• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell me something about steel targets

dcwillro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
Me and my dad made some gong style steel targets to shoot at, but we have trouble knowing when we get hits or not. I realize there is a similar thread to this but my actual question is do you need to use hardened steel to get the ringing "gong" effect?

We just made ours out of some 3/4in plate we had laying around and it's very hard to hear the hits, especially with ear plugs.

If you guys are making your own, what do you use?

I have some made out of 1” plate and they ring but you can only hear it at 400-500 yards my Ar500 gong is so much better but even it is hard to hear with some wind out past 800 yards. You really have to use bullet splash or target movemet.

I guess we'll need need to get an AR500 plate. Ours is the same, works great at 4-500, but at 800 it sounds the same as the hitting the rocks behind it. How big around is yours? We always try to watch for movement but our creedmoors just don't make it dance much. Maybe a lighter one would help with seeing it when the mirage is bad.

Mild 3/8" steel will ring decent and hold up well enough past 600yds with SA cartridges. Not as good as AR500 but when it's just sitting in the scrap bin not doing anything...

AR 500 steel will ring and obviously hold up much better than mild steel, but don’t overlook the importance of a good mounting system for your targets.

Letting it swing freely, especially from a single point will allow it to ring nicely, and get a good hit confirmation further out.

I’ve played with mild steel, but since I’ve gotten AR steel targets I haven’t bothered with anything else.

Last edited:
It's worth getting AR500 hardened steel. Will last longer and ring way louder. Free hang the target too, easiest method is the T-post hanger system. When the target is on a central hook you can even tell whether you hit left or right side of the plate by how the target twists.

If you're shooting it out at 500 yards and farther and if you don't plan to use any large caliber high energy rifles, you can go thinner on the steel and it will be both louder and more reactive to impacts. Here's some video of a 66% IPSC target at 575 yards, shooting it with just a 223. Sound is a bit muffled due to the position of the camera but this target rings LOUD, especially if you hit it with something larger than a 223. It's from D-M Targets with their hanger, and is just 1/4" thick AR500 plate. If you went with 3/8 plate it would be sturdier and able to handle most any rifle, but would be a bit less loud and less reactive.

For 800 yards and further with anything less than 338LM, I recommend 1/4" AR500. It will ring a lot better than 3/8", and at that distance terminal velocity and energy will be low enough to not damage the steel.

1. Electronic earpro or better yet...suppressor.
2. AR500
3. 1/4" past 500 yds -- rings loudest.
4. Single point mounting with fire hose or conveyor belt.

Wind matters. If it's blowing -- unless its blowing at you -- you're not going to hear distant hits.

I'm not sure I understand having a single point attachment. I understand how it would work better, but how do you keep it straight after hitting it? I'll watch that video tomorrow as I have terrible internet service here and cannot load it.

I'm not sure I understand having a single point attachment. I understand how it would work better, but how do you keep it straight after hitting it? I'll watch that video tomorrow as I have terrible internet service here and cannot load it.

You just use a wide strap, it'll straighten. Itself off what ever cross brace you have. I use an old lawn mower tire I cut.

Oh and if your looking for DIY and you have access to it. Farm equipment blades like disks or a cutting edge of a grader work well. But you can get fairly large 1/4" ar500 for a good price. I really like shootsteel7, I believe they have a full size ipsc for $99.

It's worth getting AR500 hardened steel. Will last longer and ring way louder. Free hang the target too, easiest method is the T-post hanger system. When the target is on a central hook you can even tell whether you hit left or right side of the plate by how the target twists.

If you're shooting it out at 500 yards and farther and if you don't plan to use any large caliber high energy rifles, you can go thinner on the steel and it will be both louder and more reactive to impacts. Here's some video of a 66% IPSC target at 575 yards, shooting it with just a 223. Sound is a bit muffled due to the position of the camera but this target rings LOUD, especially if you hit it with something larger than a 223. It's from D-M Targets with their hanger, and is just 1/4" thick AR500 plate. If you went with 3/8 plate it would be sturdier and able to handle most any rifle, but would be a bit less loud and less reactive.

I do so much enjoy watching vapor trails.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Okay I get it now. When I first read what Mooncake wrote about firehose or conveyer belt I was wildly confused for some reason. Needed more sleep I guess. I appreciate the help, I'm excited to try some of those suggestions. I might even have an old grader or dozer blade laying around somewhere.

Hanging: I like reinforced rubber, like mudflaps or tires cut into strips, instead of chains. Basically cannot be destroyed, and you can do single straps as mentioned above. The rubber also dampens the wobble, so they will move on impact but settle down faster to take the next shot.

Only thing not mentioned above is paint. Helps with splash. Make them all white at the start of the day, and for a good number of shots you can see the hit much more easily. This is not precision to count hits afterwards like holes in paper, but it helps with watching through the spotter at the moment of impact, in every way, even to notice if the plate wobbles.

People with better eyes than me paint part of the plate red, and can tell more easily, to very long ranges, where the hit was from that as well.

I use electronic ear pro as others have mentioned before. Now I also hang 3/8" on T-posts which give better visual aide. If shooting my 223 trainer than using a magneto target flasher is the way to go. we set the flashers up on 26" 1/2 steel for matches and the flashers still work.

I have to agree with everyone else use 1/4 inch steel past 800 and use a strap to hang it. That way when it hits you can see it move and should be able to hear it

Oh and if your looking for DIY and you have access to it. Farm equipment blades like disks or a cutting edge of a grader work well.

What is the correct terminology for these discs? Do I just ask tractor places if they have old "discs" that they will sell cheap? And what's a reasonable price for these?

Thanks, seems like a great idea.

Disc off a disc harrow. Just beware odd shaped surfaces send ricochets in odd directions. Shouldn't be a problem if you are shooting way out there just something to keep in mind.

Disc off a disc harrow. Just beware odd shaped surfaces send ricochets in odd directions. Shouldn't be a problem if you are shooting way out there just something to keep in mind.

Thanks. I'm looking at new ones and they seem to be ~6mm thick. That sound about right? Might be worth getting AR500 if that thin, given trouble I'm going to go through to get them in place up on a hill...

Don't forget about eBay. There is a $25 off coupon going on right now too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 5.44.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 5.44.54 PM.png
    447 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: