• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Temp job in MD, gun advice?

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I have been offered a 2 month job in Maryland. This job pays pretty darn well and I could really use it now. It would involve driving from the NW across the country to MD.

I really don't want to make that drive without some kind of gun with me. I also want to make sure that I don't get arrested for having said gun with me when I get to MD.

Any advice on what is allowed?
    My options to take would be

AR 15
    M1 garand in 308
    Glock 19
    Smith and Wesson 66 375 revolver

We live in the land of the free. Police are the good guys. No worries. Back the blue.

After Marine veteran Lloyd Muldrow stopped an attack by an armed assailant at a Baltimore bar, police officers thanked him — and then they arrested him.

I'd check the regs for each state, and if your CCW is reciprocal. Most of the western and mid west states are pretty easy going but DONT FUCK AROUND IN MARYLAND. They're gun Nazis. I'd stay in Virginia and commute if possible.

Reactions: Bullfrog08
    I have been offered a 2 month job in Maryland. This job pays pretty darn well and I could really use it now. It would involve driving from the NW across the country to MD.

I really don't want to make that drive without some kind of gun with me. I also want to make sure that I don't get arrested for having said gun with me when I get to MD.

Any advice on what is allowed?
    My options to take would be

AR 15
    M1 garand in 308
    Glock 19
    Smith and Wesson 66 375 revolver
    What part of MD? Fort Meade or closer to DC.

If it's a pick 1 deal then Glock 19.

You can now get CCW in Maryland, but requires a 2 day class It's also good for AZ & possibly a few others depending on class. Not sure if they issue for non residents but I don't see why not.

My advise for travel would be to get yourself a briefcase with a combo lock. Keep gun in case unlocked while traveling. If you get pulled over just spin the combo. "sensitive doc's inside" Should require a warrant based on a pretty good reason for LE to open it.

I'm not a lawyer, but it's advice I was given a long time ago living in Houston TX. Back then even retired LE couldn't carry.

If you are carrying a pistol into Maryland as a non-MD resident
    1. make sure it is unloaded
    2. put it in a locked box
    3. put that locked box into another larger locked box
    4, put that box in the trunk and lock the trunk
    5. keep one small magazine of ammo locked in your glove box
    6. don't ever put the ammo in the gun
    7. some MD cop might still not be happy with you
    8. say fuck this commie shit and find a job elsewhere

mdshooters.com is a great resource for all things related to guns in Maryland

You can also call the Maryland State Police, but it is possible you call them 3 times and ask the same questions you could get 3 different answers ;)

Live in VA and commute into MD is good advice

More interested in carrying a rifle for the cross country trip. I am not too worried about security at the jobsite or going to and from.

MD also has a bullshit pistol license you have to get

and guns are approved for sale in the state or not approved

for example, your AR15 would have to have an HBAR barrel and no flash hider or some combo of stupidity instead of normal standard features

really their shit is crazy complex with details, contact Maryland Police directly. No idea how any of this applies if you only live there for 2 months.

So the deal is that Maryland doesn’t reciprocate anybody else’s carry permit…

That being said Maryland is a shall issue state at this point. I am unclear as to non-resident permits in the state of Maryland. However, you can get a carry permit if you have a security clearance at your job is willing to give you a letter saying you have a security clearance.

Long guns do not require permits so far as I know… And an M1 Garand would be perfect.

That being said… You cannot be driving around with it loaded in your car.

Reactions: Jerry m and Maggot
    re a MD carry permit (same for both res and non-res), yeah you need 16 hours of training and getting the permit takes about 2 months, so prob of no value to you and yeah, they don't recip with any other state.

my understanding, which of course could be wrong, is long guns are legal in vehicle in MD if completely unloaded.

What part of MD? Fort Meade or closer to DC.

If it's a pick 1 deal then Glock 19.

You can now get CCW in Maryland, but requires a 2 day class It's also good for AZ & possibly a few others depending on class. Not sure if they issue for non residents but I don't see why not.

My advise for travel would be to get yourself a briefcase with a combo lock. Keep gun in case unlocked while traveling. If you get pulled over just spin the combo. "sensitive doc's inside" Should require a warrant based on a pretty good reason for LE to open it.

I'm not a lawyer, but it's advice I was given a long time ago living in Houston TX. Back then even retired LE couldn't carry.
    Depending on where you are they just say "We think youve got drugs" then search you anyway. Youre usually ok if you carry the gun in the trunk and ammo in the glove box. Not that it will help you in a situation ...

;)

You can also call the Maryland State Police, but it is possible you call them 3 times and ask the same questions you could get 3 different answers

for example, your AR15 would have to have an HBAR barrel and no flash hider or some combo of stupidity instead of normal standard features

really their shit is crazy complex with details, contact Maryland Police directly. No idea how any of this applies if you only live there for 2 months.
    Trouble is, as Kenny said above, you can call Md. state police 3 times and get 3 different answers. Ask me how I know.

After my last trip to capitol Heights Md. I told the boss I'd quit before I went back. Talk about a jungle...and you definitely cant protect yourself...

Last edited:
    So if you’re not worried about security there or going too and from….then What are you on here asking for? Do what 99.9% of normal people would do…leave your rifles at home, drive like a mature adult, don’t pick fights or hang out in seedy locations and have a nice trip.

So if you’re not worried about security there or going too and from….then What are you on here asking for? Do what 99.9% of normal people would do…leave your rifles at home, drive like a mature adult, don’t pick fights or hang out in seedy locations and have a nice trip.
    A 2000 mile road trip tjere and then back in winter means a lot of weird shit can happen.

Usually doesn't, but it can.

You can also call the Maryland State Police, but it is possible you call them 3 times and ask the same questions you could get 3 different answers ;)

VA is fairly 2A friendly. It's a 'shall issue' state. MD is very anti 2A. Montgomery Co is even more anti-2A than most. Less so that Baltimore Co. That place is a sh-thole

Course, I'm biased cause I'm in VA

M

Reactions: 308pirate
    not sure about what states your traveling through or all the new laws in those states , but we have done well in the past by separating the guns from the ammo , just keeping them locked and separated outside of reach while driving area's seems to work nicely . And we have gone through md , pa , and va . were stopped once or twice with no problems they were more interested if they were loaded . but there has been a ton of stupid laws passed in the last few years you could read up on them online . Best of luck on a safe travel for you .
    and do you have any idea's on a location to shoot yet ?

MD is pretty much full Retard re gun laws for sure, but most would not be in play for a temp resident. At least it hasn't yet gone full oppressive.

The HQL license is required for a new handgun purchase by a MD resident. Even that has loopholes. If you purchased a hand gun in MD prior to that license bull shit than you can just apply for the HQL card, no class required.

Hand guns do have to be on the MD approved roster & that has eased some lately. Now if a new variant of approved model comes out it's GTG.
    Come to think of it this may be contributing to the high murder rate in Baltimore. The Yute's can't use High Points so they miss less often.

High cap mags are GTG, you just can't purchase or sell them in the state. Possession and use is fine.

Small frame AR15 is basically considered a hand gun and requires the HQL to purchase + the 7 day wait, & yes if it is newer than 2013 AR15 in 223/5.56 then it has to have a heavy barrel. Any other caliber doesn't apply. Pistol AR doesn't apply. Brakes, braces & flash suppressors are fine.
    I think an SBR has to be certain OAL, can't remember what that is off the top of my head. I just went the braced pistol route.

Large frame AR is cash and carry for MD resident just like a 30-30. Fucking Genius's!

Suppressors are GTG.

Carrying an unloaded long gun in the car is fine. Letter of the law states the ammo should be separated as in trunk or Glove box. I've been pulled over by State Police on the way home from the range with back seat full of gun cases. Trooper never even asked.

If you have a choice then stay in Anne Arundel county while working here. Avoid Prince Georges & Montgomery.

Fort Meade rifle & pistol club shoots on the base and times are restricted, but it's only $25.00 for a year membership.
    https://www.mrpc-online.org/

PM me if you want good food recommendations.

Reactions: MK20
    A 2000 mile road trip tjere and then back in winter means a lot of weird shit can happen.

Usually doesn't, but it can.
    Lot of weird shit can happen anywhere. Usually doesn’t.

Are you going to get pulled over with a rifle in your car, in a state where you aren’t supposed to have one, and mouth off to the cop in a way that is going to get you pulled out of the car…..

Are you going to get in a fender bender, with a rifle that you aren’t supposed to have, and be such a dick that if/when the cops show up they search your car?

Are you going to travel down some bullshit backroad and flip off the wrong redneck and get in a hillbilly road rage fight so wild that you get your rifle out and threaten and or shoot someone….

Or are you going to drive on major interstate freeways, getting gas at well lit locations before you are on fumes and forced to stop somewhere sketchy, staying at reputable hotels in towns instead of sleeping in your car at truck stops, driving defensively at the speed limit, giving way to aggressive drivers, delaying travel during periods of inclement weather, and generally having no more expectation of a collision or a police interaction than you would have going to the grocery store?

Point is, I think it has more to do with your behavior than almost anything else and since you’re an esteemed member of the hide, I’m going to assume you are An adult with some self control and an ability to maintain some situational awareness in unfamiliar locations. Thus, I still think carrying a rifle across no fewer than a dozen states with varying local rules exposes you to far more risk than a few days of travel to what you have described as a safe location….for a two month assignment.

Of course, thats not going to be a popular opinion here so stuff that Glock in your pants and take your chances.…there’s a lot of brown-skinned, meth-addicted, gay LIBERALS (!) out there just waiting to fuck with a real American.

Reactions: rlsmith1

Are you going to get pulled over with a rifle in your car, in a state where you aren’t supposed to have one, and mouth off to the cop in a way that is going to get you pulled out of the car…..

Are you going to get in a fender bender, with a rifle that you aren’t supposed to have, and be such a dick that if/when the cops show up they search your car?

Are you going to travel down some bullshit backroad and flip off the wrong redneck and get in a hillbilly road rage fight so wild that you get your rifle out and threaten and or shoot someone….

Or are you going to drive on major interstate freeways, getting gas at well lit locations before you are on fumes and forced to stop somewhere sketchy, staying at reputable hotels in towns instead of sleeping in your car at truck stops, driving defensively at the speed limit, giving way to aggressive drivers, delaying travel during periods of inclement weather, and generally having no more expectation of a collision or a police interaction than you would have going to the grocery store?

Point is, I think it has more to do with your behavior than almost anything else and since you’re an esteemed member of the hide, I’m going to assume you are An adult with some self control and an ability to maintain some situational awareness in unfamiliar locations. Thus, I still think carrying a rifle across no fewer than a dozen states with varying local rules exposes you to far more risk than a few days of travel to what you have described as a safe location….for a two month assignment.

Of course, thats not going to be a popular opinion here so stuff that Glock in your pants and take your chances.…there’s a lot of brown-skinned, meth-addicted, gay LIBERALS (!) out there just waiting to fuck with a real American.

You seem to be somewhat hostile to me. I do not appreciate your comments.
    Have a good day.

Sorry man, not trying to be hostile at all. Everyone is talking about getting a concealed carry permit and living in VA. I was trying to address your actual question.

"If you wanna protect yourself, get a double-barrel shotgun, have the shells of 12-gauge shotgun and I promise you, as I told my wife — we live in an area that’s wooded and somewhat secluded — I said Jill, if there’s ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here or walk out, put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,”

Sage advice from the man in charge.

For the drive, after you get off the left coast you can plan your route to carry you pretty much all the way through Constitutional Carry states. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia. Only states you can't along the way, depending on your route, are Illinois, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. Virginia and Pennsylvania, if you have a concealed carry whatever your state calls it, is likely reciprocal.

Please, do your additional research and make sure you're good for carry in all those states.

For Illinois and Maryland, they have proven in the past to be very aggressive against gun owners from out of state. Above mention about taking it apart, locking it in a box, locking that box in a box, is good advice and exactly what I've done in the past. I make sure I fuel up at the Iowa and Indiana state lines and I don't stop for shit in Illinois, making sure to leave nothing but exhaust fumes. Sure would be nice if my folks moved to this side of the Mississippi, as visiting them is the only thing that gets me to cross Old Muddy into Obamaland.

When my ex moved my kids to eastern shore Maryland, I moved to coastal Virginia because I refused to live in that commie state. I met her more often than not of the Virginia side of the state line to hand them off. For you temporarily living there, I recommend you keep the gun at your temporary home for personal defense there and do not travel with it until you leave the state.

As for if you (or any other travelers reading this) need a firearm on the trip? Abso-fucking-lutely. Shady shit happens at truck stops and rest areas, from aggressive doped up pan handlers to car jackings and armed robberies, and how nice your hotel is has virtually nothing to do with how safe you are. Not knowing the territory and neighborhoods is bad enough, nobody wants to be Clark Griswold pulling off the wrong exit in East St. Louis, but that's a real threat. Being at an interstate exit is also a heightened threat due to the easy avenue of escape for the criminals along with ease of blending into the transient environment, and they know it. Out of state plates only heighten that risk because they expect you to be unarmed, especially with left coast plates. They're dumbass criminals, but they're not stupid.

As for what gun to carry, the permanent answer is always the gun you know best and will actually carry at all times. Getting out to pump gas, carry. Going into the pisser for 30 seconds? Carry. Stretching the legs for just a moment? Carry.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Take the M1 Garand, keep it in the trunk, unloaded, in a case. Perfectly legal in Maryland. Check your route to ensure their are no local restrictions where you stop overnight.
    good luck

That is well written and good advice, BUT, there are place along those routes that the cops will pull just because you have out of state plates. Going east they're looking for dope and going west they're looking money they can steal. Happened to me going west through Kansas. Cops broke every law concerning stops but what can you do about it when its you, in the middle of nowhere, and several cops with attitudes and guns.

I had a very advanced LEO friend tell me that if you need to carry a large amount of cash on a trip, always put it in an envelope sealed with packing tape and addressed to someone with a stamp on it. Then it takes a warrant to open it. Otherwise civil asset forfeiture is a bitch.

I actually found that the job will cause a scheduling conflict with a better long term job opportunity that is coming up in January local to me, so I don't think I will be taking it.

45 to 55 bucks an hour, time and a half overtime, and a damn good company to work for.

Last edited:

I was with you until the section in bold. You went full retard there…

• Haha
    However, if any of you have a clearance, especially a TS and above, PM me

ah ha, you are chinese spy and this was a ploy for cleared people to out themselves to you for kinky gay hammer sex or something

I remember back in those days.

Making sure you drove through at least 3 counties
    Or making sure you were going directly to and from a shooting range.

Texas 30 years ago was not exactly a friendly place for handguns or knives.

There was no such thing as your car/truck handgun, only your car / truck rifle.

I used to conceal carry a compact semi-auto rifle in a soft side viola case because that was legal, and thanks to the rather religious laws at the time, none of the grocery stores sold alcohol so you were all good.

I will also not be taking the job because fuck Maryland.
    Hey now
    68A108E8-BF9A-43DB-91FE-3B280B08C2F7.png

Depending on where you are they just say "We think youve got drugs" then search you anyway. Youre usually ok if you carry the gun in the trunk and ammo in the glove box. Not that it will help you in a situation ...
    But you were going to or coming from the range….

So the deal is that Maryland doesn’t reciprocate anybody else’s carry permit…

That being said Maryland is a shall issue state at this point. I am unclear as to non-resident permits in the state of Maryland. However, you can get a carry permit if you have a security clearance at your job is willing to give you a letter saying you have a security clearance.

Long guns do not require permits so far as I know… And an M1 Garand would be perfect.

That being said… You cannot be driving around with it loaded in your car.

To go further, yes MD doesn't reciprocate.

If you bring a standard barrel AR15 into the state it has to be registered with MSP within 90 days, but that also means you need to establish residency.

I have not seen a MD non resident permit so not sure on that one.

To get a MD permit, you again would need to establish residency, take the 16 hour class which are booked up and the process is taking 2 months minimum. In short, you will be gone before you could do all 3 steps.

Don't carry any loaded firearms in you vehicle. seperate ammo and guns in different lockable cases.

If you are close to Ft. Meade, don't try to bring them onto Ft. Meade. They have their own mess of rules for firearms.