• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thailand Food

MtnCreek

Moderater
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
I'm looking for a recipe for some food from Thailand. My daughter is doing a presentation on Thailand for some international seal on her HS diploma. She's pretty much set with all kinds of things from Thailand, except the vittles. She figures fish heads in broth will have a short shelf life, so was thinking a dessert may be the way to go. Long shot, but wanted to see if anyone here happens to have one tucked away. Thanks.

I'm looking for a recipe for some food from Thailand. My daughter is doing a presentation on Thailand for some international seal on her HS diploma. She's pretty much set with all kinds of things from Thailand, except the vittles. She figures fish heads in broth will have a short shelf life, so was thinking a dessert may be the way to go. Long shot, but wanted to see if anyone here happens to have one tucked away. Thanks.

I'd say drunken chicken wings, but there's a little booze involved.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/133318/thai-drunken-chicken-wings.html

Pad Thai or Pho would likely be the easiest... Pho is super simple. Remember that with a lot of Asian food, the broth is where it's at. Ramen in Japan is NOT the shit you buy in US, for example.

In WA, we have a huge Asian population and lots of great no-shit Asian supermarkets. You can get ANYTHING and I mean it. Find one of those places if you can.

And yeah, the fish heads are good to stay away from unless you know what you are doing. I've made fish head stew before with "Chinese Vegetable" (that's actually a fermented and spiced ingredient, not something you'd heat up and eat) and I liked it but some of the dishes are acquired.

She could also serve the insects on a stick too, which are big over there. Shrimp with the heads still on. Lots of spicy heat.

A lot of Thai food is served with rice as a side or over rice. Walmart sells a excellent Thai (product of Thailand) Jasmin rice. A rice cooker and a couple cups of rice is something she could take to school. After you try it you won't be buying anymore Uncle Ben's.

Durian candy would be an easy item. They are available on Amazon, or you may find them in a local Asian foods store. Personally, I like durian, but many folks can't get past the initial rotten onion funk. If you can tolerate the first few seconds of the taste, it begins to taste like over-ripe bananas. That is, until you burp and the rotten onion taste comes back up.

One thing about the Thai Jasmin rice is that it smells really nice while it is cooking.

Two cups water.

1 1/4 cup jasmine rice.

Add rice to roiling, boiling water.

Return to roiling, boil while stirring.

Turn heat down to simmer and leave it there for 28 minutes.

Tasty stuff my kids love it.

I hope you remember to wash it twice first! We use a rice cooker much easier to have it perfect every time.

I hope you remember to wash it twice first! We use a rice cooker much easier to have it perfect every time.

Nah, Im not too particular and I like it slightly sticky.

The extra simmer time has it come out at a good consistency, not wet. I hate wet rice.

Nice nutty flavor with Jasmine rice. At least it has flavor, its not just textured water.

Remember Thai curry is not the same as indian curry. My wife is half Thai, and my MIL is full Thai. Thai beef salad is pretty good, and not hard to make.