• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thank You Bear Pit (no really!)

Chill52, if you happened to be able read correctly, and maybe even followed the conversation, you would see that I was noting that someone else in this forum, in this conversation, told ME that chronographs were not accurate. I was quoting that person (with skepticism).

I imagine when this site was created the original goal was to have a place where people with common shooting interests could gather, share camaraderie, and share useful information. I'm sure even back then there was a good portion of ball busting, which is great as an aside. That has clearly flipped now, to the point that "supposed" gun enthusiasts prefer to talk smack and show how haughty they are in their infinite knowledge and capabilities by attempting to demean people that admit they don't know everything. Oh, and mock people with autism.

I have to believe that the original members and participants, as well as the current members who are more than childish wannabe's (and I would hope moderators) would look on many of you and your posts with distaste at best. I certainly do.

I also imagine that companies that might otherwise want to advertise here, or associate in any way with this web site are considering seriously if this is anything they want to be associated with.

I had hoped that I would find here what I find everywhere else I go and interact with gun owners and enthusiasts: a great group of people that are interested in furthering the knowledge and participation of others in all things "guns". THAT, I have certainly NOT found.

Chill52, if you happened to be able read correctly, and maybe even followed the conversation, you would see that I was noting that someone else in this forum, in this conversation, told ME that chronographs were not accurate. I was quoting that person (with skepticism).

I imagine when this site was created the original goal was to have a place where people with common shooting interests could gather, share camaraderie, and share useful information. I'm sure even back then there was a good portion of ball busting, which is great as an aside. That has clearly flipped now, to the point that "supposed" gun enthusiasts prefer to talk smack and show how haughty they are in their infinite knowledge and capabilities by attempting to demean people that admit they don't know everything. Oh, and mock people with autism.

I have to believe that the original members and participants, as well as the current members who are more than childish wannabe's (and I would hope moderators) would look on many of you and your posts with distaste at best. I certainly do.

I also imagine that companies that might otherwise want to advertise here, or associate in any way with this web site are considering seriously if this is anything they want to be associated with.

I had hoped that I would find here what I find everywhere else I go and interact with gun owners and enthusiasts: a great group of people that are interested in furthering the knowledge and participation of others in all things "guns". THAT, I have certainly NOT found.
Oh by all things holy, please be real. I need to start off 21’ on the right foot.

have you checked ar15.com yet?......i hear they have some legit operators over there......

....they are forklift operators.....but operators none the less.

buddy, i think you’ll find everything you’re looking for here and more. I’ve met some awesome people and learned more than i could imagine.

you’ve gone through your ribbing just like all of us have. We’re not perfect. We’re assholes. But, unless you’re a piece of shit, you’ll be welcomed here as a 2A advocate should be.

again, bienvenidos

50 BMG doesn’t really need ballistic info. It’s pretty much dead on to 1000 then After that just hold a little high. As long as you are close to what you are shooting at it’s pretty much a hit. It has so much energy through the air it will destroy anything within 3’ of it as it flys.

It's actually 4.5 feet, and this is exactly why you don't look for advice on the web.

You're welcome.

Wow. You are slower than a subsonic.308

Sez "Hold My Beer".

20210101_211520.jpg

PS: @Maggot is still "Ghey"!

Could tag mr owner and see what he says but I don’t think you are going to be super thrilled with the results.
It's actually 4.5 feet, and this is exactly why you don't look for advice on the web.

You're welcome.

Sez "Hold My Beer".
Fucking know it all.

@EasyW , the biggest obstacle you need to get over, is yourself.
If you can't handle some justifiably earned banter, then you need to buy a kayak, and paddle away down your river of tears.
The suggestion of a smaller calibre to start with, makes sense.
Refining your technique, will enhance your abilities.
An error at 100 metres, translates to hours of "where da fuck did that go?" at 1000 metres.
You'd be surprised how many top notch shooters drive .22 pills.
They hone their skills, body position, breathing, mindset.

Nothing better than enjoying time with mates, blasting ferals and hitting steel at distance.... and being beasted mercilessly for dropped shots and fuckups.

What you basically asked is:

I bought this turbine powered 18 wheeler, but I can't afford much fuel, so can someone tell me how to figure my gas mileage while backing it out of the driveway?
Oo this can be a fun game

Reactions: Rookie
Oh, and mock people with autism.

Oh no you're not, seriously?
All hell is going to break loose if you start talking about eating crayons 🖍 .

I think this guy us fucking with you all, he supposedly bought 3 different types of ammo and wants to buy a scale to figure out the weight of his Projectiles?

Come on Boi

These threads usually seem to happen on a boring Friday night and I've often wondered if some long time member, who knows our sense of humor, just takes pity on us and creates an amusing fictional character. Still suspicious about Buddley.
Like, say, LL? Perhaps tossing fruitcakes in the pit for amusement? My double entendre is purely intentional...

Sirhr

This is the info a ballistic calculator needs to give you a firing solution.

Bullet Info Needed:
1. bullet diameter.
2. bullet weight (in grains usually)
3. bullet length
4. bullet drag better known as ballistic coefficient BC (what you don't know about yours)

Rifle Info Needed:
1. Sight Height (Centerline of scope above centerline of barrel)
2. Zero Range (Usually 100yds)
3. Barrel Twist rate
4. Muzzle Velocity ft/s

Now if you have all of the above except BC you could find the BC for a similar weight bullet and plug that info into a ballistic calculator get some real world DOPE out to distance say 800-1000yds. Now you can kind of reverse into finding the correct BC for your bullet by.......

Example:

You shoot at 800 yds and the ballistic calculator calls for 7 MILS of elevation, but you actually needed 7.8 MILS of elevation the ballistic calculator (assuming all other data is correct) is either thinking your bullet is going faster than it is or your BC is greater than it is. You could adjust your input BC until the firing solution matches the actual elevation it took to be on target. The reverse of this is if you knew your BC, but not your MV you could adjust the input MV until it matched the actual elevation it took to be on target. This would be reversing into the correct MV.

Hope this makes sense I may have miscalculated your experience....LOL

This is a great place with a bunch of good guys, but you do have to get over the ballbusting at times!

Dammit
You had to go and spoon feed him all the info.
I'm taking you off my Christmas card list for that.

This is what I get for goin ta sleep . EasyW Paalease trust me on this .
This is Day Room , Bear Pit , locker room etc Mild ball bustin . There is Zero win attempting to give it back .
The wealth of knowledge and the actual quality of the folks here is exponentially worth a little interwebs ass rapin .
Let me say that again . Suck it up and laugh it off . It is not worth burnin a bridge over a little towel snappin .
The answer you're looking for is not completely available . You can get ballpark with ballistic data but DOPE is king . ( Data On Previous Engagemnet ) . Long and short of it is you gotta do the work and go thru some ammo .
In conclusion take the good advice given or feel free to continue the festivities .

Hello gentlemen, I need help with something. I have recently purchased a new turbocharged hi-flush toilet. Unfortunately thanks to environmental regulations , our water pressure is only 10 percent of what is required to operate this beast of a commode. This morning I dropped three turds of various grains . Can someone help me figure ot out the formula to send these things down the hole ?

Hi,

Holy shit geez....

You are the one that came in here asking for something that takes you 2 minutes to get from the website you made the purchase from...and then demanding instant gratification of someone spoon feeding you!!
YEA, that not going to end without lots of butthurt on your end, clearly.

Reality is I could give you ALL the ballistic information you are seeking and it would not matter 1 inch in regards to YOU actually being able to take your 107 out past 600yards because the elevation side of exterior ballistics is the easy calculation....you will miss with any of that ammunition you have because of wind long before you missing because BC off by ABC percentage.

And who is mocking autism, lol?

FWIW...you may wat to take a few hours and read up on some of the insightful members knowledge base here before you go spinning out of control....trust me.

Sincerely,
Theis

A quart of 93 octane, 87 will work but increase the amount, and a m-80.
The juice first followed by the m-80
Works every time.
Hello gentlemen, I need help with something. I have recently purchased a new turbocharged hi-flush toilet. Unfortunately thanks to environmental regulations , our water pressure is only 10 percent of what is required to operate this beast of a commode. This morning I dropped three turds of various grains . Can someone help me figure ot out the formula to send these things down the hole ?

I think he's just lost and wandered into the pit seeking help but didn't know how to ask for directions.
Like a 12 year old Amish kid walking into a drunken party. The shock factor was too much and the freeze, flight or fight kicked in.
Hi,

Holy shit geez....

You are the one that came in here asking for something that takes you 2 minutes to get from the website you made the purchase from...and then demanding instant gratification of someone spoon feeding you!!
YEA, that not going to end without lots of butthurt on your end, clearly.

Reality is I could give you ALL the ballistic information you are seeking and it would not matter 1 inch in regards to YOU actually being able to take your 107 out past 600yards because the elevation side of exterior ballistics is the easy calculation....you will miss with any of that ammunition you have because of wind long before you missing because BC off by ABC percentage.

And who is mocking autism, lol?

FWIW...you may wat to take a few hours and read up on some of the insightful members knowledge base here before you go spinning out of control....trust me.

Sincerely,
Theis

The chicken said that about chronographs.

The Chikn doesn't use a chronograph anymore.
The Chikn said what he meant to say, but didn't say it "accurate" on purpose.
"Precise" and "accurate" are the terms related to a chronograph.
Chronographs arrent precise, they are accurate. They are great tools for figuring SD.

Now....I haven't used a Chrono in....oh...10 years I reckon. Maybe I'm old school, maybe I'm just not doing what the cool kids do in 2021. I expect the methods I was taught are likely poopooed by the latest fad disciples.
The method taught me by Tom Sarver still works very very well.....and its cheap.
SD doesn't indicate the accuracy of a load either. Consistency, yes. Ive seen a lot of single digit loads end up shit on actual target. Accuracy and consistency....you need them both.

I think he's just lost and wandered into the pit seeking help but didn't know how to ask for directions.
Like a 12 year old Amish kid walking into a drunken party. The shock factor was too much and the freeze, flight or fight kicked in.
This is the extent of my forum surfing nowadays, but I wonder if LLs creation is somewhat unique. It can be totally brutal to newcomers and a true test of their personality. At the same time, it is an amazing wealth of knowledge I don't think is replicated elsewhere, just due to its mix of members. I wonder if other hobbies, like scuba diving or crocheting, have anything similar.

This is the extent of my forum surfing nowadays, but I wonder if LLs creation is somewhat unique. It can be totally brutal to newcomers and a true test of their personality. At the same time, it is an amazing wealth of knowledge I don't think is replicated elsewhere, just due to its mix of members. I wonder if other hobbies, like scuba diving or crocheting, have anything similar.
LRH has some pretty knowledgeable dudes over there and the search function can yield lots of good info, but the cast of characters and the overall tone is definitely different. No one is really given the simultaneous Indian rope burn/wedgie/head thump welcome test to see if they can take a joke and shut up long enough to listen and learn.

There’s some good leads in this thread for him to pursue. Not sure why he wants to be spoon fed and coddled. Trying to learn on a 50 cal? Stray shot? Nope.

Reactions: Bender
Seem to remember some posts about this.
Please, whatever you do, don't shoot it FAST ! Just S L O W, steady, fire.
The world is already spinning to quickly.

The 50 proves the newb he is.

Hey! Its what I started on!

Honestly....a lot of times...its the surest way to spot a bone stock dunderhead, or a kid with no direction. I shall give this example:

There was a time in the early 80s, that Remington advertised its model 700 in all the gun mags. They often featured a closeup of the clambering stamp "7mm Remington Magnum", it gave pubescent hunters goose bumps. They also featured the ".458 Winchester Magnum"....oooohhh....itll make rabbits run over your grave....sexy.

There was a certain boy, his father constantly accusing him of "pissing strong against the ground", who being a hard working little bastard, had earned an extra special birthday present for his 13th.
Now, having parents who knew nothing of guns beyond "shotgun is all we had after the Depression, it fed us just fine", this...child, had a chance to do something incredibly stupid. Sure, he wanted the .458, but stupid as he was, even he knew it was slightly overkill for a eastern whitetail. Sure, if he was gonna hunt elk, it'd be different. Plus, he also knew that the Sebben Maggum was flat...I mean like super flat, like, 500yds just aim top edge of his back....DRT.

Well to make a long story short, the kid got the rifle. The kid became an ardent trigger Jerker shell shocked nervous wreck. The very next year, that kids uncle had a talk with Elmer and Lucy Fudd, and told them to sell that damn howitzer, and get that kid a .243 Winchester, "Before he is ruined for life, for ever becoming proficient with a rifle."

Who was that kid you ask?
Hell I dont know, I just thought it was a gay ass story that would be a perfect fit in this trainwreck.

@EasyW

I’ll help you out as the learning curve around here is super steep at first.

So, the bear pit is usually where people start topics that usually don’t have anything to do with shooting. There are a vast number of locations for you to post your question and get answers. Your first mistake was going into a thread that someone started to say thanks for the bear pit guys, then tried to turn it into your own, “I need help thread.” As pointed out before, go start your own thread in the stupid marksmanship questions.

So naturally after your forum faux pas, the boys gave you some grief, which you internalized and responded like you did. Which will once again get you nothing but more harassment.

So, stop posting your responses to the post here, because the ribbing isn’t going to stop without self correction. Go post your question where it should be, and be a little more humble. A vast number of members here are more than willing to help you out, and to educate you in your endeavor. Be willing to listen, even when you think the answers were written by a dick. You are asking for their time and effort in your education. Most places that cost money, here it cost humility and the willingness to place your ego to the side.

Enjoy your time on the Hide. Everything you would ever want to know about long range shooting and more is at your finger tips, if you chose to heed this message.

Cheers

Last edited:
The Chikn doesn't use a chronograph anymore.
The Chikn said what he meant to say, but didn't say it "accurate" on purpose.
"Precise" and "accurate" are the terms related to a chronograph.
Chronographs arrent precise, they are accurate. They are great tools for figuring SD.

Now....I haven't used a Chrono in....oh...10 years I reckon. Maybe I'm old school, maybe I'm just not doing what the cool kids do in 2021. I expect the methods I was taught are likely poopooed by the latest fad disciples.
The method taught me by Tom Sarver still works very very well.....and its cheap.
SD doesn't indicate the accuracy of a load either. Consistency, yes. Ive seen a lot of single digit loads end up shit on actual target. Accuracy and consistency....you need them both.

I have chronograph and dont use it anymore. Well, on special occasion. More often than not it tells me what I already know because I don't use it first.

Thanks to you two that song is now stuck in my brain.

Thats unfortunate. Mike is a good guy, and I can't imagine that he had any malice of four thoughts.
As a matter of fact, Mike, being the stand up guy he is, he will never give you up, he will never let you down, he will never run around and, desert you......