelas, Gander Mt. but they are so over priced it's ridiculous.

I've talked to the guys at the local gun shop and they could order certain things for me but they don't stock anything, they're more of a hunting type shop.

Try 3rd generation shooting supply on line. they are good guys and they will treat you well.

I get mine from powder valley for $88 = shipping. 3rd gen shooinging supply is up to $106 at the moment.

Is that who you go threw?

If so you are getting a huge discount over their online price.

On the website they have 6.5x47 lapua brass listed for $106.19 per 100pcs and that's w/o any shipping.

Powder valley is better $88.39 per 100.

yea thats who I go through. But I spend a lot of money there. if you call them and become a regular customer they will treat you well. I spend at least $100 a week in there. usually more and sometimes a lot more.

I'm running an 18.5 inch Lilja barreled 47L that Jon built for me. Have had it for a couple of months now and absolutely love it! My cheap load is a 123 SMK, 37.8 gr of Varget, CCI 450's with C.O.L. of 2.723/2.115 base to ogive (.025 off the lands). Shoots in the .2's to .3's at 2770 fps.

Just got some 130 JLK's in to play with. Havent't loaded any yet, but I have determined that C.O.L. of 2.835/2.145 base-to-ogive is where this bullet kisses the lands. There's only about .135 of bearing surface (.345 total seating depth) seated into the case at this length. Well above the case neck/shoulder/donut junction. IIRC, Jon told me he was using .170 freebore.

Thanks very good info Scoop. Now I have the scoop,Scoop.

I don't know if it's worth it trying to get to be a regular with them, especially over the internet.

You just can't have the same type of persnal connection over the internet that you can have in person.

Plus I don't think I buy enough in reloading supplies "yet" to make it worth working up to being a reguler, atleast based on their online pricing.

I spent a bunch of money on that hornady group buy so I'm good on almost all my bullets for awhile but I'm going to be needing primers, powder and brass soon enough.

I'll probablly just end up going threw Powder Valley as they have great online pricing.

MrLebowski my notes were showing about 3100fps @ 39gr of Varget.

I pushed the little case with the 95 Vmax's all the way to 43gr and managed to get a little over 3400fps ot of them.

39 gr was a bug hole group. I settled on somewhere around 40gr on mine to get the velocity around 3200+fps. It wasn't as accurate (about .5-.75 moa @ 100yds) but I wanted the extra carnage.

I'm already useing varget with my 130 JLKs so I guess I'll just stick with it for the Vmaxs too.

I was thinking you could get them little guys up to around 3400 if you really tried.

I like milder loads so I don't burn up my barrel too fast, I'll probalby end up in the 3100-3200fps range with mine aswell.

Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good point.. But if your shooting a $2000/$3000 rifle .75 cent brass probably shouldn't hurt to bad.....???? Unless you lost your job or your parents cut you off
smile.gif
</div></div>

You left out cheap bastard.
laugh.gif

Hopefully my 6.4x47 build will be done in a few months. Waiting on the McMillan A5 to come in. Surgeon 591 action, Hart 8 twist BBL, Med Palma contour. Building it as a switch BBL. I have my brass and Berger 130VLD's from Powder Valley. And a set of Forester Dies. I should easily drive the 130VLD around 2950. This will be a fun rifle to shoot.

I have a box of parts sitting at SAC right now for a 47L build with a custom ground reamer from PT&G. The freebore on it is .187, the dummy bullet I sent him, a 123 AMAX seated out long, has about 3/4 of the neck touching bearing surface on the bullet with the base of the bullet just a smidge below the neck / shoulder junction. My thinking with this was that I would have lots of room to pack powder. Hope I didn't screw myself with this little experiment....

Let me assist RAD in clarifying his statement: He's a tightwad, and I"m not talking about the pistol powder.
smile.gif

Of all the case dimensions available under the Sun to Lapua to mold a round for competition the product ended up 6.5x47 Lapua. It is not a case made by accident in Bubba's basement or even Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory, or Remington or Winchester who both fuck things up over and over as we lament all the time. Vhithivori-Lapua makes the bullet(s), the case, and the propellant.

The three top finishers at the Fall Bash fired ________. Others shoot as good, but none like it shoot better. Among others, Finns don't make junk.

I shot all the best powders in this round except Vv and the top bullets. All I got was some good experience and fine shooting and loading practice. They all shot exceedingly well. I re-barreled a 308 AI and it shot .2's. I re-barreled an Lr-308 and it shot .4's up to 2900fps with 123's and RL17 and a bushed bolt. I'd still be shooting it if some --------- hadn't stolen it.

Unless you wanna fiddle around in your loading room, just load up 1000 Lapua 123's, a jug or so of Varget, 37.5 grains of it, over all length of 2.7" in 1000 Lapua cases, light it all up with Wolf SR or CCI BR SR primers, and have fun. When you're done you can win any Bash they have.

Or you can do like I did and half wear out a barrel and end up right back where you started: 37.5 grains Varget, 123 Scenar..........
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You left out cheap bastard.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Cheap bastard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 39.5gr of VV's n550 to push 123gr Scenars at 910m/s(2985fps).

Mine shoots great, love the low recoil, love the ballistics, hates the reloading process
grin.gif

wink.gif

</div></div>

Any issues with the TRG and the small primers? Or did you have the firing pin bushed?

-pd

With the 3 Savages I've put together, none have had the firing pin bushed, and none have had any issues with pierced primers. I use CCI Magnums.

Hey thanks a lot guys. I am a fairly new guy to the hide and you have all shown professionalism. I have received some very good info from all of you. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle. I am very exited to get through load development. and start waking steel with it. I kinda thought the long life of the brass would offset the cost. I am getting it for $76/100 rounds I didn't think that hurt to bad. </div></div>

Thats the same price I was quoted for it, from a guy off gun broker. Not bad considering some people get around 12 loads out of a case! not bad in my book... </div></div>

If you are only getting 12 loads out of 47 brass you are running them quite a bit over pressure.

Coug,
I know where Third gen gets their lapua brass and how much they pay for it. If they sold it to you for that price then they are loosing money and even more so now that lapua recently had a price increase. Another thing you may want to learn is to keep your mouth shut when someone gives you a deal. That kind of thing is between you and them. I would be willing to bet that BJ would not be too happy if he read this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 39.5gr of VV's n550 to push 123gr Scenars at 910m/s(2985fps).

grin.gif

wink.gif

</div></div>

Any issues with the TRG and the small primers? Or did you have the firing pin bushed?

-pd </div></div>

Sorry for a late reply.

I haven´t had any problems with my primers and the TRG firing pin is standard.

/Lill-rambo

I'll tell you about mine once it shows up
laugh.gif

Its being built by Moon at GA Precision as we speak and I expect it next month sometime.

Rem action, Surgeon bottom metal, Tac Ops bolt knob, Manners T2, Shilen Select Match bbl to be finished at 26", shall be coated in FDE and the stock I'll be painting in GAP style camo in coyote, desert sand, and dark earth. I've got a Nightforce 20 MOA base, NF ultra light rings and a 5.5-22x56 Mil adjustments with MLR waiting around for it. I specified I wanted it throated for 130 Berger VLDs loaded to fit the AI mag, no turn neck. For reloading gear, I have a Redding FL S-Type die with a .288 and .289 bushing and a Forster BR seater. I've got 200 pieces of Lapua brass awaiting my rifle as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 39.5gr of VV's n550 to push 123gr Scenars at 910m/s(2985fps).

grin.gif

ununge_nov_2010-10.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7b9kFna7-h8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7b9kFna7-h8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

wink.gif

</div></div>

That is very nice!

da pig gun
built solely with a single purpose
20" broughton 5C
123 skinnie
42.5 RE17
3023fps, reverse calc from actual range dope via QL & EXBAL

RE17 baby

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">da pig gun
built solely with a single purpose
20" broughton 5C
123 skinnie
42.5 RE17
3023fps, reverse calc from actual range dope via QL & EXBAL

RE17 baby </div></div>

youre getting over 3k fps in a 20" barrel with a 6.5? what twist?

Think its a 8tw but i could be wrong, Told Tim i wanted to shoot 123gr bullets still that conversation was 3+ yrs ago.

RE17 really does give ya 150-200 fps more and still shoot tight

I started with H4350 but once they released RE17
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/alliant-reloder-17/

In my 31" 6.5x47 match rig 140 berger @ 2970fps
198 14x @ 500yds

RE17
Believe