• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tents

526511A0-0391-476F-A51F-9F4E2CF949D6.jpeg
A2EADF92-3F5B-4196-9ACA-6901326D7C92.jpeg

My kids love camping in a tent.

A good one will be 850 fill goose down. And, you need to get the hang right. Too loose and you have a gap between you and your insulation. Too tight and you are compressing the insulation. In both cases, you are cold. And, your clothing is part of your insulation “system” when sleeping in a hammock.

Below is an example…

Isn’t the 850 just a rating of the Quality or the loft of the down? So a 950 has more loft for a given amount of down? And the temp rating is whatever the temp rating is built for?

Reactions: carbonbased
Isn’t the 850 just a rating of the Quality or the loft of the down? So a 950 has more loft for a given amount of down? And the temp rating is whatever the temp rating is built for?
Yes, higher number means more loft per ounce. A bag or quilt with 650 fill will be heavier than one with 850 fill, given an equivalent temp rating. And a 650 fill bag or quilt will also tend to be less expensive, all else being equal.

Reactions: Makinchips208
If you’re serious about sleeping bags, the two big names in the US are Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. The former make some quilts, of which category I never have used.

I’ve owned both brands and I lean towards WM due to the way WM constructs their hood and the zipper type, but they are both WAY WAY WAY warmer than a big brand’s “equivalent” loft or temp rating.

I haven’t yet used my FF (lost my WM long ago in an apartment fire), so maybe I will warm up to its hood and zipper. Very minor quibbles that might be unfounded.

I know there are smaller boutique manufacturers that I hear make a good product, but like an AI, the easy button is one of those two.

Yeah I’m familiar with Enlightened Equipment.
I just heard of feathered friends a week ago, didn’t know of them before. Looks like nice stuff for sure!

Reactions: carbonbased
Enlightened Equipment quilt here, cant imagine going back to a bag. I try to have a cot, when not a Theromorest pad.