• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Thank you guys

AZ.noob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I competed in my first F/TR match yesterday, and I want to thank all of you fellas and ladies for sharing so much information and knowledge. My aggregate was 564 10X, and I improved with each string. Out of 70~some competitors, I finished right at mid-pack. For a noobie (at a big equipment disadvantage, running with the big boys), I couldn't have been happier. My goals for the day were:

• LEARN
  • Improve
  • Don't get yelled at

I'm proud to say I accomplished all three, beyond my wildest aspirations. I have y'all to thank:D

Good for you! Getting out there and shooting your first match is always the hardest IMO. After that, it just gets better.

Disclosure. I've yet to shoot my first rifle match. Pistol matches aplenty, but not rifle yet. This year is the year though, since I just really got started last year.

I didn't fully comprehend the level of not only equipment but of skill on a competitive firing line. At public ranges, I'm usually pretty confident. My equipment and targets tend to attract attention;) but being out there with serious F-class guys... was humbling, to say the least.

My wallet has taken a serious beating:eek:

If you don't get yelled at the first time out, you're not doing it right :). Seriously, sounds like it was a good learning experience and you had fun. Both are important.

As far as the WE (Wallet Emptying) Effect, it can and will happen. The best advice I can give you is the tried and true "Buy once, cry once". Although it sounds cliche, it's very true. I can't tell you how many odds and ends of shooting gear I have that seemed like a good idea at the time, only to find out later were not what I really wanted or needed. The internet can be your friend in this arena. Research carefully and don't hesitate to solicit the opinions of others that have actually purchased and used a particular piece of gear before buying it yourself. Limiting purchases to "must have" rather than "want to have" can be helpful, particularly when first starting out as many new toys will constantly catch your eye.

Finally, focus your efforts on quality ammunition and wind reading. Having a solid load optimized for your rifle is critical; if you don't reload, this is a place where a fair bit of money can be spent, but is usually worth it in the long run. Further, you will lose many, many more points to bad wind calls than by not having the absolute latest and newest piece of high tech gear. "The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters" by Linda Miller and Keith Cunningham is a good place to start. Nancy Tompkins' book, "Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting" is also an excellent source of information. When you start seeing your scores go up because you're making good wind calls while others around you are dropping points, the value of good wind reading skills will become more apparent.

Best of luck and welcome to the sickness!

If you don't get yelled at the first time out, you're not doing it right :). Seriously, sounds like it was a good learning experience and you had fun. Both are important.

As far as the WE (Wallet Emptying) Effect, it can and will happen. The best advice I can give you is the tried and true "Buy once, cry once". Although it sounds cliche, it's very true. I can't tell you how many odds and ends of shooting gear I have that seemed like a good idea at the time, only to find out later were not what I really wanted or needed. The internet can be your friend in this arena. Research carefully and don't hesitate to solicit the opinions of others that have actually purchased and used a particular piece of gear before buying it yourself. Limiting purchases to "must have" rather than "want to have" can be helpful, particularly when first starting out as many new toys will constantly catch your eye.

Finally, focus your efforts on quality ammunition and wind reading. Having a solid load optimized for your rifle is critical; if you don't reload, this is a place where a fair bit of money can be spent, but is usually worth it in the long run. Further, you will lose many, many more points to bad wind calls than by not having the absolute latest and newest piece of high tech gear. "The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters" by Linda Miller and Keith Cunningham is a good place to start. Nancy Tompkins' book, "Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting" is also an excellent source of information. When you start seeing your scores go up because you're making good wind calls while others around you are dropping points, the value of good wind reading skills will become more apparent.

Best of luck and welcome to the sickness!

+1