• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tell me what I got, USO Snipers Hide Edition #22

OldRussian

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2020
So I bought a rifle and this scope came on it. The seller didn't know much about it and I wasn't able to find much about these Snipers Hide edition US Optics.

Here is what I know: FFP, 1/2 MOA elevation adjustment, 1/4 MOA wind adjustment, 3.8x22x44, 35mm tube, illuminated, ARD sunshade, Snipers Hide Edition #22 stamped on the objective.

What is the model number of the parent USO scope? What year was this released? And most importantly, can anyone link me to the user manual for adjusting the zero stop.

Any information would be appreciated. I like the glass, I just can't find much information on what it is.

50865229256_c21cd64cae_k.jpg

50864516673_a11e930df5_k.jpg

50864516878_d07459d973_k.jpg

50865330342_e580fff437_k.jpg

50864517163_d339c66bcc_k.jpg

The original EREK turret took a little getting used to in terms of setting it up, but I liked the feel of the clicks and it tracked.

See if this video is helpful:

ILya

I had one of these many moons ago. The glass was pretty good. It tracked well. I had it a year and then moved on. It was my only USO experiment.

When I first started SH I was introduced to USO by a member, so I spent some time there, as well I used to attend SHOT with USO.

Unlike today, when I started the site I was introduced to USO as many do today. The difference then was, John Sr refused to let me use a scope until he knew I understood the scope. So on my dime I spent 10 days at USO building scopes and learning about them.

For years this site had a great relationship with USO until John Sr died and the company changed hands. At the time they had the Engineering Catalog where you can build the scope any way you wanted. It was an Ala Carte Menu to design and spec a scope. Confusing to many, eventually it went away .

The SH Edition Scopes were SN-3 Models but the user had the ability to spec elements of it.

I did the First MOA reticle for USO so if it’s MOA its probably my reticle too

I had one stolen in shipment I think #3 disappeared, don’t remember the exact number just know it was a low number.

I had an original ST10 with AO. It was one of the nicest scopes that I have owned and I really liked the blocky lines of it. I was sad to see their current lineup. I miss the old USO and I wish that I could stumble on a deal for the old ones.

(Ok.. not really because I am a cheap ass but I can dream).

Incredible thread! And I didn't know that LL knew JBW3 or worked at USO (even learning the trade). I did some development work for him on a polarizer that never became a product. I knew LL had designed a reticle, but never knew which one. Long ago, a great member here Doc76251was a USO rep on the East Coast. And a superb contributor to the early 'Hide. Went to a couple of schools with him.

A bit because of JBW3, but mostly because of Doc, I remain a USO acolyte to this day!

Referring to them as "Old" BTW will not make you any friends. They were well ahead of their time. And still are amazing optics. If the OP wants to part with that scope... let me know!

Sirhr

And to LL's point... the company is not the same at all now. The Foundation Series scopes carry on the tradition, but the days where you could customize down to tiny details are gone. It was one of the last true custom optics places in the world. And daresay, there will never be another like them. They still make decent products. But they are not the same.

I was out there a lot in the early days,

I was there for all the USMC Scopes being refurbished, I was the first one there when Senior passed away, I spent a lot of time at USO back in the old days

There were a lot of projects we did because they were so customizable back then. I probably have a 1/2 dozen USO Scopes still floating around

The ST10 was the best fixed 10x on the market, it was an awesome scope. The SN-3 were great just long and heavy, they were big scopes.

It was probably a solid 8 years we had a super tight relationship with USO, in fact I just say John Jr just called me I have to call him back see what he is up too

Reactions: WDN-K-9
I have one of the Mil/Mil versions of this same model. 35mm main tube, 3.8-22x44, objective parallax (ERGO). If you don't feel any attachment it, I've been looking for a partner for my other one and don't mind the MOA turrets. Would probably buy it.
I still have an old SN3 3.8-22x44, MOA , ergo and erek Elev. .. and spec. it with L-side windage with M40 scalloped knob.. I probably never get rid of it . to this day still the longest body of any scope I own . The glass on this one was pretty nice also .
I always a believer in 'less is more' and cleaner , ERGO front parallax was great .. less one side knob, and less mechanical/moving parts .
but if you like to focus threw mirage changes Downwind, to observe mirage changes in wind, than side parallax always has the edge .

I was out there a lot in the early days,

I was there for all the USMC Scopes being refurbished, I was the first one there when Senior passed away, I spent a lot of time at USO back in the old days

There were a lot of projects we did because they were so customizable back then. I probably have a 1/2 dozen USO Scopes still floating around

The ST10 was the best fixed 10x on the market, it was an awesome scope. The SN-3 were great just long and heavy, they were big scopes.

It was probably a solid 8 years we had a super tight relationship with USO, in fact I just say John Jr just called me I have to call him back see what he is up too

Have you seen any of the new production fixed 10x scopes from USO? I have been thinking of picking on up.
I kinda like the FDN17x 3.2-17x50, so I am cautiously keeping track of how their customer support is shaping up and things like that before I do more with them.
I have played with the original ST10s a bit, but not as much as I should have that.

ILya

Since we are talking about the original USO scopes, any chance we could make a list of models offered? I have long since forgotten their model names and I would love to track down a few of them. I really regret switching from my st-10 to the leupold mk 4 that I swapped onto that scope.

They made a cute little lpvo type scope that I would absolutely love to find and stick on my 22 hornet, but I don't know its model name and searching for "uso scope" yields more links to the current line.

*edit* I found it, the sn4 1-4x24 was what I was trying to think of.

Last edited:
It was an ACOG alternative

fixed power
Super robust

it’s an awesome little scope
SN 12 Rapid Response...it was a gem.

I bought 2 scopes directly from John Sr. I have them both. I have an SN3 MkIII 3.2-17x. I also have a special SN4 that John made for me with their Ultra High Res Glass. I used to visit his "factory" in Buena Park. I lived 25 minutes from there in Newport Beach. He was a super nice guy. I am a pretty serious amateur astronomer and we used to discuss telescopes a lot. He was very knowledgeable about optical systems of all kinds.

One of my favorite things is an electronic copy of their 2004 catalog. It is 150 pages long. I don't know if I still have the paper version. I should look.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Pretty cool. I like those old USOs. What reticle did these have?

This one has an MOA Reticle. It is fairly thick.

For the gentlemen asking if I would like to sell, I'm up in Canada. I don't know if ITAR would be an issue at the boarder without permit. I'm not familiar with how that works shipping scopes to my American brothers. Feel free to PM me.

This one has an MOA Reticle. It is fairly thick.

For the gentlemen asking if I would like to sell, I'm up in Canada. I don't know if ITAR would be an issue at the boarder without permit. I'm not familiar with how that works shipping scopes to my American brothers. Feel free to PM me.
You can ship back to USA no problem if so inclined… Sirhr

I sent my SN3 back from to the factory from Australia a few years ago. At the time USO said their products weren't subject to ITAR and there was no issues sending it back. Things might have changed now though....

Had one of the og st-10s on my 50. Miss both of those things.
3259A622-003E-42EB-89A0-134B1DEA1E82.jpeg

So I bought a rifle and this scope came on it. The seller didn't know much about it and I wasn't able to find much about these Snipers Hide edition US Optics.

Here is what I know: FFP, 1/2 MOA elevation adjustment, 1/4 MOA wind adjustment, 3.8x22x44, 35mm tube, illuminated, ARD sunshade, Snipers Hide Edition #22 stamped on the objective.

What is the model number of the parent USO scope? What year was this released? And most importantly, can anyone link me to the user manual for adjusting the zero stop.

Any information would be appreciated. I like the glass, I just can't find much information on what it is.

50865229256_c21cd64cae_k.jpg

50864516673_a11e930df5_k.jpg

50864516878_d07459d973_k.jpg

50865330342_e580fff437_k.jpg

50864517163_d339c66bcc_k.jpg
Who did you have do that to your Defiance action???