• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

temp sensitivity powder question?

para72

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2013
gig harbor wa.
My question is, Is H 4350 the least temp sensitive powder for an .06 and 178 bthp with 22" barrel 1:10 twist?

Thanks for all info.

H4350 is a little slow if its for .30-06 (is that's what a .06 is) I believe all the Hodgden "Extreme" is supposed to be temp insensitive but I have never tested it. I would think you are better off with varget or 4895.

I agree. I believe that all of Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders are pretty much temperature resistant. Or that's what they say any way. I've use H322 EX and H4198 EX. Those 2 I can testify to being pretty good hot or cold.

Good luck,
Victor

I think this temperature sensitivity thing is a little overrated. I have never encountered a situation, (and I have hunted in different countries and on different continents) where a simple check of my zero was not possible before the serious shooting started. If H4350 degraded in sub zero temperatures, that's what those dials on the top and side of the scope are for. Even though I hunt southern border states, like yesterday, the temperature was 117degrees, you still have to take several factors into consideration, just like wind or up/down hill. Coastal Washington seems to have pretty predictable ambient temperatures. I hunt Nevada occasionally where it can be minus 10 and 100 degrees in the same day. I have never missed an animal because my powder was too sensitive. If I miss, it's me. BB

I've used H-4350 (E) for 338 , Win Mag and for 300 Win Mag-----both in model 70 Wichester rifles with standard barrels. IF---you load (or reload) to the maximum levels for a given cartridge and bullet combination----you can exceed the recommended pressure levels for gun/cartridge. While the load may be quite satisfactory for a cool/cold condition it may not be satisfactory for warm/hot conditions.
Actual example: While loading cartridges for the above, a near max load was chosen for both calibers. The cartridges showed no signs of pressure abnormalities when fired in Jan/Feb; however, when fired again in July/August, the primers showed a slight loss of radius at the shoulder where exposed at the rear of the primer pocket in the cartridge. Extreme in this case means that "within a limited temperature range", you will experience less of a velocity deviation than with standard powders of the same type. In my case; the ammo, being subjected to the intense heat of the desert sun, caused that (those) loads to encroach upon being "too hot"-----so, later, I backed the loads off a few tenths----the accuracy was still there and I've left the load unchanged since.
I do favor the "Extreme" powders---and I have noticed a difference over the older powders---(in the desert regions), but (I can't vouch for noticable differences in frozen environments, in Montana/Wyoming/Tetons)----------I've used IMR 4350, A 4350, & the old Hodgdon 4350--------If you run the rifle/load on the ragged edge, Murphy will find a way to mess with you.-----------I agree with BuzzBoss

I use theH4350 pushing 190 SMk's, never tried it for the 178/175 loads though but suspct I would go with a varget /4895/ 05 4064 for that weight bullet, the H4350 and 190 combo shoots sub half MOA in all weather in South Fla which is mostly hot.

Just to clarify, I personally, never use "max" loads. I do hunt hot places and know better. BB

BTW, I load for twenty-six firearms, including seven Ackley's and wildcats. If I need more punch than a 223, I break out the 22-250. If I need more than that, there is the 22/243, etc. But, I don't try to make a 22-250 out of a 223 by upping the pressure.

My experience says that at max loads you will encounter issues sooner or later. It happened to me with a 243 that had been thru OCW (fall time frame) and a few range trips without issue before blowing a primer out of a case when the temps went up 10 degrees in late spring. Yes, that was with H4350 and 115 DTAC bullets. SO, I would say H4350 has some amount of sensitivity.
Now, to answer your question, H4350 is a good powder for 30-06 and 178 bullets if you're not trying to build a magnum out of it.

Thanks for everyones input.

It's a hunting rifle (73 rem. bdl )that I occasionally shoot steel with(until my 300wm is done) and am looking for a medium load to play with.
Was using hybrid 100V witch I liked, but it's gone and haven't been able to find any. Got 2 lbs of 4350 for free from a friend and thought I'd give it a try.

Again, thanks for the help!

Isn't 57 grains of h4350 and a 165 gameking pretty much a go to load for '06? Or is that powder too slow also?

Well ive yeated a few powders for temp sensitivity and rl15 and h4350. My conclusion is no powder is totally temp sensitve.. they all very a bit... these two both sit in the 1fps per degree catagory for me... thats what i have to adjust for with my turrets... thats what my chrony and data all shows me too.